• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
As for it being the first smash event streamed by Utah it was good but we can improve on that.
We just need to have someone that knows the games that are on stream to commentate and someone also know the equipment just in case the streams craps out or change the tags on the screen.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Yeah, unfortunately the Blackmagic Intensity likes to short out every once in awhile when a controller plugs in. Glad it only happened... what, twice on the stream? For future events I'll make sure at least two other people are educated on it besides me, just requires some pre-event training.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
As for it being the first smash event streamed by Utah it was good but we can improve on that.
We just need to have someone that knows the games that are on stream to commentate and someone also know the equipment just in case the streams craps out or change the tags on the screen.
I'm mega pro at equipment troubleshooting stuff like that (being a sound guy and a filmmaker), so I can for sure help out if you guys want. I also have a lot of freelance graphic design experience so, if necessary, I can design a streaming template sorta like CT, etc.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Kay like two things since we are on this subject.
1. NO MORE ****ING DRINKS NEAR THE STREAMING TABLE. When I came over to commentate there was drinks every where. But what if someone was to say I dunno spill it all over the streaming equipment and it wasn't your drinks or it was. Tsu would come over there and stick a 10 inch pole up your ass *not figuratively speaking* but seriously just no. Tsu has already had this brought to his attention and now it being brought your attention.
/endrant

2. I commentated during the end and I want feed back I already know I'm ****ing garbage at commentating but I want to get better at it. So any constructive criticisms will help me.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
You guys ****ing suck at answering questions. I wanna know who you guys wanna hear commentate. I also officially add Sinz to my list.

Last edited:

MVP

Smash Ace
i bring the hype when i commentate, and when i'm with my brother its like HMW x1000

P.S. and i know what i'm talking about when it comes to melee and project m

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Yeah, you're just on a two year hiatus, I know how it goes :p Wish you were at this tourney though, so you could've represented against Idaho's DK

MVP

Smash Ace
Yeah, you're just on a two year hiatus, I know how it goes :p Wish you were at this tourney though, so you could've represented against Idaho's DK
Me too!! I really wanted to be there to represent and commentate

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Kenny, Mars for dubz, Sinz, Wang with the right people, Zz in brawl, Tuesday and Sinz for melee, basically sinz for everything.

Man I'm getting hype for the stream hahaha

Sinz you play dota 2 don't you? Who else plays dota2?

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
First... it looks like you guys had a blast and I really wish I was there. In fact, I was very depressed watching the stream and I couldn't keep watching for a couple reasons but mainly because I was very sad that I couldn't be there so I just ended up watching TNE.

Anyway I just wanted to give some quick feedback from the little that I watched so here's my 2cents as a stream viewer:
Well when I hopped in there was some brawl going on and even though i'm not much of a fan of brawl... honestly the matches were pretty sick. I was watching a red snake vs an ice climbers and it was a pretty tight match.
Now i could only guess who the players were because there were no names on stream. I guessed the IC was I See because it looked like it was his style of play and i don't know any other IC's mains and I had no idea who the snake was.
I also had no idea where we were in the bracket at the time.
Going back and watching the vods I was assuming I was watching melee GF but I really had no idea but I guess it was Ciz vs some peach player. Also commentating could have been better.

So ya... that was my experience as a viewer.
Not much to say just a lot that needs to be improved on the stream side. But if this tourney ran anything like the way Tsu usually runs tourneys then I'm sure it was a lot of fun for those who were there and I really wish I was one of those people :3

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I was that red snake, glad you enjoyed it. Depending on when you watched, it was either just us playing a couple friendlies while waiting for the next match or a semi-serious "what would have happened had Isee won his match and would have faced me next" set also while waiting for the next match. Figured it was better to have some decent friendlies on instead of no one playing while waiting.

As for the names, once it got to melee teams and I was commentating I switched it to having names in the corner. Dunno if people kept it updated though once I had to get off to play my matches. It is a good idea, but unless there's someone paying attention to update it each set it could cause some confusion. I guess it would also help to have players put their actual tags on as well while on stream.

And that peach marth match was ciz vs yaz grand finals of melee.

Also, support, I think you did fine commentating. I haven't gone back to listen, and maybe it's just cause I was sick of the previous commentators but I remember being glad you were commentating from the little I overheard as I was playing.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
So I'm going to use VGBC's "template" to help our setup...

So from what I understand, the way gimr does his thing is that he's the one that updates and makes it his job to sit there the whole tournament and keep the stream updated.
Clearly no one here is going to want to sit at a table the whole tourney and do the above.
I propose that we have a select group of 4 or 5 people who know how to handle this stuff and one person at a time are actually in charge of the stream. When they get tired, need to go to a match, need to go to the bathroom, need a break, etc... they switch off for however long.
Same thing with commentators... It would be nice to have a small group of main commentators that we know they will give an enjoyable commentary and these people commentate the important matches or whenever they want. Then we can have a larger group of people who can commentate on and off for funsies but these people cannot be bad commentators.

Also... commentators:
Don't read chat during matches. But in between matches do whatever the hell you want.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Dude but you lose out so much on the twitch chat. its such a massive part of being a streamer. you gotta respect the chat or they won't respect you

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Dude but you lose out so much on the twitch chat. its such a massive part of being a streamer. you gotta respect the chat or they won't respect you
Interact with chat in between matches not during. I guess for how small we are it's cool.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
not to beat a dead horse, but as someone who watched the stream on and off throughout the day, i have to agree with Superw0rri0 about some things. i had no idea what i was watching most of the times. it would be nice to have cameras on the players to know who's playing, but i realize that would require more equipment. it seems pretty essential, though, to state who is playing (and perhaps which character they are) and what match this is in the brackets.

and i feel like for much of the stream, i was just watching the commentator stare at the screen. dead air is a major no go in the broadcast world. i know it's a hard job to constantly fill the air time and that trying to do so will make you say silly or obvious things at some points, but that's kinda the name of the game. it's not easy, and people should realize that before offering to commentate. it requires commitment and skills that--frankly--not everyone has :-p.

also, when i did hear people talk, it wasn't usually about the match. there were a bunch of conversations with people off screen and just a general lack of focus on the match. i felt like i had to turn the audio off cause they didn't add anything to the matches and were generally just a bother to listen to.

i realize most of us are kinda new to all this, but i think these are things we should definitely be aware of moving forward. and also i did not watch the entire stream, so take my comments for what they are: quick observations on a limited sample of the stream. besides that, i enjoyed watching the matches. some of you guys are really good and i can only hope to compete at your level at some point in the future! and thanks for all those who helped make everything happen and even to all the commentators that didn't do a great job. it's not easy and i appreciate the effort!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So from what I understand, the way gimr does his thing is that he's the one that updates and makes it his job to sit there the whole tournament and keep the stream updated.
Clearly no one here is going to want to sit at a table the whole tourney and do the above.
I'll do it.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
K, next tournament more attention will be be paid to the commentating. Let's leave it at that now instead of letting it further detract from the overall greatness of this tournament. Thanks again Tsu, everyone appreciates the effort you put into making this happen.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Thanks all. I do have adjustments to the stream in the mind. I was supposed to have a player cam, but my friend didn't drop it off to me the night before -.-

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I volunteer to be a primary melee commentator. I have a lot of experience commentating (melee only), I know how to use the software and can change the names of the players on stream to make it easy and accessible (always put their names below the stock icons jeez), and I love doing it. I have years of experience doing this, as well as recording, streaming, and TOing. Like I said earlier, I tried to get on stream but was denied by the casters at the time lol.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
My quiet nature tends to get in the way when I try to commentate, thus causing me to not talk that much. I only commentated for a brief moment with Yaz at the tournament, and most of the time, we both would just watch the match. LOL Far from pro-level commentating there. When I was rewatching the stream archive yesterday, I was practicing commentating, actually talking a lot more, so that I can get used to being more active in commentating. XD I feel that Yaz and I would make a great duo if we can both be more active.

And stream chat interaction is fine, but if the chat is obviously trying to troll, just ignore those posts. And only do it when a tournament match isn't going on, since you should be commenting on the match when the match is happening, not having a side convo with someone else. The stream was lagging like half a minute behind at the tournament, though, so chat interaction wasn't very ideal, in either case. LOL

Also, there's something I need to mention regarding professionalism. When displaying or saying player's gamer alias on stream (especially the former), their full alias should be presented, and not any initialisms. I'm sure all of the stream watchers who didn't know me already thought my actual alias was "PC" until P:M Doubles Loser's Finals, because during the Melee Doubles set, I was just displayed as "PC" and called that by the commentators every time (and I didn't play on stream during Melee Singles). It's probably fine to shorten aliases during match commentary for longer names so that it'll flow better when trying to talk during quick play action, but when announcing who's playing at the beginning, no such shortening should be used.

EDIT: Tuesday was probably the person that offered the best Melee commentary, hands down, from what I saw. He still used my initials every time, though. <_<

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I will also make it a thing to at least do one money match at the end of the day against PM Singles winner. That was fun :)

Tuesday

Smash Ace
He still used my initials every time, though. <_<
I forgot what it stood for ;~;

Edit: JK but seriously at least I didn't call anyway by their real names. I always lose it when casters do that :/

And to be honest, I thought you actually went by PC. Since people rarely say Smoke2Joints I thought it was the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom