• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated Tutorial] Project M 3.6 - Rearranging CSS directly via CSS Organizer!

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE: I've made a discovery! PhantomWing's CSS Organizer can actually be used to directly edit 3.6's CSS selection screen, despite it normally not being able to. Now all you need is:

- Knowledge of running Project M on Dolphin. (Testing custom builds on Dolphin is much more efficient.)
- PhantomWing's CSS Organizer
- BrawlBox, preferably v0.76b
- A fresh copy of Project M 3.6.

I ask that you find 3.6 yourself. Okay, let's begin!

1) With sc_selcharacter.pac open in BrawlBox, directly click the "sc_selcharacter_en" file, or the ARC file. On the right hand side under Misc, change Compression from 'ExtendedLZ77' to 'LZ77'. Save, then exit out of BrawlBox.

2) Open sc_selcharacter.pac again, this time in CSSO. You should now see an outline of the PM 3.6 CSS. On the bottom-right corner under Layout, increase character slots to 42. (As in 3.6 there are 41 character slots + the random slot.) Now the fun part! Rearrange the roster to your liking. I recommend a Grid Snap setting of 0.25.

Note: To those that read my old tutorial, be aware that the CSSO icons still do not correspond to their actual in-game positions. So we still need to go through that step, conveniently pasted below.

"But wait, what's with this arrangement CSSO gives me? It looks nothing like it does in-game, and what's with the blank slots?" Okay, so unfortunately the CSS icons in CSSO do not correspond to their actual placements in-game. Just ignore that, leave the blank slots alone, and rearrange the roster to your best. When done, save the file then exit out of CSSO. Here's an example arrangement:

4) Open the .pac file in BrawlBox (it gets tiring typing sc_selcharacter.pac), and change the ARC file back to the 'ExtendedLZ77' compression. Save, then exit. Now start up your build. Once you go to the CSS, you're going to find a big mess. This is what my rearranged roster turned into:

What in the world happened? Like I mentioned, the CSS icons in CSSO do not correspond to their actual in-game placements at all. So now what we need to do is go back to CSSO and rearrange things again, keeping in mind to change the ARC file's compression back to 'LZ77' in order to do so.

Note: If the whole 'LZ77' compression thing gets confusing, just know that CSSO can only open 3.6's sc_selcharacter.pac with the ARC file compressed as LZ77. Not ExtendedLZ77!

We need to figure out what character icons correspond to what character in-game, and arrange the slots in CSSO accordingly. Yes I know, this isn't the most fun activity out there. But this is how you do it. I strongly recommend taking screenshots of what the roster looks like in CSSO and in-game, and have them open side-by-side to help figure out who goes where.

During this step you may need to test your build a few times to make sure each character is in your desired place. I'd say this is the most difficult step of this whole process; just stay strong!

Going back to the initial arrangement CSSO presented us with, here's an image showing what some of the character slots correspond to their actual in-game slots:

I don't know why the icons in CSSO don't correspond to the in-game arrangement at all. It's mildly infuriating, but alas.

5) So after some time you finally have your arranged roster in CSSO. Save and exit, change the ARC file's compression back to 'ExtendedLZ77' in BrawlBox, and start up your build. Upon seeing the CSS, you should have your ideal roster arrangement. Congrats! Here's my example:

Not the same exact thing I was working with earlier, but you get the idea. Ignore the background.

A rearranged roster, what an amazing sight. And that's it folks! Much simpler than my previous tutorial. I hope things were clear. Don't know why the compression of the file affects its compatibility, but alas. Happy rearranging! c:

EDIT: Formatting. Words. Also forgot to give a shout out to CommittedHail from KCMM, as one of his/her posts gave me the idea to try changing sc_selcharacter.pac's compression.

Here's the old tutorial, for the masochists out there.
Hey everyone, I'm here to give a tutorial on rearranging the CSS select screen via PhantomWing's CSS Organizer. Normally this isn't possible as CSSO can't read 3.6's sc_selcharacter.pac, but with some modifications it is definitely possible. Can't say the process is quick or easy, however. I'll be listing the steps followed by spoilers containing pictures and optional information. I hope to explain this process as user-friendly as possible, so let's begin! What you'll need:

- Knowledge of running Project M on Dolphin. (Testing custom builds on Dolphin is much more efficient.)
- PhantomWing's CSS Organizer
- BrawlBox, preferably v0.76b
- A fresh copy of Project M 3.6
- A fresh copy of Project M 3.0's common5.pac

I ask that you find 3.6 and the common5 file yourself. They're definitely floating around somewhere.

1) Start by opening 3.0's common5.pac file in BrawlBox and exporting the sc_selcharacter_en section to your desktop. Do this by the CTRL+E hotkey or right-clicking it. Save it as a .pac, then go to File -> Close.
A picture of exporting the file:

Why are we working with a file from an older PM version? CSSO is pretty outdated, only being able to read and modify PM 3.0's sc_selcharacter_en.pac file. Luckily this file is functionally similar to 3.6's sc_selcharacter.pac, allowing us to copy portions of 3.0's data onto 3.6. More details later on.

2) With BrawlBox still up, open sc_selcharacter.pac from Project M 3.6. Export the MiscData[70] section to the desktop as a .brres file. Now go to File -> Close. Then open the newly exported 3.0 sc_selcharacter_en.pac file and import the MiscData[70].brres file we just retrieved from 3.6. (You can do this by right-clicking on the MiscData[70] section -> Replace.) Save, then close BrawlBox.
MiscData[70] contains the MenSelchrChrFace pictures of the fighters, or simply their CSS icons. With this step we are making CSSO display 3.6's CSS icons instead of 3.0's. Makes the process much easier.

3) Now open CSS Organizer, and open sc_selcharacter_en.pac. You should now see an outline of the PM 3.6 CSS. On the bottom-right corner under 'Layout', increase character slots to 42. (As in 3.6 there are 41 character slots + random slot.) Then decrease Grid Snap to 0.25. Now the fun part! Rearrange the roster to your liking.

"But wait, what's with this arrangement CSSO gives me? It looks nothing like it does in-game, and what's with the blank slots?" Okay, so unfortunately the CSS icons in CSSO do not correspond to their actual placements in-game. Just ignore that, leave the blank slots alone, and rearrange the roster to your best. When done, save the file then exit out of CSSO. Here's an example arrangement:

4) In your PM 3.6 build, navigate to projectm -> pf -> menu2. Set aside the sc_selcharacter.pac file into another location for now, and drag the newly rearranged sc_selcharacter_en.pac to this folder. Rename it to "sc_selcharacter.pac". Now start your build.

Once you go to the CSS, you're going to find a big mess. This is what my rearranged roster turned into:

"What in the world happened?" Like I mentioned, the CSS icons in CSSO do not correspond to their actual in-game placements at all. So now what we need to do is go back to CSSO and open the .pac file once again.

5) We need to figure out what character icons correspond to what character in-game, and arrange the slots in CSSO accordingly. Yes I know, this isn't very fun. But if you really want to rearrange your CSS, this is how. I strongly recommend taking screenshots of what the roster looks like in CSSO and in-game, and have them open side-by-side to help figure out who goes where.

During this step you may need to test your build a few times to make sure each character is in your desired place. I'd say this is the most difficult step of this whole process; I hope it isn't too overwhelming.

Going back to the initial arrangement CSSO presented us with, here's an image showing what some of the character slots correspond to their actual in-game slots:

I don't know why the icons in CSSO don't correspond to the in-game arrangement at all. It's mildly infuriating, but alas.

6) So after some time you finally have your arranged roster. Congrats! For an example, here's what I have:

Not the same exact thing I was working with earlier, but you get the idea.

[NOTE: If you wish to keep 3.0's background and CSPs, you're free to go. If you desire 3.6's background and CSPs, we must keep going for a little longer.]

7) On your desktop, create a blank folder called "AnmChr(NW4R)". In BrawlBox, open the rearranged sc_selcharacter.pac you have in your 3.6 Build, then navigate to MiscData[30]. Export the contents of the AnmChr(NW4R) folder to the new folder of the same name you made on your desktop.

(Note: The exporting process for folders isn't the same as exporting a .pac file. You must export the contents of MiscData[30], not the .brres itself, via Extract All to a separate folder. Then take every .CHR0 file and move those to the blank AnmChr(NW4R) folder on your desktop.)

MiscData[30] contains the files for the CSS background. The Anm(NW4R) folder contains the information storing the CSS arrangement. Hope you're still with me.

8) Remember the 3.6 sc_selcharacter.pac we placed aside earlier? We'll be using that again. Open that up in BrawlBox, then in MiscData[30] delete the existing AnmChr(NW4R) folder, and replace it with the folder on your desktop with the same name. Save, then exit BrawlBox. Place this file into your 3.6 Build, deleting the one currently there. Start up your build, and your CSS should now have 3.6's background.

Congratulations, you've rearranged the CSS! I hope. Dear lord this was a mouthful to type, I hope someone finds this useful.

(And yes, I am aware this is also possible via editing RSBE01.gct, but only a few seem to know how and there aren't any guides floating around. So until that field progresses here's the alternative method.)

EDIT: It seems that the little icon for changing stock/time on the CSS gets a little misaligned during the process. I'm looking into it, and I hope it's not too unplayable.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Very well-written and cleanly formatted. +1—I don't hand out those out all too often, so there's that.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Bump. Made a notable discovery, being able to directly edit 3.6's CSS with CSSO. Title and OP updated. devnew devnew I think you'll like this new tutorial.

Very well-written and cleanly formatted. +1—I don't hand out those out all too often, so there's that.
Thank you. Not a fan of confusing tutorials, so I try my best.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Bump. Made a notable discovery, being able to directly edit 3.6's CSS with CSSO. Title and OP updated. devnew devnew I think you'll like this new tutorial.

Thank you. Not a fan of confusing tutorials, so I try my best.
Yes looks real nice. Now I can organize my screen with all these psa's and such.
Thank you for this Tutorial ill use it.

Last edited:

Phikicheli

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phikicheli
Amazing tutorial! Have been looking for something like this for forever! Thank you! One question, i can't select anyone below about half way down. Any idea why? thank

Tyy581

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tyy581
Hmm, when does this happen? And also this only works with PM 3.6, not PM + BrawlEx.
This happens when I open Brawl Minus's sel_char. I don't believe that Brawl Minus is using BrawlEx.

Tyy581

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tyy581
Ah okay, I was just needing something so I can rearrange the CSS for it. I can't find Roy and Pichu' hex codes either, and I don't know how to find them.

Mullkaw

Smash Rookie
This may make the re-arranging easier, but I'm not too sure if it's all correct
In the CSSO, the pictures dont' match but I think the character positions can be used to position the characters instead
This number is found in the upper-right side after Item:
Here's what I think the positions are

pos01= Wario
pos02= Mario
pos03= Luigi
pos04= Peach
pos05= Bowser
pos06= Yoshi
pos07= DK
pos08= DD
pos09= C.Falcon
pos10= Wolf
pos11= Fox
pos12= Falco
pos13= ICs
pos14= Zelda
pos15= Sheik
pos16= Link
pos17= T.Link
pos18= Ganon
pos19= Mewtwo
pos20= Lucario
pos21= Pikachu
pos22= Jiggz
pos23= Squirtle
pos24= Ivysaur
pos25= Charizard
pos26= Samus
pos27= ZSS
pos28= Lucas
pos29= Ness
pos30= Pit
pos31= Kirby
pos32= MK
pos33= Dedede
pos34= Ike
pos35= Marth
pos36= Roy
pos37= Olimar
pos38= R.O.B
pos39= Mr. Game & Watch
pos40= Snake
pos41= Sonic
pos42= Random

SG69

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4038-6883-1141
For whatever reason, whenever I save in CSSO after rearranging my CSS it never saves? (I'm using a clean install of PM3.6) I know for a fact that I have changed the compression format as that's the only thing that changes when I use Brawl box. Any ideas?
Thanks for your great tutorials btw Solaros
Edit: I got it to work now! I was using the wrong version of CSSO...

Last edited:

Allec145

Smash Rookie
Can someone help me when it comes to the CC build with the leaked characters? I'm trying to just remove sami but it's been a nightmare. Especially with the random coming in the middle of two other characters... plz help...

Top Bottom