• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

BernShesh

Smash Rookie
Personally, I love both games. I love to watch both, melee more though, but I just can't play it. I feel like it's much too steep of a hill to climb, and people have been playing it for ages, but sm4sh is new, and there is still room to grow. Rather than try to catch up to an incredibly technical game, I'd rather do my best to keep up with a newer one. I'd still watch melee over sm4sh any day though. n0ne is my favorite to watch.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
View attachment 95130
NO NOT SMASHBOARDS

GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF
And yet you replied with a danker meme.

Anyway, when's the next SLC event? I could check the Facebook page but too much garbage to sort through. I'm assuming next month but if so I can hopefully plan ahead and get the time off work to go.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
It's all over folks Sm4sh players are like Beetlejuice and we said "dank meme" too many times.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
And yet you replied with a danker meme.

Anyway, when's the next SLC event? I could check the Facebook page but too much garbage to sort through. I'm assuming next month but if so I can hopefully plan ahead and get the time off work to go.
Fight memes with danker memes. It's the only way to combat cancerous memes.

There's a monthly on Saturday February 13th. It's located at Kafeneio's Coffeehouse. If you want more detailed information, it's the pinned post on the Facebook group. No shifting through garbage necessary.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Two things:

1. I support what Stitch said in regards to BYU being "clique-ish". We play others when we come to the Game Den, but it is more convenient for us to have a group for BYU players. I don't care if we come off as clique-ish because others in the community come off as clique-ish as well.

We made the group just for more organization for us, but it turned into a way to attract new players. I don't feel like the Game Den is the best way to attract new players ($10 to enter every week, a lot of players for not many setups). We try hard to personally invite people to come, make sure we know the people who come to the fests so they feel welcomed, etc.

I feel that one of the best ways to get Utah to improve is to enlargen the community as a whole. And that's what we're doing. I'm not making this up. We had this discussion, that Utah needs more players if we are going to become a notable smash/Melee community. We aren't doing this just for BYU students; we are doing it for Utah as well.

2. Brawl>all other smash

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
when the BYU boys came to the crew battle fest they didnt really seem clique-y to me at all i thought they were homies

PK Freeze α

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItHurtsToLive
3DS FC
4699-9481-8084
I'm pretty freakin' nervous since I'm going to my first tournament ever tomorrow, a weekly in Salt Lake City in 801Labs... I feel like such a scrub right now. Going as a Ness main and Yoshi secondary, Jigglypuff as a pocket.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty freakin' nervous since I'm going to my first tournament ever tomorrow, a weekly in Salt Lake City in 801Labs... I feel like such a scrub right now. Going as a Ness main and Yoshi secondary, Jigglypuff as a pocket.
As you should be, I'm gonna plunder your butthole.

Seriously though, it's not a big deal. No one cares and people are cool.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ This

Dont go in expecting to do amazing, go in with the mindset to learn and meet people. Tbh, the people who get the most out of playing smash are the ones who make good friendships in the community, having a good time should ALWAYS be your first priority. Once you make friends and start having a good time, THEN you can focus on actually getting better, cuz otherwise who would you have to play with anyway?

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. And if you have any worries or confusion, feel free to bring them up to me. I TO Smash 4, and am more than willing to help you with any issues you may have concerning the game, rules, other people there, etc.

WoolMoth

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know about the smash scene at USU? I'm deciding between the U and USU for next year and how good the smash is a legit concern of mine.

Espurr's Eyes

Smash Cadet
Small, but there are *technically* two weeklies, one on wednesdays and one on saturdays. I only say technically because not as many people go on wednesday.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Fought through the worst hangover ever to go to the tournament just to lose two peach dittos. Worst tournament ever lol.

Half of my losses lately have been peach dittos.

Last edited:

kaln0ky

Smash Rookie
Fought through the worst hangover ever to go to the tournament just to lose two peach dittos. Worst tournament ever lol.

let's be honest, though. you still would've lost :smash::smash::smash:

Last edited:

2 Johns

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know about the smash scene at USU? I'm deciding between the U and USU for next year and how good the smash is a legit concern of mine.
I would say the better smash scene is definitely at the U. I only know of a couple guys from USU. The proximity to smash may also be something to consider, the U has tracks and things that allow you to get to tourneys easier. In the end though I feel you should not decide on a school based on smash.

PK Freeze α

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItHurtsToLive
3DS FC
4699-9481-8084
I would say the better smash scene is definitely at the U. I only know of a couple guys from USU. The proximity to smash may also be something to consider, the U has tracks and things that allow you to get to tourneys easier. In the end though I feel you should not decide on a school based on smash.
Yeah but in all honesty the U is a better school in both education AND Smash so... I say you should go to the U.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
The only reason you should be choosing USU over the U is cost. Cost of living in Cache Valley is hella low. I pay 200 a month for rent here. It's a nice ass house too.

However, I personally love USU. It's been one of the best decisions I've made. If you are trying to decide which university due to smash... I don't think USU is a better place to smash at all. It's far more remote(1 hour 45 minutes to SLC) and not nearly as many players. But really, don't decide a school based on smash. That's just plain silly.

Last edited:

WoolMoth

Smash Rookie
The only reason you should be choosing USU over the U is cost. Cost of living in Cache Valley is hella low. I pay 200 a month for rent here. It's a nice *** house too.

However, I personally love USU. It's been one of the best decisions I've made. If you are trying to decide which university due to smash... I don't think USU is a better place to smash at all. It's far more remote(1 hour 45 minutes to SLC) and not nearly as many players. But really, don't decide a school based on smash. That's just plain silly.
I just want to clarify that I'm not choosing it a school solely based on smash but that is definitely a factor when deciding between the two. But thanks for your answers.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
How does the timing at the tournament at 801 Labs usually go? I'm probably headed down tomorrow but I can't stay too late because of work.

Also, should I bring a Wii U? I don't have a TV I can bring but I have everything else if necessary.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

Counter them with the puff

Sandfall

Stage Designer
It's pretty much nonexistent. Most people just play with their groups of friends and tournaments don't really happen up here. There's interest though. Whenever the USU eSports club throws a tournament, they get a bunch of people (for Smash 4 at least). It really just needs someone to start one at the university.

I only say technically because not as many people go on wednesday.
Hm, I think that's because it isn't really advertised well :p
Are those held at the Fusion lounge too? (also, which games are played there)

Last edited:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
How does the timing at the tournament at 801 Labs usually go? I'm probably headed down tomorrow but I can't stay too late because of work.

Also, should I bring a Wii U? I don't have a TV I can bring but I have everything else if necessary.
Usually Wii U starts ~8 - 8:15 and ends anywhere between 10-11. As for the wii u, we don't usually have spare TVs as of the beginning of this month

hylian_buffalo

Smash Rookie
What time do the monthly smash tournaments at the coffee house usually end for Wii U singles? Me and my girlfriend have wanted to go to one but we are in high school still so her parents probably won't let us go if we will be back late. And we live in Tooele too so it would take us about 45 minutes to drive home.

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I just want to clarify that I'm not choosing it a school solely based on smash but that is definitely a factor when deciding between the two.
It shouldn't be a factor at all when making such a big life decision.

It looks like Wii U will be starting later from now on, at 8:30, so that it doesn't overlap with Melee. It should end around the same time as what Bellsworth said, though, since with them not overlapping, players who enter both won't delay the tournament due to having matches going on in the other game.

What time do the monthly smash tournaments at the coffee house usually end for Wii U singles? Me and my girlfriend have wanted to go to one but we are in high school still so her parents probably won't let us go if we will be back late. And we live in Tooele too so it would take us about 45 minutes to drive home.
The last one ended at 2:30 AM. LOL But unless you're coming to expect to place really well, you won't need to stay anywhere near that long. Of course, if you do place really well, it'll be worth staying that long since 1st place walked home with almost $400.

hylian_buffalo

Smash Rookie
The last one ended at 2:30 AM. LOL But unless you're coming to expect to place really well, you won't need to stay anywhere near that long. Of course, if you do place really well, it'll be worth staying that long since 1st place walked home with almost $400.
Well looks like we are waiting until we are 18 lol.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
There were some... troubles on the last one that ran it so late. Usually it ends around 1 AM at the latest. I may have to make some adjustments though, need to go over that with Bryce sometime though.

Top Bottom