• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use High Polygon Models for Shadows and when Offscreen

Yakult

Smash Cadet
I found a way to make characters use their high polygon models for the off-screen magnifying bubble, shadows and the fod reflection by modifying the character data files. As it's the character data files that are edited, it'll work for all costumes, even custom skins.

I havent tested it on console but I wouldnt particularly recommend using it anyway as im sure hal used the low polygon models for a reason. on Dolphin however it works absolutely fine.

Download all the PlXx.dat/.sat/.pat files from the link bellow and replace the files you want from your iso or rebuild using DTW.

I'll also put the link for a low polygon version of the files which makes all of the on-screen models use the low polygon models for a kinda retro n64 feel (last picture). I also havent tested this on console but I'm sure itll work fine.

Download - High Polygon Off-Screen
Download - Low Polygon On-Screen

--edit--
low poly models can be achieved using @UnclePunch's code instead of replacing every character file:
Code:
$Low-Poly v2 [UnclePunch,Yakult]
C20748DC 0000000E
3A26FA14 89D10007
2C0E0009 41820010
2C0E0017 4182001C
48000014 89D10619
2C0E0001 40820008
48000008 38800000
7C8F2378 7DDF782E
39EF0004 7E1F782E
7C0E8000 41820024
7C8F2378 7DDF782E
39EF000C 7DDF792E
39EFFFF8 7DDF782E
39EFFFFC 7DDF792E
7C1F202E 00000000

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
these low poly models are giving me so much entertainment, thank you lol! I wonder if they increase overall performance of the game.

Last edited:

Yakult

Smash Cadet
yeah i wonder about that too! i havent had time to test it unfortunately. its also possible to 00000000 out the pointer for the off-screen/shadow model so the game would use the low poly models onscreen and not use any model off-screen or for shadows. i imagine that could help the game run better on low end computers or phone emulation and would be good for a low end melee build

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
This is so cool. Is it possible to have these low poly models as extra skins?

Also, do you know if I can add this to the last 20XX version without causing the game to freeze?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641

Also, do you know if I can add this to the last 20XX version without causing the game to freeze?
I replaced all the pal files with the low poly files so I can just toggle them with d-pad right, haven't given me issuses. Running on 20XX 4.06.

Yakult

Smash Cadet

should work for all versions of 20xx so far

like oscat said replacing the 20xx .pat files will work, but the .pat files included in the download are for the pal character files, so if you want the ntsc ones you should rename all the .dat files to be .pat, then replace them :)

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
the lo-poly models work perfectly with custom skins, just thought id mention that if anyone happens across this thread and is wondering. using unclepunch's code at least

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Maybe i did them wrong, but i'm finding certain variants dont use a lo poly model. Pika or Pichu with hats on arent lo poly for me, nor is Nana.

DRGN

Technowizard
Maybe i did them wrong, but i'm finding certain variants dont use a lo poly model. Pika or Pichu with hats on arent lo poly for me, nor is Nana.
There are two different methods available here: a download of modified files, and a Gecko code. Which one did you use? Perhaps you could try the other.

Yakult

Smash Cadet
Yeah UP's gecko code is a bit more thorough than the character files and works for every costume

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
oh, i used a file replacement thing i think(?)

but i'm not sure if i can use a gecko code at this point, i've already made so many edits and changes to my melee mod.

Thanks for the help though, even though its probably gonna seem weird, i'l keep my strange mostly lo poly and one or two hi poly characters. it'll make the juxtaposition that much better hahaha! At the moment i've only noticed it with Pichu colors (who isnt a complex character by any means) and nana. I can't remember any others this happened to right now

Aexotic

Smash Rookie
i used the code on dolphin 5.0 and when i got in training i crashed, help!

Aexotic

Smash Rookie
i noticed that i wasn't using the correct smash melee version. so i had to replace the files.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to import JUST the high poly character models? I made a bunch of awesome character changes to the low poly one via the replacement method, and now i want to go back to high poly...is there any way to do this...?

Yakult

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to import JUST the high poly character models? I made a bunch of awesome character changes to the low poly one via the replacement method, and now i want to go back to high poly...is there any way to do this...?

Sure. The low poly files provided actually have very little changed. If you want to make your low poly files have the default high poly on screen, low poly off screen, then you probably just need to do the following:

open the the default file you want to revert to, eg the default PlCa.dat
get the pointer at 0x04, eg 00007A20
go to this pointer and copy the 4 words from this pointer, eg 000079B0 000079E4 000079FC 00007A18
open the low poly file you have edited but want to revert to default models, eg your edited PlCa.dat
go to the pointer at 0x04 (i think that this will be the same address as in the default file, eg 00007A20)
paste the 4 words you copied overwriting the 4 words in the same location in the low poly file that you have edited

remember to add 0x20 to pointer addresses
if you so happen to be editing peach then do 8 words instead of 4.

I believe that should work. let me know if it doesnt

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Sure. The low poly files provided actually have very little changed. If you want to make your low poly files have the default high poly on screen, low poly off screen, then you probably just need to do the following:

open the the default file you want to revert to, eg the default PlCa.dat
get the pointer at 0x04, eg 00007A20
go to this pointer and copy the 4 words from this pointer, eg 000079B0 000079E4 000079FC 00007A18
open the low poly file you have edited but want to revert to default models, eg your edited PlCa.dat
go to the pointer at 0x04 (i think that this will be the same address as in the default file, eg 00007A20)
paste the 4 words you copied overwriting the 4 words in the same location in the low poly file that you have edited

remember to add 0x20 to pointer addresses
if you so happen to be editing peach then do 8 words instead of 4.

I believe that should work. let me know if it doesnt
thank you SO much for putting in the time to give me a solution- but i decided to start over. Thanks anyways man you rock :D

Dortimus51

Smash Rookie
When I import the High Poly .dat files changed the Falco Laser color to blue. Is there a version w/o the Laser color change?

Last edited:

AngryGeri

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a download link without needing a Google Drive permission? For the High Polygon Off-Screen.

Edit: Got permission on Drive

Last edited:
Top Bottom