• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[v1.1.1] Stage Select: A Diddy Kong Stage Discussion/Guide!! Week #2 Final Destination/Omega Stages!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
This was more towards 1.0.4 back then now that Diddy has been nerfed...twice I am going to do a do over on the stages.

If you remember the system as how I ran the thread its basically each week we will discuss a tournament stage finding out why Diddy excels there...and why he may not.

When rating a stage the number one is considered one of the worst stages for Diddy to excel at while a five is considered his best.

So lets get back in the lab ya monkeys!!!

This weeks discussion is Final Destination/Omega Stages!

Week #1: Battlefield/Miiverse

General Information on these stages:
@ParanoidDrone's Battlefield: Stage Research Thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/battlefield-stage-research.385975/

@ParanoidDrone's Miiverse: Stage Research Thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/miiverse-stage-research.406254/

Battlefield vs Mii Verse - does anyone think that the slightly different platforms (less of a gap between the two outer and the one upper on Mii Verse) is a hindrance or benefit or negligible?

Off the top of my head I am thinking Mii Verse can get in the way of dropping nana's directly down or get them stuck on the 2nd platform where they would previously drop through on plucking (but is that an issue?)

On the flip side, Mii verse could help protect against the likes of moves dropping through (e.g villager bowling ball from top platform) and more platform area to work under - where one stops, the top takes over).
I don't play on Miiverse alot so I wont give my two cents on that.

Battlefield however is a stage I only go to on a few matchups like Lucario honestly since Dream Land 64 has been released as a DLC Battlefield has kind of lost its merit for being a useful CP as Dream Land 64 is basically the same layout with a lower ceiling while also making it easier to edgeguard certain characters that would feel tougher to gimp on Battlefield. I would actually give Battlefield a 2.5 as Dream Land really just blows it out of the water for making it a choice as luckily Diddy actually has a nice amount of useful counter-pick stages I feel Battlefield is only chosen just because you like the stage.
Diddys UTilt, a decent kill-move at 140%+ w/o rage hits through the platform.

Diddys UpB also will explode on the platform every time if used under, I've not tested kill percents fot this though.

You can also shark with Short Hop into Uair or Bair, but not Fair as you'll usually land on the platform.

Rating: 3/5

In the middle ground, depends almost solely on the MU if they can abuse the platforms harder than you can. If all else goes wrong you can still get a good Upthrow Uair string on the top platform for Evo

Discuss!! :4diddy:

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Probably a 1 or 2. A lot of characters get very significant advantages from platforms. Diddy...is not one of those characters. Compared to characters like Bowser and Robin who have options that cover entire platforms, Diddy's abilities can't compare. That's not to say he's bad here, Diddy is fine on every stage, but this is one of his worst starters since Diddy likes stages like FD which have a greater focus on ground combat where Diddy always can pressure with his grab and bananas along with peanut camping.
Diddy gets perks from Battlefield (like being able to kill with DThrow UAir at very low %s, and his fast pressurehe can apply to PART of a platform), but most characters get far more options from Battlefield than Diddy.
That's why I give it a 2.

Hunterowner

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hunterowner
Battlefield is only beneficial to Diddy against certain characters. Against a Mac, I'll take them to BF as often as I can over FD and SV, whereas against other characters, who are more suited to BF and would have a greater benefit to the stage, I would much rather strike this stage and go to FD or SV.

I'd give it a 3, because I don't think the stage hurts us, but it definitely doesn't benefit us as much as it can benefit other characters.

Luisfer

Smash Rookie
I would give it a 2 or 3.

Pros:
  • It gives a lot of side-b cancel options (with the platforms) that can be used for really good mixups, like falling aerial attacks or just doing another side-b.
  • All of diddy's aerials are extremely good so you can pressure really well if they get on any platform
  • Up-throw to up-air and down-throw to up air on the top platform can kill at low %

Cons:

• The platforms for Diddy don't add anything game-changing to his gameplay, some other characters benefit a lot more from them (like ZSS for example).
  • It has a higher ceiling than most starters stages by a little margin (Not 100% sure on this one though, it's just how I feel when I play in it).
  • The stage relieves some pressure of Diddy's bananas and grab game because of the platforms.

Last edited:

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Story time.

At tourney, winners finals. Best of 3, 2 stock. Diddy vs Falcon ( Me ) Take Diddy Kong to Delfino, 35 seconds I lose. Because the Diddy did the Hoo Hah to kill me at like 50%, how? Simple! At certain stage transitions (I'm fairly certain its the Island on the right of the area) The ceiling is REALLY low during like a 5 second window. And I got BODIED by it. Needless to say I'm hella salty over it, but now I know never to take Diddy to Delfino.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hey guys thanks for taking the time to post up your knowledge on how you feel Diddy performs on Battlefield!

This week will be Final Destination once i get home i'll have the pics and quotes on the OP

@ DeLux DeLux
Is it possible for me to edit the thread title?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I think you're able to do that without mod help.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Alright thanks as usual til the week is up we will keep FD up for discussion! Can't wait to hear everyones insight on this stage haha.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Strike it against Sonic and Mac, otherwise this is a pretty good stage for us. Extra good against characters who struggle landing as it's easier to trap them. Probably a 3, having a normal sized ceiling makes this better than BF.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm amazed people aren't rating Battlefield at least a 4 or a 5. It's easily our best neutral. The fact it's small gives people less space from Diddy's aggression and the platforms are great for uair frame traps and JC uptossing nanas.

This isn't Brawl, FD isn't that great for us anymore because we're no longer about setting up a wall with a nana on the ground. Diddy is an aggressive character this game and aggressive characters with great utilts and uairs love small stages with platforms to improve their pressure from underneath someone.

The only stages that might be better for Diddy are gimmicky things like Halberd for the low ceiling in certain phases.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hmmm not much discussion on FD im going to post my thoughts on the stage and then decide if I want the stage to be discussed or not.

BaeBraham

Coffee and Smash enthusiast
NNID
BaeBraham
3DS FC
4184-3853-8896
Does FD include discussion about Omega variants for different stages? Or will Omega stages have it's own discussion? Due to some stages having a solid wall to jump off of, while others are more like the original FD, it may warrant separate ratings/discussion.
I'm just wondering if those thoughts should be included in an overall rating of FD or not!
Thanks Homies!

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Does FD include discussion about Omega variants for different stages? Or will Omega stages have it's own discussion? Due to some stages having a solid wall to jump off of, while others are more like the original FD, it may warrant separate ratings/discussion.
I'm just wondering if those thoughts should be included in an overall rating of FD or not!
Thanks Homies!
Thats actually a great question to ask! Actually i'll be keep Omega Stages seperate in their own category due to them being so many so when we get around to that.

Updated OP now moving discussion to week 3!

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Town and City is our best of the typical starter stages, period. The only things we like more are Delfino and Halberd and I think Diddy benefits from the platform arrangement on this stage more than most. I give it 4 HOO HAHs out of 5.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Town and City is our best of the typical starter stages, period. The only things we like more are Delfino and Halberd and I think Diddy benefits from the platform arrangement on this stage more than most. I give it 4 HOO HAHs out of 5.
Why is TaC better than BF? BF is amazing for Diddy.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Lower ceiling, mixture of low and high platforms.
Firstly, BF has a mix of higher and lower platforms. Secondly, I don't see how higher platforms help Diddy. They just make it easier to avoid his nanas. You can't get guaranteed follows ups from JCuptosses if they're on higher platforms.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Dre89 Dre89 Both stages have high and low platforms, T&C has a lower ceiling. The reasons T&C outclasses BF in my opinion is because being a somewhat dynamic stage benefits mobile characters (eg Diddy), people are less familiar than it than having played years of BF and because the difference in ceiling heights is VERY significant. The absolute lowest platform on T&C is the same distance to the upper blast zone as the top platform of Battlefield, so every single platform on T&C can lead to uthrow uair kills at silly percentages. I think BF with the ceiling of T&C or Halberd would be our best stage but between the two stages the way they are I'd rather have significantly easier vertical kills than arguably slightly better platform arrangement.

Also: what state are you in?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
@ Dre89 Dre89 Both stages have high and low platforms, T&C has a lower ceiling. The reasons T&C outclasses BF in my opinion is because being a somewhat dynamic stage benefits mobile characters (eg Diddy), people are less familiar than it than having played years of BF and because the difference in ceiling heights is VERY significant. The absolute lowest platform on T&C is the same distance to the upper blast zone as the top platform of Battlefield, so every single platform on T&C can lead to uthrow uair kills at silly percentages. I think BF with the ceiling of T&C or Halberd would be our best stage but between the two stages the way they are I'd rather have significantly easier vertical kills than arguably slightly better platform arrangement.

Also: what state are you in?
I'm from Sydney

I don't think lack of familiarity with the stage is something that benefits Diddy specifically, it just benefits people more familiar with the stage. The lower ceiling is a big deal though. I'm gonna play on TaC a bit and try it out.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Don't forget the moving platforms can be a potential lifesaver when it comes to recovery, the extra option is really a boost to Diddy whose only real weakness is his crappy recovery.

I actually prefer it to Halberd because it doesn't have the sloped floor meaning my rising aerial hitboxes are much more reliable. but yeah T&C is a stage that affords Diddy a plethora of options.

Last edited:

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
I like this map because the platforms can help with recovering high, especially when low recovery options are being covered by the opponent, like sonic`s annoying up b. Plus idk if this is true but the left and right blastzoned seem kind of closer to the stage, but I'm not sure. The low ceiling definitely helps though. I give this map a 4 out of 5

edit* added rating

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I'd like to comment on this more, however I've not been able to find any definitive information on stages. If anyone knows were to find more detailed stage information please send it this way.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I take Town if they ban FD and Smashville cause those are my go to stages cause of the flat stage. The platforms are good cause sometimes they can keep u airs going such as refreashing your jump and I pref them over BF and Smashvilles cause there is more of them so you can flow more but that's just me.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I take Town if they ban FD and Smashville cause those are my go to stages cause of the flat stage. The platforms are good cause sometimes they can keep u airs going such as refreashing your jump and I pref them over BF and Smashvilles cause there is more of them so you can flow more but that's just me.
Do people ban FD against Diddy? I figured most people would want to take him there.

Mx|Edd

Smash Rookie
NNID
edderramirez
Town & City is probably our best stage after Halberd, is a mixture of FD and BF but with the low celling that help us in getting early kills with an Uair. Definitely I'll bring any opponent that doesn't ban it here with the exception of Sonic, Rosalina and Luigi, for them I think Lylat is a better option.

I'm going to give T&C 4 of 5 because of some characters that take more advantage here than us.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Sorry for the inactivity I was attending tournies all march on a weekly basis now that I have some R&R time I got the chance to update the thread! Don't worry my main goal is to still bring productivity to these fourms and I appreciate you all being paitent and supportive!!!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I'd like to comment on this more, however I've not been able to find any definitive information on stages. If anyone knows were to find more detailed stage information please send it this way.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-big-map-the-stage-directory.389466/

Town & City is probably our best stage after Halberd, is a mixture of FD and BF but with the low celling that help us in getting early kills with an Uair. Definitely I'll bring any opponent that doesn't ban it here with the exception of Sonic, Rosalina and Luigi, for them I think Lylat is a better option.

I'm going to give T&C 4 of 5 because of some characters that take more advantage here than us.
I've heard directly from a Sonic main that their preferred stages are (in order) FD>SV>Lylat>The Rest

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
Smashville is our best neutral in my opinion. With less platforms Diddy is able to control more ground, but still has a platform as another option to recover, as well as pressure from underneath with diddy's upairs and utilts with only one platform available. I would give this map a 4 out of 5*

Edit added ranking*
Edit 2 Upair has been nerfed, so I do not know how that will affect the rating of this map+spelling.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Smashville is pretty good for Diddy IMO, the platform can help with recovery and ledge-guarding, while it is high enough that it only helps, not impedes, his combo game. the stage is also small enough that it makes Rocketing to the other side very easy. 4/5

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Battlefield vs Mii Verse - does anyone think that the slightly different platforms (less of a gap between the two outer and the one upper on Mii Verse) is a hindrance or benefit or negligible?

Off the top of my head I am thinking Mii Verse can get in the way of dropping nana's directly down or get them stuck on the 2nd platform where they would previously drop through on plucking (but is that an issue?)

On the flip side, Mii verse could help protect against the likes of moves dropping through (e.g villager bowling ball from top platform) and more platform area to work under - where one stops, the top takes over).

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I didn't know there was any difference between them, interesting. I don't think it changes much though.

I think BF/Mii is a ggod choice for Diddy, probably a 4.

The platforms help his combos and allow him to pressure easier and the blastzones are pretty sizable allowing him to live longer. I don't think there is anything about this stage that really hurts Diddy. Maybe the platforms being a bit too close to the ground?

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I didn't know there was any difference between them, interesting. I don't think it changes much though.

I think BF/Mii is a ggod choice for Diddy, probably a 4.

The platforms help his combos and allow him to pressure easier and the blastzones are pretty sizable allowing him to live longer. I don't think there is anything about this stage that really hurts Diddy. Maybe the platforms being a bit too close to the ground?
I personally like both stages - much for the same reason you've stated. I'd imagine when one is good the other is good, but just on that micro level - could we have a preference because of that little difference (every small thing adds up!).

I personally wasn't aware until a stream in the past couple of weeks - it was a "once its pointed out it became noticeable" kind of thing!

Sonicninja115

I personally like both stages - much for the same reason you've stated. I'd imagine when one is good the other is good, but just on that micro level - could we have a preference because of that little difference (every small thing adds up!).

I personally wasn't aware until a stream in the past couple of weeks - it was a "once its pointed out it became noticeable" kind of thing!
I think it might be MU dependent, It seems that it would be good for Banana and for easily getting down from the top platform but other then that I don't think it does much.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
I don't play on Miiverse alot so I wont give my two cents on that.

Battlefield however is a stage I only go to on a few matchups like Lucario honestly since Dream Land 64 has been released as a DLC Battlefield has kind of lost its merit for being a useful CP as Dream Land 64 is basically the same layout with a lower ceiling while also making it easier to edgeguard certain characters that would feel tougher to gimp on Battlefield. I would actually give Battlefield a 2.5 as Dream Land really just blows it out of the water for making it a choice as luckily Diddy actually has a nice amount of useful counter-pick stages I feel Battlefield is only chosen just because you like the stage.

sammy_flowrez

Smash Rookie
NNID
TreebornAF
Is this thread still active? I recently picked up Smash Boards again and skimmed through this thread and wanted to note somethings I didn't see.

Diddys UTilt, a decent kill-move at 140%+ w/o rage hits through the platform.

Diddys UpB also will explode on the platform every time if used under, I've not tested kill percents fot this though.

You can also shark with Short Hop into Uair or Bair, but not Fair as you'll usually land on the platform.

Rating: 3/5

In the middle ground, depends almost solely on the MU if they can abuse the platforms harder than you can. If all else goes wrong you can still get a good Upthrow Uair string on the top platform for Evo

Last edited:
Top Bottom