[v2.0] Legacy TE: PM 3.6 Tournament Build

Should the extra music stay in the build, or become a separate, optional component ("DLC")?

• Yes, I like the songs, but it would free up space for other things.

Votes: 212 59.4%
  • Yes, I don't like the songs / amount of songs you included.

Votes: 22 6.2%
  • No, I like the songs you added the way they are.

Votes: 103 28.9%
  • No, just remove some of them, and don't make it DLC.

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

davidvkimball

Legacy TE, CSProject Lead
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110

Legacy TE 2.0 Trailer:

Legacy TE 1.1 Trailer:

Legacy TE 1.0 Trailer:

Video for TOs:

What is Super Smash Bros. Legacy TE?
Legacy TE is a tournament-optimized version of Project M 3.6. Rather than replacing vanilla Project M content, it preserves its tournament-friendly assets and extends the experience just a bit further. This is modpack is based on PM 3.6, and not intended to continue Project M's development.

Is customization possible? Yes it is. We know tourney scenes tend to customize their builds, and they should have no problem doing that with TE.

Is this build tournament-viable? Yes it is. We've worked hard to make sure START alt stages, and all costumes are tourney compliant.

Is this build done? Yes and no. We aim for each release to be a definitive, bug-free, stable version. But as new tourney features come out, we're interested in adapting new content as we are able.

Are you open to suggestions? Most certainly. We're all ears!​

2/27/17 - Launched 1.0
9/10/17 - Released 1.1. Changelog: http://smashbros.co/TEChangelog
9/26/17 - Released 1.11 update, which includes character memory leaks fixes.
5/13/18 - Released 2.0 update, which included a significant amount of new content, features, and improvements.
View our list of known issues and bugs here: http://smashbros.co/TEBugs
"Not enough room on the SD card"
If you're having space issues on the SD card, double check that it's 2GB. TE doesn't work on any SD card that's 1GB or less.
If you do have a 2GB SD card, try deleting the "resources" folder, and then copying over again.
If you still are having trouble, try deleting some songs in the LegacyTE > pf > sound > strm folder.

"Music sounds corrupted"
This is generally a matter of reformatting your SD card to FAT32.

Stage Selection Screen Previews: View the Imgur Gallery

ASL: alt stages via button combination. Every stage has 3 alts per stage slot.

Hold R on Smashville to force a K. K. Slider concert.

Some solo modes select a random stage alt. You can pick which one to use by using DPad. Down = base stage, Up = START alt, Left = L alt, and Right = Z alt.

Some stages have custom sound and graphical effects.

Base stage - Every base stage comes directly from vPM (exception is Bowser's Castle, which has been swapped with the legal variant).
Wildcard - If an L alt existed in vPM, it's that stage. Otherwise, it could be anything!

Balanced stage - Generally neutral, competitive stage, but not always tourney legal.

Tournament legal stage - The start alts for tourney stages are 1-for-1 thematic reskins of the base stage. Non-tourney stages still have these Start alts, but they are 1-for-1 thematic reskins of some other tourney stage.

Cosmetics rendered by the Cosmetic Standardization Project Backroom. Join our Discord server to view all costume renders or make your own.​

Z and R alt costumes: Hold Z or R on the CSS to pick a secret Z or R costume respectively (not recommended for tourney use, characters with more than 10 costumes use an existing costume for the R alt).
Multiple sets of team costumes: you can play as alt costumes in teams!
Team glow: toggle between free for all, team battle, and team glow. Team glow lets you play any costume you'd like in teams.​

Preview coming soon.

10 costumes per character
14 costumes for Sonic and Wario
15 costumes for Ganondorf, Toon Link, ROB, and Sonic
Secret Z and R costumes for every character
3 alts for every stage (totaling to 168)
Triple team costume sets enabled for Ganondorf, Wario, Toon Link, Sonic, and ROB
Team glow
Fracture's Replays
allow for match replays to work, hold A to fast forward, hold B for slow motion, pause and hold Z for slow motion via debug mode
Enable the Legacy TE Code Menu by pressing L+R+Dpad (any direction)
Turn on Draw DI to view possible directional influence trajectories
Endless friendlies starts a new match immediately after one ends. Same Stage starts a new match on the same stage you picked, Random Stage consults your random stage select before selecting where your match begins next. This also works with alts, for example, START alt endless friendlies
Autosave replays places replay saves on your SD card after each match automatically
Auto skip the results screen goes straight from the end of a match to the CSS
Save last replay puts a replay of the last played match onto your SD card
Infinite sheild toggle (per-player)
Press X on a tag at the CSS to toggle rumble
Press Y on a tag at the CSS to customize controls right from the menu
Press Z on a tag at the CSS to delete and replace it with a new tag
Press START on a tag at the CSS to pin the tag to the top of the name list
Hold L when creating a new tag to customize controls
Boot from the strap screen to the CSS
Tag is displayed at results screen
Skip results screen
with L+R+X
Challenger Approaching is disabled
Random Element Mode

Connect with us!

Last edited:

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Thanks so much! I certainly poured my fair share of hours into it....

Last edited:
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
NNID
TheGingerRussian
Can this be installed onto a PAL Wii easily? Or is it like PM where you have to jump through hoops to get it working?

Looks great, keep up the good work. This may be viable in tournaments at some point.

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Can this be installed onto a PAL Wii easily? Or is it like PM where you have to jump through hoops to get it working?

Looks great, keep up the good work. This may be viable in tournaments at some point.
It's like PM, only works on NTSC discs for now.

And thanks! I sure hope so.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
NNID
Pikmin1211
seems pretty cool but kinda lacking imo. just me being nitpicky tho, would probably try it if i had a free sd card

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
seems pretty cool but kinda lacking imo. just me being nitpicky tho, would probably try it if i had a free sd card
Thanks for your feedback. It seems lacking? What would you have it include that it doesn't already?

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
NNID
Pikmin1211
Thanks for your feedback. It seems lacking? What would you have it include that it doesn't already?
Like, overall you're missing out on a ton of skins. I'm glad none of your choices are ridiculous and over the top (like Patt's Edition or whatever) but there are tons of awesome canon skins you're missing out on. Also, I like cBliss personally, but by no means do you have to.
The Music is fine. Stages... I feel the bottom 2 rows of page 1 shouldn't be messed with, but other than that they're great.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
>I Am

>Shadow skin

>Sonic Unleashed Results Screen

Instant 10/10, must buy download.

Seriously, this is some great stuff! I gotta get a new SD Card soon so I can play this right away. :D

failsnail99

Smash Cadet
This is the kind of build I was looking for,but I do agree with pikmin1211.cbliss would make this build more open and there is a whole bunch of skins that are canon with the corresponding characters.I wish you luck with this project.

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Like, overall you're missing out on a ton of skins. I'm glad none of your choices are ridiculous and over the top (like Patt's Edition or whatever) but there are tons of awesome canon skins you're missing out on. Also, I like cBliss personally, but by no means do you have to.
The Music is fine. Stages... I feel the bottom 2 rows of page 1 shouldn't be messed with, but other than that they're great.
Tons of Canon skins that we're missing? Can you name a few?

Bleh no Dark Bowser 0/10.

Anyways, this is looking good, might download this later.
Fantastic. Can you link the Dark Skin Bowser you'd like in the build? It just may end up there in the next release...

>I Am

>Shadow skin

>Sonic Unleashed Results Screen

Instant 10/10, must buy download.

Seriously, this is some great stuff! I gotta get a new SD Card soon so I can play this right away. :D
Glad you're digging it!

You could try and get the Stage expansion template or the Classic expansion pack for even more stages, it might fix the lacking feel that some people are getting.
I actually started to do this until I figured out that using the stage expansion causes freezing on the My Music screen. Music means a lot to me in this build and I really wanted to give people an uncompromising experience as far as stability is concerned.

If people discover a way that allows for more stages without having the game freeze on the My Music screen, you'd better believe I'd be all over that.

This is the kind of build I was looking for,but I do agree with pikmin1211.cbliss would make this build more open and there is a whole bunch of skins that are canon with the corresponding characters.I wish you luck with this project.
Thanks for the support! And I'll look into that.

Last edited:

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
NNID
Pikmin1211
Tons of Canon skins that we're missing? Can you name a few?
Off the top of my head...
Mario: Sunshine Mario, Flying Suit Mario
Luigi: Dealer Luigi, Flying Suit Luigi, Dr. Luigi
Bowser: Dark Bowser
Samus: PED Suit
Meta Knight: Galacta Knight
King Dedede: Dark Dedede
Charizard: Mega Y
Sonic: Excalibur
Jigglypuff: Melee Green
Olimar: President's Suit Black
Diddy: DKC2 Sunglasses
Ness: Poo's Fighter Gi
Toon Link: The something hat (started with a P I think, not overly familiar with Toon Link's games), normal black tunic

Meteo1115

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with this. I believe that there should be a way to get the pack with the two bottom rows unaltered because that is the only thing really holding me back from getting this great pack.

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Off the top of my head...
Mario: Sunshine Mario, Flying Suit Mario
Luigi: Dealer Luigi, Flying Suit Luigi, Dr. Luigi
Bowser: Dark Bowser
Samus: PED Suit
Meta Knight: Galacta Knight
King Dedede: Dark Dedede
Charizard: Mega Y
Sonic: Excalibur
Jigglypuff: Melee Green
Olimar: President's Suit Black
Diddy: DKC2 Sunglasses
Ness: Poo's Fighter Gi
Toon Link: The something hat (started with a P I think, not overly familiar with Toon Link's games), normal black tunic
I tried Dealer Luigi, however it froze many times when I tried to get it work. I'll try it again and see if I can fix it.

As far as new Sonic colors, I'd have to replace one I currently have. For Jiggs, I like the green alternate I already have. I was THIS close to including the Poo costume for Ness in, but decided against it last second. And are you talking about Minish Cap Toon Link? Considered him as well.

As far as your other suggestions, we'll seriously consider them for our next release!

I completely agree with this. I believe that there should be a way to get the pack with the two bottom rows unaltered because that is the only thing really holding me back from getting this great pack.
Thanks for your feedback, we might move some stages around for the purpose of restoring the original two bottom rows. Stay tuned!

Edit: Quick follow up, out of the changes: New Skyworld, Inferno, Melee + SEE Battlefield, Revived Dreamland and Final Destination, could I leave the Revived Dreamland and Final Destination forms? They're purely aesthetic changes and don't adjust any of the collision boxes or blast zones of the stage.

Last edited:

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I was wondering if you could get a Skyward Sword Link skin for the next release? So he could match SS Zelda, I think that'd be cool. :D
Certainly a good idea! We'll keep this in mind for the next update.

I think so. It was a cap with a bird head. Also ah ok.
Yep, that's definitely Minish Cap Link!

If I want to get the 'normal' announcer and character files what files do I have to delete?
Well in order to get the original announcer, you'll have to copy and paste the following files from Vanilla Project M 3.02 in the sfx folder:

220.sawnd
221.sawnd
222.sawnd
223.sawnd

Just deleting those files from my build won't work, because there will be no character call for Mewtwo or Roy.

And if you are interested in restoring the original character's voices and menu sounds, delete sawnd files 7.sawnd (Menu sounds), 10.sawnd (Pit), 13.sawnd (DK), 27.sawnd (G&W), and 45.sawnd (Sonic).

Let me know if you have any other issues!

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Certainly a good idea! We'll keep this in mind for the next update.

Yep, that's definitely Minish Cap Link!

Well in order to get the original announcer, you'll have to copy and paste the following files from Vanilla Project M 3.02 in the sfx folder:

220.sawnd
221.sawnd
222.sawnd
223.sawnd

Just deleting those files from my build won't work, because there will be no character call for Mewtwo or Roy.

And if you are interested in restoring the original character's voices and menu sounds, delete sawnd files 7.sawnd (Menu sounds), 10.sawnd (Pit), 13.sawnd (DK), 27.sawnd (G&W), and 45.sawnd (Sonic).

Let me know if you have any other issues!
Thank you forthe quick response!

NNID
jesucristocr0w
I loved it! it has competitive stages and GREAT music :D just a petition, why don't you replace Smashville with SakuraVille(Winter version) with the "Another Winter" song from Scott Pilgrim, that would be awesome! Good Luck with the Project :D

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I loved it! it has competitive stages and GREAT music :D just a petition, why don't you replace Smashville with SakuraVille(Winter version) with the "Another Winter" song from Scott Pilgrim, that would be awesome! Good Luck with the Project :D
Thanks for the support and the suggestions! We are considering an alternate version of Smashville, but we don't want to change the stage's collision boxes so it can remain tournament-viable.

Patt Anderson

PMPE Architect
Over the top and ridiculous? Seems I have accomplished my goal ;)

Thanks for the support and the suggestions! We are considering an alternate version of Smashville, but we don't want to change the stage's collision boxes so it can remain tournament-viable.
Goodluck on your pack friend! I'm excited to see the finished product.

Last edited:
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
It Looks pretty Good. i Want to Try it Out, Saddly i Have a PAL Version of the Wii & Brawl so it Won't Work. Hope that version is Coming Soon.

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
When will you update this for 3.5?
As much as I hate to say it, it doesn't look like this will be getting a 3.5 version. I had plans for custom character selection portrait poses and everything, but I can't justify spending the time on it anymore. :(

3DS FC
3153-4441-3574
NNID
Projectbrawl7
As much as I hate to say it, it doesn't look like this will be getting a 3.5 version. I had plans for custom character selection portrait poses and everything, but I can't justify spending the time on it anymore. :(
Aww that sucks... I wish i can help, even though i can, but i will say your pack is awesome!

davidvkimball

3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
NNID
davidvkimball
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Please do! I miss this build, you should bring it back when you can. :p
Well it's officially almost completed.

Question for anyone watching this thread. Should I release it now or try and fix ALL the issues? I'll work on it regardless, it's just a matter of it having a weird freeze after LONG matches (17+ minutes, documented here).

Best case scenario is that I squash the bug, but who knows how long that will take because I'm finding it difficult isolating the issue. Second best case scenario is folks submit bug reports and I find the issue more quickly, but downside is that it might be a bit unstable.

I've only gotten the freezing to occur when I've left 4 CPUs on Halberd for over 15 minutes. Again, if you're curious about the bug view this thread.

TL;DR: I can release it now, but it might be slightly unstable. Thoughts?

Crystalruby

Smash Apprentice
Smashing Some Nubs (With a Pinch of Salt)
NNID
Crystalruby8

Question for anyone watching this thread. Should I release it now or try and fix ALL the issues? I'll work on it regardless, it's just a matter of it having a weird freeze after LONG matches (17+ minutes, documented here).

Best case scenario is that I squash the bug, but who knows how long that will take because I'm finding it difficult isolating the issue. Second best case scenario is folks submit bug reports and I find the issue more quickly, but downside is that it might be a bit unstable.

I've only gotten the freezing to occur when I've left 4 CPUs on Halberd for over 15 minutes. Again, if you're curious about the bug view this thread.

Freezes on Halberd? That's odd. I'd just wait until the issue is fixed before releasing it. And is it going to get a hackless ver. too?

Last edited:

Crystalruby

Smash Apprentice
Smashing Some Nubs (With a Pinch of Salt)
NNID
Crystalruby8
BTW are you copying all of the fighter's files? [FighterFit + FighterMotion] You don't need these files, only copy over .pac+.pcs files over the vanilla PM 3.6 Fighter's folders.

Last edited: