• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I got a hold of one of the melee people on the facebook group. I'm glad to hear its serious smash. The other things I've been to at BYU were always a joke. FFA items, and the people hosting legitimately disliked the competitive scene though Kenny won both semesters we went.
They just did some smash 4 tourney at that new little credit union that opened across from J dawgs. Their format was like double elimination, but they only played like 4 games a week, then would play more the next week. I don't know why it was this way, but whatever the reason, it gave me cancer. I showed up to see if any of them played Melee to try to recruit them, played my 1 set of smash 4 and won against some ragetard, saw that it was a lost cause, and peaced.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
just so everyone knows, i'll be taking over the provo weekly (at game den) and the salt lake weekly (at 801 labs) starting in february. with gamer's abbey no longer providing monitors for the weekly, it is up to the smashers to bring complete setups (console, game, tvs/monitors, adapters, extension cords, and anything else required to use the system for tournament).

so to even see the viability of "going back to grassroots", please bring complete setups this week. you will not get a venue fee waived unless you have a complete setup used in tournament.

if the [number of entrants] < 8 or ((([number of entrants] * 2) - 1) * 10) / [number of setups] > 120, then there will be no official rated tournament that week.

also, to give people more control of their rating, i am willing to include money matches in the ratings. so if you think someone is higher than you in the ratings and they shouldn't be, money match them. however, there will be certain limitations. you both must agree prior to the match that it is a "rated" match, it must be a best of 5 with standard tournament rules, and both of you and a witness must report on the match to me within 24 hours.

also also, everyone needs to let me know of their smashboards account name. this will be your official name in my ratings, in brackets, and on the smashboards rankings. if you do not have one, or do not like the name you currently have, make a new account on smashboards (even if you'll never use it). very few exceptions will be made on this.

let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Truth.

Also, if you are in the Provo/BYU area, we have melee fests as a BYU crew every week on Fridays. And I'm not talking about that ******** "official" byu smash club that used to exist or still exists, I don't even know. They're garbage. The fests are on campus tho so if you aren't a student, or an alum at BYU or UVU, just hit me up.
where on campus? i'm trying to get my boy Squib into melee

BernShesh

Smash Rookie
Yo, I'm newish to the scene here, but I've been able to come to some game den weeklies here and there, I mainly play sm4sh, but I can play some pm as well.

I currently attend UVU, and I have 0 social media accounts. I'm lucky I stumbled on this, tbh.

Anyways, other than the game den weeklies, are there any other places that have weeklies, or anything similar I could get in on? Like, right now I have two friends I play with, and one of them will only play Robin. I'm just lookin to get in on the scene a bit more.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
The facebook group known as Utah Smash is filled to the brim with smash 4 memes, "DUDE BANNED" jokes, casuals etc. We should have Utah melee group page as well as a Utah Smash 4 group page. Vegas does the same thing and the facebook groups are a lot more tolerable. That way we don't get people from different games constantly bickering. No one acquires extra chromosomes and we can have a great time. An interest in Utah melee is very different from an interest in Utah Smash 4. This justifies having two separate facebook groups. Utah smash can be used for general info and general news about the scene etc.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
The facebook group known as Utah Smash is filled to the brim with smash 4 memes, "DUDE BANNED" jokes, casuals etc. We should have Utah melee group page as well as a Utah Smash 4 group page. Vegas does the same thing and the facebook groups are a lot more tolerable. That way we don't get people from different games constantly bickering. No one acquires extra chromosomes and we can have a great time. An interest in Utah melee is very different from an interest in Utah Smash 4. This justifies having two separate facebook groups. Utah smash can be used for general info and general news about the scene etc.
this is a good idea. i play smash 4 plenty but seeing posts about it instead of melee stuff gets me ticked

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I think I might have to drop one of my 16 mains. I think the nerfs hit Luigi too hard and now He struggles in some match ups. I'm also picking up Zelda, Roy, and G&W as secondaries. I'm also going to start maining Ness, because I think He has some untapped potential. Also, We should totally allow custom Mii fighters, because I feel it adds more depth to the game's viable roster. Pls don't hate Me, K thnx.

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Yes Please.

DrPhantasma

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrPhantasma
3DS FC
3325-3045-0409
Best Smash 4 Marth on the West side of Layton, Utah reporting in. Now accepting all $10-$20 money matches in Smash 4. I took a game from X once with Dedede as well so get at me if you want to donate to my personal charity. Just trying to show the UT scene what's up by robbing more people than just those in my youth group, pastor Mike would be proud.

kaln0ky

Smash Rookie

yo TB, you read my freakin mind. This idea is great imo. keep the utah smash page but add seperate ones for melee and 4. things like pictures of food on your way to genesis, your top plays from CoD, that 'ok' anime character fill the brim of the utah smash page. idk how these things are relevant. i think this is great for those who want to keep in the loop without all the ****posts

Espurr's Eyes

Smash Cadet
Does anyone not use the facebook page because facebook is just disgusting? It's simply a terrible website for things like forums and discussion.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
yo TB, you read my freakin mind. This idea is great imo. keep the utah smash page but add seperate ones for melee and 4. things like pictures of food on your way to genesis, your top plays from CoD, that 'ok' anime character fill the brim of the utah smash page. idk how these things are relevant. i think this is great for those who want to keep in the loop without all the ****posts
Only cucks post ****ty CoD highlights. Brb KMS

Last edited:

kaln0ky

Smash Rookie
you don't like my food pictures? :-(
no h8, john, i just didn't see the relevancy in the pics of food. i guess you could argue that it was on the way to genesis. anyway, lately it has gotten to the point where i see 80%+ sm4sh posts. i got nothing against the game it's just that i think that with the facebook group reaching close to 1k members and the amount that is posted, that there could be a group where us only interested in melee could be a part of without sm4sh posts clogging our feed. sometimes on the utah smash FB page, i gotta scroll through dozens upon dozens of posts that are sm4sh related before getting to a post that i find relevant to me.

Smash Journeyman
You mean You don't want to read 50 posts about Smash 4 DLC and who is going to main the new characters? I'm super excited to see "Why Corrin is top tier" by: RandomGuy829.

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
This is actually why we made a BYU Melee Facebook page all the way back in like October or September. Just got tired of so much garbage in the pages. It was a challenge to actually sort through all of the **** to find any post that was worth reading or about something important, like upcoming tournaments. And people give us crap for "keeping to ourselves" as a BYU crew cause of it, but freak. Just got so tired of it.

Also, what is this punctuation man, "That way we don't get people from different games constantly bickering. No one acquires extra chromosomes and we can have a great time." You should have just used serial commas instead of that disgusting period. Basic stuff hombre.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i just didn't see the relevancy in the pics of food
you probably wouldn't since it doesn't seem like you get much from the social part of the scene. but a lot of people do. just because it's not specifically about smash, doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted. people should see that there is opportunity to form friendships in the community (and many smashers may not have much success in this area). mafia was a highly liked portion at the smash summit. in competitive math, ultimate was a great ice breaker for people from many different countries and has become almost part of the culture. most people enjoy seeing people relaxed and having a good time :-p.

people give us crap for "keeping to ourselves" as a BYU crew
people don't give you crap because you have your own fests or your own facebook group, it's because even when you all [rarely] attend events outside of your own clique, you still mainly stick to yourselves. just being real, but i hate that. i think it reflects poorly of us byu students and feeds into the stereotype that lds people like to segregate themselves from everyone else. coming from a highly isolationist community (korean people) in a highly diverse state (maryland, one of only 3 minority-majority states), i grew to hate that type of self-imposed seclusion.

---

i honestly don't know why people have such strong feelings about seeing things about games they're not interested in. do i get annoyed when i see casual players posting inane things in a competitive forum? sure! but i also don't feel the need to follow and read everything religiously. even the "relevant" smash stuff is mostly reddit reposts :-p. and as a t.o., i see the possibility of that casual player becoming a competitive player, or that smash 4 player becoming a melee player and vice versa. i understand the comfort of homogeneity, but i think it's immature to desire echo chambers :-p.

and honestly, if utah ever wants to get big, both scenes need each other. each scene cannot sustain a large convention-sized tournament on their own and i want utah smash to get big enough that out-of-staters would actually *want* to come to our events. as a competitive air hockey player, our tournaments were usually combined with other tabletop games like foosball and shuffleboard because we weren't big enough on our own to rent out hotels and convention centers. we all got along just fine and it was great when someone from another game would come over as an interested observer. i don't see why the same can't be true of our smash scenes.

i don't know. maybe i'm just too hopeful. maybe video gamers will never break the stereotype of being unsociable, obnoxious 12-year olds :-/.

Smash Journeyman
My issue isn't so much about seeing content from other games as it is with so many posts (which coincidentally are usually Smash 4 related) being borderline spam. When the FB group is mostly reddit reposts, memes, and people talking about which character they're playing this week, it becomes a bit useless for people not interested in that sort of thing.

kaln0ky

Smash Rookie
you probably wouldn't since it doesn't seem like you get much from the social part of the scene.
i feel like i socialize quite a bit with a good chunk of the melee community. it just so happens that on wednesday nights, i have to go straight to work right after so i can't do 'basic things'. same goes for monthlies. almost every entrant every wednesday i have talked to or play with all of them. some more than others. even when i'm not there, i hop on the stream once i get to work. i didn't have any problems with the pictures to and from genesis when it consists of group photos but i don't understand pictures of just food. that's what instagram is for. put yourself in the pic with your meal, dude!

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
people don't give you crap because you have your own fests or your own facebook group, it's because even when you all [rarely] attend events outside of your own clique, you still mainly stick to yourselves. just being real, but i hate that. i think it reflects poorly of us byu students and feeds into the stereotype that lds people like to segregate themselves from everyone else. coming from a highly isolationist community (korean people) in a highly diverse state (maryland, one of only 3 minority-majority states), i grew to hate that type of self-imposed seclusion.
I feel like A) that's quite exaggerated, and B) why in the world would we get called out for that when literally everybody in the smash scene does that? Go to any fest or weekly. Who do you see people playing friendlies with or talking with? Usually their own crew of homies, whoever it is. I don't think that means people are being exclusive though. Like our crew played friendlies with almost everybody else there that night, but just like you said, people's friendships within the smash community are probably what matter most to them, so that's why they want to be with those people instead of others. If somebody doesn't have any friends in smash, then no offense but they need to go out of their way on their own to try to make friends, or talk to you or Tim about it. That's how I became friends with James(ME), Rvkys, Judge, and eventually created the whole BYU Melee scene as it is now. This dumb topic gets brought up like every week, and idk if it's cause people want to rehash it over and over, or if it's cause a new person voices that they don't feel "welcome" every week, but damn.

i honestly don't know why people have such strong feelings about seeing things about games they're not interested in. do i get annoyed when i see casual players posting inane things in a competitive forum? sure! but i also don't feel the need to follow and read everything religiously. even the "relevant" smash stuff is mostly reddit reposts :-p. and as a t.o., i see the possibility of that casual player becoming a competitive player, or that smash 4 player becoming a melee player and vice versa. i understand the comfort of homogeneity, but i think it's immature to desire echo chambers :-p.

and honestly, if utah ever wants to get big, both scenes need each other. each scene cannot sustain a large convention-sized tournament on their own and i want utah smash to get big enough that out-of-staters would actually *want* to come to our events. as a competitive air hockey player, our tournaments were usually combined with other tabletop games like foosball and shuffleboard because we weren't big enough on our own to rent out hotels and convention centers. we all got along just fine and it was great when someone from another game would come over as an interested observer. i don't see why the same can't be true of our smash scenes.

i don't know. maybe i'm just too hopeful. maybe video gamers will never break the stereotype of being unsociable, obnoxious 12-year olds :-/.
I don't think it's obnoxious or immature at all to get tired of seeing 12 "Who else mains Lucas in Utah???" posts a week. Just like we've been talking about, a lot about smash is the interactions smashers have with each other and a lot of that happens on social media, so when the main Facebook page for those interactions gets so bogged down with posts like that, I think its both reasonable and even expected for some to want to create a new group to discuss smash in. Seeing the new Utah Melee page though, I think it's fantastic and should be supported. Already there's been a lot more discussion about the competitive aspects of the game and the page feels like it should. I think the Smash 4 scene should create a separate group just like it if they haven't already. No matter how "friendly" our scene is, or how much interest Melee players or Smash 4 players have in each others' games, what'll bring people in from out of state and what'll make our scene big is being good. Like that's the bottom line. Ka-master alone has probably generated more interest in the Utah smash scene than any other factor in like the past year. We created our BYU Melee scene to get more people at BYU and UVU to play, but more so to help them and us get better at the game. And to have a separate group dedicated to the more competitive players in Utah while keeping the older "all-inclusive" one is completely fine. If someone wants to try to get into the competitive scene more and get better at the game, nobody is stopping them.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Also, what is this punctuation man, "That way we don't get people from different games constantly bickering. No one acquires extra chromosomes and we can have a great time." You should have just used serial commas instead of that disgusting period. Basic stuff hombre.
Didn't double check. I guess that's why I major in Chemistry :/.

Really great point. I can't really speak for BYU but playing with other people is important.

It's just the fact that Utah Smash is getting incredibly cluttered with different interests. I think it would be best if we made separate facebook groups to keep things focused. It doesn't need to be a Smash 4 vs Melee thing. It honestly is just for practical reasons. I do agree with the fact that people who hate Smash 4 to the point where they can't even interact with Smash 4 players are, in general, cancerous beings. Behavior like that shouldn't be encouraged. Perhaps, I should have introduced the idea in a more "professional" manner.

Also I don't mind the food pics. Devon smiling for a pic makes me chuckle every time.

as a competitive air hockey player,
Ayyyyyy MM me.

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Maybe instead of having separate pages for sm4sh and melee, we could have a social page where people can discuss things that don't have to be relevant to smash. Then have a serious page where people discuss things only about the game.

Last edited:

Espurr's Eyes

Smash Cadet
We should have a page on facebook for smash people to talk amongst themselves on things that are off topic and related to smash, and another place for talk strictly about smash, our community related to smash, and smash events, perhaps on a forum dedicated specifically to smash.

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
We should have a page on facebook for smash people to talk amongst themselves on things that are off topic and related to smash, and another place for talk strictly about smash, our community related to smash, and smash events, perhaps on a forum dedicated specifically to smash.
I like this idea, if only there was some way this could possibly be implemented in some way.

Top Bottom