• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Kirby's Down B Offensively

TheSandbag

Smash Rookie
So, among his other beefs, I've noticed that Kirby's down b has been changed pretty dramatically. On the ground, it appears to have a semi-spike hitbox at some points of it, which I've been using to set up combos by turning to stone and then immediately turning back, which has the effect of pushing the opponent back a fair distance. Has anyone else figured out some new ways to use the down B?

Also, as a side note, I've been using it during recovery sometimes to try and be less predictable. It also has the added bonus of more or less freezing your vertical (but not horizontal) movement for a few frames after transforming out of the stone, which can be used as a last-ditch effort to try and recover if you're high up and out of jumps.

BlackSheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChibiBlackSheep
3DS FC
4081-5611-8604
He gets out of it really quickly, so I like to use it in the middle of combos as well. If you are drilling down and it "spikes" the person too fast, you can down+b chase them, hit them, then cancel it and float into more combos.

I use the Down+B and Horizontal cutter to chase during my combos now.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this: on the ground, when you come out of Rock, you can hold a direction and move a very slight distance in that direction. Given the quick escape from Rock, if you can also do this in the air you could (after being hit off the right hand side of the stage): downb -> stop downb asap -> hold left to move a little -> downb.... and repeat the process. Though this is not as nice given Kirby now takes damage while in rock form :(

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
If you get hit high and are trying to run the clock out, I think you can use it to stall by repeatedly down-b + cancelling.

It ain't fun, and it ain't pretty - but shaving those extra 30s off might win you a game.

TwistedLogic

Smash Rookie
It seems that the air animation for getting out of rock is a bit faster than that on the ground. I've used it to super armor through an opponent, popping them up, and then following into up air. It's a bit more effective in turbo mode because you can skip getting out of the rock.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I know this thread is like super old, and people have probably figured out how to use the rock better, but I realized that rock can be used similar to Falcon's on stage D-air. It pops them up, and if they dont di correctly, you can follow up with up-air, hammer, whatever you want.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
What Gohan said. It is a very legitimate way to set up a kill on some characters.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I use it offensively when it looks like I'm going to get juggled or something, and can't Nair safely.
Just as often I'll release it early, when my opponent dodges and chase with Bair, and Side Cutter.

I know this thread is like super old, and people have probably figured out how to use the rock better, but I realized that rock can be used similar to Falcon's on stage D-air. It pops them up, and if they dont di correctly, you can follow up with up-air, hammer, whatever you want.
I've done this once or twice. It's really nice against Bowser, and such heavy characters. Though I recommend Nair into aerial combos. But that's my preference

Last edited:

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I think rock is one of Kirby's best moves.

Great recovery tool, edgeguarding tool, anti-combo tool, can increase survivability dramatically and even has follow-ups.

5-star special attack.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
This move is so awesome, I tend to use it too much. Really great for getting down against troublesome jugglers like Marth.

steelguttey

mei is bei
Yea this move basically gives you a free get out of juggle free card and the buffs they gave it gave Kirby some really cool recovery options that stop his recovery from being predictable.

Top Bottom