• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using a controller splitter to get data from controllers

TRb

Smash Cadet
I purchased a few controller extenders then cut them to make it so there is one female and two males. I now want to plug one into the Wii/GC and the other into the computer (to get data about what you have been pressing). Its really just a hobby project

But doing this creates feedback with the GC Adapter. Does anyone know why? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

TRb

Smash Cadet
I doubt it. Its kind of equivalent to the difference between the old controllers and the "new" ones with the longer cable

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet
You could just get a wavebird and two wavebird adapters then just tune them to the same channel and plug into separate gamecubes/wiis

TRb

Smash Cadet
Ahh the end result is trying to be something that hooks into the computer -- and is unnoticeable. Unfortunately the wavebirds are pretty noticeably crappy :(

DRGN

Technowizard
Why not just connect two male ends in parallel to the controller cord? In other words, just cut off the original male connector from the controller, then get another male end, and splice all 3 cables together, connecting blue wires to blue wires, white wires to white wires, etc. Or better yet, find a female end (like from an extension cable) and use that instead of cutting off the controller's male end, so your splitter is detachable.

TRb

Smash Cadet
I did exactly that! I used two controller extenders and then did that yet I get a lot of interference when I plug on into the USB and the other into the GC. Both into the GC works though....

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube controller data is NOT one continuous stream, rather a few times per frame the gc sends out a little signal (think of it as a "hello, you there?") and the controller responds by sending it its button data value.

Now theoretically, it could be possible to get that setup to work if your usb adapter and the gc would be in perfect sync (and stayed in sync), but in reality that´s not going to be possible. If you are really, REALLY ambitious you can look up how the gamecube communicates and program a micro controller to just listen to the communication of those 2 and send the data to a computer as a generic usb device.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Gamecube controller data is NOT one continuous stream, rather a few times per frame the gc sends out a little signal (think of it as a "hello, you there?") and the controller responds by sending it its button data value.

Now theoretically, it could be possible to get that setup to work if your usb adapter and the gc would be in perfect sync (and stayed in sync), but in reality that´s not going to be possible. If you are really, REALLY ambitious you can look up how the gamecube communicates and program a micro controller to just listen to the communication of those 2 and send the data to a computer as a generic usb device.
If I recall someone has actually done something like this, making a device that would go between the controller and the cube, recording any inputs and being able to play them back. If I find the video I'll post it.

TRb

Smash Cadet
I believe I just found it. Are you thinking of NintendoSpy?

DRGN

Technowizard

This was at the back of my mind when I wrote that, but it's just what I would have first thought to try anyway.

I wonder how much work it would really be to mod the gc adapter with a phase lock loop to keep it synced with the gamecube.

I believe I just found it. Are you thinking of NintendoSpy?
Oh sh**. This thread just got real. lol

Seriously, this would be awesome for streams!

Example 1, and example custom skins.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I helped Moltov on his stream (He's an OoT speedrunner and a Melee player in FL) to develop an Arduino tool using the Circle Pad Pro to send input to the GC port (and subsequently power itself.)

Some useful links if you go the microcontroller route:
https://code.google.com/p/cube64-dx/source/browse/#svn/hardware uses an older PIC, AFAIK.
https://github.com/Moltov/Wii_To_GCSNES uses an Arduino, running wires for the GC through the breadboard and emulating the GC commands.
Then there's the ever useful http://www.int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamecube/gc-control.html and http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap9.html#sec9.2

TRb

Smash Cadet
Heres what I've got. Next up is integrating it with the stream and getting two from one Arduino.

TRb

Smash Cadet
Our lab has an Arduino and I borrowed it for a night. It works!

TRb

Smash Cadet
I had to use two arduinos, so if I had four then I'm sure it could work. But thats more than my college budget allows :(

Top Bottom