• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(UPDATED)THE DOCTOR'S CHECKUP: A Doctor Mario Advanced Tactics how to play video

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I've been working on a video that shows the moves visually of what Cyphus explained in his guide. It also includes details and instructions on how to perform them and a few things of my own in there. I finally finished it and the video is below. The video is a total of 10:40 minutes of nothing but demonstrations and information on how to perform certain moves with Doctor Mario. This video is meant for people with basic knowledge of the advanced tactic's terms (you can watch it anyways too :)). My two brothers DaShizWiz and KeepSpeedN helped me as being my opponent and whatnot but all of these demonstrations are performed by me. Enjoy. I hope you learn something >_>':

NOTE: Please watch the entire video!!

Doctor Mario Demonstrations performed by: SmashMac
Video Editing by: SmashMac
Playing the opponent: DaShizWiz and KeepSpeedN

Explainations for each move are from Cyphus
Check out his
"Not to be taken Orally" Doc. Guide v5.0

For a Combo video by me entitled, "The Medic Man", click
the previous link for the thread.

For a link to the Doctor Mario character matchup thread, go here:
"Doc. vs. the World (of Nintendo)"

*All that follow are the updated video's link*
Video length = 10:40 minutes

The Doctor's Checkup for YouTube
Link - The Doctor's Checkup

The Doctor's Checkup for GOOGLE VIDEO
PS - Not great quality but you can watch it faster ^^

The Doctor's Checkup for RapidShare (instructions for RapidShare are at the bottom)
PS - Better Quality and you keep the download of it but it takes a while

The Doctor's Checkup for FileFront (instructions for FileFront are at the bottom)
Note - Another source for keeping the Download
PS - Better Quality and you keep the download of it but it takes a while

Instructions for RapidShare Downloading:
1.) Go down to where it says "Free" and click that button
2.) For the next page, go down to where you see that seconds are going down from probably somewhere around the 30s - 40s
3.) Once the seconds go down to 0, a text box should appear.
4.) Near the text box should be a few letters in different colors
5.) Type the letters exactly as you see them in the text box and then press "Enter"
6.) Your file should begin downloading

Instructions for FileFront Downloading:
1.) Go to where you see an orange button that says "Download Now!" and click that button.
2.) You may have to wait a bit but when you see the link that says "click this link", click that link to begin your Download.

Last edited:

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
hahah. dude that was awesome. I'll admit better than i thought. lol ^^

I love the music. and i like how you worded everything out before showing cuz i was thinking that someone wanting to learn doc can just Pause it right there and take notes, haha.

The chain grabbing scenes were nice, and i LOVE when it goes "STOP"....*DOC PUNCH* Hammer time" XD too sexy.

i think this should be stickied, personally, its very useful for starting docs and even ones w/ experience to see how things should look.

PTP FTW!!

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
ur vid came out really good!! im glad that it came out at the right time, ive just recently switched from mario to doc and tryin to get used to him, got sick of the only kill move, but its sadly missed since it was my fav

the chain grabbing and the pill canceling was def what i needed to see

great job by both u guys

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Thanks guys.
Cyphus: Thanks for everything man, including your help on advice on the vid. Glad it turned out this good :). Yea the Hammer time punch thing was perfect. I noticed that too lolz.

Coin Chaser: Thanks man I appreciate it. Hope you learned something.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
aweosme video...the other guy in my crew has a great doc, and he's going to **** when he see's this. good job man.

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
Hey this is freaking awesome, I can't wait to see this when I get home. I'll comment on the vid later.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Yeah this is an awesome vid, my brother did a great Job on the video. Thanks for helping him out Cyphus. You helped make the vid a success.

Overall: The vid Pwns.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Wow, that's pretty impressive Smashmac. Probably one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-follow instructional vids I've yet seen. Props to you; this should be a godsend for anyone trying to pick up Doc.

The only thing I thought was weird was that you were doing d-throw chaingrabs on Falcon and Fox; they've got to be at around 90+ % for that to work comfortably, I think. . .I thought u-throws usually work a lot better.

You should have put in some Captain Jack shffl'd u-airs -> up-angled f-smash combos; that combo sequence is hot stuff. :chuckle: Good job on the vid, though. Very nice.

h0l1c

Smash Cadet
this vid is effing great, but i cant seem to be able to double jump after a SH bair or WD from a SH bair either, do u have to l-cancel or sumthing?

also when i am ledge jumping with pills or any airs he doesnt cancel and grab the ledge, is there sumthing im missing here? o.o this is frustrating

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
In both cases, you're not doing b-air or firing the Pills/executing aerials fast enough.

To SHABAWD properly, you have to short hop, and do the b-air as fast as possible while you're rising. . .basically, slide your right thumb from the jump button to the A button ASAP. Same goes with edge-cancelled Pills/aerials.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Thanks guys :). Lolz to maelstrom that would've been cool. Maelstrom beat me to answering your question h0l1c XD. Oh yea Maelstrom, it was at high percents that I was doing the d-throw's on Fox and CF btw :). Good stuff.

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
Holy **** SmashMac, that video was awesome. It looked professional and everyhting was explained very well. I even learned some new stuff. I wish this video was around when I first started playing Doc, LOL.
Good stuff man, Props to you and your bros for helping you out. Oh yea, and finally you got some good music. LOL. We have to record some doc dittos and stuff when I practice with you guys again.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Lolz thanks Metal_Doc. Yea hopefully my vid. will stay alive for a while for enough people to watch it. I really think it can and will help a lot of people (that's what I intended for it to do).

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Wow...this thread should definitely be Stickied...my brother put a lot of work in this...and this seems to be very helpful to others.

Gea

Smash Master
Pretty sure the dthrow chains start at like 70% on the FFers. anyways... I'll edit this after I watch it.

Okay. Really nice. Though I have a few suggestions in case you wanted to maybe update it slighty and release a final version. Though this one was pretty **** good.

- Add drillgrabbing
- Perfect wavedashing
- Explain that Dair shouldn't be FFed/ Don't FF fair as soon as you can.
- If you wanted to be more in depth, try to add some rough %s for the chainthrows
- Try to edit out the clips of you not getting something.
- PILL RUSH/ staggering pills!
- Maybe some dthrows to fair
- Jab -> grab/dsmash
- Explain how to jc grabs
- The fact that you can actually sweetspot farther out from the edge than most things hit -- using his snap.

Some of the things I listed of course aren't as good. But at least add in pill rush if you ever intend to update it :O

Either way... nice.

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
wow this vid is awsome lol thanks cyphus alot for helping $mac out :) and gea i think right? for your opinoins on making the vid full

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, I actually wanted to make this myself, but I don't have the proper stuff for it. Props to you again, its great.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Gea said:
Yeah, I actually wanted to make this myself, but I don't have the proper stuff for it. Props to you again, its great.
Thanks Gea for all of your advice on a "possible" update (Maybe someday I'll make a part 2 lolz) and your comments :). Thanks to everyone else as well :chuckle:

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Great video man. It helps out alot to see these things performed visually instead of just reading it. Very nice job. I don't see how the thing could've been done better, besides probably naming the certain percentages at which u can chainthrow oppenets. Still a fine piece a work. Keep it up.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I know a lot of people want this to be stickied in the Doc forum, but the problem is that this thread itself is for a video and thus belongs in the Video Discussion forum. So, I will be moving it there. But to provide a little compensation, Cyphus's guide already includes links to this thread, and I added a little note in the title to point it out.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
Nice video! You covered a lot of ground.

Last edited:

actionlen

Smash Journeyman
Nice it helped me man, i always wondered how to juggle and now i can practice it.
THANKS

(you should be pill rushing in it though.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
Awesome, I'm just starting to pick up Doc because he's pretty cool if you don't abuse that ghei cape. This'll help me get better with him, thanks.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
No problem guys I'm glad it helped you all. Also, thanks OmWiiGamer for the info. and I guess moving the thread as well.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Wow. This vid is gold. You pretty much accomplished what the "advanced how to play" topic has taken months to do, and based it on a character.

Really great stuff $Mac.

9/10

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Apply the MegaVitamin tricks to your opponent. Isn't that pretty much pill-rushing :confused:. You're going to perform the moves according to how you play, regardless. There are not really specific ways of performing sequences of pill-rushing. Everyone pill-rushes differently, whether it be place-boing, Decoy Vitamins or etc.. Use you're own creativity and just apply what you know for now ;) (not trying to sound like a douche bag).

If infact in the future I do make some sort of update, I'll be sure to add in pill-rushing :chuckle: for those who would like to see it. Thanks for the advice on that ;).

Mav

Furries For The Win
I can't get it. FileFront is being gay. Just let me know when it's on Google Video or You Tube.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Well I've updated the first page with a rapidshare host as well now. So so far I've got Rapidshare and Filefront.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Since people are wanting Percentages for CG'ing and whatnot and Pill rushing, I've decided that I will make an update soon. For now, please learn from and watch the current version ^^.

Top Bottom