• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses of Up B - Escaping multi hit moves, defensive/offensive options and edgeguard

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice

Hey! Caste here.

Once again, I hope you find this helpful. I'd be in the lab if you need me!

I have to say sorry for the quality of some clips, I have an Avermedia Live Game Portable, and it's horrible, it won't let me stream and the clips will be glitching up everytime. Probably I bought the only one that works like s**t.

About the video,

I didn't show Falcon because I used him as an example at the begining and then I forgot to record his jab. Just Smash DI up and mash Up B, it's one of the easiest to punish.
I feel like I don't like this video as much as the Nair one, maybe because that one was something creative, and this is just Dr. Mario 101.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Nice music choice. Catchy as heck to listen to!

That said, I love the video, too. I knew everything you covered, but it's still very well done and covers quite a few things that aren't well known. Great work!

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
Nice music choice. Catchy as heck to listen to!

That said, I love the video, too. I knew everything you covered, but it's still very well done and covers quite a few things that aren't well known. Great work!
Thank you!

That's the main point of the videos I'm making, I want people to know Doc better, he's so unexplored and everytime I play offline I get those "THAT KILLS?" or "THAT'S GUARANTEED?"

I'm glad you liked it!
Just in case you didn't know the songs:
Promise / Godot / Plum Pop by TQ-Jam

Last edited:

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
I did not know you could up b out of PK Fire multiple times. That just blew my mind... Do you SDI to the left for that or up?

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
I did not know you could up b out of PK Fire multiple times. That just blew my mind... Do you SDI to the left for that or up?
It depends on Ness' position. If the fire is between Doc and Ness, mashing Up B will only hit him once or twice being lucky, but if Ness gets inside the fire you will hit him three times. I didn't SDI at all, you don't have time to do it if you want to get the 3 Up B thing, but if you wanna SDI do it to the left.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I think jab1, jab2 to up-b should have been demonstrated on a floaty (e.g. someone with Mewtwo's fall speed or lower). That's the selling point of the setup. We have other ways to rack up damage and kill fastfallers.

Nevertheless, good stuff. Should have realized that jabs extend the hurtbox of the character.

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
I think jab1, jab2 to up-b should have been demonstrated on a floaty (e.g. someone with Mewtwo's fall speed or lower). That's the selling point of the setup. We have other ways to rack up damage and kill fastfallers.

Nevertheless, good stuff. Should have realized that jabs extend the hurtbox of the character.
Agreed!
The problem is that I had to finish this video as quickly as possible because I used my friend's WiiU. I use some clips I already had recorded to show some stuff like the jab jab up b and the match against Ike.

But thank you!

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
God, I love Doc. His Up B is so janky, but its janky IN OUR FAVOR.

I've made so many of my friends salty when I escape their jab locks with Up B lol. "WHAT?? SO YOU JUST GONNA UPPERCUT OUT OF MY JABS? LOL OKAY"

So satisfying.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
It depends on Ness' position. If the fire is between Doc and Ness, mashing Up B will only hit him once or twice being lucky, but if Ness gets inside the fire you will hit him three times. I didn't SDI at all, you don't have time to do it if you want to get the 3 Up B thing, but if you wanna SDI do it to the left.
Thanks. It looks so ridiculously weird. I'll definitely have to try it out next time I play a Ness.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I'm glad other people are bringing this to light, I started abusing upB to get out o jabs and tack on 25+ damage at the same time a while back. Glorious!

UniversalDrift

Smash Rookie
NNID
UniversalDrift
3DS FC
5258-0348-6834

Hey! Caste here.

Once again, I hope you find this helpful. I'd be in the lab if you need me!

I have to say sorry for the quality of some clips, I have an Avermedia Live Game Portable, and it's horrible, it won't let me stream and the clips will be glitching up everytime. Probably I bought the only one that works like s**t.

About the video,

I didn't show Falcon because I used him as an example at the begining and then I forgot to record his jab. Just Smash DI up and mash Up B, it's one of the easiest to punish.
I feel like I don't like this video as much as the Nair one, maybe because that one was something creative, and this is just Dr. Mario 101.
Thank you so much for making this thread and the video's! I was trying to find ways to get out of combo's and this video really helped me out. I now use the uair to up b a lot and find my self doing up b's more than I ever did before.(Before I never did it unless it was off stage to do a stages spike, in which doc has the best stage spike in the game)

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Nice video, I had always known about Uair to upB as a string off of dthrow, but it never occurred to me for whatever reason to try it after a ground Uair.

DJSKRELP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NotApplicable
3DS FC
3024-8713-4194
I knew about the Ness' pk fire thing before I watched it. I was able to escape and up b a Ness in pools at my last tournament. It was pretty funny.

Top Bottom