• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
The bayonetta drama is hilarious.

1) Nintendo tried to make a combo character. The problem is they haven't made a decent combo character since melee.

2) their plan for making a combo character was to make a character who didn't follow the physics of the game. Almost like the game itself is what isn't allowing combos

3) to "fix" her combos, they made her moves DI'able and SDI'able. They've removed so much stuff that could dealt with by just adding DI/SDI into the game, instead of individually removing thing like fox jab infinite, bayo's crap, sheik, luigi auto combos etc

4) smash4 players will just never understand the importance of smash DI. I've tried to explain it to them, and the concept is honestly just beyond them. Not saying they're dumb, I guess it's just hard to grasp and you kind of just need to experience it.
So ****ing true on 4
The ones that try to play melee just don't understand it. I give them tips on how to survive and they still don't understand.
I've always said smash 4 needed some di/SDI at least enough to get out of some easy things. I don't know man it's been frustrating me trying to talk to them about it but they don't listen and don't give a ****.

Smash Journeyman
I think it stems from Smash 4 combos being either guaranteed or very unreliable without much middle ground. I've asked some Smash 4 players how to DI out of specific combos and the advice is always something like "airdodge once You are at a high enough percent" or "play a character that can get out easier". These same players then complain that Melee is too difficult because apparently being able to get out of combos doesn't make up for the lack of a 10 frame input buffer.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Is that mentality a "Smash 4 is my first smash game!" mentality, or is it something else? I don't interact with the community much at all, but I haven't see that level of scrubbyness out in the open much.

Out in the open = at events, to clarify.

Last edited:

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
Sm4sh players are cool and I'm one myself but for whatever odd reason they just don't understand things

Don't like a character? Nerf the **** out of them

Lost a match? Character is unviable (lol Shamsy)

Can't escape something? Character is busted and I probably should look into it, but no thanks i'll just complain.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Are you still going to SNOSA? Or is money 2tight with Evo around the corner
I want to but, it's looking unlikely I'll be able to go. I might be able to if donate all of next month. Are you guys driving there? How much would you think the trip would cost for SNOSA?

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
I want to but, it's looking unlikely I'll be able to go. I might be able to if donate all of next month. Are you guys driving there? How much would you think the trip would cost for SNOSA?
I'm flying out, but there's a car going up with a few Utah doods, not sure how much space they have in it though

Overall it should be pretty inexpensive, given everyone is splitting cost and I have a hotel room if I need to house peeps

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
"Starting next Monday every Monday I will be hosting brawl tournaments at the OG Thunder dome. Entry is free until we consistently see 25+ entrants pay out goes to top 3. The pot will be 100$ until then. Someone please share this with all the Utah smash stuff since I'm blocked from all of them" GangstaKirbz

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
"Starting next Monday every Monday I will be hosting brawl tournaments at the OG Thunder dome. Entry is free until we consistently see 25+ entrants pay out goes to top 3. The pot will be 100$ until then. Someone please share this with all the Utah smash stuff since I'm blocked from all of them" GangstaKirbz
BillNye #1 for posting RJ's stuff everywhere

wangston

Smash Lord
Why it it so hard to find people that can smash in utah county? Is it because smash 4 has 4glory and no one has fest anymore?

What happened to the good old days were I could just text, post, see some random mother ****ers on campus playing and play with them. My favorite though, one time I saw in peoples window, they were play smash so I knocked and they invited me in to play smash.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
well there are definitely players there, like my buddy at BYU who's fairly decent at smash 4, but he doesnt go to events without me, and i rarely get to come up north to play as is

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Why it it so hard to find people that can smash in utah county? Is it because smash 4 has 4glory and no one has fest anymore?

What happened to the good old days were I could just text, post, see some random mother ****ers on campus playing and play with them. My favorite though, one time I saw in peoples window, they were play smash so I knocked and they invited me in to play smash.
It's that. Every single smash 4 player rather stay home and play online. They don't have to leave and spend money on gas to play someone. Everyone is a baby when it comes to driving. That's why the Provo weeklies aren't getting as much attendance. And some other reasons.
Smash 4 players are REALLY ****ING LAZY. It was annoying to find people to play with. I prefer playing with them in the room. No lag and I can talk about how much they suck to their face.

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
Online is so lame sometimes, I don't get how people would prefer it

Like driving 2 minutes gives you the following:
-No input lag from wifi
-HUMAN INTERACTIONS
-No ****ty online modes
-THERE'S PEOPLE RIGHT THERE JUST HAVE FUN WITH THEM FOR ONCE

I dunno. Offline is just soooo much better, but with all the kiddos out of school it'll increase the amount we see around here which is nice.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
It's that. Every single smash 4 player rather stay home and play online. They don't have to leave and spend money on gas to play someone. Everyone is a baby when it comes to driving. That's why the Provo weeklies aren't getting as much attendance. And some other reasons.
Smash 4 players are REALLY ****ING LAZY. It was annoying to find people to play with. I prefer playing with them in the room. No lag and I can talk about how much they suck to their face.
I've noticed this as well. That is part of the reason I started a weekly fest (even if I don't play much at them anymore). Guess who usually shows? Only the people who either live close or actually want to improve or help others improve

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
I've noticed this as well. That is part of the reason I started a weekly fest (even if I don't play much at them anymore). Guess who usually shows? Only the people who either live close or actually want to improve or help others improve
Petition to remove online mode? /s

Seriously though, I feel like sm4sh players don't really see how much better offline play is since they were basically raised on it (if it was their first serious smash game)

Smash Journeyman
There are some advantages to online play. I wouldn't suggest doing it over playing with good opponents in an offline setting though, just do it when You can't get anyone else to play.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I'd show up for more if I didn't work such ****ty hours. 5:30 PM-4 AM op. At least my days off are good for the monthly. I'm basically dying for some good local play.

/johns

Speaking of, is the kafeneio monthly happening this month? Can't find info on it and the event document on page 1 is hilariously outdated.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
Who here is confirmed for attending evo? I have a room reserved and everything. Need people
I'm confirmed and I'll take you up on that room if you still have space left in it since I know nobody from Soutah's gonna get their **** together and order a room, which I can't do as it requires a credit card.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
I'd show up for more if I didn't work such ****ty hours. 5:30 PM-4 AM op. At least my days off are good for the monthly. I'm basically dying for some good local play.

/johns

Speaking of, is the kafeneio monthly happening this month? Can't find info on it and the event document on page 1 is hilariously outdated.
Yeah it is. Tim has been really busy with Gaming Con this week and planning that. It will be on the 11th. Otherwise everything will be the same as last month's information

Last edited:

Taiko~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shamsy_99
I've already checked the Facebook group like 500 times so I figured I might as well check around here too..

Any 64 players around? Or at least anyone interested in it? I've found a decent amount on Facebook alone but it seems like a decent amount of people avoid Facebook in general so I figured it might be a good idea to check here.

Smash Journeyman
A few people play on occasion and We usually have it at our bigger tournaments. It isn't exactly huge though.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
I've already checked the Facebook group like 500 times so I figured I might as well check around here too..

Any 64 players around? Or at least anyone interested in it? I've found a decent amount on Facebook alone but it seems like a decent amount of people avoid Facebook in general so I figured it might be a good idea to check here.
Yessir Soutah has 64 players I know Ryan was definitely looking to go to Nortah for 64 tournaments.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
so smash 4 is only online? And I was hoping to actually get to meet people instead of, well, not that.
Your best bet to play offline anymore is to either go to tournaments or my fests on Friday nights, tbh (I'm in cottonwood heights, so it isn't too far of a trip from park city)

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I'm confirmed and I'll take you up on that room if you still have space left in it since I know nobody from Soutah's gonna get their **** together and order a room, which I can't do as it requires a credit card.
Message me on Facebook dawg. Remi Barron, I should be in whatever smash group is around now.

Top Bottom