• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-Air utilization

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Falcon Tipman

Some people that have played Melee and Smash 64 maybe familiar with what isn't really a tech, but a good edgeguard tool in Smash 4 that can be used more. Falcon's Up-Air near the end of his animation still has hitboxes active on his feet around frame 9-12. If you hit them in that area of the Up Air hitbox, they'll fly backwards. At high percents, this can put your opponent in a bad recovery position and a good edgeguard opportunity. I'd say around 85% this becomes useful.

This works on every character in the cast and is good on stages like Battlefield, Dreamland, Town & City, and Smashville because you can be under the platforms because frame 9-12 of the Up-Air being just above the platform. It's decent shield pressure too because it's very hard to shield grab them and you're too far under the platform to really get punished by them unless the hit box is just that big like Falcon's Dair.

The Tipman can be done grounded as well, but it's only useful on big or tall characters. This is very useful off stage anything past 100%. It knocks them pretty far back and sometimes downwards which puts them in a predictable recovery situation or forces them to use their 2nd jump. And even at times not being able to make it back at all. The higher the percent is, the more useful it is. You can go pretty deep off stage with this and still make it back so don't be afraid of the risk. But you'll kick them back even further and possibly killing them depending on the percent.

I hope this gets utilized more. Show your moves Falcons.

~NathanSandwich

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Edgeguarding with a tipman was always extremely satisfying, and ended on frame 13 in melee which to me, albeit 1 frame, still seems easier to land than in smash 4. I'll see what I can pull from my vault to showcase proper use of it as an edeguard but like you stated in in your post, is much easier landed on fatties.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Edgeguarding with a tipman was always extremely satisfying, and ended on frame 13 in melee which to me, albeit 1 frame, still seems easier to land than in smash 4. I'll see what I can pull from my vault to showcase proper use of it as an edeguard but like you stated in in your post, is much easier landed on fatties.
I'll look more on the percents on the Tipman throughout the week. I'll see if there are some ground setups for it too.

CorinVid

Smash Rookie
NNID
CorinVid
I feel bair pretty much outshines it in almost any edgeguarding situation. The one exception I'd say is when you're on the Smashville platform with your opponent trying to recover from near the blastzone just underneath you, and you drop down and uair for the Tipman. Otherwise bair is just a lot more powerful and reliable to land.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
used onstage near the edge i find it sets up quite well for dair spike. dont remember the percents tho (maybe 50ish?).
Also does it slide people of platforms?

Top Bottom