• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UPDATED: My Project: M v2.5b build. With optional character textures.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Complete with competition friendly custom stages, music, and optional custom character textures.

The custom character textures are optional!

The character textures are included in a separate download from the rest of the build.

This update comes with more songs, better stage-appropriate songs. It also has a few stage additions and stage texture changes. Be sure to check them out.

A few changes include a new stage over Rainbow Cruise, and Temple is making a reappearance by moving one of the custom stages from it to Pirate Ship.

There is even more music, check out the new Pokemon 2 songs for sure.

[collapse=Installation instructions]
Installation instructions for the base build with no character textures:

• Download the v2.5b hackless nowifi zip file
    Drag and drop the contents of the updated_v2.5_Hackless_nowifi.zip file onto a 2GB SD card. Due to the size it will need to be 2GB, sorry.
    Please be aware that this will not have custom character textures. If you want the custom character textures, read further.
Instructions for installing custom character textures to the build:
Instructions if you want custom characters but Project M's default stages.
Instructions if you just want to use my custom music on the original Project M 2.5b build

• Download the v2.5b hackless nowifi zip file
    On your Project: M SD card, go to \private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\
    Delete the "sound" "info2" and "menu2" folders.
    Open the v2.5b_Hackless_nowifi.zip file you downloaded and go to \private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\
    Replace the deleted "sound" "info2" and "menu2" folders on your SD card with the three folders of the same name from my custom build.
    Defrag your SD card, once finished safely remove and enjoy!
[/collapse]

[collapse=Stages and Music]

[collapse=Battlefield]
PM 2.5 Streamfield (wifi safe)

Music (Click name to listen to the song)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Final Destination]
PM 2.5 Blue Night Final Destination (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Dracula's Castle]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Metal Cavern]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario Circuit]
Bowser's Castle

Please note this stage, created by splat, is still a work in progress. If you experience any issues with it, please let him know on this thread.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Rumble Falls]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Hyrule Castle]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pirate Ship]
Floating Island

[/collapse]

[collapse=Norfair]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Frigate Orpheon]
Frigate Orpheon 2nd transformation

[/collapse]

[collapse=Yoshi's Island (Brawl)]
Map is unchanged

[/collapse]

[collapse=Halberd]
Daytime Halberd (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Lylat Cruise]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pokémon Stadium 2]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Saffron City]
Green Hill Zone 2.5 (w/moving top platform)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Castle Siege]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Warioware]
Night at the Roxbury Warioware

[/collapse]

[collapse=SSE Jungle]
Torvus Bog (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Smashville]
Gardenville (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Fourside]
Project M Fourside (w/moving platform)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Summit]
Project M Summit

[/collapse]

[collapse=Skyworld]
Palace of Twilight (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Kongo Jungle]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Fountain of Dreams]
Map is unchanged

[/collapse]

[collapse=Flat Zone 2]
Project M Yoshi's Island 64

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pictochat]
KC MM's Grand Stadium

[/collapse]

[collapse=Shadow Moses Island]
Project M Mushroom Kingdom

[/collapse]

[collapse=Green Hill Zone]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Yoshi's Island (Melee)]
Map is unchanged.

[/collapse]

[collapse=Jungle Japes]
Nighttime Japes 2

[/collapse]

[collapse=Onett]
Project M Mewtwo Stadium

[/collapse]

[collapse=Rainbow Cruise]
Techno Base Zone

[/collapse]

[collapse=Dreamland 64]
Map is unchanged

[/collapse]

[collapse=Big Blue]
Ancient Battlefield

[/collapse]

[collapse=Brinstar]
Geothermal Plant (w/moving platform)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pokémon Stadium]
Unova Stadium (wifi safe)

[/collapse]

Menu Music
The Splendid Performance - Final Fantasy X
The Prodigy / Stand Up (edited)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Custom character textures]

These are optional, I have a separate download with instructions for installing these.

None of my character textures change the functionality of the character it's a texture for. They have all been tested to make sure they work. The exception to this is ROB (Who's Awesome-O and Wall-E skins have slight animation issues which don't break functionality, I kept them because he doesn't really have any skins).

Here is a full list of my character texture changes

And here are some image examples of some of them:

[collapse=Bowser]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Captain Falcon]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Charizard]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Dedede]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Diddy Kong]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Donkey Kong]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Falco]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Fox]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Ganondorf]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Ike]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Ivysaur]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Jigglypuff]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Link]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Lucario]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Lucas]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Luigi]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Marth]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Ness]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Peach]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pikachu]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Pit]

[/collapse]

[collapse=ROB]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Sheik]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Snake]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Sonic]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Squirtle]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Toon Link]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Wario]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Wolf]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Zelda]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Zero Suit Samus]

[/collapse]

[/collapse]

A lot of issues can be resolved by defragging your SD card. Here's a tutorial on how to defrag a drive in windows. Just substitute hard drive with your SD card, it works exactly the same.

Please respond to this thread if you have any questions.

Disclaimer: All of the character/stage textures have been created by various users at Brawl Vault or Smashmods, thank you for your awesome work guys.

Chrisu

Smash Cadet
That's awesome, thank you for that! :) (And for posting it on reddit so i could find it)

I love all the character modesl you collected!

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Holy hell... so many imports...
Hehe, yeah, writing up the post took a bit of time. I didn't even include all the character models that I added to the optional character textures portion. In that, with the exception of the default texture (the original color of each character), each other color has been retextured.

I just took two examples of textures I used per character. There didn't seem to be much interest in the character textures, judging by when I posted a previous version of this build last time. A lot of the responses I got were that my character textures were a bit too eclectic for ones taste. I had to explain that the character textures were optional. Hence the very large, bright, red text in this thread :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Do you have a download to just the new stuff? So we dont have to redownload the entire game if we dont need it?

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I don't. The music in my pack accounts for over 1 gigabyte of space.

If I wanted to have both individual music files, and music files already included in a .zip file that you could just drag-and-drop to play for simplicities sake, I'd have to upload that in its entirety. I just didn't see much advantage to it. I apologize if that's inconvenient for you.

With that said the 220 mb Project M build, is a very small portion of the 1.21 gb of my total build (custom characters withstanding).

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
That's awesome, thank you for that! :) (And for posting it on reddit so i could find it)

I love all the character modesl you collected!
Thanks, I'd post on more sites if I knew any other places Smash players frequent.

Those character textures I have posted showcase less than half the character textures I have in the optional character texture pack, see the full list here.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
My friend and I have actually done an extremely similar project, we even have the same hacks a couple of times. I've worked on most textures (except earth bound and metal gear) and he has worked on music and stages. No one can beat him when it comes to music. Granted, he is the genius; I'm just an idea guy. Would you like us to send you what we have? :3 Maybe I can help in my own way. I have downloaded some great tournament legal textures. :D
Our project was to make a slightly improved 2.5 with tournaments in mind. Tournament legal stages, textures, and some nice music. If you know how to work the common files, that would help a lot. Granted, he is very very busy and my knowledge comes in evaluating, ideas, rating textures, and putting in good textures.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Sure Generically Epic, I'd love to check out your PM 2.5 build. If you have some place to host it, I'll grab it and check it out.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by work with the common files, unless you literally mean the common.pac files located in the system directory.

hojunc

Smash Rookie
When you ediitted the character textures, did you just edit common5.pac and the pcs files?

Mecha Panda

Smash Rookie
So, I've experimented with a bunch of different character textures and character portraits (while keeping the ones I really liked from your build). With that said, are there some sort of extreme restrictions regarding the common5.pac file (in the 'system' folder)? I ask because, all of a sudden, my Wii now freezes whenever I try to select Lucario.

I've made sure to keep the .pac file size @ or below yours, and I've kept the portrait aspects (height/width, format, level of detail) consistent for each character, including Lucario. I've also tried without any custom Lucario textures, to no avail. If I'm doing something wrong, I have no clue what it may be.

Mecha Panda

Smash Rookie
So, I've experimented with a bunch of different character textures and character portraits (while keeping the ones I really liked from your build). With that said, are there some sort of extreme restrictions regarding the common5.pac file (in the 'system' folder)? I ask because, all of a sudden, my Wii now freezes whenever I try to select Lucario.

I've made sure to keep the .pac file size @ or below yours, and I've kept the portrait aspects (height/width, format, level of detail) consistent for each character, including Lucario. I've also tried without any custom Lucario textures, to no avail. If I'm doing something wrong, I have no clue what it may be.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice

If it freezes as you hover over Lucario, you might have placed a portrait (CSP) of Lucario that's larger than 128x160. I accidentally did that once and the game froze whenever I tried to select a character.

If the game freezes after you've chosen him and the stage, it's something wrong with the character file in the fighter directory. So try making sure that all looks proper.

Either way, try defragging your SD card, that sometimes alleviates issues.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Original posted updated with the new v2.5b build, plus additional content. Please enjoy, leave a message here if you notice any bugs or if you just want to leave some love, it's much appreciated.

AWE_Adam

Smash Rookie
Bozeman, MT (And Los Angeles, CA on occasion!)
Calabrel, I hope you had a wonderful time at Apex :)

This build is REALLY popular with my friends, and my 6 year old son loves it because of skins like Wall-E and Spiderman. It's like a whole new game to him, and now he is always begging to play ProjectM because of your build :)

I can't wait to try out this new and improved build!
I tried pulling your files over 2.5b... I didn't experiment with it too much, but I think that the bug fixes they tried to implement with characters were overwritten by your files that I pulled from your 2.5 build. I think it's likely too complicated to update things myself, so I'll probably just wait for you to put things together when they release new updates.
Either way, thank you so much for putting this all together! It really enhances the experience, and is done so in such a way that you can still get the base ProjectM experience (using the base character skins, for instance) without feeling like it's an over-the-top mod. The stages you replace are the generally gimmicky stages currently in ProjectM that aren't really viable for my group of friends, who favor tournament style 1v1 sets when we get together. The stages you replace/add tend to be really good choices and allow almost all maps to be viable tournament legal selections.

Have you considered a Goku skin for Lucas? My friend keeps begging for one, and I've been thinking that would definitely be a good fit.

I'll play through each stage and song carefully... Despite being so eclectic, you and I seem to have very similar video game favorites.Occasionally I reach songs that may be appropriate to the game that the stage is based on, but not necessarily for a smash battle. I know I can turn off songs manually, but I'll try to get my notes together and send some ideas your way when I have some time. I'd love to bounce ideas off of you.

Again, thank you very much for putting this together. Your build is the first opportunity I ever had to see the various Brawl mods in action and has brought a ton of amusement for myself and those close to me.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Thank you AWE_Adam, it's posts like that that make it all worth it for me. I'm so happy to have been able to make your enjoyment of Project M a better experience, which is saying a lot with how amazing it already is.

With v2.5b being out I doubt I'll have to do another data update for a while, but content tweaks will of course be updated periodically, and I'd love to hear some suggestions.

I'll have to look into the Goku for Lucas, remember, I didn't create any of the textures myself, I got them all from Brawl Vault, so I'll have to make sure there is a usable version of Goku, anything that has a PSA modification is no good, because it would change the functionality of the character it's a texture for.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll have to look into the Goku for Lucas, remember, I didn't create any of the textures myself, I got them all from Brawl Vault, so I'll have to make sure there is a usable version of Goku, anything that has a PSA modification is no good, because it would change the functionality of the character it's a texture for.
When they do that they have two files in a .zip, a moveset file (.pac) and the texture to go along with it (.pcs). They developed a moveset to go along with the texture: so usually the texture is still Wifi/Replay/Tournament safe (Anything more than recolors shouldn't be in tournaments though IMO) given you just don't replace the P:M moveset file with the one they give you. Like any vertex texture though with a moveset included or not, can be fooled around with (renaming bones for no reason) to desync Wifi/change gameplay.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
The files are called hackless, is this the full version or the other one?

EDIT:

What I meant to ask was, can this be converted to use homebrew or Riivo?

Also I tried getting the everythingbutcharactertexture pack, but an error came up. Something about a volume disc needed. Any idea what it could be?

Hopefully these questions don't sound as dumb as I think they do. xD

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
just wanted to thank you for collecting all of these sick textures, your effort is appreciated d00d.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
First off, This build is fantastical and magical in all sense of it. I really appriciate you making this and putting it onto reddit because I wouldn't have known about this kind of thing otherwise.

Second, I really like the majority of your textures and such but I've changed a couple of them and what i'm having a problem with now is the portraits for the CSS. I don't know what folder that stuff is under so that I can change them.

IE.: I got rid of Green Zelda on zelda and replaced it with Princess Midna and Skyward Sword Impa on Shiek.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
The files are called hackless, is this the full version or the other one?

EDIT:

What I meant to ask was, can this be converted to use homebrew or Riivo?

Also I tried getting the everythingbutcharactertexture pack, but an error came up. Something about a volume disc needed. Any idea what it could be?

Hopefully these questions don't sound as dumb as I think they do. xD
Sorry for the slow reply on this, I haven't personally used homebrew myself, but a user on reddit posted this and it seemed to work for the person asking about homebrew:

1) Acquire both the files for vanilla 2.5b (homebrew version) and for Calabrel's build.

2) Transfer "apps" folder from vanilla 2.5b to Calabrel's build (same location where the "codes" and "private" folders are).

3) Delete "boot.elf" from Calabrel's build.

4) Enjoy.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
First off, This build is fantastical and magical in all sense of it. I really appriciate you making this and putting it onto reddit because I wouldn't have known about this kind of thing otherwise.

Second, I really like the majority of your textures and such but I've changed a couple of them and what i'm having a problem with now is the portraits for the CSS. I don't know what folder that stuff is under so that I can change them.

IE.: I got rid of Green Zelda on zelda and replaced it with Princess Midna and Skyward Sword Impa on Shiek.
The file that determines the CSS is located at: \private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\system\common5.pac

You have to open this file with a program called Brawlbox.

Once you have that file opened with Brawlbox, navigate to: sc_selcharacter_en > char_bust_lex_lz77 > MiscData[#] > Textures[NW4R] > MenSelchrFaceB.###

The MiscData won't actually have a pound in the brackets, but each number represents a different character.

[collapse=Numbers corresponding to characters]
00 - Mario
01 - Donkey Kong
02 - Link
03 - Samus
04 - Yoshi
05 - Kirby
06 - Fox
07 - Pikachu
08 - Luigi
09 - Captain Falcon
10 - Ness
11 - Bowser
12 - Peach
13 - Zelda
14 - Sheik
15 - Ice Climbers
16 - Marth
17 - Game and Watch
18 - Falco
19 - Ganondorf
21 - Metaknight
22 - Pit
23 - Zero Suit Samus
24 - Olimar
25 - Lucas
26 - Diddy Kong
27 - Pokemon Trainer
28 - Charizard
29 - Squirtle
30 - Ivysaur
31 - King DeDeDe
32 - Lucario
33 - Ike
34 - Rob
36 - Jigglypuff
37 - Wario
40 - Toon Link
43 - Wolf
45 - Snake
46 - Sonic
[/collapse]

After that, you can right click one of those MenSelchr... files and click "replace" and then find the image file you want to use as the CSS. Keep in mind the dimensions of the image file needs to be 128x160.

I hope that explains it well enough, I kind of just did it on the fly, there is surely to be more help in the Project M workshop thread here on smashboards.

TimeScape

Smash Rookie
First off, I want to say that I VERY much appreciate you gathering this build! I modded my Wii within the past year and am just starting to get the hang of doing things like this (thankfully, I'm tech savvy).

I followed the instructions to a tee for using JUST the custom skins and portraits (I found the folders on my own but the same principles applied even though they were in a different location). I booted using Riivolution and Project M runs fine, and the portraits load flawlessly...but the skins are just the normal colors. I am defragging as we speak but figured I would make a post now to open up my questions. Any help on why replacing the folders worked completely except for the actual skins? Thanks a ton!

I'll follow up on if defragging helped or not!

Edit: Totally joined just to get in on this build. THAT is how impressed I am. :D

TimeScape

Smash Rookie
Ok, update. Defragged. Didn't help, BUT (and I don't know if this worked before the defrag or not) when testing it with random CPU, Sackboy Squirtle worked. So needless to say, I am VERY confused. The game runs fine, and all of the portraits seem to work, but most of the time skins default to color swaps originally placed in the game. Would really love to get these working.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, it is bizarre. The portraits and the actual skins are in completely different folders, so that doesn't surprise me. The sackboy skin working and not any others does confuse me a bit. Did you just download the skins/portraits and overwrite the original Project M files? I'm thinking that if you did that, it might not have wrote over the other files, like the folders didn't merge properly. I usually like to delete the entire folder then move the replacement folder from my build onto the memory card.

If you deleted the folder entirely before you replaced the folder with the one from my build, and it's still doing this, I'm honestly stumped, only thing I could recommend is downloading again and starting from scratch.

PS: Thanks for the kudos, I'm very happy you've enjoyed it so far, I hope we can get this issue fixed for you.

TimeScape

Smash Rookie
Update, got it working! Turns out after some Googling and combing through other forums, I found out that cards higher than 2GB don't play nice with skins. I dug out a 2GB SD and tried it with the Homebrew method, worked like a charm. So now I have my 16GB SDHC card reserved for a Riivolution boot of the normal Project:M. Hope this helps anyone else with a high capacity card whose found themselves stumped. Thanks for the response! :D

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
I use Riivolution with a 16gb SD card and was able to get the character textures, portraits, and music working with the help of this thread. Have yet to get the stages to work, but it may have just been the stage I was trying to put in.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Question. I have that same Diddy Kong character texture (the Dixie Kong one) but I noticed that it screwed up some of Diddy's hitboxes. Like, his downtilt and downair don't hit with nearly the range they're supposed to. I tested it multiple times, switching back and forth between the Dixie texture, and the default Diddy one. The texture is definitely the culprit. Is yours perhaps a different version, or does it have the same issue? If yours works fine, is it perhaps that you have a pac file? Because the one I downloaded only had a pcs.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Is there a particular cause for the Mewtwo Stadium stage over Onett freezess when it tries to load the victory screen?

The stage itself worked fine up until "GAME!"

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I haven't seen tyhis mentioned so I might as well throw this out.
Several of the Wario skins have weird animations and tyhe grab pummel does not cause damage or any effect. I mainly noticed it on the lord crump and eggman skins, no pummel damage and down theow had weird trajectory.

Kati

Smash Lord
lol what's this about wavedashing stages and textures? I'm very confused. PJB, it sounds like Dixie has renamed bones (possibly to animate the hair.? (I don't have that hack, so I wouldn't know)). Back on smashmods, I had a thread that attempted to classify character mods as being tourney legal, and quite a few popular ones such as "melee remakes" have the same issue.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Some of the textures suck but amazing job none the less on compiling these for the many of us who arent on the up and up with texture hacking. Your thread inspired me to get some textures and work on my game. Found zero and master cheif for snake. Must say its pretty awesome.nice thread.

Top Bottom