• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATED* Kill Set Up with Pikachu (and other misc.)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
So.... aside from the absolutely useless debate on whether Standing, SH, FH jolts are better, let's try to get back to the topic at hand: Killing. Not building damage, killing.

I've noticed that I build up damage too fast and miss the Up-Throw->Thunder combo sometimes. I've been compensating for this by trying out D-Throw->Thunder, which works decently. It doesn't seem as reliable, but it's an extra option to consider.

I've also noticed that a lot of the times when Up-Throw sends up someone past Thunder, they're often at a high enough damage that just a well-placed dash attack can kill them. I think the real key to killing with Pika is remembering what to try to kill with if one of the usual setups don't work.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
So.... aside from the absolutely useless debate on whether Standing, SH, FH jolts are better, let's try to get back to the topic at hand: Killing. Not building damage, killing.

I've noticed that I build up damage too fast and miss the Up-Throw->Thunder combo sometimes. I've been compensating for this by trying out D-Throw->Thunder, which works decently. It doesn't seem as reliable, but it's an extra option to consider.

I've also noticed that a lot of the times when Up-Throw sends up someone past Thunder, they're often at a high enough damage that just a well-placed dash attack can kill them. I think the real key to killing with Pika is remembering what to try to kill with if one of the usual setups don't work.
I addressed the problems you have been facing in my post. Read my suggestions for throws.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
Hi all, UK Pikachu here. I've realised like most that Pikas kill setups aren't as strong as it was in Brawl, but I have some suggestions and warnings!

Killing suggestions:
Throwing someone off stage, stalling with thunder so low recovery is forced, waiting for the moment your opponent grabs the ledge then ledge trumping them, getting straight back up on stage and either sit in shield and if they try recover high they'll be aware of thunder so either wait for airdodge or trail them with Uair.
Otherwise if they try recover low the moment your back on stage charge dsmash for the moment they regrab and gimp them with Dsmash. If they survive you can try reforce the situation resetting the invincibility frames again and jumping back on with thunder.

QA ledge cancelled Bair/Fair - works a charm for most recoveries which can't stall like Diddys or Sonics

Fast falled Fair to Usmash - works on Sonic and little mac who I'm pretty sure equally have the fastest jabs in the game.

above 160% if you hve your opponent in the air move about half the distance of QA 1 from your opponent, QA past them, then back for QA 2 the moment your opponent lands and ususally they'll DI the direction of QA 1 which has set up for perfect stationary thunder > spike > sweet spot

Warnings - Pikas jab gives anyone who has a frame 3 jab frame advantage off jab recovery so if the person sees you jab cause it no longer has brawls disjoint you'll be vulnerable to taking a free jab combo (not worth the trade IMO), only use to push off the edge!

Orion*

Smash Researcher
-dead- @ the op saying to pummel 2-3 times when people are at 0-40%.
between that and the grab release fsmash "setup" i feel like you're just going for a lot of non consistent options. being like hey i can smash whatever they do after grab release by reading it, is essentially the bad version of throwing someone, learning to space and limit their options by using your positional advantage and character tools to their full potential. This forces your opponent to make decisions where many times there isn't really a good option, and instead of it being a very janky rps it forces your opponent to read in order to stay alive, with his best initial option being to reset to neutral.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Warnings - Pikas jab gives anyone who has a frame 3 jab frame advantage off jab recovery so if the person sees you jab cause it no longer has brawls disjoint you'll be vulnerable to taking a free jab combo (not worth the trade IMO), only use to push off the edge!
this is good to know

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
lol wow looking back at the videos I made, it's embarrassing and none of it was impressive. I am much better now lol. I guess this is a very good beginner's guide at best.
I updated some stuff on my suggestions.
For those who are new to Pikachu, though there are some examples of using Thunder very very safely to edgeguard in the videos i made back then. You can go much deeper and be more aggressive. Whether the opponent recovers high or low, Thunder is no joke.

Examples:
Thunder gimping Low Recoveries:
http://instagram.com/p/yLxCfoonQb/?modal=true

Thunder gimping High Recoveries:
http://instagram.com/p/yLy3LzInSd/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/yS3AmUonen/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/yOTNJSonTA/?modal=true

B-air is ridiculously strong as well. Like I am so much priority it's not even funny.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
That low recovery thunder is a terrible idea lol, I ended up getting spiked when I tried this vs Lucina. Stage tech, spike D:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
That low recovery thunder is a terrible idea lol, I ended up getting spiked when I tried this vs Lucina. Stage tech, spike D:
Marth/Lucina's Up-B hitbox is on the front, go farther behind them for better spacing. With good timing + invincibility frame it's not so terrible. If all else, learn to tech

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Marth/Lucina's Up-B hitbox is on the front, go farther behind them for better spacing. With good timing + invincibility frame it's not so terrible. If all else, learn to tech

No, I didn't get stage spiked, The Lucina teched the stage and spiked me is what happened lol. It wouldve been fine if she went the other way

Last edited:
Top Bottom