• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
@ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos here is the schedule:
11:00 am: Brawl Doubles / Smash 4 3DS (all day on side)
12:30 pm: Brawl Singles
3:30 pm: PM Singles
6:30 pm: Melee Doubles
8:30 pm: Melee Singles

though I am probably going to hold off on 3ds until after brawl so that that can get done ever so slightly faster.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
@ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos here is the schedule:
11:00 am: Brawl Doubles / Smash 4 3DS (all day on side)
12:30 pm: Brawl Singles
3:30 pm: PM Singles
6:30 pm: Melee Doubles
8:30 pm: Melee Singles

though I am probably going to hold off on 3ds until after brawl so that that can get done ever so slightly faster.
What?! No Wii U tournament? j/k

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I expressed why I didnt come on Facebook. I'll definitely go to some stuff in the near future. Not this week cuz Thanksgiving = Family stuff and then Black Friday will destroy my will to do anything, but probably next next week.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So, I might have access to a gaming store every Sunday. Who would be down for some weeklies, biweeklies, etc at a mtg store in Lehi?
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

Finally something to do on a Sunday. Friggen mormon ass state.

I See

Smash Apprentice
Devon, Tell me how youre s good as you are now cause of all the times youve played me haha. You cant make one mistake

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Finally a tournament where I wasn't a total buster. Shoutouts to @ Tsuteto Tsuteto for bringing all the setups over. @ net1234 net1234 and @Dylan and @ Pumpinz Pumpinz for that support along with my boyz.
@ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos I watched that match on stream again and realized I do a bunch of **** with my face :mario64: gg
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto get bodied :falcon64:
Shout outs to that Pikachu I played sheik against (I'm so sorry bro) @Baby and @Kid for good matches.
Hopefully I can place even better next time, got to work on my combos for all the spacies that came out - so many spacies :foxmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::foxmelee:xx.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
time to expose some vegas secrets boys. the main "tactic" jpeg would always get me with was this subtle movement change where he'd whiff an aerial that looks like it's punishable. but whatever stick movement he was doing to slightly influence his air momentum would give him enough time to side b afterwards, which ducks falcon slightly further away before lurching forward, which would make my **** whiff and then I'd get tenderized. and when falcon has you on the ground with momentum it is god damn hard to win, especially for a heavily based momentum player like myself. his play is solid all around, but lots of great players have these small nearly unnoticeable things they do differently from others, leaving lots of situations where you've punished 200 other people doing the same thing but doesn't work on them. B A I T B O Y S

you also see falco and fox players doing this when they do running short hop dairs from platforms (typically yoshi's because it covers so much of the stage). good players will do this approach because it covers a lot of space, is fast, has high reward, and often works. great players will stand where it looks like they'll get hit by that and bait it out directly to get a grab. even greater players pull all their momentum back and don't fastfall to bait the great players grab and get a greater counter-grab.

don't be great guys, be greater
hope ur all ownage now

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
actually a large part of the game is rating your opponent's skill level and determining whether or not the way they cracked you in every neutral game skirmish was intentional and conscious, or an accident. sometimes you can go multiple levels deep in da mindgames when you adjust to their **** and then they counter-adjust. then sometimes people revert back to the original thing that was done and handled because you don't expect it anymore because they know that you know about it and won't fall for it. the bad things becomes good again. the circle of liiiiiiifffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tomacawk

Smash Master
once i punished a peach player all game long in a friendly because i would never jump when he was on a plat above me, and he would dmash every ****ing time, and then i'd come up and drill grab him afterwards. then the 2nd to last time of the game he didn't do it. we were both last stock and the situation came up again, and i immediately went to attack. this mother ****** had the audacity to disrespect me and go right back to that newb ass dsmash spam, when I had been punishing it ALL GAME, either because he's smart and knew that I knew that he knew it was bad and therefore didn't expect it, or because he's a scrub ass who panicked in the end of the game and did the riskiest option with the highest reward (probably that but who knows. if i were better, i'd play safer on last stock situations knowing that people so frequently do this).

i took like 40% and got edge guarded FUUUUUUUU--
i love this game doe
triplecawk out boys

Last edited:

Chukwaffles

Smash Cadet
Neumont was super good! Great matches everyone, it was awesome.

One thing I noticed, there is a lot of trashtalk that happens in the middle of matches. That's not cool, I understand in friendlies you wanna talk and stuff, but seriously, enough trashtalking while we're playing a tournament match.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
once i punished a peach player all game long in a friendly because i would never jump when he was on a plat above me, and he would dmash every ****ing time, and then i'd come up and drill grab him afterwards. then the 2nd to last time of the game he didn't do it. we were both last stock and the situation came up again, and i immediately went to attack. this mother ****er had the audacity to disrespect me and go right back to that newb *** dsmash spam, when I had been punishing it ALL GAME, either because he's smart and knew that I knew that he knew it was bad and therefore didn't expect it, or because he's a scrub *** who panicked in the end of the game and did the riskiest option with the highest reward (probably that but who knows. if i were better, i'd play safer on last stock situations knowing that people so frequently do this).

i took like 40% and got edge guarded FUUUUUUUU--
i love this game doe
triplecawk out boys
always appreciate the wisdom bro i wish i was in the scene earlier to pick ur brain like i pick my nose

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
One thing I noticed, there is a lot of trashtalk that happens in the middle of matches. That's not cool, I understand in friendlies you wanna talk and stuff, but seriously, enough trashtalking while we're playing a tournament match.
Net is definitely the biggest offender of this. LOL He even talks trash to players while they are playing their tournament match when he's not in the match, which is banned in a lot of tournaments. Don't know how we should handle this here, but if there are people here that are against it, then it's definitely an issue that needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
trash talk is part of the game and im all for it lol
even if its against me
don't be scrub just zone it out like the great players do

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ net1234 net1234 don't trash talk games you're spectating and be nice to new players, and maybe the TOs should ban the former.
I know I would be incredibly discouraged if my first match at my first tournament was ****ting on me the whole time. I still remember my first match and how afterwards the other player just said a few nice things and I instantly felt like part of the scene and very welcome.

Chukwaffles

Smash Cadet
Hey @ net1234 net1234 don't trash talk games you're spectating and be nice to new players, and maybe the TOs should ban the former.
I know I would be incredibly discouraged if my first match at my first tournament was ****ting on me the whole time. I still remember my first match and how afterwards the other player just said a few nice things and I instantly felt like part of the scene and very welcome.
This is more than just @ net1234 net1234 , from what I've seen, there's a decent group of people who are pretty vocal when they play, which is ok. It's not ok when you're directly addressing the other player or other people who are watching a commentating on what's happening right by you.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
@ C Chukwaffles thanks for being my doubles partner.

On the subject of trash talk: It's going to happen. Everyone will have to deal with it, and how they do is up to them.

Is it rude if I say "tune it out"? If you have major problems, listen to music while playing or something. I've never had a major problem, but I can see how discouraging it would be to newer players.

Try to go easy with the trash talk on newer players, everyone.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Tim has something to say about Trash talk and what not... soon.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i think equating smash at our level to a professional sport is a pretty large stretch. and even if you go down that alley, professional sports have systems in place to foster growth outside of the prime time competitive scene. if you start trash talking a random person's kid at a peewee youth league, i'm pretty sure you won't be looked at too kindly by others. and even other gaming scenes have banned players for trash talk at high level.

not gonna lie, all this talk seems pretty juvenile. is it really that hard of a concept to treat people you're not close to civilly? there's a reason people hold the stereotypical gamer as a socially-inept recluse. if you're friends with the person, then i gather you know the boundaries of your friendship, but people you don't know should be encouraged and, at worst, ignored. to actively discourage someone you don't know in such a intimate setting just shows a lack of interpersonal skills.

if you don't want to encourage people to come out and contribute to the pot, why come out to a social gathering of players? just play by yourself and no one will care. but if you go to a public setting, basic social etiquette is expected :-p.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
There is a distinction between trash talking and annoying comments, though.

I want to know some instances where people were actually trash talking, especially during matches.

Like, when Roguay plays- he usually has his crew supporting him. I've played against Roguay during that and I do find it a little annoying but I acknowledge how it contributes to the overall hype. That, however, is not trash talk.

I think trash talk is more along the lines of if Roguay's friends were screaming how bad of I player I was while I was playing Roguay... but that doesn't happen.

Top Bottom