• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Yaaaa, if people from Utah could stop scrubbing the **** up and making the front page of reddit, that'd be great.

Anyways I have one comment about the commentary. Whoever the dudes are in the jerseys, clearly you really wanna commentate which is cool. You're not awkward or anything which is probably the toughest part. But a commentator should know at least the basics of the game they're watching and not complain much about it. Hearing things like "I don't know much at all about this game, I don't play it at all." or "I'm not crazy about smash 4 I pretty much just play melee" pretty much just makes me think so get off the mic then.

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Yaaaa, if people from Utah could stop scrubbing the **** up and making the front page of reddit, that'd be great.

Anyways I have one comment about the commentary. Whoever the dudes are in the jerseys, clearly you really wanna commentate which is cool. You're not awkward or anything which is probably the toughest part. But a commentator should know at least the basics of the game they're watching and not complain much about it. Hearing things like "I don't know much at all about this game, I don't play it at all." or "I'm not crazy about smash 4 I pretty much just play melee" pretty much just makes me think so get off the mic then.
Also the hype was pretty forced at some points. And for whatever reason you guys think you own the commentary desk, which makes NO sense. For my mm against soapsuds it would have been so sick to have my boy Steamfriedasian and his boy A Psychiatrist on commentary (who both are really good and know falcon) and thats what the TO told us we were gonna do. But Steamfried walks over there and you simply tell him he doesn't get to do commentary because you guys feel entitled to it? Fvck that ****. Get off your high horse and let other people do it. I dunno if you guys even play melee cuz you're always just hovering around the commentary desk like you own it.

Link for reference. http://www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/b/639965955?t=1h32m00s

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Also the hype was pretty forced at some points. And for whatever reason you guys think you own the commentary desk, which makes NO sense. For my mm against soapsuds it would have been so sick to have my boy Steamfriedasian and his boy A Psychiatrist on commentary (who both are really good and know falcon) and thats what the TO told us we were gonna do. But Steamfried walks over there and you simply tell him he doesn't get to do commentary because you guys feel entitled to it? Fvck that ****. Get off your high horse and let other people do it. I dunno if you guys even play melee cuz you're always just hovering around the commentary desk like you own it.

Link for reference. http://www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/b/639965955?t=1h32m00s
ya, it was weird when i sent them over to commentate, and then they came back to me and said that the commentators wouldn't wouldn't let them commentate. i sent them there for a reason, people! :-p

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
There's a lot of things I'm happy about yesterday and a lot I'm not. I felt absolutely awful about the brief steamfried incident and ended up apologizing to him after the fact, it was a mistake on my part and I'm going to take all the precautions to avoid that in the future. It was a long day and I was in a weird move, but regardless it was unacceptable. I came off as territortial both before and during that moment and it's item one of page one of the list of things I want to work on to better.

I meant no disrespect to steamfried or anyone for that matter, but that doesn't matter because I obviously did end up disrepecting. So in addition to what I said to steanfried, I want to apologize to everyone else for the things I messed up on yesterday. Hopefully from here things get better.

EDIT: Had some spelling errors to fix

Last edited:

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
There's a lot of things I'm happy about yesterday and a lot I'm not. I felt absolutely awful about the brief steamfried incident and ended up apologizing to him after the fact, it was a mistake on my part and I'm going to take all the precautions to avoid that in the future. It was a long day and I was in a weird move, but regardless it was unacceptable. I came off as territortial both before and during that moment and it's item one of page one of the list of things I want to work on to better.

I meant no disrespect to steamfried or anyone for that matter, but that doesn't matter because I obviously did end up disrepecting. So in addition to what I said to steanfried, I want to apologize to everyone else for the things I messed up on yesterday. Hopefully from here things get better.
Dude you did great, don't worry about it. Sure, saying the word "buster" so often got super annoying, and you could and should definitely improve on your game knowledge, but in the past it's been difficult to get people to commentate at all. The fact that there is somebody willing to come just to commentate, is awesome. Definitely keep working on improving your commentating, but we're grateful you're here to do it.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
'Memeing off' is one of the obvious things I need to improve, and for the most part it occurs more frequently when I lack the knowledge. So I need to sit down and learn, and it's what I plan to do. Also on that subject, I'd actually love if someone could walk through smash 4 a bit over PM (don't want to clog the thread). I mentioned to bellsworth that I just honestly can't really accurately figure out matchups and my commentary suffers exponentially because of that. Also there's the misidentification of moves and tech. Lots of things really.

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
That pist me off super bad. Like bad. So thanks for apologizing. Just make sure that kinda **** does not ever happen again. Other people are capable of commentary.

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
Honestly if we don't know the game we should have people who do know commentating I agree with that, I'm still working on learning about Sm4sh my self, I would like to be able to commentate on matches but most my knowledge is in PM

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i almost forgot about that combo with the captain falcon hype, but ya, that was epic! you can hear me in the background being amazed :-p. static partners maybe? ;-)

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Smash4 now completely set up with all customs and the Evo sets... Well... Set. At least for 80% of the cast. 100% soon. Will bring it to all weeklies I go to for people who want to play S4 w/ customs.

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^^
Alright, @ R Razgrizmerc so this is like the 5th time you've said something along those lines so I feel compelled to respond. Do you even know how to practice? Because netting game hours alone isn't going to get you that W.

Last edited:

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
Learning Tech, Repeating Motions, Learning more tech, Playing Vs Others, Match up Knowledge. I know what I need to do, just can't execute any of it properly

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Learning Tech, Repeating Motions, Learning more tech, Playing Vs Others, Match up Knowledge. I know what I need to do, just can't execute any of it properly
I didn't ask what you should practice. I asked how. (To be fair repeating motions is an actual practice strat, but there are ways you could make it more complex and more efficient)

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
That's all well and good. It'll help you out. You're missing the absolute biggest thing, though: Correcting mistakes. It sounds like a given, but it's literally big enough to be a specific item on that list of things. The only thing that comes close is directly related: recognizing mistakes. Because, without those 2 things, none of what you just listed will matter.

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
That's all well and good. It'll help you out. You're missing the absolute biggest thing, though: Correcting mistakes. It sounds like a given, but it's literally big enough to be a specific item on that list of things. The only thing that comes close is directly related: recognizing mistakes. Because, without those 2 things, none of what you just listed will matter.
I've been watching my PM match that I lost for the past 2 hours trying to see where I need to Improve, I'm all for correcting mistakes and probably shoulda listed it. As for how to Practice, for Tech like L canceling and Wave dashing it's just repeating the motions and getting comfortable with it. Things like character specific tech I want to learn but feel like if I can't do it right to start with because I'm unsure then it's generally harder for me to learn.(eg. Wave Shine/Multishine)

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
I didn't ask what you should practice. I asked how. (To be fair repeating motions is an actual practice strat, but there are ways you could make it more complex and more efficient)
I'm all for people showing me how to do things if you're willing to show me, I'm willing to learn

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Just as a general thing, every time you make a mistake you teach your body to keep on making that mistake. Repeating an activity creates a neural path in your brain allowing you to call on those actions more quickly and accurately. However, based on the same idea, when a person messes up they also begin to make that mistake easier to make.

-edit- @ R Razgrizmerc

This is where the 100 penny method comes in. Take wavedashing as an example. Every correct wave dash would equal 1 penny. When you get to 100 pennies (100 correct wavedashes) you win! However, every time you miss a wave dash you reset to zero pennies. If you manage to do this you would have just taught your body to do 100/100 wavedashes correctly--- you'd pretty much never have to practice the tech again and you would have accomplished it in a day or two.

For the record, even though that's effective, its also ridiculous. Cut it down to 5 or 10 pennies every practice session to be more manageable, but understand it will take more sessions that way.

This is just the tip of the iceberg to. The fun comes when you start thinking up ways to ensure correct performance so that you don't have to reset to 0 pennies as often.

For character specific tech you A) want to verify how to perform the tech. There was lots of tech that I couldn't do only because I was using an inefficient series of button presses/motions. And B) identify what part of the tech you miss and why. After you got that run the 100 penny method or whatever number of trials you're good with.

-double edit-

Tech is the most straightforward to practice but the same ideas apply to the more nebulous aspects of smash as well. It just takes a little creativity to set up re-runnable trials of situations to get those pennies in.

SCIENCE OUT

Last edited:
Top Bottom