• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using bombs to recover

xIcelinkx

Smash Cadet
I've already checked the guides on smashboards, tried google, youtube, etc. But I can't find any detailed information on using the bomb to recover.

What I'm looking for is the trick where you throw a bomb up, up-b into it so it explodes, and you can up-b again.

I just practiced doing this and I could VERY inconsistently do it. I don't really understand the positioning to do this more accurately.

Skler

Smash Master
Be falling at either your top non-fastfall speed or your fastfall speed while moving forwards, throw the bomb up and upB back into it (you should have to hold backwards to reach it).

Your spin attack must be at full power for the upB to make the bomb explode. This is something almost nobody notices, but it's true. Most people can bomb jump correctly (it's easy), but they think they're doing it wrong because you need the upB to be at full power for it to work.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler said:
Your spin attack must be at full power for the upB to make the bomb explode. This is something almost nobody notices, but it's true. Most people can bomb jump correctly (it's easy), but they think they're doing it wrong because you need the upB to be at full power for it to work.
Is this true? I was pretty certain what made the bomb jump work was for you to tap it with an attack (the back part of the Up+B in this case), and then hit the back of your head with it, isn't that why you have to do it in the arrow motion? If you slow it down and look at it in training mode you can actually see what happens, but I don't have a copy of melee or a cube AV cord with me, or I would check.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
what skler means is that the up-b has to be fresh
so like you can't just practice it over and over... well you can, you'll just have to die in between successes....

Skler

Smash Master
You can bomb jump infinitely in the same stock as long as you never hit a player with the upB. It only gets weaker if it hits a player.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wait, really? I thought move decay occurs even if the hitbox doesn't collide with a hurtbox. but you can do other attacks to get it fresh again.

xIcelinkx

Smash Cadet
Skler said:
It only gets weaker if it hits a player.
That explains why I couldn't do it in an actual match lol.

But like Strong_Bad said, couldn't you just use other attacks and get the up-b fresh?

Skler

Smash Master
Yes, but it takes so many other attacks that you rarely get it to full strength again. Link isn't one to land enough hits to get the upB fresh again. It takes what, 10 hits to get it fresh? That's a lot for a character like Link, especially because if you it them 10 times you're just waiting to land another spin.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
umm if you up-b 10 times it will take 10 other moves to get it fresh again...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You should be fine as long as you don't hit the bomb with the last 1/4 of the up-b's duration.

HiIH was right in saying that your goal should be to hit the bomb with the back of Link's head, as it has the best chance of causing the bomb to explode. At this point you should also attempt to SDI the explosion up and towards the stage (if necessary) for maximum distance.

Skler

Smash Master
umm if you up-b 10 times it will take 10 other moves to get it fresh again...
I never said anything about upBing somebody 10 times. I said after 10 hits they're usually at a % where you're just looking for an upB. The bomb jump isn't seen much because the upB is a good attack.

No matter where you hit the bomb, as long as you hit it with the last hit of an aerial spin attack that's at full strength you will make it explode.

Skler

Smash Master
Actually yes, you can. It's the same as the normal bomb jump, but you're trying to get the bomb to hit you in the front (the side towards the stage). You'll keep facing the stage and you can tumble cancel (wiggle the control stick back and forth quickly) and then hookshot. The problem with this is the bomb jump won't send you towards the stage if you do this, just up.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler said:
Actually yes, you can. It's the same as the normal bomb jump, but you're trying to get the bomb to hit you in the front (the side towards the stage). You'll keep facing the stage and you can tumble cancel (wiggle the control stick back and forth quickly) and then hookshot. The problem with this is the bomb jump won't send you towards the stage if you do this, just up.
Do you have a vid of this? I've never seen it, and was pretty sure it was impossible, since the last hit in front was impossible to hit. If it's not I'm gonna perfect this ****. I know it's GENERALLY impossible because you're turned around by the bomb jump though, not because you're in tumble animation. Also, as long as you smash DI the bomb hit, it should still send you the right way though, right?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Smash DI sends you in an absolute direction, but yeah, if you can get it to hit you in the front, you should be able to hook shot. You face whichever direction you get hit from, which is kinda annoying.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
In a practical sense this is hardly ever necessary lol. In most cases, if you have enough time (and you're high enough) to throw the bomb, up-b into it, SDI the explosion, wiggle out of your tumble, then air dodge (if needed) and hook shoot, you could have just done a regular hookshot or made it back with your up-b from the explosion.

HiIH

Smash Lord
In a practical sense this is hardly ever necessary lol. In most cases, if you have enough time (and you're high enough) to throw the bomb, up-b into it, SDI the explosion, wiggle out of your tumble, then air dodge (if needed) and hook shoot, you could have just done a regular hookshot or made it back with your up-b from the explosion.
Bomb jump to bottom of FD/FOD? Anyway, if you play Link, you should be used to wiggling out of tumbles to hookshot.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Actually a single nudge will get you out of tumble animation, spinning just makes it so that you'll get that nudge as soon as you're able.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
When I was starting out I realized that Link gets stuck in the tumbling animation a bunch.
Atleast that's how I always felt.
I'm practicing the bomb jump at the moment.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
how do you guys practice the bomb jump? ive heard a couple of ways to do it. anyone got a way that works really well?

Spife

Smash Master
I just pull a bomb on fd, throw it, then jump into it.
Or you can do what GERM did and juggle your self (at around 300% iirc) the under side of temple.

xIcelinkx

Smash Cadet
I just pull a bomb on fd, throw it, then jump into it.
Or you can do what GERM did and juggle your self (at around 300% iirc) the under side of temple.
How does that work? Doesn't the up-b need to be fresh for it to trigger the explosion?

Top Bottom