• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B ledge cancel uses?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I was screwing around with stuff offline as Jr and realised you can ledge cancel Up-B. Now, I don't think it has a whole ton of uses other than generally speeding up Jr's game or making landing Up-B safer (Since you can act directly out of both air dodge and Up-B 2 if ledge canceled.), but I just wondered if anyone else had had some luck with this tech? I imagine it's worth practicing, but also very situational... Thoughts?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I've been using it for a while-- I'd say I have the most (safe/actually beneficial) use of ledge canceled up-B's on smashville. Using the moving platform to ledge cancel is great for when you whiff kart -> up-B, and can also make up-B'ing out of shield a viable mixup. Ledge canceling off of the moving platform OR the ledge itself is good for when you land kart -> up-B but it doesn't kill; You're able to regain all your options and keep crazy pressure while your opponent is still recovering.

Generally speaking, ledge canceling your up-B is a great tool for speeding up the parts of your play that ALREADY use up-B, but it doesn't create any new (safe, or even smart) options with up-B.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
It's basically required to be able to consistently ledge and platform cancel up b as bjr vs most of the best characters in the game if you don't want to get punished. It's not situational at all imo: extremely easy to do with the tiniest bit of practice. Gives him extra options for baiting vs characters with lack of mu exp and recovering in otherwise very bad situations.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Here is a thing i came up with when playing around with the technique a day ago:

Kart explosion > LC Hammer > dj Fair

Very impractical but was fun finding a combo with it :)

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
That's cool and not particularly impractical! Very easy to do, just situational :)

On Duckhunt you can use the multiple tree platforms to cancel up b without much lateral movement (cuz the platforms are so close together) so you can hit people with the explosion center stage, send then towards the tree, platform cancel and catch them in time with an upsmash or fsmash

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
heres a video of what Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones was talking about

i labbed some up-b ledge cancels awhile, and theres actually alot of combos you can get on battlefield with this tech.

ill probably make a video on it eventually when i get my capture card back

Top Bottom