• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Varying Illusion Lengths Confirmed?

tokenturtle

Smash Rookie
So top Fox player, Larry Lurr, seems to have confirmed that you can shorten and extend the lengths of Fox's illusion. It can be seen here and he says it can be done in a reply he makes. Anybody know how to do this?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Wow that's pretty cool. I don't have the game on me, but if it's the same as in Melee and Brawl, you just press B right before Illusion starts to shorten it. Listen to the "PING" noise and press it asap.

No idea on the extended part though. This is pretty wild and makes Fox's recovery a hell of a lot better.

It's nice that Up-B's hitbox is better now too, it seems like they gave him the non-borked stuff on his specials that he had back in Melee.

EDIT: T tokenturtle I figured it out.

The hitbox distance itself cannot be shortened. That is always going to stay the same.

The distance he travels after the hitbox ends though, that can be altered! This was definetely not a thing in Smash4 and it's going to be pretty useful. Although the adjustments you can make are not as impactful as in Melee.

But still it's enough that it makes a difference with avoiding gimps (like Larry did) or for making the ledge without consuming your double jump. Also, this only works with the aerial version. Not with the grounded one.

I tested it on the Training Stage in the Battlefield layout. With Fox's back foot right on line 30:
- move the control stick back, and Fox lands center stage
- do not move the control stick and Fox lands near the platform on the other side
- move the control stick forward and Fox lands below the platform on the other side (he can also land on the platform if you full jump instead of short hop)

So again, these aren't drastic distance changes, but it's enough that it can throw off punishes. And it's very simple to do in this game too!

Last edited:

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Yeah this will definitely come in handy. Want to go alittle further? Just hold forward. Want to go a little shorter? Just hold back. Most of us were probably already using the farther version anyway but it's good to know you can control the distance slightly.

Last edited:

S-Critical

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB2187
Wow that's pretty cool. I don't have the game on me, but if it's the same as in Melee and Brawl, you just press B right before Illusion starts to shorten it. Listen to the "PING" noise and press it asap.

No idea on the extended part though. This is pretty wild and makes Fox's recovery a hell of a lot better.

It's nice that Up-B's hitbox is better now too, it seems like they gave him the non-borked stuff on his specials that he had back in Melee.

EDIT: T tokenturtle I figured it out.

The hitbox distance itself cannot be shortened. That is always going to stay the same.

The distance he travels after the hitbox ends though, that can be altered! This was definetely not a thing in Smash4 and it's going to be pretty useful. Although the adjustments you can make are not as impactful as in Melee.

But still it's enough that it makes a difference with avoiding gimps (like Larry did) or for making the ledge without consuming your double jump. Also, this only works with the aerial version. Not with the grounded one.

I tested it on the Training Stage in the Battlefield layout. With Fox's back foot right on line 30:
- move the control stick back, and Fox lands center stage
- do not move the control stick and Fox lands near the platform on the other side
- move the control stick forward and Fox lands below the platform on the other side (he can also land on the platform if you full jump instead of short hop)

So again, these aren't drastic distance changes, but it's enough that it can throw off punishes. And it's very simple to do in this game too!
Just adding a couple of things that Cozy said, here's a video of illusion being done when drifting back (holding back after illusion), no drifting and drifting forwards.

https://gfycat.com/WealthyFoolishIndianspinyloach

It is hard to see, but you can see that Fox only starts altering his direction AFTER the illusion part of the move is done. If you look closely to when illusion is actually done, Fox is in the exact same position for all the recordings. It is only after the illusion that you see the other 2 Foxes branch off as they go their separate directions, proving that the illusion distance itself is fixed.

In smash 4, Fox could only start drifting once the entire side B animation was finished. In Ultimate, he reaches a certain frame (I don't know the exact frame) during his recovery in which he can start drifting forwards or backwards. Made an image for easy understanding

Side B drift visualisation w lines.png

Last edited:

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
pretty good find! are there any BnB videos out there? I know you can link Nair into Dtilt into Nair at low %

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
pretty good find! are there any BnB videos out there? I know you can link Nair into Dtilt into Nair at low %
You should look for Larry's video, and Skarfelt's video. Larry's is imo better for starting out. Skarfelt has some crazier stuff but still worth looking at for bnb's.

Fox's combo starter is usually startup N-air, D-tilt, and at more than 30% U-tilt and late N-air.

Top Bottom