• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Upthrow instead of Dthrow for Combos

Petroklos

Smash Cadet
As far as I know, you can pummel your grabbed enemy at least once even on 0%. Would that be considered optimisation (extra damage, easier to kill if you don't nail the UpB), or combo breaking by giving the enemy too much leeway? Or neither and just useless?

On the Darklink's video it's +1% and on KayJay's vid it would be +2%.

This could be game changing in the hands of a good player (read: not me). Taking a stock from the get go against quick/light/fastfalling character might shake up some of our worst matchups.

EDIT: While trying these out, I managed to kill Shiek (Lvl9 Bot) on Dreamland 3DS Training at 5% with Darklink's combo, paired with a single pummel. Could go lower, Shiek might be able to escape, can't really test or tell. Hope this helps somehow.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Yep yep, I drive home tomorrow and will test extensively.
I'm still pushing on the video, Izaw has some clips and may be delaying his art of vid as a result of my own video and what he's seen. I'm close, really close, need to wrap up loose ends. It's 25 minutes now, no joke.
The complete thread is incomplete, sadly, and has been for a while as I've been working on the video version, there are some combos that may surprise you guys. Actually I'm confident you will be surprised. ;)
But I didn't see this one, which is shameful.
Did you (or anyone) test the Up-throw combo on all characters? I know you do discuss it in your combo video but not the specific characters it works on.

-Fe-

Smash Rookie
So I'm assuming that uthrow > uair > upb can kill on platforms on stages like DH, battlefield, town and city, dream land, etc.

Is that a safe assumption?

samosa

Smash Cadet
So I'm assuming that uthrow > uair > upb can kill on platforms on stages like DH, battlefield, town and city, dream land, etc.

Is that a safe assumption?
Yes, it can kill when standing on the platforms. Or if you grab them under the top platform. upthrow> uair> land on top platform> uair>uair> up b can connect

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
So, I saw this thread way back when it was first made, took mental note of it, and waited.

Has anyone ever actually 0 - death'd anyone with this in a real match? Like is this actually useful or practical?

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
So, I saw this thread way back when it was first made, took mental note of it, and waited.

Has anyone ever actually 0 - death'd anyone with this in a real match? Like is this actually useful or practical?
Not a 0-Death but I've gotten a bunch of solid ~45% on BF/DL against the top tiers. Which is a nice start to a match/stock or a momentum shift.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I still have to try this. I saw KayJay use it. It seems odd, just because you're throwing your opponent in the air, so you'd think your opponent would be too high to use u-air. However, d-throw angles at 80 degrees, whereas u-throw angles at 90. Furthermore, both have 80 BKB, so it's not too different.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I still have to try this. I saw KayJay use it. It seems odd, just because you're throwing your opponent in the air, so you'd think your opponent would be too high to use u-air. However, d-throw angles at 80 degrees, whereas u-throw angles at 90. Furthermore, both have 80 BKB, so it's not too different.
It's awkward that it works, but hey, at least it works x3

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
It's a mix up. It doesn’t appear to work against medium weights as well. Fastfallers are suckers for it. I think it might be more on the size of the other character.

It's kind of like the jab lock into CS. It only works from jabbing off a platform, then timing the shot.

These are pretty situational, and are at best just more tools. Interesting point, even if they DI, you can read for the stock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom