• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB GC vs OG GC Controllers

Staub

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

I’m starting to get pretty serious with competitive smash (doesn’t mean I’m good, just putting in time lol) but I currently use PowerA USB wired controllers. I was wondering if there is any advantage to using an old GC controller that isn’t a USB? I’m a little concerned the sticks won’t be as accurate and controls overall will be slow from age? This might seem dumb but some input would be dope

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I’m a little concerned the sticks won’t be as accurate and controls overall will be slow from age?
That's determined entirely by the quality of the pots and springs used in the controller, not the physical connection interface. I had one third party controller with a GC connection that was so **** I couldn't attack with the C-stick. My USB controller is much more usable, but still not great.

Prison

Smash Cadet
The main difference for me, aside from double z-buttons, is the weight.

I like the total weight of the OGCCs over the PowerAs. The controller feels more substantial and less plasticy/cheap. Additionally, the OGCC connectors will always be open at tourneys, between headphones, rumble etc it could be hard to get a free usb slot.

My final point was that when I took apart my PowerA, the frame is screwed into the shell, which adds an extra step for repairs or customization. I'd use the PowerA, but keep your eyes open for a deal on an OGCC.

Additionally, be careful what adapter you get for the OGCCs, the knock off ones have been known to mutilate your controler's connectors.

Staub

Smash Cadet
The main difference for me, aside from double z-buttons, is the weight.

I like the total weight of the OGCCs over the PowerAs. The controller feels more substantial and less plasticy/cheap. Additionally, the OGCC connectors will always be open at tourneys, between headphones, rumble etc it could be hard to get a free usb slot.

My final point was that when I took apart my PowerA, the frame is screwed into the shell, which adds an extra step for repairs or customization. I'd use the PowerA, but keep your eyes open for a deal on an OGCC.

Additionally, be careful what adapter you get for the OGCCs, the knock off ones have been known to mutilate your controler's connectors.
WOW incredibly helpful tip in that last line my friend. I had no idea. I will ahve to be on the look out for some GC's on ebay. I need a good one bad. I will probably mod it myself, getting a custom shell, buttons, etc

Thanks!

Prison

Smash Cadet
WOW incredibly helpful tip in that last line my friend. I had no idea. I will ahve to be on the look out for some GC's on ebay. I need a good one bad. I will probably mod it myself, getting a custom shell, buttons, etc

Thanks!
Yeah modifying button sets is super simple, there are some more complex things like sheafing/paracording the wire, but that can all be learned. If you think you want to do more advanced mods, invest in a soldering iron/desolder tool.

Top Bottom