• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Us Europeans are getting the short end of the stick!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
While you Americans and Asians(no offense) are playing Brawl,we in Europe will have to sit here waiting and hearing through the world wide web,how amazing Brawl is and how unlucky the guys across the water are.I hate the ridiculous amount of extra time it takes to translate games into other languages.Couldn't they just do it during developing.I mean there isin't even a European release date yet.I know im not the only one who will be ordering Brawl and an NTSC Wii when it comes out but......we shouldn't have to.

Anyone else feel the same way on this ridiculous time delay between release dates.(I know im kinda ranting but I need to get it off my chest)

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
i pitty the entire continent that you live on to extremely high levels

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not the translation that really takes time. There isn't an enormous of text in Brawl as if it's a story-driven RPG. Making a conversion to the PAL platform that doesn't suck is what really takes time. They also use this time to fix some glitches and balance issues, something that would not be fiscally sound with regions where the has already been released (they'd have to release it under a different name). As an example, the final 1.2 NTSC version of Melee was released well after the single PAL version, but the character fixes that were used in PAL were not applied to NTSC.

You could just import if you're that impatient, but chances are you won't be getting quite the same game that will be on your store shelf.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
So basically it would mean we're screwed anyway, because we can't go worldwide online because of the fixes?

I really doubt it that when Sakurai puts online in there would be fixes made for the PAL version.

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
If Brawl has something similar to the trophies in Melee, then there could be a large amount of translation required. I think any glitch/balance fixes would need to be done as online patches if the game is going to include online battling, since you can't have one person using a glitch exploit that was removed from the game of the other person.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Despite how much I don't care about Europe, staggered release dates are a dubious yet unavoidable tactic. It takes so long to translate things that they need to release the game somewhere so they can start selling it. Also, staggered releases have the chance of increasing hype in the annoyed areas because of the "I want it" factor.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Yeah, it is lame, and while i'm looking forward to Brawl immensely, i'm just gonna use up my gaming time with the other awesome games that are released.

We don't even know a PAL release date yet, anyways. It might only be in January, you never know.

soaz

Smash Ace
the thing that i am really afraid of isnt waiting another month or 2.The thing is that i will be on the internet and some idiot might wright who all the characters are.That will mess up the whole game for me.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
the thing that i am really afraid of isnt waiting another month or 2.The thing is that i will be on the internet and some idiot might wright who all the characters are.That will mess up the whole game for me.
Zelda twilight Princess anyone!?

Just stay out from Smash related sites and you're done.

While you Americans and Asians(no offense) are playing Brawl,we in Europe will have to sit here waiting and hearing through the world wide web,how amazing Brawl is and how unlucky the guys across the water are.I hate the ridiculous amount of extra time it takes to translate games into other languages.Couldn't they just do it during developing.I mean there isin't even a European release date yet.I know im not the only one who will be ordering Brawl and an NTSC Wii when it comes out but......we shouldn't have to.

Anyone else feel the same way on this ridiculous time delay between release dates.(I know im kinda ranting but I need to get it off my chest)
*cough**cough* Mario Strikers European Release Date: May , US: July *cough* *cough*

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Move to America, where the roads are paved with video games, hot pockets have high nutritional value, and all your other dreams come true.

D

Deleted member

Dunno. I would have believed that pre-9/11, but now...not so sure.

Meh, I might import, but its usualy hideously expensive (I hate gamestop for charging me so much for my US Ruby version), and out of date compared to the PAL version.

I would only get really ****ed if they did a 'World Tournament' a month after launch. Talking of which, any tourny-worthy advanced moves I discover will be copyrighted by me. WindDashing ftw.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sakurai himself said that as soon as the game hits Japan, everyone's going to know and that he'd rather reveal stuff himself. So you want to avoid spoilers, avoid the brawl rooms.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Actually, the spoilers aren't such a big problem. First of all, sooner or later Sakurai will show us everything, and second, I'm sure moderators provide in a spoiler-free space. If not, then either this site isn't really that good or it just isn't worth it, because most of the special features already have been featured on the official site itself.

The thing that bothers me the most is the experience advantage other countries have. It always has been a problem in online gaming. We Europeans would get most online games too late to actually gain in on others. And the big problem with Brawl is that if we import the game, we wouldn't be able to play continental, because the game has been set to America as the main continent.

Rune

Smash Lord
Move to America, where the roads are paved with video games, hot pockets have high nutritional value, and all your other dreams come true.
Poverty and ghetto's, hiphop, Christianity, crime rates, school shootings, fat people, more commercials than actual programming on the telly, censorship, no actual democracy, corporate monopolies, cardboard houses, silly laws, no culture, bad internet connections.. >;P

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Perhaps if Europe didn't force us to leave them a couple years back, they could be enjoying SSBB with us.

Blame your ancestors.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Poverty and ghetto's, hiphop, Christianity, crime rates, school shootings, fat people, more commercials than actual programming on the telly, censorship, no actual democracy, corporate monopolies, cardboard houses, silly laws, no culture, bad internet connections.. >;P
And yet we get Brawl before you guys do, so we win.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Brawl doesn't feed us. Money does. With money we can buy bread. With Brawl we will need to search for resources to bake our own bread.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps if Europe didn't force us to leave them a couple years back, they could be enjoying SSBB with us.

Blame your ancestors.
Europe started the potato famine? I hate the Texas weather and I miss Ireland's climate!

iMichael

Smash Lord
Is there something wrong with hip-hop? Nope its just different music:mad:

bad internet connections? man your......*sigh* nevermind:laugh:

censorship? Yeah America needs it

crime rates? crime is everywhere to tell you the truth:(

school shootings? Yeah it happens:mad:

fat people? theres also really skinny people oh short and tall people :psycho:

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Translation? What do you mean, I live in Finland (yes, it's in Europe for those who weren't already aware of it) and practically all the games I play are in solid English, and I don't really mind if it's UK or US English. Only the games with Finnish developers (Max Payne for example) and games that are designed for kids are available in Finnish. I'm not sure if that's the case in countries like Germany and France where they refuse to play games in a foreign language (might be the same case in Italy/etc, too), and I'm really pissed off if it's because of those countries that the whole continent has to wait longer.

Universal releases ftw! I'm kind of worried about getting the game in like January or February aswell.
:/

hidden

Smash Rookie
Translation? What do you mean, I live in Finland (yes, it's in Europe for those who weren't already aware of it) and practically all the games I play are in solid English, and I don't really mind if it's UK or US English. Only the games with Finnish developers (Max Payne for example) and games that are designed for kids are available in Finnish. I'm not sure if that's the case in countries like Germany and France where they refuse to play games in a foreign language (might be the same case in Italy/etc, too), and I'm really pissed off if it's because of those countries that the whole continent has to wait longer.

Universal releases ftw! I'm kind of worried about getting the game in like January or February aswell.
:/
Even most non-children games devoloped over here don't have and Duth language options.

Rune

Smash Lord
France and Germany are big enough to not need much interaction with other countries, therefore they don't care about learning other languages. Scandinavia and the Netherlands should take over Europe really.

Is there something wrong with hip-hop? Nope its just different music
bad internet connections? man your......*sigh* nevermind
censorship? Yeah America needs it
crime rates? crime is everywhere to tell you the truth
school shootings? Yeah it happens
fat people? theres also really skinny people oh short and tall people
1. It brings forth the most shallow subculture around today.
2. Man my what? :D
3. No one needs it.
4. Just a bit more in some places than others.
5. Yes, it does.
6. But mostly..

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
First of all, there's not even a release date for Japan.... but we know they aren't going to have to wait unless its like the wii and we get it first (very unlikely).

You could just import the game and use some software to unregion lock it (forget what its called).

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It's not the region issue. Without the region lock you would still not be able to go online with only people from Europe. And it's really important for some people to just play online with people from your own continent. A simple region lock override does not solve this problem.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Downloadable content for Brawl could address version differences, allowing worldwide online games to take place. My guess is though, that there's 0% chance of worldwide online play being possible out of the box. They probably also won't use it for character fixes.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
But even if there's worldwide support for this game, some people just want to battle their own region, see how they match up with their own continent. American players play differently than European.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
So? I play differently than my best friend does. The big reason Europeans play differently from Americans is because of the character differences in the NTSC-PAL conversions.

If you want to play people from a certain region only, it's totally possible with server picking. We don't know anything at all about how Brawl online mode will work anyway, so I don't see a reason to complain now.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
You are absolutely right.

That leaves us with one last argument:

Star points.

We Europeans have a special point system, probably something Americans and at least the Japanese also have. For people who don't know this, with the star points, you can exchange them for merchandises or free games. Later it should be possible to exchange them for Wii Points, but until then, we'll have to wait.

The point is, when importing, we won't get to benefit from these extras. And you know how Dutch people are. If you can benefit for something, you'll rather wait.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
I was just offering a solution and if you dont want to play brawl because of said reason then wait, but if you dont than import it and buy your version when it comes out. We don't know how online is going to be so we dont know if that is going to be a problem. If you really want to play against people in your region who also won't even have the game unless they have imported it too, theres a possibility you will be able to play against them online. If you can't, do it the old fashioned way and invite some friends over and when brawl comes out for europe than you can get it.

If your going to complain about something like star points for the sake of being cheap and continuing the arguement, then **** you.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace

My solution to your suffering...

Wiikey (Mod chip)
it allows you to play imports from anywhere, (Region free), along with burned games + many more...

get the Us Brawl imports
it certanly made my life more easier...

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
LOL@Europeans. Hitler pwned yeh.

Good ol' 'merica came and saved teh day.

Americans Smash better anyway. ZING.
That's a really lame excuse. That's like me pointing out that you got bombed by the one country that you're getting SSBB from.

Also people, don't complain. We do have YouTube and Google you know. By the time it comes out over here (which is estimated at early January) we'll know how to unlock all the characters and stages! Plus i'll see plenty of SSBB action on YouTube! :cool:

Top Bottom