• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tomacawk

Smash Master
now that ciz is gone i can finally talk about how he's totally a huge newb and how i woulda beat him except johns and i'll get him next time because he sux ur mom

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Alright guys, next big tournament, SLComicCon FanX. Brawl and Melee singles, and a ton of stuff being given at the event too. I've been working with Utah3DS to make sure the tournament side of things will go well, and they took the other details and went amazing with them. When we saw that they were charging tax AND a convenience fee for whatever reason, we lowered our fees to make it better for you guys, without cutting any of the extras that are being provided. The preliminary event will have a TON of stuff provided, like food, giveaways, super nice venue, etc.

Direct tournament details:
Payouts to top 6, top 8 if 100+ attend.
Top 4 of each division get a 3 day pass to the Con, and will finish the competition there (we'll make sure you're able to warm up with some matches at the event)
Payment is acceptable online currently, or you can attend Utah3DS's event and pay in person there (if you can't attend event and want to still pay to compete, but absolutely abhor paying online, message me)
Zankoku will be streaming

So who's all attending? Who's all got questions? And stuff? And pie?

Applicable links
Smashboards event page: http://smashboards.com/threads/apr-...ash-bros-tournament-salt-lake-city-ut.348851/
Page on FanX: http://saltlakecomiccon.com/fanx-super-smash-bros-tournament/
Utah3DS event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/680619868627548/

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, next big tournament, SLComicCon FanX. Brawl and Melee singles, and a ton of stuff being given at the event too. I've been working with Utah3DS to make sure the tournament side of things will go well, and they took the other details and went amazing with them. When we saw that they were charging tax AND a convenience fee for whatever reason, we lowered our fees to make it better for you guys, without cutting any of the extras that are being provided. The preliminary event will have a TON of stuff provided, like food, giveaways, super nice venue, etc.

Direct tournament details:
Payouts to top 6, top 8 if 100+ attend.
Top 4 of each division get a 3 day pass to the Con, and will finish the competition there (we'll make sure you're able to warm up with some matches at the event)
Payment is acceptable online currently, or you can attend Utah3DS's event and pay in person there (if you can't attend event and want to still pay to compete, but absolutely abhor paying online, message me)
Zankoku will be streaming

So who's all attending? Who's all got questions? And stuff? And pie?

Applicable links
Smashboards event page: http://smashboards.com/threads/apr-...ash-bros-tournament-salt-lake-city-ut.348851/
Page on FanX: http://saltlakecomiccon.com/fanx-super-smash-bros-tournament/
Utah3DS event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/680619868627548/
2 of us asked this earlier with no response:
I sent somebody an email about this earlier, but do you think it's possible for some people to bring some PM setups for friendlies on the side?
Some of us live on campus and it wouldn't require much effort for us to bring a setup to the venue. What Snap and I are wondering, however, is whether or not we can bring a setup for Project Melee friendlies for players to play on the side before/after/between tourney matches.

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I will personally provide two set ups for PM friendlies. Sorry that your questions were missed. People may possibly bring other set ups for it, though depending on needs depends on seeing up availability

Shylock

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1943-0839
I am also, unfortunately, in the position of no monies XD I really want to go to more tourneys though so I'm really trying to figure something out

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
More like the interest of driving the community forward. Broken bones are just a byproduct possibility :)

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Just punch him in the face. It's worked for me. May have to pay extra though. You know, in lawsuits and what not. Turns out he's a beast in that too.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Just punch him in the face. It's worked for me. May have to pay extra though. You know, in lawsuits and what not. Turns out he's a beast in that too.
I think you just broke your Do Not Discuss clause of the case.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
From GKirbs.

Regarding the CO tourney.

i have room for 4 people at 70$ each but i can only go if we get 4.

and i want the gas $ up front

Shylock

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1943-0839

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Posting to explain to Shylock so he's not confused: "XDDD" was a relatively skilled and active Meta Knight player a few years ago here in Utah, but moved away.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Posting to explain to Shylock so he's not confused: "XDDD" was a relatively skilled and active Meta Knight player a few years ago here in Utah, but moved away.
Lol.... I was wondering what he was talking about

Just saw the pm tier list.... Although it's not official I pretty much agree with it.
Glad to know my 2 mains are high tier :). (Zelda/Sheik and Mario)

Last edited:

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Lol.... I was wondering what he was talking about

Just saw the pm tier list.... Although it's not official I pretty much agree with it.
Glad to know my 2 mains are high tier :). (Zelda/Sheik and Mario)
that tier list made a lot of people upset, i feel like a lot of people disagree with it

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Someone posted a different tier list on the new Mexico fb group. I'll cross post it later

EDIT: The tier list is according to Stock Cancel Gaming. Here it is:

here is a Tier List I made since it seems to be all the rage these days. i feel any character in each section can be rearranged in said section. So I of course do think this is a good start. Atleast compared to CTs. Discussion on this one will probably be more productive. ‪#‎Irish‬Top

fox
falco

High

Wolf
Lucas
Ivy
pit
marth
metaknight
mario

Upper Mid

snake
sheik
Peach
diddy
link
ZSS
falcon

Mid

mewtwo
Roy
ike
Wario
lucario
TLink
ness
Zelda
sonic
charizard

Lower Mid

DK
Kirby
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
DDD
Samus
ROB
Bowser
Pikachu

Low Tier

Ganon
G&W
Yoshi
IceClimbers
Luigi
Olimar

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I find it amusing how the placement of Zelda and Sheik on this list is the opposite of their relative placement in Melee. LOL
I'm not going to take this list very seriously at this stage, since it's still early in development.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I want to mention that people are upset with that P:M tier list because they don't agree with it. It happens every time a tier list gets released for any game.

I remember when we had Olimar made 3rd best character in Brawl, there was massive amounts of backlash against it, but then people realised that it was right.

I personally disagree with a few placements like Zelda and Peach but I haven't really been playing the game long enough for a very solid opinion (yet!) on that.

I think Olimar has lots of potential in P:M despite everyone putting him basically last in every tier list.

Shylock

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1943-0839
Yyyyyyyyyeahhhhhhhhh I've decided to just ignore the tier lists because they're somewhat useless. They don't really tell you who the very best characters are, they just tell you which ones have the most known potential. Maybe it's because I play a character lower on the tier list, but I like to believe that just because I play a lower character doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to lose as long as I'm good enough.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Says the Roy main.

Also, next tourney can we get Apples vs Pumpkinz on stream? I promise to be screaming trash talk and puns the whole time.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yyyyyyyyyeahhhhhhhhh I've decided to just ignore the tier lists because they're somewhat useless. They don't really tell you who the very best characters are, they just tell you which ones have the most known potential. Maybe it's because I play a character lower on the tier list, but I like to believe that just because I play a lower character doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to lose as long as I'm good enough.
tier lists are great, they're usually an amazing source of information

while the latter of your post may be true, you do have to play significantly better than your opponent to win.

It's like playing Pichu vs Fox, or Ganon vs MK, if you end up against someone who is equal to you in skill or even slightly less skilled, you'll probably get trashed.

Shylock

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1943-0839
tier lists are great, they're usually an amazing source of information

while the latter of your post may be true, you do have to play significantly better than your opponent to win.

It's like playing Pichu vs Fox, or Ganon vs MK, if you end up against someone who is equal to you in skill or even slightly less skilled, you'll probably get trashed.
I can definitely agree it's going to be tougher for a lower tier to beat a higher tier in general, but as far as individual matchups go, doesn't a low tier sometimes have the advantage over a high tier?

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I can definitely agree it's going to be tougher for a lower tier to beat a higher tier in general, but as far as individual matchups go, doesn't a low tier sometimes have the advantage over a high tier?
Against Fox, Falco, or Meta Knight.............no

MVP

Smash Ace
i would advise everyone not to put much thought into "tier lists". in a game like PM where the characters are designed to be balanced, MU exists but tier lists do not. it then becomes a mental block for players whose ccharacters are considered "lower tier". know your MU's but don't take heed to speculation.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
But a huge part about making a tier list are how many good match ups a character has. And PM definitely has characters who have way more positive match ups then other characters coughfoxfalcocough

Last edited:

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Also @ MVP MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n37pEB8BJhM

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Any game with Match Ups has tier lists, they go hand in hand. Tier lists, while I love talking, discussing, theory crafting them, etc, should never be considered law or gospel or anything, theyre just a way of representing the maker's current OPINION on the viability of characters.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Any game with Match Ups has tier lists, they go hand in hand. Tier lists, while I love talking, discussing, theory crafting them, etc, should never be considered opinions, theyre just a way of representing the maker's current law or gospel or anything on the viability of characters.
You're right. They should be the law and gospel of smash brothers

Top Bottom