• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing Fire Breath in competitive play

Brunelleski

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brunelleski
3DS FC
5129-0622-1976
As of late I've been watching a lot of Bowser tournament videos online (the few that I can find at least) and I've noticed that only a select few players will actually use Bowser's fire breath during the match. I know the move has some practical spacing applications and can also be used as an edgeguard technique, but does anyone have any recommendations on when I should or shouldn't use it? And if you guys utilize it, how are you using it? I'd like to incorporate it more into my playstyle.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Let me preface my advice by saying that I'm NOT a high level player, but I do very well against most people I play, whether online or in person:

But the biggest thing I use fire for is not only spacing, but for interrupting. Once you're in the air with Bowser, it's very easy for a fast character to wait for you to fall and land. If you try your Dair or down special while in the air, it will be easy for the opponent to avoid and punish.

I've found a decent air approach method, which is using my fire breath to make sure the opponent can't rush up and grab me. It also stops a lot of dash attacks. If you do it right, you can condition the opponent into shielding until you land. If they shield and you have fast enough reflexes, you then have the chance to use your side b or try to get in a quick grab.

I've had many friends get frustrated at me for interrupting their moves, which throws them off, and puts them on the defensive. I don't know if Pro players will agree with my idea, but it works well for me.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
It's the longest reaching hitbox bowser can throw out, and it lingers. I'm surprised it's not seen more often. I love it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's common to cover landings with Fire Breath. Just do it at ranges where your landings would normally be threatened by run-up shields or grabs. If your opponent is too close to you, then you'll be punished. If your opponent is too far away from you, then you'll just be wasting time shooting fire at nothing. There are specific ranges where this covers your landing very well.

It's also a good habit to tap the B button once to start Firebreath. NEVER hold down your Firebreath unless you can confirm that the first burst of fire hit your opponent. Otherwise you're just lagging for nothing.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Except for the specific case mr. eh mentioned, and sometimes gimping characaters like captain falcon, I am guilty of not using fire breath in competitive play. I might be wrong but here's the way I see it. First, most of the time the move usually does very little damage if you are doing it at safe ranges. If you whiff though you are in for a world of hurt, it's incredibly laggy (not to mention the laggy startup frames.) So the move even on paper is high risk low reward.

I've heard other people tell me that it's a good spacing move, which it is. But which spacing exactly? Outside of firebreath range, I think, is one of Bowser's worse spacings. As a bowser player I want them to be in jab distance, klaw distance, pivot grab distance, bowser bomb distance. By doing firebreath I feel like i'm encouraging my opponent to be exactly where I don't want them to be.

Just my 2 cents. I've seen other Bowser players use it quite effectively.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Just like Big Sean said, Fire breath is just a short term answer (read: ANSWER, not SOLUTION) to the long term problem of getting your opponent in the range that you want them to be in, and placing yourself at the distance that you want to be in (close quarters so you can give no quarter).

It has very specific uses. What MrEh listed are the main ones I can think of, but aside from that, there's no point. It does no damage at the very tip of it (if they're that far out, you might as well just advance on your own). If they're attempting to start an approach on you, there are more damaging and more useful options to fight back with.

Use it to cover ground or harass characters offstage. If it's not for those situations, consider something else.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Starting a match with a jumping Fire Breath is always my thing I like doing.

I just wish Fire Roar wasn't so abrupt and Fire Shot was actually decent.

I love the concept of Fire Shot but it isn't fast enough and I believe it does jack squat to projectiles.

Fire Roar looks nasty but the recharge time is too much and you can do 4x the damage with Fire Breath in the time it takes for Fire Roar to recharge.

Roar and Shot also can't be angled like Breath can.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've only found a practical use for Fire Roar in two matchups: Duck Hunt and Villager

-The roar can blow away the can, the gunmen, and possibly damage Duck Hunt at the same time.

-The roar can harass Villager from a fairly safe distance when he stands behind his trip root, and it destroys Lloid Rockets with ease.

Basically, I'm using Roar for the sheer range and coverage of the flame in those scenarios. It consumes just about everything, and it's Bowser's longest ranged move, except for Fire Shot.

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed a lot of players online will foolishly try to run in to dash attack or grab right at the start of the match. I've gotten into the habit of tossing a fire breath out right away to discourage or punish this behavior.

Other than that, it's pretty much like others have said. It's good for spacing, covering your landings, and edge guarding. It also can cancel a lot of enemy dash attacks and projectiles. I also like to use it to put on a little extra damage on someone I've backed against the edge of the stage and who is trying to stay just out of dropkick and punch range.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Not a Bowser main, so take everything I say with a teaspoon of "he means well, but likely doesn't know any better".

I play Bowser every now and then and tend to use Fire Breathe to interrupt ZSS' Paralyzer shots. Just a quick tap and I have nothing to worry about.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bowser Breath destroys small projectiles so yeah.

You can also just punch Samus's Stun shots.

Top Bottom