• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate Battle #1 Results

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Melee Singles

1. Nintendude ($120.00)
2. JesiahTEG ($60.00)
3. PikaPika! (20.00)
4. Alex Powers!
5. Inty
5. Vicious
7. NightroGlycerine
7. San
9. Erk
9. Flaw
9. Icer
9. Foy
13. A Nub
13. Banana Boat
13. Asylum
13. Pyro
17. Mako
17. Heroic
17. Bob
17. Daizy

Melee Doubles

1. Cornell Melee ($36.00)
2. WNY ($18.00)
3. Oh Snap! ($6.00)
4. Beta and Erk
5. Team Swag
5. Our Couches Pull Out, but we Don't
7. Last Place

Brawl Singles

1. San ($54.00)
2. PikaPika! ($27.00)
3. JamesG ($9.00)
4. Omega Tyrant
5. Jon
5. The Mauve Avenue
7. Doug
7. Nintendude
9. Foy

Brawl Doubles

1. Mike and San
2. James G and Goggles
3. Jon and Mauve

Brawl Doubles was round robin, so I just kinda guessed at the winners. I'll do shoutouts in a separate post.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Alex Powers = Beta
Vicious = KoJ? or am I making that up?
Cornell Melee = me and Icer
WNY = Jesse and Asylum

lol @ "The Mauve Avenue"

I'll do shoutouts soon.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
lol @ pikapika getting third without any practice, at one point i thought it might be jesse v neil in grand finals again

next month i hope to see snips, mana, rtf and maybe some more rit/eastman people come

Nintendude

Smash Hero
2. JesiahTEG - Good job finally taking a set off of me. We got a cool rivalry going and it's awesome that it's generating hype. Also, props to revitalizing the WNY scene with this tournament. It was the most hype event I've been to in this region, turnout was pretty good, and you did a great job arranging the space in your house for it. The pizza was awesome too and I believe I speak for all the Ithaca players in saying that we appreciate your hospitality.
3. PikaPika! - um.....good job on 3rd I guess
4. Beta - dammit why'd you have to lose to Neil lol. I was hoping to play you in bracket again.
5. Inty - Congrats on cracking the top-5
5. Vicious - I don't think I got to play you
7. NightroGlycerine - Not sure if I played you either
7. San - Good **** beating Foy and congrats on winning Brawl. Thanks for teaming in Brawl too!
9. Erk - Good seeing you again
9. Icer - You got a lot of potential and are waaaaay more capable than 9th. You just gotta shake the nerves off, which will come with experience.
9. Foy - Good games in our MM.
13. Asylum - I think it had been years since I saw you so it was cool to see you at this event. Didn't get to play you in singles though :(
13. Pyro - Roy vs Luigi was fun. Aren't you tristate? I wasn't expecting to see you there.

Kyle - Thanks for running the brackets. Sorry I gave you **** for the seeding. I really was just concerned for Beta in the Melee bracket though. It would have been really unfair to him since he deserved a better seed than that (and the results prove that), and it also would have screwed people over in the losers bracket regardless of which one of us won. I'm still kind of frustrated about the Brawl seeding though. Obviously you gave me a bottom seed, which I don't care about, but you could have put me against the other top seed that wasn't San rather than having me play against my practice partner and teammate. But oh well, **** happens. Everything else was great otherwise.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
hahaha, lol @ the part of beta and neil's match where, during the commentary when kyle says "the number of times beta has won is 0" and then you hear beta in the background like "you already said that" and kyle- "the people need to know" hahahaha

still procrastinating my shoutouts, but good stuff mike

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
GGs all. I had a pretty decent outing this time around, but I won't be satisfied until I'm on top. With just a little bit of fine tuning, I can see myself going even farther in these tournies. Unfortunately, whether or not I can find time to make myself better is up in the air for now.

Also, Jesse and Goggles, you both did a damn fine job of hosting this tournament so I just wanna give you my thanks. Hope to see you all in a little while, and damn, let's try to find some more Brawl players around here!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Good job Nintendude.
You got him next time, Jesse.

Some of you guys should come down to Mass Madness on May 19th. 5-year anniversary. All of NE is going and we're aiming to bring in tri-state in, it'd be awesome to have some Upstate representation.

Rykard

Smash Ace
shoutouts to me for having to play saxophone all day for a masterclass with a chinese saxophone quartet and being unable to attend

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
2. JesiahTEG - Good job finally taking a set off of me. We got a cool rivalry going and it's awesome that it's generating hype. Also, props to revitalizing the WNY scene with this tournament. It was the most hype event I've been to in this region, turnout was pretty good, and you did a great job arranging the space in your house for it. The pizza was awesome too and I believe I speak for all the Ithaca players in saying that we appreciate your hospitality.
Np man. Yeah, aside from me losing lol, I am extremely happy with the way everything turned out. I'm gonna write up a post right now talking about it, along with my shoutouts.

GGs all. I had a pretty decent outing this time around, but I won't be satisfied until I'm on top. With just a little bit of fine tuning, I can see myself going even farther in these tournies. Unfortunately, whether or not I can find time to make myself better is up in the air for now.

Also, Jesse and Goggles, you both did a damn fine job of hosting this tournament so I just wanna give you my thanks. Hope to see you all in a little while, and damn, let's try to find some more Brawl players around here!
Well thanks for at least finding time to come out. You're a cool dude and we ***** in Teams Tenkaichi. Your Samus was beeaaast. Thanks for the props man, and finding the Brawl players is all up to Goggles lol.

Good job Nintendude.
You got him next time, Jesse.

Some of you guys should come down to Mass Madness on May 19th. 5-year anniversary. All of NE is going and we're aiming to bring in tri-state in, it'd be awesome to have some Upstate representation.
Hahaha, thanks Matt. I think I got him next time too. I wish I could come dude, but Like Mike said...

I think May 19th is when Upstate Battle #2 is:(
It's the 3rd Saturday of every month...
I'll see you at Zenith though brah.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So there is really a lot for me to say (as usual) about this tournament.

The first thing being, I'm MORE than happy at the way things turned out. I had a goal for this tournament, and that goal was to bring back the FEEL of the old Arena tournaments. The Arena 51 Melee tournaments to me always felt so intense for some reason, but there was also a lot of goofing around and having fun.

Well what we had for this tournament, was actually in my opinion, even more fun and intensity.

The crowd was amaaaazing, and the matches vs Nintendude, both from Neil and myself, definitely had an intensity to them. It was SUPER funny seeing you and Neil play especially cuz I remember when you guys played way back when haha.

So I paid the two people who ran the tourney, Kyle and Kristi a combined total of 50 dollars. I spent 48 dollars on pizza, and probably another 15 or so on napkins, plastic cups, paper plates.

Getting 1st was a huge goal to me for many personal reasons, but aside from those, also so I could pay for everything and still profit. My goal is to come as close as possible to a "self sustaining tourney," meaning as long as I'm getting 1st, the tournament is paying for itself.

I think that's a cool concept because in my eyes, it's a ridiculous amount of motivation to always place 1st. Kinda like, however cheesy as it may be, "With great power, comes great responsibility." If I want to be the best in all of Upstate, I should also have the responsibility of being able to hold monthlies for the region, and being able to make them as awesome as possible using the money from my winnings.

So those are my thoughts about my personal goals/performance/how I felt about the tournament.

Thanks to everyone who got hype over matches. That's the lifeblood of a strong community: Excitement. When people stop caring or stop getting excited over the game, it might take years to generate that again and get people to want to come to tournaments. (It happened to us after Arena went out of business)

So good stuff to everyone.

1. Nintendude ($120.00)- Good stuff man. #1 in Upstate belongs to you right now. It definitely stings a lot, but I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of dethroning you, and then holding on to it. In my mind it's inevitable, I hope you know that. Like, in my head it's already happened, I'm just going to be training and pushing myself to make the results manifest IRL. So while my hat's DEFINITELY off to you and I think you get that by now, definitely don't start sleepin haha.

Yo at some point though, if we're ever at the same out of state tournament, we should think about teaming. That'd be cool to rep the region with you, and Marth/IC's would be SICK if we could ever make it work.

2. JesiahTEG ($60.00)- You did aiight clown.

3. PikaPika! (20.00)- I was actually really glad to see you do so well, and think you could have won actually lol. I wish you played this freakin game.

4. Alex Powers!- GOOD STUFF BETA. You need to beat Neil though. Right now you're #4. You proved that here and even in friendlies/MM's after the tourney. You're moving up dude, after you manage to beat Neil, your next roadblock is...ME! So keep trainin man haha.

5. Inty- Proud of you for $5 man. Your Marth is 2nd best in the region, but I'd like to see you play Foy in Marth dittos. I remember how much you surprised me the first time we played with your smarts and tech skill. Glad to see you rocked it at your first tournament. Keep it up though!

5. Vicious- Tough placing brah, but you know what you have to do. You can definitely, DEFINITELY reclaim your honor if you're willing to make it happen and put in the time this month. And we may even team at some point again, if I feel like you're taking the game seriously and really really want to get back to our old #1 and #2 spots and #1 teams.

7. NightroGlycerine- GOOD SHEEZY NIGHTREEZY!

7. San- Good job beating Foy. That's ridiculous for someone who doesn't play Melee.

9. Erk- You're still getting better and better man. Your Fox is FAST and I gotta watch my double jumps with you. Keep up the trainin, I hope you make it out to the next one.

9. Flaw- Tough placing man. I know you feel like you can do better, and I think you have to do whatever it takes to play to your potential. Figure it out, execute, whatever. But you got it in you, that's for sure.

9. Icer- Good stuff beating me in teams man. You didn't talk the whole tourney haha, but it's cool. Let's play some friendlies next time.

9. Foy- Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

13. A Nub- Barely talked to you at all during the tourney dude. You gotta start fightin for the higher positions man! You're the mini Shiz!

13. Banana Boat- You did good for your first tourney dude. Glad you won one. Stop hatin on the game for being hard and learn to enjoy it

13. Asylum- Daaaaang lol we almost had em Tom. No matter what though, always so fun teaming with you. We definitely have this weird sort of friendship bond that makes playing teams so fun with you lol. You just gotta perform better in singles next time

13. Pyro- It's so weird. Even though I always stomp your Roy, I'm always scared of it at the same time. Mainly cuz I don't know what you're trying to do and when you start moving fast with SHUair's and whatnot, you make Roy look like he can be kind of scary. Good thing you never finish your combos :-P But yo, you're a true Melee player till the end. You love the game more than most people I know, and it definitely shows because after knowing you for 2 years or more, you're still showing up to tournies, and still trying to make that Roy work haha. Good stuff.

17. Mako- Your Ganon was BEAST in Teams Tenkaichi. GOOOOOOOD STUFFFF

17. Heroic- Can't remember who you were dude. Sorry. :(

17. Bob- No wayyyyy Bob. You're a true champ though, and you know I see that in you. Idk what we're going to do about the "making you play at least decently" part of your game that needs work, but there's definitely no one I'd rather have in my corner than you dude.

I LOVE how you tell me, short and simple, what needs to change from the last match. You know how it is dude. It's like when we're watching UFC and we both see something that the fighter can't see because he's so in the zone. It's like, you just want him to change that one thing. TAKE HIM DOWN, STOP STANDING! Things like that, or when Edgar needed to punish the leg kicks of Henderson or just avoid them completely.

You're so good at picking that stuff out and you don't overcomplicate it, and you don't subconsciously try and force what your strategy would be if you were fighting my opponent. Those are both things that make people crappy advice givers. But nah man, def my corner man from now on :)

17. Daizy- Can't remember you dude lol, were you the dude with long hair?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think May 19th is when Upstate Battle #2 is:(
It's the 3rd Saturday of every month...
You should skip one then!

This tournament is going to have a 50 dollar OOR bonus for any OORer who places in the top 3 and it's also the 5 year anniversary of one of the longest running tournaments in the history of smash.

You should think about it at least :)

Besides.. we still need to MM ;)

edit: glad to see vicious still plays

huMps

Smash Ace
Thanks Jesse.

It's easy with you though. Your ****ing brilliant at this game, so when ever you are doing something wrong it sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm definitely down to try teaming some time, Jesse. I would at Zenith but I can't make it to that unfortunately.
You should skip one then!

This tournament is going to have a 50 dollar OOR bonus for any OORer who places in the top 3 and it's also the 5 year anniversary of one of the longest running tournaments in the history of smash.

You should think about it at least :)

Besides.. we still need to MM ;)
Yeah....I definitely can't make it to that one. Hopefully some time during the summer I'll be able to make it to a MM.

So, for those that care, Peter is flying into Ithaca to visit on the 19th and we're tentatively planning on going to UBS2 together. If you don't remember, he's the Cornell Falco that got 3rd at AXS 2 He's supposed to get in at around 11:30 to noon so we wouldn't be able to get there in time for teams.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
this wasn't evan's first tournament :O

also he pretty much beat neil's shiek but faired instead of dair/fsmash or something. didn't expect neil to beat him in marth dittos tho :o

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Oh ok my bad.

Yo I'm watching the vids right now...For an apartment tourney, there's MAD hype haha. Man, what a great set.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Trademark- Yeah we missed you man :( Next time :)

Omega- Oops, well I might have got your name wrong but you were the person I was talking about so it's all good. And carry? Pfft .You did work son.

a nub

Smash Ace
ok so first of all gotta callout alex, armando, and rob for being fake and not showing up. *****s

anyway didn't place particularly well but I think I played less nervously than I usually do in tourney so it's a start. good **** everyone who made this tourney happen

nintendude - I gotta play you at no johns or something this summer even though I'll get ***** lol

jesse - you def stepped up your ics game you got this. cant wait for the next one even if it's right before finals week

evan - good **** on 5th, way to expose *****s...including me loooooool

steffon - I need more fox practice. I wanna get in on some apt training sometime if you guys are ever down

flaw - you can do better

erk - I should've played you more, it's been a while

matt - foam

alex - kinda fake

armando - fake as ****

rob - also fake

damn next time ima do some MMs, really gotta get some footage of myself to look over and I wanna get in that combo vid :troll:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Shoutouts:

Goggles and tourney helpers: Thanks for hosting the tournament, it was a nice refresher from school. I'll be sure to try to make it to the next one if it occurs at a suitable date.

Ithaca people: Really glad you guys could make it with me there. Grats to Mike for keeping his cool in melee and winning the vast majority of $$$

Jon: 5th, very nice
Icer: Nice meeting you, hope to see more of you and see how you improve in Melee.

JamesG: Playing with you was really fun. Don't take it the wrong way, you are definitely skilled. As you noticed from the beginning, I need to concentrate to my fullest to get a win over you now, and you keep improving. Keep it up!

Neil: I still think you have the best shot of beating me with Pika as long as you go at it like in the past. You are not bad as you say and remain one of the largest threats whenever we're in tourney.

Tyrant: Nice clutches you made against some difficult opponents! The wolf/DDD thing seems to be working for you! Glad you could've made it for the long trip to Rochester.

Mauve: You still played well man. I still think you are most beast when you're calm and just let the bairs flow and not try to force things too much.

Mike(Brawl): Brawl is definitely a meticulous game to get down, the mindset is pretty different from melee, and it's pretty hard to balance the two effectively. I still think once you get pikmin control and recovery down, you'll be feared in brawl, too. Nice clutch you made in dubs, too!

Jesse: Nice job putting Mike on his toes, it was definitely an entertaining set. You'll need to teach me just how Jigglypuff plays against Marth, I feel like I need to play much differently than I currently am. I'm sure all your practice in getting your own playstyle will continue to pay off as time continues.

Other melee people:

I learned a lot in these matches with you guys. I tried to tone down some of my bad habits when playing. I hope I at least put up somewhat of a fight with some of you. The sets with Stefan and Foy were particularly enjoyable.

Everyone else I didn't mention:
I hope you all enjoyed the tournament. Hope to see a lot of you guys(Erk Beta Mako Asylum etc etc) at future tournaments.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Allnighter ftw...

Anyways:

1. San ($54.00) :ike:
2. PikaPika! ($27.00) :pikachu: :snake:
3. JamesG ($9.00) :lucario:
4. Omega Tyrant :wolf: :dedede:
5. Jon :sheilda:
5. The Mauve Avenger :kirby:
7. Doug ???
7. Nintendude :olimar:
9. Foy :marth: (iirc)

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
JamesG: Playing with you was really fun. Don't take it the wrong way, you are definitely skilled. As you noticed from the beginning, I need to concentrate to my fullest to get a win over you now, and you keep improving. Keep it up!
Yeah, thanks man. Well, I am improving but you still have the ability to decimate me sometimes which reminds me of how high your skill level currently is, and the long way I still have to go. Regardless, I suppose no matter how bad someone is beaten, the end result is the same. Thanks for all the matches, though. They helped me a lot.

Also, I believe the matches in the set I played against PikaPika! were saved on your Wii. If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could you possibly upload those matches onto youtube? I was hoping I can study what I did right and wrong against him so I can do better in future sets. Thanks dude.

EDIT: Doug must've been the ZSS main I saw mauve playing. Speaking of mauve, I also saw him use R.O.B. one match.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Nice, would've been cool if I could make it to this one. Maybe I'll make it to another sometime. GJ JamesG for placing in the money with a stacked tourney.

Mind I ask, who took out Mauve?

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
I really was just concerned for Beta in the Melee bracket though. It would have been really unfair to him since he deserved a better seed than that (and the results prove that), and it also would have screwed people over in the losers bracket regardless of which one of us won.
I had to play you first round because of THAT?! He still would have taken 4th. :p

andyisjudo

Smash Cadet
Hmm It seems Mauve and Tyrant are going back and fourth. Good job Tyrant. Sorry Goggles only if I was paying attention and bugged bcb about it I think we could've showed D:

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Hmm It seems Mauve and Tyrant are going back and fourth. Good job Tyrant. Sorry Goggles only if I was paying attention and bugged bcb about it I think we could've showed D:
Nah my dad wouldn't have let me anyway, I was too busy with school.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Just for the record, I beat Nightro and Inty and Icer and James in money matches, Tyrant was afraid to money match me and MK was banned.

Safe to say I would have gotten 2nd in Brawl, and ~4th in melee, depending on how sets with Beta and Neil would have gone in melee.

So for everyone that is not jesse, N-dude and San, not only are you welcome for me running your tournament, youre welcome for me ALLOWING you to place as highly as you did. =P

Foy

Smash Champion
Lol couldnt hear what you said kyle cause you got your own **** in ya mouth. Shoutouts when im not at work. Donuts

:phone:

:phone:

Top Bottom