• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Smash Edge Guard

"Scorp"

Smash Rookie
I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything.

Not sure if i've discovered it, or everyone knows about it and just doesn't mention it, but thought i'd document it for other newbies like me.

Ness' up-smash is an awesome edge guard, as it can be dangled and charged over the edge of any ledge or platform with proper spacing.

This is excellent for opponents below the stage, or spacies trying to sweetspot the ledge. I believe this could also be used to setup a YYG with good timing.

I made a gif yo

http://i.imgur.com/3hzyyAl.webm

Peléo

Smash Rookie
Yo-Yo is a good option for edge-guarding, I am just not sure if it covers sweetspotted Up-B from below.

I prefer to use it to catch Fox Illusion though, as it cover both Ledge and Stage. Also useful because you can do it out of the running animation.

dan smith

Smash Champion
i do this very very very often. i've seen lots of ness players who have similar styles to me but this is one of the things that i've always been surprised other ness players don't do. it's good against spacies.

if you dangle the yo-yo once a fox will get back 100% of the time though, unless they just don't know what they are doing. against fox yer gonna need to to it multiple times because fox can up-b repeatedly without problem, the range on the up-b is just too good. i will generally do it 2 or 3 times and then try to land a bat. once the fox player starts repeatedly using up-b to try and recover they will often be less precise with their sweet spotting. if you dangle a yo-yo a couple times and then go for an f-smash you will often find the fox player overshooting the ledge and eating the bat.

against captain falcon and falco it's even more disruptive. i don't really use the yo-yo dangle against fox/falco illusion though.

overall i think the yo-yo dangle is good. it's low risk, high reward. throwing a nair/bair/dair at a recovering space animal can be good but also has a lot more potential for a reversal.

ThatLittleFatGirl

Smash Rookie
While this can be a good option a lot of times, if your opponents DI is toward the stage on the yo-yo hit then they can just stage tech. It is a good edge guard don't get me wrong but try not to spam it or they can adjust to the timing. :GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart::foxmelee:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I believe this could also be used to setup a YYG with good timing.
Can confirm. YYG can be done on a spacie recovering below the stage. Getting the timing on the initial hitbox rather than dangling it increases your chances of being successful. If you dangle then you will either need to be counting frames/have the charge timing down, or they will just be hit more than once and it won't work at all. They need to either be going for you from below or miss sweetspot, and they can prooobably sdi to negate YYG occurring in the first place. You also need the right spacing. Still a legitimate set-up though.

Last edited:

CheAkiwara

Smash Rookie
YYG is too risky imo. I often dangle the yo-yo on the ledge so they have to recover from below and either I d or f-tilt or just f-smash If I feel confident enough.

Top Bottom