• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

SoN1c2001

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for aiming me in the right direction, the format for the .png was set to "CMPR" to default instead of "I4". I also had to make a new .png since the one provided didn't match up to the other fighter names.

The font is called "GENIUNE" for those interested!
You're welcome! I found out about this by setting it to CMPR as well.

Last edited:

GoldMario777

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to add Shadow Mewtwo as a clone of Mewtwo, and I'm having this issue:
New CSS Icons show up properly, but cause a soft crash both when attempting to enter a match or leave the CSS screen after selecting them:
If the game experiences a soft crash (the game endlessly loads, and can still access the Home Menu) both when you try to enter a match or leave the CSS, then either the Fighter Configuration for the slot is missing or one of the resources for the character is missing from you patch directory. Open the Fighter config file in the BrawlEx Config utility and make sure you have all the files shown in the bottom list inside your patching directory.
I can't find what's wrong in my build, I have all of the required files.
Leaving my build here for someone to look at it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn2r2k49kseoi10/sd.zip?dl=0
Hex ID is 77 (119)

Edit : Did everything again from scratch and got it working!

Last edited:

KingBobbyG1223

Smash Rookie
So, I'm trying to make a Kirby clone. In the module editor, he doesn't have a section[8]. What do I do?

Omnija

Smash Rookie
Thank you for this guide, it's been quite informative and very helpful.

Last edited:

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Besides boss soundbanks, you can also use the soundbanks of CoinLauncher and the Subspace enemies (Deathpod, Spar, etc.). Not a whole lot of room to work with there, so using boss soundbanks is easiest. Here's a list of boss soundbanks:

As for an actual number of clones, I'd say you can get away with about 12 clones with their own edited soundbanks. (May or may not include the mods shown in that table.) Although making a soundbank for a clone isn't the easiest process...
Which Shadow PSA are you referring to here? There are a ton of them.

Last edited:

Emperor_Koala

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I used this guide to add Goku over Pit as a character, and I ended up with a strange result. For some reason, the icon appears as the random character icon, but unlike in the FAQ, the icon doesn't crash my game when I hover over it. Instead, the CSP is just a huge block of static, and I have no idea what caused it. Even still, the character can actually battle without crashing the game. It's just the CSS that I'm having problems with. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, for some reason BrawlExConfigUtility doesn't allow me to edit the CSSRoster.dat file. The program works fine to edit this file on another computer, but for some reason, it crashes on my current computer.

Last edited:

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I used this guide to add Goku over Pit as a character, and I ended up with a strange result. For some reason, the icon appears as the random character icon, but unlike in the FAQ, the icon doesn't crash my game when I hover over it. Instead, the CSP is just a huge block of static, and I have no idea what caused it. Even still, the character can actually battle without crashing the game. It's just the CSS that I'm having problems with. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, for some reason BrawlExConfigUtility doesn't allow me to edit the CSSRoster.dat file. The program works fine to edit this file on another computer, but for some reason, it crashes on my current computer.
I would advise checking your .pat0 entries.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to add a shadow to my build and everything works perfectly on the CSS and he works properly when loaded into a game. The problem is when I attempt go to the results screen the game crashes. I don't think my .pat0 files got corrupted because when i look at them in brawlbox they look fine. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Last edited:

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
I want to add a moveset to my PMEX build, but it has no special fall animation. How do i add/create one?

Shren

Smash Journeyman
I want to add a moveset to my PMEX build, but it has no special fall animation. How do i add/create one?
That has something to do with the PSA and the moveset not having that. PMEX files have little to nothing to do with animations.

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know what causes the game to crash on the strap screen? Everything looks fine on the SD card.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Does anyone know if there are individual codes for PMEx for usage with other codes/builds? I.E: Cobalt Legacy, infinite, LXP, Alm5252, Project Ganondorf?

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Does anyone know what causes the game to crash on the strap screen? Everything looks fine on the SD card.
Could be an issue with a file "Strap_en.pac maybe without the "en", or also, I've learned that:

-Info.PAC is too large
-Added codes to Ex builds gives me launching issues
-.THP movie intro files have also froze up my Wii

Last edited:

64BTX

Smash Rookie
Is there a guide on how to add a character with their own custom moveset (or how to make a custom moveset in the first place) somewhere? I think the process is similar to this guide, but this one seems to focus more on clones than "new" characters.

SoN1c2001

Smash Rookie
That's how it works. You can add in new characters using this method and they can have new original movesets.

64BTX

Smash Rookie
That's how it works. You can add in new characters using this method and they can have new original movesets.
Are there any tutorials on creating original movesets for the current version of PM? I've only seen simply adding the moveset files to a character.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Are there any tutorials on creating original movesets for the current version of PM? I've only seen simply adding the moveset files to a character.
Here's how I like to cheat:

-Get Brawlbox
-Get character in-game files (Fit[InsertBaseCharacter]MotionEtc.pac, and Fit[InsertBaseCharacter].PAC (most of these you can find already in Vanilla Project M).

Open your character's model in Brawlbox (color doesn't matter as Americans like to say), Load up the Fit[Whateveryourcharacter]MitionEtc.pac in and select which animation you want to edit.

Export the animation you want to work on (make a backup). From here you can either play around with the already edited animations by moving the bones, or make the first and last keyframes both '1' and then set the duration of your animation in the last keyframe (after they're both set to one) 60 frames=1 second. And simply go to the half mark of the animation I.E: 30/60 and position the movement half mark of the animation. Work from there for polish.

It's all a bit hard at first because I was like you starting out, but PM me and I'll run you down the process. These forums may not be on the proper topic for this discussion.

HTX

Smash Rookie
how do i change the thing in the green circle

can someone please tell me PLEASE

Last edited:

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
how do i change the thing in the green circle

can someone please tell me PLEASE
Open 'CosmeticConfig.dat' located in /BrawlEx/FighterConfig folder in HxD Editor. You can literally erase the name and replace the line of text.

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
If anyone could help, I set up a sonix clone with a specific color order in the hex editor, but the 4th costume loads the original, blue is green, and green loads the 4th. As far as I though I read it all correctly!
00 00 03 01 01 02 07 03 09 04 08 05 04 06 02 07 0A 08 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
this is the codeset I used
Any help would be appreciated

Edit: I fixed the second set, but now blue loads 4th and 4th still loads red
edit 2: Its just the blue alt I need left! 0103 is the code but it just doesn't cooperate

Last edited:

DicedyPoke

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3007-9442-6348
Soo, if you don't mind me asking, is there a way to reduce the file size of, well, a character portrait, icon, stocks, etc.? Because I made some myself for BrawlEx, and their file sizes are much bigger than the other pictures.
Example:
Yoshi's Icon - 3.36 KB
My Icon(s) - 16.3 KB

And if you're wondering, I am using GIMP to make these.

Catalycsm

Smash Rookie
+if anyone here could assist me in adding characters to an already made build would be greatly appreciated

SuperOnion64

Smash Rookie
I need help, When entering a match, the moment when it says go, it freezes my Wii, does anyone know how to fix it.

HTX

Smash Rookie
Open 'CosmeticConfig.dat' located in /BrawlEx/FighterConfig folder in HxD Editor. You can literally erase the name and replace the line of text.
the problem is that i am doing this in legacy te so there is no brawl ex folder or fighter config

Dignalrump

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4958-2165-7592
On my CSS, the character's slot is Waluigi for some reason and the game crashes as soon as I highlight the slot. I'm using a Tabuu psa that is a clone of ganon. Any ideas?

Zeldor

Smash Rookie
Issue about starting pm + ex. Gecko thinks there is 7808 lines of code in the GCT file included. Anyway around this?

Edit: Nvm I figured it out

Last edited:

Tamalito°

Smash Rookie
Hi there! I know this post is kinda old, but i've been trying to mod my dolphin version of LegacyXP which uses PM+BX, I've been wanting to add characters to my version but I always (and with different mods) seem to have the same problem, everything works right at first, my character appears on the selection screen, their csps display and work right, but everytime I load a stage to start a match (with any character and stage) the game freezes loading. I have checked the info.pac and the module of my character and everything is fine, I hope it's not a dumb question and that you can answer to me soon, Thanks =)

NaCl#1908

Smash Rookie
this guide loses me when I'm instructed to alter Face06, as there is no such tab within my sc_selchar. why?

cdokk13

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have the specific codes that are used to go from PM to PM+Brawlex (just on the level of what occurs in the gct file). I would like to add brawlex to a custom build of mine and I don't want to start from the template.

heckling0

Smash Rookie
My character shows up as random and crashes even though I have the bx_fighter and common2 files

Top Bottom