• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for multi-shines?

Sam'sAwakening

Smash Cadet
Are multi shines only good for sheild pressure? Or are there other uses? Idc if it is situational or not, I'd just like to know. Thanks in advance :)

Hiku

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NEO#754
NNID
FreakyFlygon
I use multishining mostly for shield pressure. It's a really useful tactic to keep up your sleeve just in case you need it during a match. I have even broken some shields with the multishine before, so you know it has to be pretty useful.

j a y c e

Smash Rookie
I use multishining mostly for shield pressure. It's a really useful tactic to keep up your sleeve just in case you need it during a match. I have even broken some shields with the multishine before, so you know it has to be pretty useful.
it's actually awful, if your opponent has a half working brain they can literally just roll

adz

Smash Cadet
it's actually awful, if your opponent has a half working brain they can literally just roll
go into 20xx, set a cpu to roll out of shield, and double shine. if you time it perfectly, the double shine should catch the roll, and if your opponent holds shield, that's where the double shine grab comes in. multishines, if executed perfectly, are optimal, 20xx shield pressure. even if you screw up the double shine, there's always conditioning the opponent to roll and reading it afterwards.

vynleren

Smash Cadet
Double shine as shield pressure is a little overrated. It can be useful as a mixup, but don't overuse it.

In the Fox ditto, running double shine / aerial into doubleshine near the ledge can be super useful to get your opponent off stage and into an edgeguard scenario. Even upthrow -> double shine on no DI near the ledge works as well.

j a y c e

Smash Rookie
go into 20xx, set a cpu to roll out of shield, and double shine. if you time it perfectly, the double shine should catch the roll, and if your opponent holds shield, that's where the double shine grab comes in. multishines, if executed perfectly, are optimal, 20xx shield pressure. even if you screw up the double shine, there's always conditioning the opponent to roll and reading it afterwards.
That's unstaled doubleshine. Try staling your shine then try that again.

Dott

Smash Ace
Instead of multishining i'd practice things that cover options like shine-grab or shine-upsmash, multishining can be usless something and even can end up being just an stylish thing.

Mastering the shine is good, but i think that conecting two shines in a row to any character will do the job

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Multi shining is useful for intimidation and limited shield pressure, jump-canceling a shine into an aerial (such as dair) is much more effective.

Burnaby

Smash Rookie
Everyone saying multi shining is useless is wrong. The optimal use of multishining looks something like this:

Battle field at the very edge of the stage.
falco is facing off stage, and shielding.
you hit a shine on the back of falco's shield
There you can multishine him until:
-he gets hit by a shine from trying to move or shield poke and sent off stage for an easy (falco below the stage = dead) edge guard
-shield breaks???!!!!??
-you **** it up... - in which case git gud

not to mention multishining in the pit / against the tree

EDIT:
bonus:if they hit a tech on one of your shines, and you keep multishining, they will only be able to tech in range of your multishine

Last edited:

KN^

Smash Rookie
I was wondering recently if you can use multishines as the most optimal shield pressure? Because it's actually pretty easy to get 2-3 shines that are frame perfect and catch rolls (you can try in 20XX), once you get the initial nair->shine opener (As they reaction shielded your approaching nair) you can just spam multishine till their shield breaks or they roll and get caught?

Which would put you in a tech chase scenario, but you'd have to react pretty quickly that you got the hit or else you might drop the tech chase still mulitishining.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
Why the **** is this even a topic. Doubleshine is good end of story, only if you do it fast enough. These smash beginners tell you it’s useless because they don’t know how to use it in a optimal way. Yes doubleshine is hard because at the end of the second shine , most people would full hop which would restart neutral if you short hop it correctly you can restart pressure. Just get this garbage double shine is bad out of your head, you’ve been just using it in neutral wrong.

Top Bottom