• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

FelixTrapper

Smash Rookie
Our smashfest was a success. many people showed up and was super fun! hope to see you all next time!

PM me bro, lets play some time
So admittedly the reason I'm here is I heard about Project M, downloaded it last night, and fell in love with Smash all over again. My friends and I are really interested in getting good at PM and entering the SaltFest tournament.

Do you guys here in Utah typically play PM, or just normal Brawl/Melee?

Also, I'm a student at the U of U. Anyone else? Is there some group there that plays on campus sometime?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Melee scene has been growing a lot, and I can imagine P:M growing here actually. We have some people up around U of U, and there's usually a smashfest about once a week in the SLC area. In regards to Salt Fest, if you haven't, pre-register now for your badge. Only $20 for the weekend, this month only! Tell your friends to do the same :)

Oh, and welcome!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It's Samson after plastic surgery, obviously. :p

On a serious note: I'm a full-on supporter of P:M (I would say the biggest supporter of it in the scene), and I attend the U of U as well.

MVP

Smash Ace
So admittedly the reason I'm here is I heard about Project M, downloaded it last night, and fell in love with Smash all over again. My friends and I are really interested in getting good at PM and entering the SaltFest tournament.

Do you guys here in Utah typically play PM, or just normal Brawl/Melee?

Also, I'm a student at the U of U. Anyone else? Is there some group there that plays on campus sometime?

we play Project M and Melee. but after the release of 3.0, i'm gunna pour all my focus into Project m

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I never said I was the biggest supporter in Utah, as there are bound to be more obsessive people out there that are unknown to our scene. It's just out of the people active in Utah's current scene, I've been the person that most actively tried to spread the news and get people to actually play it ever since 1.0 was released in 2011.
I'm glad more people are popping up that support it.

its easy you dont need to practice
LOL This is somewhat true for the most part if you are good with a Melee high/top-tier and just have the skill transfer over. The only thing you really have to do in this case is learn the new match-ups as well as be aware of the slight differences in things.

Pony

Smash Apprentice
Heya, I'm a fairly new Melee player from SoCal, I'm gonna be visiting a friend in Park City (I think?) from December 27th - January 3rd. is anyone planning any smashfests, or would anyone be interested in meeting up and playing some friendlies while I'm there? c:

I See

Smash Apprentice
How come all these new players are melee players? Where the brawl players at? Holla at ya boyyy

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im super bad at Melee so P:M is just even more foreign to me, hence why I'd need to practice it lol.

Besides, I have no ****ing idea how to play anyone in P:M.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So what where all the melee players during tournies hmm?????
People in Utah seem to not want to do anything unless it's already decided upon by someone else, so when tournaments get advertised as "Brawl only with maybe Melee if enough people are interested", which pretty much everything these days ends up being due to this catch-22, half of the Melee-only players don't want to take the risk of coming for nothing so they don't come. The Tooele guys that showed up a few months back came expecting something, then was disappointed and didn't come back. That's a shame, since there's actually more interest in Melee here now than back at that time, so it could use their support. Maybe Salt Fest will re-light their fire.

Also, Z'z: Since Bowser is a character you like, maybe you should start there, since he has a relatively easy learning curve (sometimes a bit too simplistic LOL).

Oh, and this OoS'er-coming-for-the-holidays business reminds me: C!Z is coming back during the 14th to 27th period (barely missing Pony, it would seem) and is wondering if there are anything Smash-related planned during that time. I don't remember when anything around that time is planned, exactly, so if someone happens to know, that'd be great.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
well i want you pc to run a melee tourney at my Kafe date
i trust you can pull numbers since u are unofficially utah's best TO

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Speaking of tournaments, I plan on running another tournament sometime in either January or February, so if you guys have any dates you cant make, let me know asap, Im going to try and get the place reserved next Tuesday. Im thinking probably either Jan. 25th, Feb. 1st, or Feb. 8th, but if you cant make any or another date near then works better, let me know. I plan on advertising this one around a lot at colleges and gaming stores, so we should get some good numbers at this one. Also, Im not even going to enter, Im going to dedicate myself 100% to running everything smoothly since I plan on getting a lot of newcomers to show up.

Also, there will definitely be Brawl, Melee, and P:M. No doubts. I'll also run a poll on the facebook event page for 2-3 more side tournaments which will be things like doubles for all 3 games, Smash 64, and maybe some other things. Im going to try and be ahead of the game on this one, so expect a tournament page up and running by Christmas.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yeah sure brawl pulls numbers here
let's see how many people show up for brawl tournaments when smash 4 is out (:

King Poe

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get tourney's big out here in Northern Utah because I don't think I can get myself to do another Provo trip, GOD! that was such drag, glad to meet you some of you guys at X's tourney though. But I think it would be convenient to those above SLC. Anyone think it would be a good idea?

I See

Smash Apprentice
But ya I've been to this chicks place. The reason that are texting buddies now is cause shes 17 and I wanna wait till shes 18 before I see her again. Too much sneaking around I guess.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
well i want you pc to run a melee tourney at my Kafe date
i trust you can pull numbers since u are unofficially utah's best TO
If you want me to run it, I can, but I don't have a laptop so I will probably have to borrow the one you use. Also, I can't really guarantee numbers (that's not really related to the ability to run a tournament smoothly), given how the current statue is. When is this Kafeneio tournament, again?

Speaking of tournaments, I plan on running another tournament sometime in either January or February, so if you guys have any dates you cant make, let me know asap, Im going to try and get the place reserved next Tuesday. Im thinking probably either Jan. 25th, Feb. 1st, or Feb. 8th, but if you cant make any or another date near then works better, let me know. I plan on advertising this one around a lot at colleges and gaming stores, so we should get some good numbers at this one. Also, Im not even going to enter, Im going to dedicate myself 100% to running everything smoothly since I plan on getting a lot of newcomers to show up.

Also, there will definitely be Brawl, Melee, and P:M. No doubts. I'll also run a poll on the facebook event page for 2-3 more side tournaments which will be things like doubles for all 3 games, Smash 64, and maybe some other things. Im going to try and be ahead of the game on this one, so expect a tournament page up and running by Christmas.
Sounds great! I, personally, don't have a problem with any of those dates at the moment. I'll plan on going to this one.

But ya I've been to this chicks place. The reason that are texting buddies now is cause shes 17 and I wanna wait till shes 18 before I see her again. Too much sneaking around I guess.
Did anyone ask for more information?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm trying to get tourney's big out here in Northern Utah because I don't think I can get myself to do another Provo trip, GOD! that was such drag, glad to meet you some of you guys at X's tourney though. But I think it would be convenient to those above SLC. Anyone think it would be a good idea?
North Utah where? Me and my brother live in layton

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Legal in Texas.

Klemintine

Smash Rookie
Northern Utah plz!! I could definitely get a group together for that.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Northern Utah plz!! I could definitely get a group together for that.
where were you guys for the Neumont tournament? that was perfect for the Northern UT people (except for parking), but yeah, i could get a group of 3 or 4 guys for an event in SLC/ogden/layton area

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
When they say North Utah, I'm pretty sure they're meaning Layton/Ogden area, not so much SLC. There's a monthly in SLC usually, and it's still a 30 minute drive for Layton peeps.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
to be clear, we're talking about Melee right?

brawl is wack as hell
Hey now, it's not a good idea to start anything with Brawl, since that's the common game around here.

Most of the new guys seem to play Melee, though. A couple P:M players it seems.

Whatever future events go down, I'll be there. Getting to Northern Utah might be difficult, but I hear Utah has trains or something. I'll be the guy with 3 gamecubes filled with shattered dreams playing melee alone in the not-so-friendly corner.

Top Bottom