• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement from the Legacy Team

Should the extra music stay in the build, or become a separate, optional component ("DLC")?

• Yes, I like the songs, but it would free up space for other things.

Votes: 228 60.5%
  • Yes, I don't like the songs / amount of songs you included.

Votes: 22 5.8%
  • No, I like the songs you added the way they are.

Votes: 107 28.4%
  • No, just remove some of them, and don't make it DLC.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
This is a cool build, but it still needs considerable polish.

Like someone else already said, the music volume is way too loud (and adjusting the music/SFX ratio in the options doesn't fix how freaking loud the menu music is).

Some stages experience considerable frame drops when certain skins are played on them (i.e. Light Suit Samus on Sm4sh Donkey Kong stage or the versions of Pyrosphere that have platforms).

Why are so many of the new stages so janky? Walkoffs, crappy edges, etc.

You really need to list which of the expansion stages have which songs on them.

Biker Peach is cute and all but no one would accept any skin like that as tournament-legal since you can't see her dress as a visual queue for her down smash range.

What's the logic in making the secret stages appear randomly? Why not just make them alts for some stage slot?

It's hard to pick alternate stages that are on the R button. You can't press R before picking a stage because it flips the page, and you have to be incredibly fast in pressing R after selecting the stage. I'd recommend either switching it to Y instead or somehow making it so that R doesn't flip the page.

The game freezes randomly mid-match once every ~20 games or so. This is ridiculous compared to how rare mid-match freezes are in vanilla PM. Most freezes in vanilla PM happen upon stage selection, and even those are much rarer. I wasn't able to immediately go and replicate the freezes (picking same characters + costumes + stage), but I can keep you updated on those freezes if you'd like.

PS: Not an objective flaw, but G&W's new SFX are really obnoxious and stupid. I'll probably just change all of the SFX files back to match vanilla PM's anyway.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
This is a cool build, but it still needs considerable polish.

Like someone else already said, the music volume is way too loud (and adjusting the music/SFX ratio in the options doesn't fix how freaking loud the menu music is).

Some stages experience considerable frame drops when certain skins are played on them (i.e. Light Suit Samus on Sm4sh Donkey Kong stage or the versions of Pyrosphere that have platforms).

Why are so many of the new stages so janky? Walkoffs, crappy edges, etc.

You really need to list which of the expansion stages have which songs on them.

Biker Peach is cute and all but no one would accept any skin like that as tournament-legal since you can't see her dress as a visual queue for her down smash range.

What's the logic in making the secret stages appear randomly? Why not just make them alts for some stage slot?

It's hard to pick alternate stages that are on the R button. You can't press R before picking a stage because it flips the page, and you have to be incredibly fast in pressing R after selecting the stage. I'd recommend either switching it to Y instead or somehow making it so that R doesn't flip the page.

The game freezes randomly mid-match once every ~20 games or so. This is ridiculous compared to how rare mid-match freezes are in vanilla PM. Most freezes in vanilla PM happen upon stage selection, and even those are much rarer. I wasn't able to immediately go and replicate the freezes (picking same characters + costumes + stage), but I can keep you updated on those freezes if you'd like.

PS: Not an objective flaw, but G&W's new SFX are really obnoxious and stupid. I'll probably just change all of the SFX files back to match vanilla PM's anyway.
Thanks for your detailed feedback! Certainly more critical than others I've received so far, but this is the kind that helps it get better. :]

The current music level is at 85. 90 was recommended to me, so I actually lowered it. I think I'll shoot for 75 and see how the volume is at that point.

When it comes to frame drops and jankiness with new skins / stages, it can't really be helped. I've only been able to slightly modify stages, characters etc. to optimize them for certain things, and don't have the know-how to fix something like that. You'll notice this is primarily a compilation build - so this is a PM that I would WANT to play, not necessarily the one I create completely by myself. With this in mind, most alt stages and new skins aren't meant to be on the same level as the vanilla PM stages. That being said, the option is there if you want to use it for tourneys (thus "tournament viable" not "tournament legal" terminology).

By the way - you wouldn't believe some of the stages' collision information when I looked at it. Walls were called ceilings, the shape for stages didn't even match the 3D models, etc (most notably on Balloon Fight, Kalos Stadium, and Mushroom Kingdom III). I did a bit of cleanup to even get this far.

I'm working on making a video that showcases the music, and in the description I will create a stage / music list.

Biker Peach is not meant to be used in a tournament setting. New skins should be considered "for fun" and not be used in tournaments. Perhaps I should have made that more clear in my video.

Secret stages should /not/ appear randomly, secret stages are loaded by a button. Secret stages tend to be exclusively for-fun and can also be afterthoughts.

I've gone through every combination of button-presses and I felt R was better than X (strikes stages). Y strikes certain stage selection stages, and the control pad moves the cursor. I'm currently looking into a way to turn off using R to change the page, that would solve the problem.

Please do supply me with as much information on freezes as you can - I ran many, many matches for hours and never got freezes (4 CPUs, random stage, 4 stocks each for 8 minutes).

Yep, I like the new G&W sounds but I get that it's a bit loud and intrusive.

Thanks again for this! It's very helpful.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
How do I get this to work on Dolphin? I tried to take the SD.raw and put it in the wii folder, and then I toggle the insert SD card option for Brawl. When it loaded, it got to the start up screen with the Legacy logo, but passed that, dolphin threw a million errors at me. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is the build not for dolphin?

SogIsGod

Smash Rookie
I am having a bit of trouble, I'm running PM through Neogamma (Pal). When I add custom packs (this is one of the few I've bothered trying since 3.02) it ALWAYS gives me a "too many codes" error and plays the Brawl ISO.
So I have to use the official 3.6 pack. So I can't use any of the stage expansion button combos for extra stages :(. I've tried multiple "gameconfig.txt" files to fix it... but still no luck

ANY reply or info on a potential fix would be greatly appreciated!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
How do I get this to work on Dolphin? I tried to take the SD.raw and put it in the wii folder, and then I toggle the insert SD card option for Brawl. When it loaded, it got to the start up screen with the Legacy logo, but passed that, dolphin threw a million errors at me. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is the build not for dolphin?
No, this build should work for Dolphin just fine. You could always try downloading the Homebrew version and putting the files on a clean sd.raw yourself, but I'm not sure if that would do anything differently. I'm using Dolphin 4.0-7933 just for reference and it works fine.

I am having a bit of trouble, I'm running PM through Neogamma (Pal). When I add custom packs (this is one of the few I've bothered trying since 3.02) it ALWAYS gives me a "too many codes" error and plays the Brawl ISO.
So I have to use the official 3.6 pack. So I can't use any of the stage expansion button combos for extra stages :(. I've tried multiple "gameconfig.txt" files to fix it... but still no luck

ANY reply or info on a potential fix would be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid I don't have a ton of experience with PAL stuff, sorry!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Actually, I think I know what's up. I used a partial cBliss / ASL build, without the extra slots. That may be what's causing it. I will have a fix that I'm going to make soon, this could be a big deterrent and cause many freezes for people. BIG mistake on my part!

LobsterSquad

Smash Rookie
I am having trouble with the game getting to the Project M menu. It just does nothing on the stage builder menu.
Nothing is on the SD card asides from the extracted files. My Wii does have homebrew, and do I need to remove it in order for this to work?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
So about the music being loud, I think 80 is usually the standard for the songs since most of them are at that level by default. Not saying that you can't try 75 but I'll at least vouch to say the BRSTMs themselves should be fine. I took a couple of them and added them to my build with no volume problems.

Are you're using a code to control all songs' volume uniformly? If so, some of the songs from any untouched 64/Melee stage may sound a bit loud since their default volume is much lower (like 30s to 60s). And there's one song on Castle Siege that's at 110 for some reason. Might as well test what a volume change would sound like on stage with no new music, such as Spear Pillar or Frigate Orpheon, both of which have some songs at that 80 level.

MagmaCore

Smash Rookie
Hmm, that's the BeachVille stage. When does that error occur? I've had a few other people that are experiencing issues with Beachville also, I'll look into a fix ASAP...
The error happens when I put the build into the sd card, at the end of the transfer it pops up.

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
In other news, I'm proud to announce my first "exclusive" stage: Saltspray Rig!

It's based upon ledgerewskie's Big Shell import from Brawl Vault.

Really excited about this!!
I like what you did with this, though I should say that I don't think I should get credit for it; it was Eternal Yoshi who imported it. All I did was remove the front railing and port it over Shadow Moses so the codec conversations would work!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I am having trouble with the game getting to the Project M menu. It just does nothing on the stage builder menu.
Nothing is on the SD card asides from the extracted files. My Wii does have homebrew, and do I need to remove it in order for this to work?
After a reformat, I'd try it again. If you're going for hackless method, it should load fine even if you have homebrew. But if you have homebrew, why not just use the homebrew method?

So about the music being loud, I think 80 is usually the standard for the songs since most of them are at that level by default. Not saying that you can't try 75 but I'll at least vouch to say the BRSTMs themselves should be fine. I took a couple of them and added them to my build with no volume problems.
Great, I'll probably shoot for 80, then.

I like what you did with this, though I should say that I don't think I should get credit for it; it was Eternal Yoshi who imported it. All I did was remove the front railing and port it over Shadow Moses so the codec conversations would work!
You're both credited in the credits.txt file. Thanks for clarifying, though! Also, thanks for making it work over Shadow Moses and modifying the stage!

is there a version i can run through the homebrew channel?
Yes, it's in the download.

http://smashbros.co/legacym

SoupMan

Smash Rookie
hey i downloaded this because it seems super cool but when i go to boot it i get as far as the green and purple screen and then it freezes there. i did delete some songs to have it fit on my sd card idk if that had anything to do with it. any help i can get would be great thanks

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
hey i downloaded this because it seems super cool but when i go to boot it i get as far as the green and purple screen and then it freezes there. i did delete some songs to have it fit on my sd card idk if that had anything to do with it. any help i can get would be great thanks
Hackless? Homebrew?

souphard

Smash Rookie
I'd love to combine the stages from SBL and the costumes from NinfanNanz's Smash 3 Cbliss Build but i have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to gct editing :ohwell:

007manyo

Smash Rookie
I'm having a problem with the pack. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'll explain what I think as best I can.
btw, I'm using the HB version.

(1) I downloaded the pack, deleted my old PM 3.6 files, and copy-pasta'd the new files onto my SD card (a Lexar 4GB SDHC card)
(2) Since my disk drive is broken, I USB Loaded Brawl w/ CFG Loader and disabled IOS reloading and enabled Gecko (Ocarina) cheats.
(3) Started the game, which loaded as (vanilla? not not really) SSBB.
-On CSS, hovering over Marth (Wario? Ike? I can't get close enough to tell) w/ puck causes a crash
-On SSS, ~13 stages claim to be Hanenbow. (all are named Hanenbow w/ Hanenbow's Portrait.)
-Extremely long load times, also starting a match causes a crash.

I'm not sure If i'm just being stupid or doing something wrong.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I'd love to combine the stages from SBL and the costumes from NinfanNanz's Smash 3 Cbliss Build but i have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to gct editing :ohwell:
Yes, GCT editing can be a pain sometimes. Well we're expanding our costumes slots for update 1.1, so stay tuned!

Alright, then I would try reformatting to FAT32, deleting even more music (maybe make a backup) until like most of it's gone just to test. Make sure all of your custom stages are deleted on Brawl, make sure your SD card is 2GB and not locked.

I'm having a problem with the pack. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I'll explain what I think as best I can.
btw, I'm using the HB version.

(1) I downloaded the pack, deleted my old PM 3.6 files, and copy-pasta'd the new files onto my SD card (a Lexar 4GB SDHC card)
(2) Since my disk drive is broken, I USB Loaded Brawl w/ CFG Loader and disabled IOS reloading and enabled Gecko (Ocarina) cheats.
(3) Started the game, which loaded as (vanilla? not not really) SSBB.
-On CSS, hovering over Marth (Wario? Ike? I can't get close enough to tell) w/ puck causes a crash
-On SSS, ~13 stages claim to be Hanenbow. (all are named Hanenbow w/ Hanenbow's Portrait.)
-Extremely long load times, also starting a match causes a crash.

I'm not sure If i'm just being stupid or doing something wrong.
Thanks for the detailed report! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it with the ISO / USB method. But sometimes when it loads Brawl it means that there are too many files or the GCT is corrupted. So I'd try removing some songs, but again, I'm not experienced in this area. I'm included a fresh GCT in the next update which should be void of corruptions, so bear with us!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Update: Due to the poll results, it's very clear that you all like the music in this build, but you also want more room for more content.

Guess what? I found a way to satisfy both!

I removed about 3 or 4 songs, and that's it. I ended up shortening some tracks myself and with the help of Choice Scarf. I changed all songs (except for a few) to a SampleRate of 32000 or lower. I checked each track and they all sound great! Most importantly, this freed up a whopping 100MB!!!

(yes, I believe that is worthy of an underline, italics, and bold treatment. Not quite a font size increase, though)

I don't want to give too much away about this update, but it's going to be more good stuff using less memory card storage. Can't wait to share it with you all!

Last edited:

TheAmazingMemer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Faves3000
3DS FC
4940-5681-4585
I've got a few suggestions.

Have you ever considered adding an alternate stage or two on the expansion stages? You can have the ASL available on expansion stages, but it's just that because of how the files are named, you gotta have the same amount of expansion stages across every expansion stage. (Besides, if you want less alternate stages on an expansion stage, you can just duplicate the files.)

Also, what if you included a mark on the stage previews on the SSS that indicates if an alternate stage is legal (Like Yoshi's New Island, Beachville, Marble Zone, etc.) for easier access for people in tourneys and the like.

Paulharper92

Smash Rookie
Hey first of all I wanna say I love this so thank you! Though I'm having a little trouble. I'm running this on dolphin and it works like a treat but the audio is a little crackly and stutters at times ant fixes? Thanks

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I've got a few suggestions.

Have you ever considered adding an alternate stage or two on the expansion stages? You can have the ASL available on expansion stages, but it's just that because of how the files are named, you gotta have the same amount of expansion stages across every expansion stage. (Besides, if you want less alternate stages on an expansion stage, you can just duplicate the files.)

Also, what if you included a mark on the stage previews on the SSS that indicates if an alternate stage is legal (Like Yoshi's New Island, Beachville, Marble Zone, etc.) for easier access for people in tourneys and the like.
I would love to do this. Do I just add "STGCUSTOM" as a stage, and then make sure I add "STGCUSTOM" to have a new .rel for each alt? I wasn't aware this was possible!

No Smash 3C Mewtwo? Awww....
I'm aiming to keep this build coherent, and I don't feel like all of the Smash 3 costumes fit with the standard ones yet. If I change my mind, however, it's definitely a possibility.

Hey first of all I wanna say I love this so thank you! Though I'm having a little trouble. I'm running this on dolphin and it works like a treat but the audio is a little crackly and stutters at times ant fixes? Thanks
Glad it's working! Audio is crackly? Hmm, that could just be a Dolphin thing. Does it do that on Vanilla PM?

no luck :/ is anyone else having this problem?
Someone help this dude out!

Paulharper92

Smash Rookie
thanks for the reply, I managed to fix it! I was using the boot file that comes with the download and I switched that for the gecko boot launcher and now it sounds flawless. love all the new songs :D

SuperShadow132

Smash Rookie
So when I install the homebrew version of this mod it freezes at the Wii Strap screen or if I press A really rapidly I'll pass it but it'll freeze at the loading screen. I don't know what to do now and need some assistance. BTW, I installed it correctly.

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
So when I install the homebrew version of this mod it freezes at the Wii Strap screen or if I press A really rapidly I'll pass it but it'll freeze at the loading screen. I don't know what to do now and need some assistance. BTW, I installed it correctly.
This is a consistent issue I'm seeing. Try removing some of the songs. In my update, I make sure there's less space used on the SD card. That may be it.

SuperShadow132

Smash Rookie
This is a consistent issue I'm seeing. Try removing some of the songs. In my update, I make sure there's less space used on the SD card. That may be it.
Thanks, but never mind i got it to work fully. I just formatted my sd card and it worked. Btw i love this build but could you replace sonic, mario and links voices please. I love hpw Luigi's voice clips changed to more luigi-ish voices and it makes me smile, just wish a lot of other characters got that treatment. Even if it means having Sm4sh voices......sorry for typing all this too. O:-)

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Thanks, but never mind i got it to work fully. I just formatted my sd card and it worked. Btw i love this build but could you replace sonic, mario and links voices please. I love hpw Luigi's voice clips changed to more luigi-ish voices and it makes me smile, just wish a lot of other characters got that treatment. Even if it means having Sm4sh voices......sorry for typing all this too. O:-)
I have changed Sonic's voice, and I have attempted to change Mario and Link's as well. The main problem is in PM 3.6, Link and Mario have additional/different sound effects (for Dr. Mario and Link's secret taunts). So it's more difficult to replace their sounds. If I ever figure out how to import my own sounds directly, I can do that, but that's likely down the road.

Glad you're enjoying my build and it's working for you!

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Can you make the results screen music End Results (for GGXX)?
Its in BrawlCustomMusic Game list>Street fighter III 3rd Strike.

Drackonarius

Smash Rookie
Hi there!
I have a problem with this:
I downloaded the Hackless version of the game, followed all the instructions and everything.
When the loader pops up, it appears to be fine, just like when I play Project M normaly, but the problem is that when I clikc play, then just normal Brawl loads up, not project m o smash legacy M.
If I try to start a battle, then the game crashes after stage selection. I really like how this looks, so what can I do? I use a 2GB micro sd card, I already tried both formating in FAT and FAT 32, but I still have the same problem.

Hope someone can help me with this issue.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Dragon Ball Z music plus a Dragon Ball Z stage. I'd tap that.
I have to say, I don't know the series well enough to add a good stage. Beyond that, I'm not interested in adding stages from that series at the moment. :) Sorry!

Can you make the results screen music End Results (for GGXX)?
Its in BrawlCustomMusic Game list>Street fighter III 3rd Strike.
I'm not going to for this build, but please feel free to add it to your version of Smash Bros. Legacy M.

Hi there!
I have a problem with this:
I downloaded the Hackless version of the game, followed all the instructions and everything.
When the loader pops up, it appears to be fine, just like when I play Project M normaly, but the problem is that when I clikc play, then just normal Brawl loads up, not project m o smash legacy M.
If I try to start a battle, then the game crashes after stage selection. I really like how this looks, so what can I do? I use a 2GB micro sd card, I already tried both formating in FAT and FAT 32, but I still have the same problem.

Hope someone can help me with this issue.
Hmm, I know micro sd cards have introduced some volatility in the past, but rather than blame it on that just yet, you might want to try deleting some songs? Freeing up some space might help.

Drackonarius

Smash Rookie
Sadly, I tried both to delete some songs, and to use the Homebrew version, but the problem is still the same. Also, when te game freezes, it does so with an anoying buzzing sound, so, any ideas?

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Sadly, I tried both to delete some songs, and to use the Homebrew version, but the problem is still the same. Also, when te game freezes, it does so with an anoying buzzing sound, so, any ideas?
Your SD card isn't locked?

Top Bottom