• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques

Guide Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Hi folks. I've seen a few posts asking for advice on some of R.O.B.'s advanced techniques here, so I wrote a guide on what they are, how to execute them, and what you did incorrectly if you didn't perform it correctly. Let me know if you have any recommendations for it!

Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques - Learn useful R.O.B. advanced techniques. Button inputs, training tips, and troubleshooting included!

Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques

Table Of Contents:

Introduction
Formatting
General Useful Tech

- Longer Up B
- Instant Dash Attack
- Up Smash Out of Shield
- Pivot Forward Tilt
- Pivot Forward Smash
Auto Cancelled Aerials
- Auto Cancelled Back Air
- Auto...
Read more about this guide...

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sick stuff dude. Really appreciate the effort. I haven't read word-for-word yet. But I will soon.
Thanks!

1FC0

Smash Lord
Thank you for making this. I just read the guide and I think it is really good!
Anyway I think I have some things to practice soon =)

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Great guide, one other thing I want to mention that I think would be good to note is dropping the gyro then doing an aerial which recatches it.

For example, grab button (drop the gyro) -> (quickly) attack button (nair, also regrabs the gyro). Or fair or dair or any aerial.

Just something I thought should be included, as it can catch people off guard.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
TheSMASHtyke updated Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques with a new update entry:

Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques v1.1

An update to the guide "Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques" has been released! The following changes were made:
  • Two brand new sections, Trickier Useful Tech and Gyro Play have been added to the guide!
  • The previous "Jump Cancelling" section which only included Jump Cancelled Item Tosses has been removed and its content added to the Gyro Play section
  • More advanced techniques have been added including:
  1. Stutter Step Forward Smashes
  2. Roll Cancelled...
Read the rest of this update entry...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm gonna sticky this. I think it's extremely important for new players to have a resource like this around. I look forward to this being update further in the future.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
TheSMASHtyke updated Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques with a new update entry:

Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques v1.2

Thank you all for such a warm community reception to this guide!

An update to the guide "Upgrade: Learn R.O.B.'s Advanced Techniques" has been released. The following changes were made:

• Two brand new sections, Stage Specific Tech and Where to Start? have been added. Stage Specific Tech contains information on techniques that can be done only on certain stages. Where to Start contains advice on how to digest the guide.
  • Each section of the guide is now organized so the more...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Since some users don't have a gamecube controller, wii u or simply use another controller type, could you add controls for other settings or put the actual actions there? That would really help.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Since some users don't have a gamecube controller, wii u or simply use another controller type, could you add controls for other settings or put the actual actions there? That would really help.
What specific controller and what actions? I could help with that.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'd say put default 3ds controls there.
It's all the same. The circle pad is the control stick, red button is the B button, green is A, etc. Is there a specific action you're confused with that I could help you understand?

Last edited:

Jerbear9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerbs9
sorry to ask, but what controller settings do you use and are any of the inputs dependent on buttons and may not be possible/easier/more difficult depending on settings (toggle jump on/off, c-stick smash/tilt)? i use a pro controller with toggle jump off, jump set to left bumper, c-stick smash, special to x (since it's closer to the pro's c-stick), and everything else default pro settings. in particular i'm curious about usmash OoS (don't think any of the others would affect me really) but i'm not familiar how tilt vs smash could change things.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I use the GCN controller as most people do and the only difference I use is I turn tap jump off. I turn c-stick to attack instead of smash with certain characters, but not with ROB.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Gamecube Controller.
Tap Jump Off.
L set to Jump
C-Stick set to Attack

Curious @ GwJ GwJ , why do you prefer C-stick as Smash w/ ROB? Doesn't it make spacing N- and F- airs like... super hard/inconsistent, or is there a trick or something I dun know about?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You can still do aerial moves with the c stick, or am I misunderstanding?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I believe Syde7 is referring to the fact that if you have c-stick set to Smash, holding the c-stick will kill all your momentum. For instance, if you perform a retreating fair while holding the c-stick, ROB would stop moving after the fair if you had c-stick set to smash, but would continue moving backwards after the fair if it's set to attack. The band-aid fix is to always flick the c-stick when performing aerials.

I use a Gamecube controller with mostly default controls (minus rumble and A+B smash). I personally don't think it's optimal, but it's too much of a a chore to switch now.

Also, @ Syde7 Syde7 , I use the A button to perform nair. Is there a disadvantage to using that input?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Jams. Jams. summed up what I was getting at. And, I use the "A" button for N-air as well. I don't see any disadvantage for it, since the AutoCancel window on it is so liberal unlike a B-, or U-air.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You're kidding me. I thought this game was just balls and the momentum killing was just something I had to deal with.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I kid you not. I had no idea you didnt know that. ... unless you're trolling me...

Last edited:

Jearbear357

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jearbear357
3DS FC
3136-6787-2727
Don't know if this has been brought up, but I find it MUCH easier to perform a pivot side smash with the c stick instead of pressing A. Like a pivot side tilt where once you flick the joystick in the opposite direction and press A, you subsitute the A for the flick of the c stick.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
You should update the "stage specific tech" section to show that you can uthrow suicide on dreamland, when wispy is blowing. It's a bit different than just moving platforms.

I'm also noticing a lot of broken images, not all of them though. My internet is being ****ty today so it may just be me.

Eclecticmindz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eclecticmindz
Great guide! I just got into competitive smash and ROB has been my main since Brawl. Would it be possible for you to make a printable version of your guide? There is a lot of material, and a physical hard copy would be a great resource for me. I tried printing to PDF but the formatting on the button inputs do not show up. =)

Jerbear9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerbs9
Great guide! I just got into competitive smash and ROB has been my main since Brawl. Would it be possible for you to make a printable version of your guide? There is a lot of material, and a physical hard copy would be a great resource for me. I tried printing to PDF but the formatting on the button inputs do not show up. =)
could take screenshots of everything and paste them to word

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Been busy with school lately so I haven't had the time to update the guide. I plan on adding a section for the new gyro cancelling tech as well as restoring some of the broken images. Do the rest of you have any suggestions for other things to possibly add?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Instatossing (airdodge into an item then quickly inputting a directional attack to instantly throw it) seems like a useful tech to add to the gyro section. Instant z-dropping is also possible with :GCZ: then :GCA:. Reverse JC toss (basically combining RAR and JC tossing) could be worth a mention since it can be used as a confirm and is the fastest method for setting up the reverse gyro ledge trap, though it just combines other tech. Currently can't think of anything else. =/

Top Bottom