• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-b Cancel Frame and Hitbox Data (complete with gifs, and now OoS data)

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
There are two methods to perform an up-b cancel. From standardtoaster's hitbox guide:

Method 1:

Frame 3: forward
Frame 4: back
Dr. Mario will end up facing back

Method 2:

Frame 2: anywhere but full forward
Frame 3: back
Frame 4: anywhere but back,
diagonals included (upback, downback)

Method 1:

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/MinorSeriousKakarikis

0 -
1 - up+b
2 -
3 - forward
(hitbox)
4 - back (move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag)
5 -
34 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

With hitlag

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/VainVibrantArabianhorse

You have to hit forward on frame 3, but have 3 frames during hitlag to start pressing back. You must be pressing back on frame 7

0 -
1 - up+b
2 -
3 - forward
(hitbox)
4 - | (window to start holding back) (hitlag)
5 - | (hitlag)
6 - | (hitlag)
7 - | must be pressing back - move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag
8 -
37 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

Method 2:

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/SpiritedGentleGhostshrimp

0 -
1 - up+b
2 - anywhere but full forward
3 - back
(hitbox)
4 - anywhere but back (move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag)
5 -
34 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

With hitlag

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/EmbellishedSpotlessHarborseal

You have to hit back on frame 3, but have 3 frames during hitlag to move the stick anywhere but back, so:

0 -
1 - up+b
2 - anywhere but full forward
3 - back
(hitbox)
4 - | (window for anywhere but back) (hitlag)
5 - | (hitlag)
6 - | (hitlag)
7 - | must be anywhere but back - move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag
8 -
37 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

Edit: The gifs have somewhere down the line been a tad messed up. They are still accurate but the initial wait frame is shown 3 times before the first frame of the up-b starts, and the ending wait frame has gone. Where it says LANDINGFALLSPECIAL 28.13 in the top right, that is the very last frame of lag, and the next is a wait frame.

Out of Shield:

Fatest:

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/EllipticalEquatorialBullfrog

(using method 2 with hitlag)
0 - Shielding
1 - Shield + Up
(goes into jumpsquat)
2 - Up + B
3 - anywhere but full forward
4 - back
(hitbox)
5 - | (window for anywhere but back) (hitlag)
6 - | (hitlag)
7 - | (hitlag)
8 - | must be anywhere but back - move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag
9 -
38 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

Slowest:

Direct link for better control of frames - http://gfycat.com/ShamefulInsecureDevilfish

(using method 2 with hitlag)
0 - Shielding
1 - Shield + Up
(goes into jumpsquat)
2 - (jumpsquat)
3 - (jumpsquat)
4 - (jumpsquat)
5 - (first frame airbourne)
6 - Up + B
7 - anywhere but full forward
8 - back
(hitbox)
9 - | (window for anywhere but back) (hitlag)
10 - | (hitlag)
11 - | (hitlag)
12 - | must be anywhere but back - move cancels and you are in speciallandinglag
13 -
42 - Back to wait
(can now move/attack)

(note: you can actually up+b cancel after the second frame airbourne if you short hop, but irl you will be holding up and will fullhop)

quick thought: why have I never seen a randall lag canceled up-b cancel? it would be the ultimate humiliation to someone trying to be saved by him, and then you could easily combo it into any aerial.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
oh my godlike
I'm glad you like. I am going to do another frame data post on all doc's more precise AT. On my list is, upair aerial interrupt, platform warp, platform warp with aerial, ptp, dash attack to ledge, ledge getup attack cape glitch. If theres anything you can think of let me know.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
About time someone stepped it up and brought this frame data out. Thank you! Very useful, and presented nicely.

Last edited:

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Maybe there is frame data for things like how soon you need to press B after you jump to full hop, Pill, waveland/aerial, or things similar. I am just curious about windows like that.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe there is frame data for things like how soon you need to press B after you jump to full hop, Pill, waveland/aerial, or things similar. I am just curious about windows like that.
Literally seconds away from posting the MEGATHREAD hehe, version 1, that I've been working on. It's open to suggestions too, so keep em coming.

jihaeng29

Smash Rookie
So for method 1, do you need to return the control stick to neutral after inputting back? Also does back mean exactly 90` and 270` positions (depending on what direction you are facing) or is there a window of angles?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
So for method 1, do you need to return the control stick to neutral after inputting back? Also does back mean exactly 90` and 270` positions (depending on what direction you are facing) or is there a window of angles?
After frame 4, none of your inputs matter, as that is the frame that upb cancels. So no, you do not need to return to neutral after hitting back.

Back and Forward do not necessarily need to be 90 or 270, and just need to be past the X deadzone. Hold up and whilst standing roll the stick towards left or right, at the point that you start walking is pretty much the point where forward/back is read for this tech.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
One day I want to get it down so good that I can do multi-upB cancels between stocks like Westballz multishines
Felt like teasing you.... I actually did it 5 times but the 5th got cut off in editing
To be honest it took me like 5 minutes to get this right XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom