• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Update 1.0.4 Released!

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Wow i never realized how Rosalina gets people saltier than Don Juan Lake.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
Based on some Wii U demo sightings, it appears that more than just the Luma's respawn time has been affected. Apparently, the Luma is no longer able to rescue Rosalina if she's grabbed. It's hard to say if this also applies to if Rosalina is dizzy or asleep though.

Bless you, Sakurai.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
The VERY OBVIOUSLY INCREDIBLY MASSIVELY HUGE DIFFERENCE between assists in Marvel and the Luma is that every character has access to assists in Marvel while only Rosie has one in Smash. Your argument is that a universal mechanic = a character-specific mechanic...yeah, it doesn't work. When everyone can call hidden missiles and break free then whatever...when only one character can do it then we have balance issues, bad game design, etc. And the "rules" have already been explained.
Ken&Koromaru, Relius, Carl, and Chang(In some KOF games) sorry for bringing up Marvel(or any active team game) cause that seems to be the only thing you read lol, Those characters I listed all have character-specific mechanics that can be annoying or "unfair".

But really I was just triggered by you mentioning any type of rules that's all.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda hoping they do something with rolls. Like making the invincibility frames decrease each time it's done while increasing over time. Sort of like the shields. 392

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I believe there is a reason she's being nerfed a bit, because obviously there was (and perhaps may still be) a balancing issue (as with all Smash games, but now it seems Sakurai is taking greater interest in this).

Yes, she is your main and favorite character, and that's completely understandable to be a bit defensive, but just remember Meta Knight from Brawl. That wasn't just a matter of "learn 2 character lolz", he was legitimately broken, and people acknowledged it. I believe Rosalina had/has some issues that are beyond individual player skill, as no matter where I go, I find the same discussion.

So while I'm not saying Rosalina is broken per se, I'm just saying there's a reason for so many people to talk about it. I appreciate that Sakurai is trying to make this game more balanced, and if my favorite fighter got nerfed for something, I'd figure there's a reason for it.
Why do people assume I'm doing this because she's my main? This has nothing to do with that. If people were putting this criticism towards Little Mac's super armour, I'd also be saying the same thing, with Rosalina being my "parallel" example.

You know, have you all ever considered the concept of "different characters play by different rules"?

As it's own fighting game rule, puppeteer characters are stronger while in possession of their puppet. People should understand this when facing Rosalina, and adapt to that. Especially since, by very principle, a puppet character is always breaking a rule - bringing a partner to a 1v1.

The "she breaks rules" argument does not hold any water. She's harder to grab when she has her Luma nearby. But she's far from impossible to grab in this state, you still have options against her, and they are not difficult to pull off. Just because it's harder to grab her than an average character (keeping in mind that other characters have anti-grab mechanics), doesn't mean she's broken.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Why do people assume I'm doing this because she's my main?
It's not your fault you main a character that is top tier main and one of the best in the game. I'm yet to say if she is OP or not. I have found evidence to say she is and found evidence to say she is not.

I think this is Sakurai's fault for not balancing her properly.
If you need to play disproportionally better than most or all other characters to beat her then that is broken.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
So many people saying Rosalina is too OP, I haven't had a problem... Although that's probably because I haven't played against many human Rosalina's. I guess I never understood why a certain characters are considered OP, because in both Brawl and Smash 4, the characters people claim are OP I have little to no problems with... Although again, this can be because I haven't experienced many human players that could handle the character well.

the8thark

Smash Lord
So many people saying Rosalina is too OP, I haven't had a problem... Although that's probably because I haven't played against many human Rosalina's. I guess I never understood why a certain characters are considered OP, because in both Brawl and Smash 4, the characters people claim are OP I have little to no problems with... Although again, this can be because I haven't experienced many human players that could handle the character well.
I guess I never understood why a certain characters are considered OP, because . . . . I haven't experienced many human players that could handle the character well.

That's the answer to your question directly quoted from what you said.

PTHsmash

Smash Rookie
I've done a lot of online matches and I don't believe anyone is too strong, at least not yet.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
As a Mario main I really hope Luma can't save her from my grabs anymore, that is just stupid. lol

ThatWolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3238-7660
Do you think they will allow the use of custom moves in for glory with this patch? i am tired of only being able to High presure fluud gust cape and explosive punch bots. Custom mario is amazing, did i mention fast fireballs? allso hello im new here and this is my first post and i feel im more expiernced then a "rookie" but i dont know if thats a fourm thing or literly talking about a players skill but anyways i really hope nintendo makes that change

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I guess I never understood why a certain characters are considered OP, because . . . . I haven't experienced many human players that could handle the character well.

That's the answer to your question directly quoted from what you said.
What I mean is I consider something OP when you can pick them up instantly and always win without fail. And I haven't met anybody who could just pick up a character like Meta Knight or Rosalina and always come out on top, even if they could play them competently.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As a Mario main I really hope Luma can't save her from my grabs anymore, that is just stupid. lol
I think the ironic part is that we've seen the Ice Climbers be able to save themselves from grab games as well. If you grab Popo, Nana can save his hide.

The Luma being able to save Rosalina isn't too different, though the Luma is limited to using only one attack, and it's not one that can guarantee that Rosalina will be freed from the grab.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think the ironic part is that we've seen the Ice Climbers be able to save themselves from grab games as well. If you grab Popo, Nana can save his hide.

The Luma being able to save Rosalina isn't too different, though the Luma is limited to using only one attack, and it's not one that can guarantee that Rosalina will be freed from the grab.
I think it's safe to say some people thought ICs were bs too...lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"As a Mario main"

Mario was one of the characters Luma was a complete non-issue for in relation to grabs. Back throw gets rid of Luma everytime.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
"As a Mario main"

Mario was one of the characters Luma was a complete non-issue for in relation to grabs. Back throw gets rid of Luma everytime.
Yup, I know that, but forget trying to start a combo with dthrow...which is kind of a big deal.

Last edited:

Watulio

Smash Cadet

The ice grabbers had chain grabs AND protection from grabs. As you can see they aren't in the new smash anymore hahahah.

Anyways, lets wait for the update and see how she's changed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The ice grabbers had chain grabs AND protection from grabs. As you can see they aren't in the new smash anymore hahahah.
The 3DS's limitations are pretty much why the Ice Climbers aren't around. It has been strongly hinted that they were working perfectly in Smash Wii U, but the game developers couldn't get them to work in Smash 3DS, and as such, scrapped them.

Watulio

Smash Cadet
The 3DS's limitations are pretty much why the Ice Climbers aren't around. It has been strongly hinted that they were working perfectly in Smash Wii U, but the game developers couldn't get them to work in Smash 3DS, and as such, scrapped them.
Yes I know. I can also imagine they put glorious 8 player mode since the ice climbers are no more, so I'm glad they aren't in smash 4.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yup, I know that, but forget trying to start a combo with dthrow...which is kind of a big deal.
Just separate the two?

Pummel Rosalina to limit Luma's attacks, as he only does F-Air while she's pummeled (which is not effective in this situation)?

Back Throw to desync them THEN do the Down Throw combos?

Mario is actually one of the better performing characters against Rosalina, and not just because grabbing her is a non-issue for him.

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Why do people assume I'm doing this because she's my main? This has nothing to do with that. If people were putting this criticism towards Little Mac's super armour, I'd also be saying the same thing, with Rosalina being my "parallel" example.

You know, have you all ever considered the concept of "different characters play by different rules"?

As it's own fighting game rule, puppeteer characters are stronger while in possession of their puppet. People should understand this when facing Rosalina, and adapt to that. Especially since, by very principle, a puppet character is always breaking a rule - bringing a partner to a 1v1.

The "she breaks rules" argument does not hold any water. She's harder to grab when she has her Luma nearby. But she's far from impossible to grab in this state, you still have options against her, and they are not difficult to pull off. Just because it's harder to grab her than an average character (keeping in mind that other characters have anti-grab mechanics), doesn't mean she's broken.

Of course we have. However, my point still stands, in that she has far fewer weaknesses than the rest of the roster, and many people believe she'll be patched a bit in the future for that reason. Game developers aren't perfect but I know they're watching the win/loss ratio of different characters pretty closely this time.

I don't really see why you sound so closed-minded about the concept of balancing issues, which are pretty prevalent in any fighting game out there. You can't 'adapt' to something that was designed to trump everything else - again, think of past Smash games. Every single one had balancing issues, and because some characters were so unbalanced, you couldn't "adapt".

I don't particularly care about Rosalina in general; mostly just what she represents. I just want you to understand that issues exist in this great big world of videogames, and it's normal, and they'll either be A) fixed or B) stay broken, but it is and was definitely a thing.

As an aside, I really appreciate that Smashboards doesn't seem to devolve into petty name-calling like so many other forums, though. This is unusual and rather nice to experience. :D

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Of course we have. However, my point still stands, in that she has far fewer weaknesses than the rest of the roster, and many people believe she'll be patched a bit in the future for that reason. Game developers aren't perfect but I know they're watching the win/loss ratio of different characters pretty closely this time.

I don't really see why you sound so closed-minded about the concept of balancing issues, which are pretty prevalent in any fighting game out there. You can't 'adapt' to something that was designed to trump everything else - again, think of past Smash games. Every single one had balancing issues, and because some characters were so unbalanced, you couldn't "adapt".

I don't particularly care about Rosalina in general; mostly just what she represents. I just want you to understand that issues exist in this great big world of videogames, and it's normal, and they'll either be A) fixed or B) stay broken, but it is and was definitely a thing.

As an aside, I really appreciate that Smashboards doesn't seem to devolve into petty name-calling like so many other forums, though. This is unusual and rather nice to experience. :D
I never said "Rosalina doesn't need to be nerfed at all". Just that removing Luma's ability to grab seems like one of the things that should stay.

Rosalina herself may need a few nerfs as time goes on, though. Her jab is a reliable KO move. Gravitational Pull can send Olimar's Pikmin to the void. Stuff like that I am concerned about. Luma being able to save her from grabs, however, is easy to deal with. The things I listed just now are arguably impossible to deal with (especially the Pikmin thing).

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
I never said "Rosalina doesn't need to be nerfed at all". Just that removing Luma's ability to grab seems like one of the things that should stay.

Rosalina herself may need a few nerfs as time goes on, though. Her jab is a reliable KO move. Gravitational Pull can send Olimar's Pikmin to the void. Stuff like that I am concerned about. Luma being able to save her from grabs, however, is easy to deal with. The things I listed just now are arguably impossible to deal with (especially the Pikmin thing).
My apologies; the way you were talking earlier gave off a different impression. I can concede to that well enough, though I do feel the grabbing thing is still a bit out-there.

Anyhow, thanks for being a good sport. I'd love to play you when the Wii U version comes out!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It should also be noted that it's not confirmed that Luma's ability to grab is being removed at all. In fact, it's looking like it's still there, based on multiple videos of the Wii U version. I just wanted to explain that there are counters to Luma being able to attack you while being grabbed, and I have been victim to them many times being a Rosalina main (more often than I escape grabs). I've also applied them effectively when playing as another character VS Rosalina. And I'm far from the only person with that kind of experience.

I'm fine with the extension to Luma's respawn timer since that doesn't mean much if you are good with Rosalina, but still rewards her opponents that much more if they take out Luma. And it also isn't removing anything unique about the character. But removing Luma's ability to save her from grabs THIS early ("THIS early" being the key part of my point) seems very pre-mature. If it's considered a hugely broken mechanic well into the game's life span, then I will be OK with seeing it go.

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
I hope Sakurai and his team realises that the rolls are too fast and can be spammed. Shield is also too safe.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
buff Gyro please, make it Explode on people when it hits, make it fast, make it stronger, make it so once fully charged it becomes a luma...

but in a more real talk situation, make his back air have less landing lag or... make it so his Body also hits please.
also Down air for less landing lag as well.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I'm almost certain the update will fix an oversight regarding Friend Codes.

After an internet match,you can view an opponent's profile by clicking their character.The comment in their profile would show up.
This comments excepts only 5 numbers to prevent FC sharing but if you alphabatize your FC it does not recognize it.
I posted twice on Miiverse saying this...both were deleted in ten minutes by the admins.I'd be shocked if the devs weren't warned of this.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
If anything they should just patch bugs and gimmik mechanics some characters have. This way we can see where they stand without them and nerf/buff accordingly.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
If anything they should just patch bugs and gimmik mechanics some characters have. This way we can see where they stand without them and nerf/buff accordingly.
As much as I hate game breaking bugs to be patch I would prefer some bugs to stay like wario not knowing how gravity. Its gives the character a whole new dynamic and makes it more fun and interesting to fight and play as. Not to mention it dosen't keep him alive for that much longer.

Now things like chain grabs and metaknights spin of max priority are things I'm happy to see gone.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I think Ganondorf should get thunder stomping back and should be buffed with a long grab reach. Please Sakurai:4ganondorf:
I love Ganondorf and he is my main, but even I have to admit.... He is still probably in the lowest 5 characters of the game. Please buff him. Also, give some nerfs to some of the high tiers like Shiek, Rosalina, and ZSS. Nothing big, just some slight tweaks. Also fix the glitchy characters please Sakurai.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They still are nerfing and it is confirmed.

At this point, it seems like they are focusing hard on unintentional bugs.

Spirst

I hope there's going to be a real changelog or something instead of the countless speculatory "this feels different" comments that are going to be prevalent.

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
RIP bomb cancel
I hope they really changed Link's/TL's zair like people have been claiming.

Top Bottom