• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UPDATED 12/26!~The Old Melee Texture Hacks Thread~

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
What exactly are .usd files? I've noticed that some textures are in usd-format instead of the usual dat-format. The problem is that there's no file in the ISO that matches that file extention.

Is it alright if I just overwrite the dat-file instead?

Steelia

Smash Champion
What exactly are .usd files? I've noticed that some textures are in usd-format instead of the usual dat-format. The problem is that there's no file in the ISO that matches that file extention.

Is it alright if I just overwrite the dat-file instead?
Depends on your version of Melee. I don't know if PAL has USD... I know regular NTSC version'd Melee have .USD; it's used to distinguish between .DAT (general format, but associated with Japanese language) and .USD (English-exclusive).
When you switch languages from English to Japanese, basically. That's all.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
.usd is file for english language in NTSC, .dat is for japanese language, .ukd for PAL english etc. Usually however there is only .dat file but if specific texture needs to be different for different languages (like main menu screen) every language has own textures. Usually you can't overwrite .usd files with .dat files etc (which makes making custom PAL iso harder) but sometimes you can do it simply by changing name of the .dat extension to .usd extension etc. and then just overwriting the old file. You just need to test that for what textures can you do that and for what you can't.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I dont really consider this one done until the awesome sleepyk (or someone else, im totally uneducated on the matter) has found the offsets for bodyglows so i can make popo completly black, but here it is in the meanwhile

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0M1MTVPE

Just a small correction yin is female, yang is male so Popo should be white, and nana should be black. Just a small mythos detail nothing to big or worth correcting.

Other wise that is awesome stuff.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
My first texture hack is done!
It is a new design for default Fox.
Here is the outcome, "ground mission Fox":

I changed practically every part of Fox's clothing completely, using textures I created in Photoshop. I slightly changed the color of head, tail and arms and gave them more contrast and a sharper texture to fit to the newly added parts. The developers made quite blury textures, but I don't like blury textures, so I tried to change that.
Hope you like it!

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, I didn't. I actually changed my plans on the design after the tcs already had been done.
However, I will maybe change it to green costume. ^^

`DNS`

Smash Lord
oooh thanks DNS I'll edit that. Btw those look pretty sick, can you make a Dark Sheik texture?

hmm okay, i'll try to make that sometime
i have a lot of school work to do right now though, so it might take a while [/didn't read past page 5 of this thread]

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hatacatan.... your military Fox is SICKKK AS ****KKKK!!! good **** :D

too bad you had to use neutral color though... cuz neutral color fox is always going to be black-and-white silent wolf fox on my disc :P

DarK LinK -X-

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****, he gave Fox fingerless gloves. NICE!!! If you make this texture to replace his green costume, than I'll use this one over my own green Fox I made. XD

Nice ****ing work one that Fox Hatacatan. =P

Rog

Smash Rookie
Both those fox's are SICK!!!!! I definitely want that army looking fox as green fox. I like that orange fox, I would want him as red color if possible.

nube

Smash Apprentice
Hatacan's ground mission fox re-hexed into PlFxGr.dat (green fox)
Download

Lol I can't decide between majin fox and ground mission fox. Two DBZ fox characters is pretty epic.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Ah, thank you for doing that work for me, nube.^^
I will probably make something for Ganon next.

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
i made a fire mario changed to brown costume

post it?

i made too a c.falco helmetless

post it too?

Rykard

Smash Ace
Some blue skin, please. There aren't any blue skins for ganondorf, really. Just skins that aren't team-friendly.

:D
we have captain ganondorf i believe on steelia's which i am content with. I would suggest a green ganon or a green falcon since there are no actual green colored costumes that go over either of those. Obviously people were hype about the green ranger but no one found it. And i suggested Cell for a ganon hack a couple pages back or in the hacks thread which i think could be cool

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
i making this textures

For Jiggs.... ??? (is a surprise)

For falcon... Majin Falcon( Majin vegeta)

For Ganondorf... Devil Superman

For Marth... Dante (devil may cry)

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I made a partner [thread=288042]audio hacks thread[/thread], partly inspired by this thread. Check it out if you have the time/inclination.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have a new texture (well, actually two) finished up.

White Mage Zelda / Sheik - Download

Textures are named PlZdWh.dat and PlSkWh.dat when you open up the download, meaning that they replace Zelda's/Sheik's purple/white outfit.

P.S.: The OOS (out of sight) texture parts have also been modified during the texture development.

smakis

Smash Ace
talking about oos textures, why can't I edit nanas? even more puzzling how come she even has them? she is never visible oos iirc =D

Steelia

Smash Champion
Awesome-looking pack there, Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, not bad White Mage transfer at all... Very fitting, of course... mostly for Zelda, haha.

talking about oos textures, why can't I edit nanas? even more puzzling how come she even has them? she is never visible oos iirc =D
Ripped those from the .DAT files, since I enjoy being thorough. :p
Yeh, you don't need to edit Nana's OOS textures (unless she's the lead and Popo is the back). Just supplied them for kicks.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Is there an easy way to switch a character color to another one?
Like if one was made for Green Fox (PlFxGr?) but I want it for the Red Fox (PlFxRe?) instead. There are a bit of skins that I like but would rather have it replace another color.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Haha, nice textures there, RuKeN. Falco doesn't look half-bad lacking the helmet. :p

Is there an easy way to switch a character color to another one?
Like if one was made for Green Fox (PlFxGr?) but I want it for the Red Fox (PlFxRe?) instead. There are a bit of skins that I like but would rather have it replace another color.
Yes............ but, it all depends on the character.
For Fox, all you have to do is open his DAT Fx file in a hex program, then copy his data from the correct offsets, and paste them in the appropriate spot in another DAT Fx file. He, alongside others like Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, etc. are extremely easy to relocate colors.

Others, like Mario, Peach and the like, are much more tedious, sometimes requiring a total texturing overhaul, since they have those Indexed textures... Stupid Index. <_>

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Awesome-looking pack there, Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, not bad White Mage transfer at all... Very fitting, of course... mostly for Zelda, haha.
Well I had to do a White Mage texture for Sheik as well, considering the Zelda/Sheik transformation capabilities.

You see, in Brawl, whenever I did a texture for Zelda, I would also make a Sheik texture to go with it. This also applies to Samus and Zero Suit Samus, along with Pokemon Trainer, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

However, this doesn't apply to Bowser and Giga Bowser, and Wario and Wario-Man, since not only are their transformations temporary, but ALL the Bowser color slots use FitGKoopa00, while ALL the Wario color slots use FitWarioMan00. Of course, that doesn't mean that I won't make a Giga Bowser variation of a Bowser texture.

Rykard

Smash Ace
speaking of changing textures to different costumes...

is there anyway that the Impa texture steelia made for white sheik could be changed to blue sheik? and also the Midna sheik and zelda to neutral? i want to be able to use both of those and they seem like the most appropriate places for them even though the brawl sheik and zelda are AMAZINGLY detailed so props on those

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
Awesome Ruken, thanks :)!
coming soon i will create a fire mario for yellow color(him textures will are Brawl mario(Nr) Lario(gr) fire marion(ye) fliying mario(bk) an for blue i making shadow mario ^^)

for c.falco

i change the head

the blue replace for red, the eyes will are whites and of red of eyes will are black

and i will intent put a circle, but only the circle no converts in egg or other rare form xD

P.D: good white mage M&SG, rulz(i think... is power red ranger sheik xD)

nube

Smash Apprentice
Sweet texture M&S G, I've been a fan since Gold Suit Samus.

Ruken those look awesome too! :)

About the whole costume-colour change thing, something that seems to work (for only a few characters) is to simply scroll to the very end of the initial and target colours, and copy/paste the last few lines of data, IF THEIR OFFSETS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

Not that good of a solution tho, since it only works on costumes with the exact same file size (for example, this works with lots of captain falcon and mewtwo colours)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
P.D: good white mage M&SG, rulz(i think... is power red ranger sheik xD)
Not quite. Like I said earlier, my Sheik texture is a White Mage variation of Sheik to go with my White Mage Zelda texture. The outfit is different from the traditional White Mage outfits, but it's not like all White Mage outfits are limited to just dress robes.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
hey, I don't know if you guys take suggestions..... but I was wondering if anyone could make a final destination with a blood red outline (I've seen a final destination with the light blue and that was cool but I was thinking blood red would be hott :bee:) Thanks!

Top Bottom