• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Up B as a combo breaker

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
So it is no secret that Marth Up B has amazing frame data, with frame 1 invincibly in the air. This move can be used to get us out of a ton of different set ups and combos. I think it would be a good idea to creat a list of different combos/setups/situations where Marth can utilize Up B to to get out.

I have seen a lot of people using it to break rapid jabs, and I know that at low % you can use it to get out of Marios downthrow > uptilt combo. I'm curious what you guys have found as possible uses for this move.

Once we get a solid list going in the comments i will update the original post to include the list for ease of access.

The List so Far

Robin: if robin goes for the 3 hit jab combo you can break that with Up B (I am not sure about the rabid Jab)

Luigi: At low % if Luigi goes for the down throw strings, you can break anything after Dthrow > Fair.

Sheik: Low % Ftilt strings

Cloud: At low % Dthrow > (Move of clouds choice)

Marth: If marth does not perform the DB perfectly, you can fit your up B in between hits. Also, if he does the 4th hit down, you can just simply Up B out of it.

Mario: Low % Dthrow combos don't work on Marth. If mario chooses anything but shield after he does Dthrow, you can act with Up B first.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I saw Leo using it to escape Sheik's Ftilt. It was nuts.
:196:

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
At really early % im sure it works to avoid the Grab or Fair follow up. But at mid to high it would be really risky. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
Also I was playing a tourney last night and was able to break luigis low % downthrow follow ups. After down throw > Fair you can break the combo.

TheYellowBlaze

Smash Cadet
You can use it to get out of the downward variant of Dancing Blade and Double-Edged Dance (at least from my experience); however it is punishable unless you land on a platform. Dedede's Rapid jab also, if I remember correctly.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
You can use it to get out of the downward variant of Dancing Blade and Double-Edged Dance (at least from my experience); however it is punishable unless you land on a platform. Dedede's Rapid jab also, if I remember correctly.
Ok so a couple more things before i add this to the original post.
Do you know what parts of Dedede's rapid jab you can break? also, can you usually get a hit on Dedede, or are you pushed too far out?

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
I suppose that if we're talking about this, it's not only important to talk about which combos we can escape out of, but also if it's worthwhile to get out of it, like without platforms, since there are basically only two stages where it's safe to use upB, and it's in a very specific part of the stage. Think of risk vs reward. Like Robin's jab combo. Would it be worth it to get out of? Can Robin punish your free fall with a smash? Also, I've been watching whatever tournament MKLeo won, (I forgot the name) and I noticed him using upB to get out of combos. You may want to check that.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
So as far as risk/reward goes. if we get the hit on the opponent, then Up B is like 99.99% safe. Unless you are both in the air, then it is probably risky unless you have a platform to catch you.

So i totally agree with Fephoenix here, I think it is really worth wild to know just what we can hit and what we cant hit with the Up B, And whether it will be safe or not.

Example, i know that you can Up B out of fox's rapid jab, but 9/10 times you are too high up for the Up B to actually connect with fox's hurtbox. In that scenario i think it it would be better to just take the hit. whiffing an Up B can cost you a lot of damage or the stock .

With Robin specifically, i know that you are almost guaranteed the hit if Robin is trying to hit with the 3 hit jab combo. However, if he/she goes for the rapid jab, its very likely that you will be placed too high up during the rapid jab, and you will not connect the hit on your Up B.

Last edited:

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
We should probably test this on the second op tiers. Like Bayo. Anyone want to test it later with me?

Top Bottom