• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
@ nightro and spamus

what do you know about this amazingly awesome thing.

http://gizmodo.com/5681739/the-closest-thing-to-surviving-real-zombie-outbreak
I play that every quarter and so does chris. It's amazing.

also @education

teachers make very little money per year, but due to benefits(such as fully paid health care) the money they make goes straight to their pocket rather than being spent on life necessities.

also education preps you to advance in your career. it doesn't just prep you for the career itself. just from my major (game design and development), it teaches you how to learn, not just how to do. most of the classes i take prep me for learning new things rather than learning old things that the industry might be using when i exit college.

also the entertainment industry is varied (i assume you're talking about celebrities and ****). game design is also an area of entertainment as well as movies and other such things. while I agree that entertainers are paid quite a large sum of money to do what they do, they're being paid that for a reason; they make that much money from products they advertise and the sexiness they sell. the other part of the entertainment industry is the production of popular media (movies/books/art/games). the people the work on each of these products receive a certain amount of money based on how well the product sells. eg movies: make **** tons of money, will pay actors and directors $$$$$$$$$$$. games require a whole studio to create, and don't net as much as money, ergo your artists/programmers/developers aren't seeing the kind of money your movie actors are (plus good actors are in high demand whereas programmers can all do the same work). on that note, you won't get hired as a programmer to work on any kind of title unless you have a college degree in CS or a similar major.

if something didn't make sense it's cuz i'm very happy atm, ask for clarification.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I didn't do it this quarter, but will next. It's on-off good.

In other news-
My wii is now a Ferrari. Too bad I can't drive it to AXS. Discuss.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
@ nightro and spamus

what do you know about this amazingly awesome thing.

http://gizmodo.com/5681739/the-closest-thing-to-surviving-real-zombie-outbreak
Some people wear bandannas around their arms, while other people wear differently colored bandannas around their heads. The people with arm-bandannas wander around with nerf guns and nerf swords. The two groups then engage in a week-long game of tag, where a head bandanna indicates you're "it." Here's the catch: If you smack a ***** with your nerf weaponry, they can't tag you - thus preserving your precious, precious arm bandanna. Then, after a week, the game ends and life goes back to normal. Until next semester, when people get really excited for the new game of tag.

That about sums it up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@pyro, when I said entertainment, i was thinking along the lines of alex rodriguez, getting payed 150 million dollars a year to catch and hit the occasional baseball. lebron james getting 99 million dollars for a sneaker endorsement before even stepping foot on an nba basketball court. that kind of thing.

@ spamus, you dont sound nearly as hyped as you should.

@sharky, but they dont make an amazing movie trailer out of it.

@snowman. not last, there you go, settin that bar real high i see.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
@pyro, when I said entertainment, i was thinking along the lines of alex rodriguez, getting payed 150 million dollars a year to catch and hit the occasional baseball. lebron james getting 99 million dollars for a sneaker endorsement before even stepping foot on an nba basketball court. that kind of thing.

Ahhh, I ignored this when you first posted "entertainment" cause I really hoped you were talking about something other than professional athletes. I'm not gonna talk about any other domain - movies, music, what have you - but athletes make as much money as they do because they possess a skill, which is in demand, and which only an astronomically small portion of people on the planet possess. Not to mention the fact that the service they provide generates god only knows how much revenue for the people paying them.

Teachers (to use the previous example) certainly perform a valuable role and are probably under-appreciated. But I could grab some guy off the street and, with a minimum level of training, turn him into a competent teacher. That is why A-rod and LeBron make millions while teachers don't. Teachers might be more valuable, but they are by far more replaceable.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh, I ignored this when you first posted "entertainment" cause I really hoped you were talking about something other than professional athletes. I'm not gonna talk about any other domain - movies, music, what have you - but athletes make as much money as they do because they possess a skill, which is in demand, and which only an astronomically small portion of people on the planet possess. Not to mention the fact that the service they provide generates god only knows how much revenue for the people paying them.

Teachers (to use the previous example) certainly perform a valuable role and are probably under-appreciated. But I could grab some guy off the street and, with a minimum level of training, turn him into a competent teacher. That is why A-rod and LeBron make millions while teachers don't. Teachers might be more valuable, but they are by far more replaceable.
Everyone is easy to replace. You're born, you live, you die. There - replacement :]

I'm not in college to make money afterwards. Granted I'd like enough to make sure I can support myself and whoever else fabricates from my body, if I choose to let that happen. Maybe people wanna make a difference in the world and are happy with a meager income.

Agreed about superfluous paychecks for entertainment and high media. Corporations should not have that amount of resources. Thanks for deconstructing and destroying social justice, jerks.

See you guys at AXS, I hope. :]

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Teachers: Necessary
Doctors: Necessary
Cops: Necessary
Firemen: Necessary
Farmers: Necessary
Actors: Not Necessary
Atheletes: Not Necessary
Talk Show Hosts: Not Necessary
TV Sitcom Writers: Not Necessary

Jerry Seinfeld wrote a show that is quite honestly about nothing. The last episode he shot of said show was more or less 15 years ago. He made something in the ballpark of 50 million dollars last year from said show.

Tell me how it makes more sence that Jerry Seinfeld and Kobe Bryant make more money than a guy that SAVES PEOPLES LIVES for a living... and not even a little bit more. like so much more that its like comparing the size of a house cat, to the size of a polar bear.

And to bring this thing all the way back full circle. You dont need to go to school to write jokes, and the only reason you need to go to school to play basketball is that the colleges are so money hungry that the NBA institutes rules that you have to go to college for at least a year in order to get in. When its pretty clear that anybody that is good enough to be in the NBA is going to try to avoid this process because they know theres no point to spending 20-30 for a year in college when they could just NOT do that, and spend that same year making millions of dollars.

Note that im just one guy and these are the opinions of one guy. Im not arguing to stir up animosity here. Just think its best that everyone look at the entirety of their situation when looking at options that are going to impact ones future.

Also note, that I am a very pensive person, and love to have intellectual discussions with anybody. So if you want to PM me, call me, talk to me in person or by any other means about anything like that, feel free.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is easy to replace. You're born, you live, you die. There - replacement :]
Bingo. That's why I'm not sitting around waiting for my "being alive" stipend to show up.

I'm not in college to make money afterwards. Granted I'd like enough to make sure I can support myself and whoever else fabricates from my body, if I choose to let that happen. Maybe people wanna make a difference in the world and are happy with a meager income.
I'm not sure that this addresses anything I said. If it does, and I'm just missing the connection, please let me know. I'm not trying to say that the objective of life should be "make money." All I'm saying is that, for the people who do make such vast sums, they usually do something to deserve it.

Agreed about superfluous paychecks for entertainment and high media. Corporations should not have that amount of resources. Thanks for deconstructing and destroying social justice, jerks.
Why, exactly, should corporations not have that amount of resources? I think it would be very difficult to limit their ability to accumulate resources as they do, without first breaking some other fundamental principle of "social justice."

Teachers: Necessary
Doctors: Necessary
Cops: Necessary
Firemen: Necessary
Farmers: Necessary
Actors: Not Necessary
Atheletes: Not Necessary
Talk Show Hosts: Not Necessary
TV Sitcom Writers: Not Necessary
Agreed

Jerry Seinfeld wrote a show that is quite honestly about nothing. The last episode he shot of said show was more or less 15 years ago. He made something in the ballpark of 50 million dollars last year from said show.
I'll take your word for it.

Tell me how it makes more sence that Jerry Seinfeld and Kobe Bryant make more money than a guy that SAVES PEOPLES LIVES for a living... and not even a little bit more. like so much more that its like comparing the size of a house cat, to the size of a polar bear.
How many people can do what a doctor does? A quick look at Wikipedia informs us that the AMA reported a membership of 250,000 last year, and that that's estimated to represent 20% of practicing physicians.

Now, how many people can do what Kobe Bryant does? 2? Maybe? I'm not trying to say that what Kobe (or Seinfeld, or [insert celebrity here]) does is more important. But it's harder.

And to bring this thing all the way back full circle. You dont need to go to school to write jokes, and the only reason you need to go to school to play basketball is that the colleges are so money hungry that the NBA institutes rules that you have to go to college for at least a year in order to get in. When its pretty clear that anybody that is good enough to be in the NBA is going to try to avoid this process because they know theres no point to spending 20-30 for a year in college when they could just NOT do that, and spend that same year making millions of dollars.
But the people who can make a living writing jokes or playing basketball represent a very small minority. No one's saying that if you don't go to college you won't be successful (however you want to define success). But, if we take a typical societal definition of success (and if you want to argue that such a definition is flawed, fine - then it's not actually college we're arguing about at all) then, on average, going to colleges increases your chances of attaining that goal.

Note that im just one guy and these are the opinions of one guy. Im not arguing to stir up animosity here. Just think its best that everyone look at the entirety of their situation when looking at options that are going to impact ones future.

Also note, that I am a very pensive person, and love to have intellectual discussions with anybody. So if you want to PM me, call me, talk to me in person or by any other means about anything like that, feel free.
Argument for argument's sake is the best kind :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
~1.4 million doctors (in the U.S.A I assume) vs ~500 players in the NBA

I see where you coming from in that thats why those types of people make more money. But that still doesnt change the fact that regardless of how difficult a thing may be. that shouldnt determine entirely how much it makes you. part of it, maybe. But the idea that people that do thing that are not essential to society make CONSISTENTLY and SUBSTANTIALLY more money than those that do things that ARE essential to societal progress is, very upsetting.

The ability to catch a football and avoid being knocked over, regardless of how hard it is, shouldnt be compensated more than somebody who risks their life running into a burning building to save others. feel me?

I guess it all flows back into the understanding that I think everyone can agree with in that society as a whole is consistently focused on the wrong things.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
~1.4 million doctors (in the U.S.A I assume) vs ~500 players in the NBA

I see where you coming from in that thats why those types of people make more money. But that still doesnt change the fact that regardless of how difficult a thing may be. that shouldnt determine entirely how much it makes you. part of it, maybe. But the idea that people that do thing that are not essential to society make CONSISTENTLY and SUBSTANTIALLY more money than those that do things that ARE essential to societal progress is, very upsetting.

The ability to catch a football and avoid being knocked over, regardless of how hard it is, shouldnt be compensated more than somebody who risks their life running into a burning building to save others. feel me?

I guess it all flows back into the understanding that I think everyone can agree with in that society as a whole is consistently focused on the wrong things.
It is (this) society's self-interest that people are "entertained" or "distracted" or "kept at bay." Living in or against a society can be very stressful. Stress relief is necessary when stress cannot be avoided. People have different ways of controlling neurotransmitters like dopamine and seratonin. Some of them are literally circlejerks - others are the NBA, smash, THC, stamp collecting, arguing on the internet, et cetera. Society is about togetherness. It comes with it's pro's (agreements, rights) and con's (disagreements, wrongs).

See you guys at AXS, I hope. :]
QFT. I agree that the definition, capability, and responsibility of corporations should be reevaluated. Changing pro's and con's leave me unsure of what to conclude from their effect on lifeequality.

Good luck and have fun at the tournament everyone. I will be absent - school johns :130:

huMps

Smash Ace
This thread needs more melee discussion. Is there anyone else in this region besides jesse playing to beome a great player? Everytime I play I'm trying to get better, does anyone else play with the same attitude. Or is just playing for fun enough to keep you playing. My deepest appreciation for this game comes from the fact that there is no limit to how good you can become and how much you can know.

a nub

Smash Ace
I'm aiming for first too. There hasn't been a tourney here in a while so I'm hyped for axs. My goal right now is to get onto the power rankings, which I think I'm definitely capable of very soon

so who's hyped for rom 3? Rom 2 was my first tourney so seeing as it'll be the end of my first year, I'm looking forward to seeing how I do.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I only play melee these days to prove to the people that talk junk exactly how good I am.

I know neil only enters melee tourneys cus its free money for him.

I dont feel the need to get any better at melee, since Im already good enough to do what i feel is enough for me. Which is beat everyone else in this region save jesse, neil, steffon and possibly mana. I might enter one national melee tourney someday just do see exactly where I place, but other than that, my real drive is for brawl.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
This thread needs more melee discussion. Is there anyone else in this region besides jesse playing to beome a great player? Everytime I play I'm trying to get better, does anyone else play with the same attitude. Or is just playing for fun enough to keep you playing. My deepest appreciation for this game comes from the fact that there is no limit to how good you can become and how much you can know.
I do play to become better, it's kind of taken a back seat to school atm. But RoM3 will be my benchmark for playing competitive smash. I know I've gotten a lot better, unfortunately I feel like I've plateau'd a little. It's why I've been picking up new characters and trying to get better tech skill. It's unfortunate, but our region's placings don't change much. As a whole, I think we've gotten better, but no one has really surpassed anyone else. Sometime in the future I hope to beat all those people I've been close to but not better than, however for now I have other **** to do, and I'm content beating up on space animals with Roy and training people in the art of "don't get ***** by stupid ****."

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
I'm just not going to stop till I'm a top competitor.

I've been practicing tech skill hours on end everyday lately, you guys are going to start seeing improvement in me soon.

All I care about is learning, improving, meeting new people, helping make us a power region, and doing what I love to do.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I approve of your goal of not taking last place, as I had the same goal a while back...

Practicing and everything is also good, and I would wish you the best if you hadn't come up with a weak *** excuse like oversleeping on the day of a tournament.

Go to tournaments Snowman.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
I actually did sleep in, I woke up at 9:00AM, told myself I could sleep for another half an our, then woke up at 12:30. Lol. I'm over it, though.

I'm trying to get to RoM, I only have $10 though. Going to try going back to my old job to start saving up.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Who would ever want to shield near the ledge against me? Haha

Top Bottom