• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upsmashing out of shield with tap jump off or on

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
Out of all these videos, one thing that i don't see enough wolf's utilize is the out of shield upsmash instead of a grab. It's really a better option than a grab in almost every case, except tech chase dthrow mix ups, and it opens them up for an aerial juggle.

We all know that this is easy to do with tap jump on. Just hold shield then hit up on joystick and up on c-stick.

Well perhaps this is common knowledge, but i haven't really seen it mentioned on the wolf boards. You can do the out of shield upsmash with tap jump off and this way actually comes out faster and much more guaranteed than the tap jump.

Simply hold shield and then quickly hit up on joystick and slide from jump to A button. Just like lag cancelling fairs, a very quick slide. You will have an instant upsmash that comes out even a tiny bit faster than the tap jump method. If you have good experience with lag cancelling fairs, this is really simple to do. If they spot dodge, you can keep holding A to charge it, a variation that cannot be done with the tap jump c stick method.

The uses for this are really infinite. My favorite is tech chasing a down throw into either a shield grab or an out of shield upsmash to vary it up.

Hope that helps someone, take care. With this technique the only real thing that cannot be performed with tap jump off is the out of shield di dair, which does wonders against those down c-stick mashers, but you can now uptilt combo much more efficiently and raising that shield up high does great things vs mk tornado.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Hmmm, i didn't know you can make the up-smash out of the shield faster by doing that. On paper, it looks very useful. I'll try to implement this into my game.

thanks for the tip

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
it is significantly faster try it out tell me what you think

you gave me the bair to dacus combo, i love it =)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
:dizzy:
you gave me the bair to dacus combo, i love it =)
Bair -> Boost Smash is not a combo.

And you guys didn't know about Usmash out of shield? X_X

And can you even move your fingers to the C-stick if you use X or Y to jump OOS? Suppose you could charge it, but that's slow. Unfortunately, USmash isn't too safe on block, so yeah =/ It's just really for punishing people that hit your shield.

If you people don't have tap jump on, then I recommend you get used to having it on right away. It saves time in tourneys, and it helps a ton with Retreating Fairs/OOS attacks. =)

Villi

Smash Lord
You don't have to use the C-stick. If you're holding up and then slide your finger from jump to A, your jump will cancel and you will do a jump canceled up smash OOS. Works wonders for Zelda.

And Dair OOS isn't impossible, it's just like doing a bair/fair OOS without accidentally rolling -- you have to input the direction between your jump and attack inputs or just let go of your shield button quickly enough.

Any of you ever try doing a down b out of shield using this same method? Seems like it would be very useful. There's even enough time after your shine lag to air-dodge buffer a down smash...

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
We knew about out of shield attacks with tap jump, but i bet not everyone knew how to do it without using your c-stick and having the option to charge it. The OOS upsmash is really not that slow, it works everytime your shield gets attacked and you have the option to grab and it has a little more range than a standard grab, so can catch people just out of reach.

The Dair OOS is not that bad with tap jump off, but you just dont get the same movement on it and it messes up a lot. It's way easier with tap jump on, and can be effective against some chars that dsmash spam.

The Bair does combo into DACUS.

Some chars like Marth and Wario super benefit from tap jump on, but with wolf I am still trying both. One thing that bothers me about tap jump on is not being able to put the shield fully up against tornado spammers and the AC fair thru them to turn around uptilt becomes much harder. ArcPoint, any tips on how to do that effectively with it on?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
My personal recommendation? Don't use Utilt.

If you actually want to do cross over turn around Utilt, then I find tilting the control stick ever so slightly and then pressing C-stick up gets the job done.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've actually found this to be very efficient at catching Metaknight's off guard. Fsmash and Dsmash are expected alot which bring alot of Meta's approaching at a high angle. Upsmash OOS can eat their fairs, bairs and dairs and come back with a vengeance with ease.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I actually started doing this a few weeks back, it is pretty useful, especially considering most of the people I play that are my skill level know my exact moves, it allows for some changeup now and then. It's a pretty good kill move too if you can't seem to get the kill.

Top Bottom