• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Can someone else confirm a glitch where I select the Awakening Roy recolor and default Roy comes out instead? The .pac files and aesthetics are still the right Roy but it just doesn't load the right one.

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
Can someone else confirm a glitch where I select the Awakening Roy recolor and default Roy comes out instead? The .pac files and aesthetics are still the right Roy but it just doesn't load the right one.
open up the fighter config and make sure all of the boxes from 0-9 are checked

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Thanks that worked. Not sure why that wasn't set already but whatever.

Guess I'll make sure none of the other files are like that.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
i did a quick ctrl f check to see if this has been answered so im not sure if i missed something

Basically, I'm trying to add the PM 3.6 Ridley mod to my build via PMBX, and when I open up the pit module supplied by the .zip, the Section[8] file is missing. When I try to make my own, it's completely empty. Any help? The process is working just fine otherwise.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
i did a quick ctrl f check to see if this has been answered so im not sure if i missed something

Basically, I'm trying to add the PM 3.6 Ridley mod to my build via PMBX, and when I open up the pit module supplied by the .zip, the Section[8] file is missing. When I try to make my own, it's completely empty. Any help? The process is working just fine otherwise.
You need to remake the module using the EX modules in the PMEX, since they're edited to work with PM. The edited modules have Section[8] in them.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
You need to remake the module using the EX modules in the PMEX, since they're edited to work with PM. The edited modules have Section[8] in them.
Ah, I figured it was my module. I'll go get one from the PMEX modules file.

edit: got the mod working fine, and on hackless too!

Last edited:

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Hey I read the troubleshooting regarding that the game freezes upon selecting the CSS Icon. I just finished dealing with all the CSS/BP's/Stc's and character files for a Lucina mod that I downloaded. I used Marth's rel file as well as his templates as a basis. The game just freezes upon selecting her. Heck I even have her CSS portraits properly compressed. I also have the latest common2.pac and the proper module for Lucina. It just keeps freezing. In fact, I've replaced the module over and over and renaming it and assigning her the appropriate hex value and it just won't solve the problem. Please help.

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Hey I need help. I'm having trouble adding my Lucina to my build. Everytime I attempt to highlight her, game freezes. I know there is a troubleshooting case for this but I believe my case is a little different. You see, I tried replacing the module for Lucina (a marth module [by the way I did give her her proper hex value {7E}]) to get it loading but it doesn't work. In your third case, it says the module could be corrupt. But I just recently downloaded the PMEX build. Am I supposed to download the entire build again? I also did properly compressed her portraits in the sc_characselect pac file. Literally, I checked more than three times and I just think it's the module. For now. I tried even the CSSSlot but it's just fine (I gave her 10 recolors and coded it accordingly so). The module of Marth I used was of v1.1, presuming this is the latest version, I don't understand how I could have that module corrupt. Am I missing something?

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Smash Boy. Just letting you know: you're not supposed to double post, but seeing as you're a "Smash Rookie" like me, I assume you didn't know.

[QUOTE="Smash Boy, post: 21370910, member: 366651" "The module of Marth I used was of v1.1, presuming this is the latest version, I don't understand how I could have that module corrupt. [/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

P.S. Could someone tell me how to fix the quote???

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Hey, Smash Boy. Just letting you know: you're not supposed to double post, but seeing as you're a "Smash Rookie" like me, I assume you didn't know.

[QUOTE="Smash Boy, post: 21370910, member: 366651" "The module of Marth I used was of v1.1, presuming this is the latest version, I don't understand how I could have that module corrupt.

[/QUOTE]Heheh, I'm not sure I want to say. Your admitting to being a rookie, followed immediately by an error (that everyone makes, I've done it before) is too hilarious, I don't want you to fix it, heheh.

At the closing quotations, of Smash Boy's information ("Smash Boy, post: 21370910, member: 366651"), it looks like you've accidentally cut off the right bracket.

...Well dangit, it's messed up my quote too.

Last edited:

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
How many characters can be added? I've put in 8 so far, and in the PMEX Character Adding Tutorial the guy says the maximum the file size can go is from 1210-1290. That's only 8 characters. Can it go further?

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
I am still in need of assistance. My CSS is fixed, sort of. All CSPs and icons are working (deadpool is fixed) except for the fact that they're all tiny. Is there any way to make them larger without deleting characters? (Note this happened when increasing my roster from 50 character slots, including random, to 51 character slots.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Any update on fixing Mr. G&Ws rapid jab? I feel like it's a significant problem with BrawlEX if all the standard characters aren't working properly.

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet

[QUOTE="Smash Boy, post: 21370910, member: 366651" "The module of Marth I used was of v1.1, presuming this is the latest version, I don't understand how I could have that module corrupt.

[/QUOTE]

Long story short; I forgot to name them correctly in the menu2 sc_selchar file. Sorry for the spam. Lol

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet

Heheh, I'm not sure I want to say. Your admitting to being a rookie, followed immediately by an error (that everyone makes, I've done it before) is too hilarious, I don't want you to fix it, heheh.

At the closing quotations, of Smash Boy's information ("Smash Boy, post: 21370910, member: 366651"), it looks like you've accidentally cut off the right bracket.

...Well dangit, it's messed up my quote too.[/QUOTE]
See my reply to All things gaming. It was a naming problem. This was long ago, I just had a lot going on after that and didn't have time to look at my replies. Sorry.

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
I am still in need of assistance. My CSS is fixed, sort of. All CSPs and icons are working (deadpool is fixed) except for the fact that they're all tiny. Is there any way to make them larger without deleting characters? (Note this happened when increasing my roster from 50 character slots, including random, to 51 character slots.
Yeah that's probably what happens when over 50 characters are added. That is still being worked on.

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
This can be a lot simpler, actually - I'm pretty sure only MenSelchrFaceI needs to be changed. The others can actually be deleted (from 3DModels, AnmChr, AnmClr, and AnmTexPat) to save on space.

The different faces are for the sizes the CSS icons can be, shrinking as you unlock more characters. If you have 42+ characters, you're always going to be using MenSelchrFaceI.
Hey Solaros asked this but: does deleting the entries from A to H help also to add 50+ characters? Or do you need something else? Is there a way to add more than 50 characters without the CSS being glitchy like being tiny as someone else here claimed?

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Smash Boy Smash Boy Seeing as you're a rookie, I can sort of understand why you'd make a rookie move such as posting 4 times in a row. Please keep to only posting one post at a time. You could've combined all 4 of those posts into one nice package. It helps keep the thread cleaner and more compact.

Thanks!

PS This happens to everyone at some point, don't sweat it ;)

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Smash Boy Smash Boy Seeing as you're a rookie, I can sort of understand why you'd make a rookie move such as posting 4 times in a row. Please keep to only posting one post at a time. You could've combined all 4 of those posts into one nice package. It helps keep the thread cleaner and more compact.

Thanks!

PS This happens to everyone at some point, don't sweat it ;)
Sorry about that. I just thought it be much faster replyi

Our new fighter still needs their stock icons in-game and on the results screen. They also need battle portraits (BPs) and result screen portraits (RSPs)! Let's go add them, starting off with...

v0.2 - v0.3: private -> wii -> app -> RSBE -> pf -> menu -> common -> char_bust_tex
v0.4+: projectm -> pf -> menu -> common -> char_bust_tex

In the char_bust_tex folder you'll see files like MenSelchrFaceB120.brres, etc. As you can probably guess, these are each fighter's RSPs that show on the results screen. While you can make your fighter a new .brres in BrawlBox, I prefer just copy & pasting an existing .brres. [4.1]

So we have a new .brres in the folder and renamed it appropriately, in my case being MenSelchrFaceB1220.brres. Let's open this in BrawlBox, and in the textures folder you'll see the RSPs you need to replace with your fighters'. Go ahead and replace them, deleting/adding as you please, while naming each RSP accordingly. Once done, exit out. That's about it for RSPs!

Here's my example:

v0.2 - v0.3: private -> wii -> app -> RSBE ->pf -> info -> portrite
v0.4+: projectm -> pf -> info -> portrite

In the portrite folder you'll see files like InfFace010.brres, etc. Yep, these are the fighters' BPs that show up in-game with franchise icons, % indicators, etc. Whether made in BrawlBox or copied from existing BPs, get your InfFace1221-1225.brres files ready. You'll be opening these up in BrawlBox and replacing them with your fighters' BPs. Having replaced RSPs and CSPs previously, this process should be similarly straight-forward. [4.2]

v0.2 - v0.3: private -> wii -> app -> RSBE ->pf -> info2
v0.4+: projectm -> pf -> info2

Remember the process we did back in step 1, with editing .pat0 entries? We'll be doing this two more times, although not to the extent of earlier. Stay strong, we're almost there! This time we'll be adding in stock icons for both in-game and the results screen, starting with in-game. [4.3]

With info.pac open, navigate to the Textures folder in MiscData[30]. Let's add our fighter's stock icons in here, naming them accordingly. Just a little heads-up for stocks:

1) From experience, only CMPR format has cooperated. I recommend that.
2) Stock icons must be 32x32 pixels, otherwise the game will crash or something.
3) The positions of stock icons in the folder don't need to be chronological, but it does look tidy and organized. And I assume you all are tidy and organized!

After you get your stocks in and named properly, collapse the Textures folder and expand the AnmTextPat folder. We'll be changing the InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0 and InfFace_TopN__0.pat0 entries for Stock Icons and Battle Portraits respectively. Let's start off with InfFace.

Heads-up: As with sc_selcharacter.pac, the info.pac file has a file size limit of 550 Kb. Don't exceed this! BrawlBox also loves corrupting these .pat0 entries, so make back-ups every time you edit them!

4.31 - InfFace_TopN__0.pat0

Expand this entry -> Character Name_Mat -> Texture0. Like before, you'll see another list of fighter names. Add a new entry for your fighter and name it accordingly, changing the FrameIndex to 1221 as well! Once done, collapse InfFace_TopN__0.pat0 and change its FrameCount to 1231 on the right hand side.

Note: I believe by this point you get the gist of what to name your fighter's entries. I'm just going with 122(x) for my demo, so I hope that doesn't get confusing.

4.32 - InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0

Expand this entry -> lambert87 -> Texture0. You probably know what to do by now, I'm so proud. Let's add in our fighter's stock entries, change their FrameIndex's, and change InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0's FrameCount to 1226.

Unlike other .pat0 entries we've edited, InfStockFace's FrameCount must be literally 1 unit higher than your number of stocks. Since Metal Sonic here has 5 stocks ranging from InfStc.1221-1225, I would enter 1226 as the .pat0 entry's FrameCount. Once done, save then exit.

v0.2 - v0.3: private -> wii -> app -> RSBE -> pf -> stage -> melee
v0.4+: projectm -> pf -> stage -> melee

Fairly similar process to the last step. The stock icons you're looking for will be found in MiscData[120], in Textures(NW4R). Once you get your fighter's stock icons in there and named accordingly, proceed to MiscData[110]. Then open AnmTexPat(NW4R). We'll only be editing InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0, the same exact way we did last step. I feel like I've covered this before, but this is the last time we're editing .pat0 entries so I'll reiterate. [4.4]

1) Expand InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0 -> stock_lambert87 -> Texture0
2) Either with the CTRL+H hotkey or right-clicking, add in the entries needed for your fighter's stock icons.
3) Name them accordingly (like InfStc1221), then change their FrameIndex to the same number.
4) When done, collapse the .pat0 entry and change its FrameCount to (1+number of stocks). For example, 1226. I just mentioned this last step so refer there.

When totally done, save then exit out of BrawlBox. I believe our build should be good to go at this point! Let's go ahead and run it. Here's a gallery of screenshots showing my demonstration:
CSS demonstrating team colors.

In-game demonstrating Stocks, BPs, and franchise icon. Also Manchu.

Results Screen demonstrating RSPs + Victory Name

Results Screen demonstrating RSPs and Stocks

Congratulations! You've successfully added a clone character to Project M!

Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite action. In this case, playing with the greatness of Project M + BrawlEX comes with a butt-ton of issues during setup. First off, ensure your launcher's (Gecko, etc) hooktype set to AxNextFrame to squash potential bugs. [5]

Shout-out to PhantomWings for including this CSS troubleshooting section in his BrawlEX post. It's helped me out a lot! The following is mostly verbatim, with some parts edited and updated (and noted as such).

New CSS Icons show up as Random and crash when highlighting them:
If an icon is shown as Random and is not intended as the regular random icon, then the icon has not been mapped by BrawlEx. This could mean that BrawlEx is not running. Ensure that both the Module/bx_fighter.rel and System/Common2.pac files included in the BrawlEx package are in your patching directory.

Icons periodically switch between proper icons and crashing Random icons between startups.
If you are using GeckoOS or USBLoader GX and BrawlEx periodically fails to start, go into ensure that you have your launcher's hook method to AXNextFrame.

New CSS Icons show up as Mario and crash when starting a match with them selected:
If an icon shows up as Mario when it is not intended to, then the character slot has not been configured. This could mean that the wrong id has been assigned to the CSS Icon or the BrawlEx config files have been improperly named. Non-configured ExSlots will try to load resources of the pattern Fighter<id>Ex.pac by default. As those files do not exist in the game, they are intended to crash if used.

New CSS Icons show up properly, but immediately crash when selected:
If an icon crashes immediately when selecting it, then the module used for that character is corrupt. Re-download the [proper] module and try again.

New CSS Icons show as Mario, but properly load the desired character when used in a match:
In general, cosmetic data for ExSlots default to Mario for compatibility purposes. An icon showing up as Mario means that the cosmetic data for that [CSS] slot is not configured.

New CSS Icons show up properly, but cause a soft crash both when attempting to enter a match or leave the CSS screen after selecting them:
If the game experiences a soft crash (the game endlessly loads, and can still access the Home Menu) both when you try to enter a match or leave the CSS, then either the Fighter Configuration for the slot is missing or one of the resources for the character is missing from you patch directory. Open the Fighter config file in the BrawlEx Config utility and make sure you have all the files shown in the bottom list inside your patching directory.

New CSS Icons show up properly, but crash only when attempting to enter a match.
If the game crashes only when you try to enter a match, then your fighter's module is likely [incompatible, or the .rel's Section[8] has not been edited to match your fighter's hex ID.]

CSS Icons show up properly, but crash when highlighting them.
If simply highlighting a CSS icon causes the game to crash, then:
1) Their MiscData[xx] entry in char_bust is not compressed correctly.
2) They are missing their character portraits that they are required to show when you highlight them. Or they might have an incompatible format.
3) Their module is failing to load. Perhaps replace it?

[Fighters' names on their CSP have a black blur behind them.
BrawlBox loves corrupting your .pat0 entries. Always make back-ups before modifying them!

My fighter has several excess CSP slots, appearing glitched.
Your fighter's CSSSlot.dat file is missing the 0C 00 string at the end of offset 0x20. This string tells the game that there are no more additional costumes for the fighter.

Game crashes upon loading the CSS.
Your sc_selcharacter.pac has become too fat! Figure a way to lower the file size under 3.79 MB.]

I looked in the Brawl Data Partition, but the fighter I'm cloning over doesn't have any FitFighterDark.pac/.pcs and/or FitFighterSpy.pac/pcs files.
Then you won't need them!

Will be updated.

Game crashes when selecting a stage.
Two likely causes:
1) Your info.pac is too fat! Figure a way to lower the file size under 550 Kb.
2) Also mentioned earlier; something may be wrong with your fighters' module. Double-check the ID you entered in Section[8].

My fighter entering a match will cause (several errors in Dolphin / crashes on Wii), but proceeds like normal until the Results Screen where the game crashes.

Two likely causes here:
1) Your FighterConfig.dat file is trying to load costumes that don't exist. In BrawlEX Config under Colors, only check in the number of costumes your fighter has!
2) Your fighter is missing their FitFighterDark.pac/.pcs and FitFighterSpy.pac/.pcs files in their fighter folder. If the character you're cloning over doesn't have those files in the PM+BX build, retrieve them from the Brawl Data Partition.

Stock Icons show up, but are distorted.

Likely the textures' format; use CMPR!

Game crashes upon Result Screen, or other various graphical errors

Either improper adding of stocks, or BrawlBox has corrupted your .pat0 entries.
Hey I know I posted plenty of times but I really need some serious help with an irritating issue, an issue not even addressed in the guide:

I have this Dark Link from Razanak7 and I set up all his files and templates correctly with their corresponding codings and hex ID (his is 6D). The problem is:The game crashes right before the announcer says GO! after I choose Dark Link. Yes, this is with 51 characters and the CSS looks just fine (yeah it's 'small' but functional and selectable). All the others load just fine. Just Dark Link is the issue. Any ideas what this might be? I also have his compatible module (his is only from brawl version, the PM version didn't work and froze the game before entering a match). Any clues on the cause of this? Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, did you fix it? And if you did, please elaborate as much as possible. I really want this problem fixed now as I tried everything and I'm pissed that I can't find the problem yet after +5 tries.

P.S: I will outright ignore anyone who literally just starts telling me stuff like 'oh you a rookie, don't post multiple times' blah blah. That is not helping. If you feel the need to point this out still, write it in a separate paragraph with a P.S. I'd like some real help, not reminding me irrelevant matters.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about that. I just thought it be much faster replyi

Hey I know I posted plenty of times but I really need some serious help with an irritating issue, an issue not even addressed in the guide:

I have this Dark Link from Razanak7 and I set up all his files and templates correctly with their corresponding codings and hex ID (his is 6D). The problem is:The game crashes right before the announcer says GO! after I choose Dark Link. Yes, this is with 51 characters and the CSS looks just fine (yeah it's 'small' but functional and selectable). All the others load just fine. Just Dark Link is the issue. Any ideas what this might be? I also have his compatible module (his is only from brawl version, the PM version didn't work and froze the game before entering a match). Any clues on the cause of this? Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, did you fix it? And if you did, please elaborate as much as possible. I really want this problem fixed now as I tried everything and I'm pissed that I can't find the problem yet after +5 tries.

P.S: I will outright ignore anyone who literally just starts telling me stuff like 'oh you a rookie, don't post multiple times' blah blah. That is not helping. If you feel the need to point this out still, write it in a separate paragraph with a P.S. I'd like some real help, not reminding me irrelevant matters.
Sounds like you might be using the wrong module. You're using the one that's included in the PMEX build, right? Because if not, brawl modules don't work with PMEX.

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you might be using the wrong module. You're using the one that's included in the PMEX build, right? Because if not, brawl modules don't work with PMEX.
IIRC, I explained that I used the PMEX modules for the Dark Link but doing so only froze the game before entering the match. The one I have currently is from the BEX Clone engine by Phantom Wing. Not the PMEX modules.

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
I figured out the result.pac thing, It's ok. One fun thing I discovered is that if the character doesn't come with a Fit...Final.pac but the moveset has a final smash, there's an easy solution. Just copy the Fit...pac, rename it to Fit...Final.pac, and paste it back in. This works for result.pacs too.

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
Also, and sorry for posting twice, is there any way to give EX Characters a voice?

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
Also, and sorry for posting twice, is there any way to give EX Characters a voice?
There is but you will have to replace it with some other characters or have it share the same soundbank with existing characters. For that, you'll need to fill each characters' empty sound clips with the desired voice clips of your EX character. However, for real success, you'll need to access the PSA file and head to sub-actions; SFX section of each moveset and have each desired move point to the sound you replaced. The ID's, IIRC, are coded the same way they are coded when working on the Cosmetics and Slot templates for the announcer sound effects.

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
OK, I've never done anything like that, so is there a tutorial I can watch/read?

Smash Boy

Smash Cadet
OK, I've never done anything like that, so is there a tutorial I can watch/read?
Yeah you can search on YouTube: PSA-SFX tutorials or go here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=3722.0;wap2

It helps you get to know the basics. Plus it goes into the terminologies and a few techniques to get you to know PSA.

As for just the SFX. You can YouTube that.

Edit: Keep in mind: with PSA, you need to reference the hex value of the desired sound clip. You can use the sfx list provided by this guide. BrawlBox (the earlier versions) only provides the decimal value. Which can be accessed in the same BBox with the BRSAR file for the sound list).

Last edited:

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
IIRC, I explained that I used the PMEX modules for the Dark Link but doing so only froze the game before entering the match. The one I have currently is from the BEX Clone engine by Phantom Wing. Not the PMEX modules.
You must've edited the PMEX module incorrectly. The one provided by Phantomwings will DEFINITELY not work. I'd suggest retrying using the module including in the PMEX build, and if that doesn't work, it's a PSA issue or operator error.

bngmn

Smash Cadet
Hey guys i have a question. i use brawl ex and i have goku, but for some reason his gfx on his final smash don't appear. did i do something wrong? anything i should check?

Wahrrelasse

Smash Rookie
What should I check?
I have 44 Slots in there (I changed it from 43 to add my character)
There are Petey Piranha and Rayquaza, who I didn't put in. Can this be a problem?

jaystring

Smash Ace
quick question or bug report!?

anybody know anything with problems related to a match with a clone character vs his original character!?

specifically Clone Mario vs Regular Mario or Clone Link vs Regular Link or Clone Ike vs Regular Ike (happened to me with all three)

I have a weird issue where if I do a clone match vs regular character,if I keep the clone for the next match, the clone will have his FX missing (no visual for mario fireball or link's blue glow around the boomerang) or his SFX not working (no more sound FX or voice) or both .

anyone got info on that or somewhere it's been discuss!?

maybe it's related to the GFX thing mentionned 2-3 post before? (I'll check it out to be sure)

Thanks!

Shren

Smash Journeyman
quick question or bug report!?

anybody know anything with problems related to a match with a clone character vs his original character!?

specifically Clone Mario vs Regular Mario or Clone Link vs Regular Link or Clone Ike vs Regular Ike (happened to me with all three)

I have a weird issue where if I do a clone match vs regular character,if I keep the clone for the next match, the clone will have his FX missing (no visual for mario fireball or link's blue glow around the boomerang) or his SFX not working (no more sound FX or voice) or both .

anyone got info on that or somewhere it's been discuss!?

maybe it's related to the GFX thing mentionned 2-3 post before? (I'll check it out to be sure)

Thanks!
Unfortunately a known issue... Perhaps it could get fixed with either help or an update to this thing entirely.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Unfortunately a known issue... Perhaps it could get fixed with either help or an update to this thing entirely.
all right!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was a known issue.

I couldn't reproduce something like that for Marth for exemple.

I have a feeling it's maybe something in the Exmodule for those characters.

I wish I could fix it but unfortunately I don't know enough about how they work to be able to try to fix this...

Top Bottom