• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up air Platform Cancel / No Impact Land + new stuff

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,
I'm sure most of you know about the weird upair platform cancel which occurs when u start one right as you are rising through a platform. I always used to think this was useless because no hitbox came out. Then I was messing around and found that if you did the upair fairly late, a hitbox does come out. And it looks like this:

Is this tech actually useful?

Edit: You can L-cancel it

Edit 2: Ok so today I upthrow'ed a falcon at mid percent on yoshis around center stage. He tech rolled the left platform to the left. I successfully followed up with full hop upair platform cancel > edge cancel > upair.

I have been searching around for this tech around the forum and there is nothing 100% clear about it. Is it an aerial interrupt? Some people say an aerial interrupt is strictly when it cancels early in autocancel frames. Platform cancel, no impact land, aerial interrupt, platform warp?

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
As I've been trying to find an answer to why this tech exists, I have found out about more tech. When I was searching through the forum for similar stuff, I came across this luigi thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tech.308463 It highlights luigis amazing no impact land and how he basically teleports. It then follows that you can use an aerial too just as fast. This isn't exactly the same tech as the above, but I'll get to that later. It turns out doc/mario can do it too.

I made some gfys so you can see it in action. These are doc btw

Here I do the "platform warp" (as the luigi boards dubbed it) no impact land.

Here I do the same timing but I immediately nair as I jump, then l-cancel it.

And here I showcase the original upair aerial interrupt. Every jump is a full hop, I first upair below the platform, then when I'm passing through (the correct timing to aerial interrupt with a hitbox) the platform (damn i forgot to l-cancel it, but you know the drill, you've l-canceled a late upair before), then upair above the platform.

What I find the most interesting is that upair seems to only be semi-dependent of jump height/platform height. What I mean by this is that you do not need to aim for perfect no impact lands to cancel the upair, not even close. It's much more leniant and more about when you start it in regards to your position relative to the platform. Would anyone like to comment on this? This place is a ghost town, doc ain't dead dammit!

Kadano

Magical Express
Just press R+↓ on the d-pad while in develop mode to activate environment visibility, then perform your inputs frame-by-frame. I’m sure you’ll understand how and why it works like that by doing so.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Just press R+↓ on the d-pad while in develop mode to activate environment visibility, then perform your inputs frame-by-frame. I’m sure you’ll understand how and why it works like that by doing so.
Ok, so I did learn that docs platform warp is frame perfect, and you can use any standing move the frame you land (or after standard l-cancel lag if u l-cancel nair). And also (at least from a full hop under battlefield platform) the upair aerial interrupt with a hitbox is frame perfect, with the two previous frames performing the interrupt without a hitbox.

I'm guessing the platform warp NIL happens because your box and the platform line up while you are still upright? And I'm guessing the upair works because your head is going into the platform from above as you are rising, making it think you are landing. Probably because upair has special properties when landing upside down to give that squished effect? How wrong am I?

Edit: Lol. I was very wrong. If anyone is interested, I explain both tech in the megathread in their respective sections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom