• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Update 3.0 Discussion

Sparky08

Smash Rookie
The way they are treating this update (Calling it a 3.0 update, not telling what it contains) makes me think that it will be more than just a balance update and it will add some more content
So what do you want to be added/think will be added?
Personally i would love the addition of more unique costumes (Like Meta Ridley etc.) or the return of stage builder but with the ability to choose the background of any existing stage.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Joker and balance changes. That's all I'm expecting. Anything more will be extra, but it almost certainly won't be anything as massive as a whole new game mode.

That said, it's worth noting that there are 6 empty slots on the stage select and only 5 confirmed DLC levels, so either there will be another DLC level released by itself, or maybe they'll just be lame and make the last slot a random button. A stage editor would be nice but it's doubtful.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Joker and balance changes. That's all I'm expecting. Anything more will be extra, but it almost certainly won't be anything as massive as a whole new game mode.

That said, it's worth noting that there are 6 empty slots on the stage select and only 5 confirmed DLC levels, so either there will be another DLC level released by itself, or maybe they'll just be lame and make the last slot a random button. A stage editor would be nice but it's doubtful.
They're only empty if you think they're aiming to fill out the rectangle. I'm sure that's not a huge priority for them.

And there's already a Random button on stage select.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Two things can happen for the sixth empty stage square:

They can do what they did for Smash Wii U and include bonus stages and the Stage Editor

Or it could be JUST Stage Editor stages.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
They're only empty if you think they're aiming to fill out the rectangle. I'm sure that's not a huge priority for them.
Given that there are 5 confirmed DLC stages coming and that I don't think they've had an OCD-unfriendly character or stage select in a Smash game to date, I think it's a very sound conclusion that there will be one more button we don't know about yet.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Given that there are 5 confirmed DLC stages coming and that I don't think they've had an OCD-unfriendly character or stage select in a Smash game to date, I think it's a very sound conclusion that there will be one more button we don't know about yet.
Which part of these are OCD-friendly?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
There's nothing particularly outlying about those. Brawl's is symmetrical and Melee's is in multiple sections, each of which is symmetrical. Symmetry is OCD-friendly. I think that's a far cry different from having just one spot missing in an otherwise complete selection screen.

Melee had those two character slots missing but at least it was one on each side. It would have been so much worse with just one of them filled and no graphic in the last one.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
I want it to have a big balance patch for all the weaker characters especially, some changes like with stage select (a lot of people have mentioned this. I also don’t like that you have to re-choose your character every game when you play offline), and more options in the control settings (like being able to toggle on and off short-hop aerial tech).

Last edited:

Qualk

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
BOARD THE PLATFORMS!!! xD

Seriously though, I think they'll add Joker, his music and stage, Stage Builder, Home-Run Contest, Persona related spirits, and a slew of balance changes.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I want it to have a big balance patch for all the weaker characters especially
I can't begrudge the devs too much for being hesitant to make big balance changes yet, as the character balance is still so heavily argued. We don't even have a tier list from the Back Rooms yet. I guess I'm not allowed to ask what the progress on that is?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
I can't begrudge the devs too much for being hesitant to make big balance changes yet, as the character balance is still so heavily argued. We don't even have a tier list from the Back Rooms yet. I guess I'm not allowed to ask what the progress on that is?
You’re correct. I probably should’ve been more specific than “across the board” as meaning a large chunk of the cast. The majority of the cast could wait a bit to see further results/opinions, but I would say that there are definitely a few that obviously need some changes as of now. You’ve probably heard me go on and on about Ryu since you’ve been active in my posts, but Ryu definitely needs many changes I could name off the top of my head. Ken basically is just plain better in multiple ways and there are some things that don’t make sense contrasting between the two. One thing is that their N-airs have different active frames (with that Ryu has the short end of the stick). Other characters that I think could take immediately changes are like Shiek, Kirby, Mac, etc.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You're the first person I've heard speak about any of these characters, which speaks for the lack of consensus among players of this game.

Wasn't Bowser Jr. the character everyone agreed was near the bottom of the list? The only ones extreme enough that I've seen a solid consensus for high placement are Pikachu, Olimar, and Peach/Daisy, but Peach/Daisy seem to more an argument of potential than actual results yet, so it's hard to quantify what could be changed.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm expecting new modes because of the censored images in the teaser.

Of course those censored images could've been there for absolutely no reason/they're trolling and all we'll get is Joker and balance changes.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
not much on either modes, hoping there is something interesting in smash world

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I want them to undo the nerfs given to King K. Rool and Palutena in update 2.0 since those nerfs really hurt KKR's KO potential and made Palutena's neutral game very frustrating

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
It'd be nice if they could throw in more music
Of course, the OST is massive as it is but a few series were sadly looked over
I wouldn't expect remixes or getting the rights for third-party music: just straight up rips from Nintendo series that could be added in with relatively little cost

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
It'd be nice if they could throw in more music
Of course, the OST is massive as it is but a few series were sadly looked over
I wouldn't expect remixes or getting the rights for third-party music: just straight up rips from Nintendo series that could be added in with relatively little cost
I'm disappointed they didn't use any music from Mega Man Battle Network, namely the main theme.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I forgot about Joker, but him and his stage and probably some ost from his game will be available. I would also like to not have to reselect the fighter I was using every time. That gets annoying. They always keep your fighter online selected when you back out to the character selection. So why did they not do that offline?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
As far as quality of life goes, I'd like it to be possible to set aside cores that have specific uses in summoning (such as Mr. Saturn for Absolutely Safe Capsule, Super Star for Dyna Blade or Geno, or Drake Redcrest for Wonder Red or Geno) in both the level-up menu and the core selection for summoning menu, so as not to waste summon-usable cores on leveling up Spirits or filling generic core slots for summoning. Also, being able to stick with a certain character on character select offline, or change my character while rematching online.

And, of course, I will be very, very disappointed if the rumors of Stage Builder and Home-Run Contest being added to the game are false again... which reminds me that I would also like to be able to save replays from Mob Smash (even though I'm skittish about touching it as long as that Pirahna Plant/Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt save-data erasure glitch goes unresolved).

Arthur97

Smash Master
I still think it's possible we might get a Roy situation and have the second fighter revealed either that day or shortly before and be released.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
And, of course, I will be very, very disappointed if the rumors of Stage Builder and Home-Run Contest being added to the game are false again...
Well, they are rumors for a reason... Unconfirmed.

Without wanting to crush your expectations, I don't think either will come.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Despite my thinking that Home Run Contest and Target Blast are useless, filler modes that are in Smash4 just to give the impression of single player content, that I remember playing 2 times each and never more, cause I see no relevance on them and they look like two browser minigames, I think it would be nice if they return for the people that like them... I really dont care about stage builder, but well.. if they are going to add new modes, and they are not going to release a new Adventure Mode in these small patches, there's no reason to not add missing modes that probably only need some convertion work from the WiiU game, or from previous games like Break the Targets. I would still like to have some new, really cool, game mode. All these I mentioned seems like super cheap additions.

Also, Joker and his stage, and some changes for the multiplayer menu would be nice. Some buttons with default forced competitive rulesets would fix a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
I want them to undo the nerfs given to King K. Rool and Palutena in update 2.0 since those nerfs really hurt KKR's KO potential and made Palutena's neutral game very frustrating
???

K. Rool's KO potential was only nerfed if you somehow relied on downthrow to KO at a really low percentage.

Palutena was not nerfed and her neutral game wasn't changed at all. Nair's animation is smoother on hit is basically all that was changed because the patch notes are a mistranslation. She also grabs ledges more consistently with Wrap so... technically a buff.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that all of the possible new modes added in 3.0 are completely new to the series and not in any prior game.

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
I want to have the nametag we use show up at the result screen, unless we use player 1/2/3/4 tags. In that case it should show the character name at the result screen.
I also would like to see stage builder return, and have the option to turn hazards on and off from the SSS. There was also a (most likely fake) leak a while back saying would be getting a custom costume creator, that would a very nice mode to have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom