• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VaNz Stuff.. about Peach (Tactical Discussion)

K@$h

Smash Cadet
this is going to sound pretty noobish, but how do you guys Wd OOS. i find my self having to hold L for shield and then WD out of it using Y&R. i just kind of find it annoying b/c i shield with R. is this the only way it can be done, or can just hitting buttons really fast get the same effect aswell (shield R, WD with R) thanks in advance

Xyzz

Smash Champion
this is going to sound pretty noobish, but how do you guys Wd OOS. i find my self having to hold L for shield and then WD out of it using Y&R. i just kind of find it annoying b/c i shield with R. is this the only way it can be done, or can just hitting buttons really fast get the same effect aswell (shield R, WD with R) thanks in advance
I shield with R as well (can't get rid of that :D), and WD OOS isn't really a problem. Hit jump, let go of shield, input the right angle on control stick, airdodge. Hint: it's ok to screw up a little, because the XX frames (I never remember that) unshielding animation that plays when you just let go of shield can be jump cancelled as well. So ya, just don't input direction before being in jump squat, but still holding shield.

But Doh and I play Peach differently *shrug*
Nobody plays Peach like Doh :D

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's why Armada gets wrecked by hbox because he instinctively tries to outfair him, but you really should be only using fair when you are falling down as you drift away so you hit with just the tip to cover your descent.

I think fsmash is underutilized in the matchup. It covers that bair and it's disjointed.

Also trapping puff on the ground is so good. Forcing her to roll by the edge and covering with nair/downsmash is sweet.

Also I can't believe no one has mentioned this; pretty much always be crouch canceling. And throw out upsmashes if they are crossing over you

Juan and I should record some singles matches some day.
Yeah I'm just gonna expand a few of these because I think DoH and I have similar views on a lot of these points and sometimes single lines confuse new people.

Fair loses to bairs if you're not coming in from one of the correct angles. Fair is not really strong vs bair walling as a general rule because it gets out-timed by the straight and then leads to you being comboed in a lot of instances. If Puff is facing you then I think it's amazing just be aware that she moves faster horizontally when she DJs into fair than when she DJs into bair so the amount of space you need to comfortably protect yourself with it from her approaching sex kicks is probably more than you think it is. And then in general remember that Peach's float heights allow you a lot of versatility with how you position your attacks in general. Fair obviously has more priority above and in front of it than anything Puff has coming down so it can be useful to protect from awkward descending attacks that she'll likely aim at your face since Peach's nair and bair don't cover there and uair is out for like 2 frames.

Crouch canceling is really useful against her. You will rarely be able to directly counterattack her spaced bairs, but true-crouching on her falling uairs and such can allow you to make some good damage trades. More importantly, it keeps you from being launched into bair chains.

A note on crouch counterattacks... do not be afraid to do something a bit outside the box. Crouch is effectively a reduction of stun, which means you can move after it. You aren't paralyzed in place and forced to counterattack from that spot. I'm noticing that a chunk of Puffs have gotten accustomed to poking a grounded Peach with a safe kick and then lingering within her territory to maintain pressure. I feel this is because Peach's conventional counterattacks from crouch are grab or a low (d-smash). They'll fish for her to do one inappropriately or see if she'll misbehave in another manner (such as impulsive sidestep and similar herp derp options when you don't know what to do). It's actually really clever by them, but fortunately it's easily dealt with because it is punishable by dash FJ nair and its ilk. Dashing or jumping into actions after crouching an attack creates a lot of interesting opportunities. On a side note, I really dislike how good it is to get hit with this character from a design standpoint. Stupid Peach.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
instant float -> nair -> float cancel

it's pretty common now but back in the day it was xif's thing lol

By that you just mean a ground float nair, amirite? I guess it is common, but man XIF makes that tech run like melted butter...

PandaCobo

Smash Apprentice
When you guys do your float attacks which buttons are you using? Like I usually u z but is that the best or are the other buttons better(faster)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik is an elegant character with no moves that cancel into third-second aerial sequences or the knee. Instead we have f-tilt, grab, and a lot of haters.

Long live Sheik.

Cia

das kwl
Are those league characters in your ava / sig? In any case: Do you perchance know who drew them? I really like the art style and would love to see more of that guys works (:
Those are characters from a smartphone game called 'Puzzle & Dragons'

If you want to see more characters, you can find them at http://puzzledragonx.com/en/monsterbook.asp

@ Aozora - I was just joking. I'm actually really glad KK is posting as much info as he is. I have not been able to post much at all lately :(

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Aozora, I replied to your thread about Sheik. Sorry it took so painfully long for me to get back to you. I just didn't have thoughts about her until recently that I felt like I could write. Let me know what you think.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Saw the Tumblr posts, and speaking of dead controllers......
The Y button on mines is out and it might be a while b4 i find another legit controller. (Curse you non Nintendo logo bearing controllers!!!!!!!!!!!)
Do you guys suggest getting used to using X to jump and changing Y so you won't get tempted to use it? Or should i give my Wii classic pro controller a try?
(Im mainly a PM Peach btw)

Cia

das kwl
Saw the Tumblr posts, and speaking of dead controllers......
The Y button on mines is out and it might be a while b4 i find another legit controller. (Curse you non Nintendo logo bearing controllers!!!!!!!!!!!)
Do you guys suggest getting used to using X to jump and changing Y so you won't get tempted to use it? Or should i give my Wii classic pro controller a try?
(Im mainly a PM Peach btw)
you could just get a new gamecube controller.. lol. They're literally everywhere. Ebay, Amazon, Stores, etc

Composeur

Smash Ace
I'm upset nobody commented on my simultaneous intentional typo and bad Melee joke combination attack.

I am disappoint.
I don't want you be disappoint! Take heart:

So, we're gonna start with rest because it has to be addrest or none of anything above or below matters because you cannot keep pace with repeatedly dying at 9%.
Also, amazing post. <3

These sorts of write-ups are highly relevant and should be copied into the Peach matchup thread. Same goes for the link ShroudedOne posted to the specifics on avoiding Falcon's knee. That was posted 4 years ago and I had no idea it was even avoidable before today. There's nothing about that in any of the stickied guides...

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
you could just get a new gamecube controller.. lol. They're literally everywhere. Ebay, Amazon, Stores, etc
Yeeeah, but like i said, in my current situation it might be a while and i wanna practice still. I feel doing this will help with my adaptivity as a player, or am i just better off getting a new controller like PRONTO?
(Btw, Grounded nairs feel kinda easier with the X button to me :D, You Peaches should try it if you haven't already)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I'd rather get a new controller instead of putting in the work to learn redundant ways to perform techniques.
If you have something you want to pick up and you think the x button might work really well there for some reason, you could try to learn that with x. But I definitely wouldn't want to practice wavedashes or sth with x now for no reason other than that my current controller doesn't have a working y button, instead of just getting a new one. Well, I'm keeping spares anyways, because I tend to work myself through controllers (even original Nintendo ones) rather quickly.

Top Bottom