• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upgrading Basic PC to Gaming PC on a Budget

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Please bear with me. I have a Dell Inspiron 590 desktop. Here are the specs in case anyone is interested:

CPU: Intel Celeron D 2.2GHz

RAM: 2GB DDR3, but can support 32GB by my calculation(three empty slots)

GPU: Intel on board graphics, atm.

HDD: 320GB SATA.

I do have a general idea on what to do to upgrade the PC, and I have acquired a ATI Radion 5850 video card, and I need to beef my memory, power supply, and get a slave HDD.

John2k4

The End of an Era
A computer is only as fast as its slowest component.

In this case, that would definitely be the onboard graphics.
I'd say that a slave HDD should be the last thing you get.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I would have to upgrade the power supply first so that it can support the new graphics card that I got(because a 160 watt PSU would not cut it compared to a 900 watt PSU that I will need), and from there I can do any number of things. I do have another 320GB SATA HDD that I can use as a slave, but I would rather go with, and you are right about it, a TB or more as a slave.

greenblattsam

Smash Cadet
I would have to upgrade the power supply first so that it can support the new graphics card that I got(because a 160 watt PSU would not cut it compared to a 900 watt PSU that I will need), and from there I can do any number of things. I do have another 320GB SATA HDD that I can use as a slave, but I would rather go with, and you are right about it, a TB or more as a slave.
There is no way that you would need over 500W-700W for the setup that you are talking about. I would also make sure that you have a PCI-E x16 slot to even support that card.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Your computer sounds really old to be honest. If it's running a Celeron, chances are you should just start a new machine from scratch. You'll probably have a smoother transition that way.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Celeron D isn't *that* old, but you should definitely look into a new motherboard.

900W PSU is so overkill for just about anything except bleeding edge. I have a GTX280 that needs both an 8 and 6pin power connection. The PSU is only 650W, I believe, and works perfectly.

What gfx card are you looking at getting?

:phone:

greenblattsam

Smash Cadet
Celeron D isn't *that* old, but you should definitely look into a new motherboard.

900W PSU is so overkill for just about anything except bleeding edge. I have a GTX280 that needs both an 8 and 6pin power connection. The PSU is only 650W, I believe, and works perfectly.

What gfx card are you looking at getting?

:phone:
He has a 5850 currently. I just doubt that a computer that old would have the appropriate slot for the card.

Top Bottom