• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Untechable Reel Animations

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The other day Stryker95 Stryker95 PM'd me with a dilemma. He had found a specific scenario where Link's soft hit Nair was hitting a Samus at 105%, which in the given scenario was launching her in a strange way, and if Samus DI'd it down, she would seemingly be unable to tech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C-8UsA2_CQ
How strange!

After recreating it myself and confirming that it wasn't just a matter of trying to tech multiple times or too early, I had to conclude that yes, in this specific scenario, Samus is definitely unable to tech. I then ran a bunch of tests to re-confirm everything I thought I knew about teching, and I eventually concluded that it must have something to do with the strange knockback reeling animation itself.
This particular animation is induced by hitting the opponent anywhere on their hurtbox such that the move you use leaves them on at least 100%, where the specific move/hitbox being used will also put them into a reeling animation (which may result in the the character being launched headlong while spinning as seen in the video), and where the specific move/hitbox used does not send the opponent upwards at an angle greater than 70 (an angle of 70 is fine).

If a character gets put into this special reeling animation (regardless of whether they were on the ground or in the air at the time), and they land on a surface while still in hitstun, they will be unable to tech.

And yes, this applies to spiking people too (just be aware that spiking someone who is on the ground can sometimes not actually hit them down at all if the move works differently for grounded and aerial opponents), such that they enter the critical hit reeling animation traveling towards the ground head-first, and then they are unable to tech (assuming they are still in hitstun, which if spiked at that percent is pretty much guaranteed).
And to clarify, it also applies to throws.

In the video against the Samus it was necessary to DI down in order to land before hitstun wore off, but this is not the case with all characters (e.g. replace Samus with Captain Falcon in that video scenario, and even without DI, Falcon will be unable to tech).

Now before you go freaking out and trying to find scenarios where your characters can deliberately induce this 'critical hit reel' thing then convert it into a lock or a kill-confirm, just hear me out.

The next step for the purposes of further testing was to find a specific set-up using frame skips that I could use to more reliably and quickly induce this specific reeling animation. I soon found this to be strangely more difficult than expected.
On a hunch I set up a scenario where I could rule out all other factors. I took Mega Man and Link to a custom stage, had Mega Man hold a buzz-saw so that he wouldn't move, set Link up on a slightly elevated platform, made Mega Man walk to the edge of his platform till he teetered then I rolled back, set Mega Man's percent to 142% (it just had to be 'high'), then made Link fully charge an arrow and shoot it at Mega Man's face. I repeated this exact same scenario multiple times and found that Mega Man would only go into the special reeling animation some of the time.
This means that whether or not critical hit reeling will be induced is essentially random.
Even if all other factors are accounted for, you still need to get lucky.

We now know through data-mining that there is a 30% chance of the reeling animation being induced, all other factors being present.

Edit: I originally didn't make this a thread, but seeing as it was turned into one I decided to keep the OP up to date with new information as it comes in; with this in mind, a big thanks goes out to Lavani and everyone else who contributed information (which can be found below).

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Important followup: Reeling only seems to be able to happen if the victim is above 100% (after the hit). Did hundreds of tests with Bob-ombs, Meta Knight dtilt, and the first two (weight-based!) hits of Meta Knight's bair vs ZSS, Sheik, and Rosa, and didn't find any exceptions.
(edit: guess this was known to be the case in previous games too, but confirmation's always nice)

Even if it's random, this is a really cool discovery. Means some things that were previously thought to be tech chases actually can be guaranteed some of the time, and it means some stagespikes will just be unavoidably fatal regardless of position or player input.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm now wondering whether or not my zairing at tumble percents with ZSS so they get hit into the ground and get boost kicked off the miss-tech is actually a thing or people were needing to get better (only been heavily abusing this KO set up lately).
Stuff like that just opens the flood gates to more "THAT WAS A 2FRAME PUNISH" or 'THAT WAS UNTECHABLE" type of anecdotes though.

We kinda need to know what causes the reeling more in depth. Is it actually random?
Megaman is a stable testing character due to lack of movement in idle, but were most of the tests on Samus consistent?

Lavani Lavani , when you say MK's dtilt, are you saying the reel animation can come from hitting any part of the body or were you using elevation stuff to only down tilt upper body?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Lavani Lavani , when you say MK's dtilt, are you saying the reel animation can come from hitting any part of the body or were you using elevation stuff to only down tilt upper body?
The former. I was poking them in the feet while standing on level ground with dtilt, and bair didn't seem to matter where it hit.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Important followup: Reeling only seems to be able to happen if the victim is above 100% (after the hit).
That sounds about right. I'll edit in a note telling people to read your post.

If that's the case then in order to make use of this at all, you'd obviously want to use a low knockback move, preferably with a precise hitbox, that still inflicts enough knockback to make them reel.

and it means some stagespikes will just be unavoidably fatal regardless of position or player input.
I'm fairly certain that it only applies to ground techs.

Stuff like that just opens the flood gates to more "THAT WAS A 2FRAME PUNISH" or 'THAT WAS UNTECHABLE" type of anecdotes though.
The animation is unmistakable though. The question will then be a matter of whether the character was still in hitstun or not when they landed which can be a bit more difficult to gauge outside the lab.

Is it actually random?
There is no other possible explanation given the results I was getting from the Mega Man tests. That was the whole point.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The former. I was poking them in the feet while standing on level ground with dtilt, and bair didn't seem to matter where it hit.
This is incredible! I'm super excited for new realm of smash research! It's interesting that you found a case where hit location doesn't seem to matter (MK bair), while the setup with Link's arrow seemed to be location specific and somewhat effected by chance.

I'll try and contribute as soon as I can get time investigate. My work vacation for EVO starts on Monday, and I'll likely try and investigate this in-depth for ZSS... since she's the most relevant to me and my competitive endeavors.

Honestly, I'm a bit suspicious of the presence of RNG, since we've have phenomenon the community has struggled to understand for very long periods of time. But RNG or not, I look forward to diving into this!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay so it only applies to ground techs...?
Does that mean it only applies to people you hit on the ground? (actually I was kinda under the impression you couldn't tech if you never left the ground in hitstun in the first place [bar spikes, new to S4], is that not still the case?). The entire reel animation may be still considered grounded despite it showing air time.

And it's not specific to hitting a certain part of the body?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Does that mean it only applies to people you hit on the ground? (actually I was kinda under the impression you couldn't tech if you never left the ground in hitstun in the first place [bar spikes, new to S4], is that not still the case?). The entire reel animation may be still considered grounded despite it showing air time.

Foxy mentions it's regardless of whether they're in the ground or air in the OP, which I can confirm.

Can also confirm where they're hit makes no difference. Foxy's tests indicate headshots guarantee nothing, my tests indicate being hit anywhere has a chance of reeling past 100%.

Basically, if you're sent reeling and hit a surface you can stand on, you can't tech.

If you don't leave the ground, you wouldn't be able to tech either since you aren't hitting a surface, but then you wouldn't be able to reel either so it's not exactly related to this.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes.
Does that mean it only applies to people you hit on the ground?
I mentioned earlier that it doesn't matter whether you were hit out of the air or off the ground.
(actually I was kinda under the impression you couldn't tech if you never left the ground in hitstun in the first place, is that not still the case?)
Not quite sure what you mean, but if you were on the ground when hit then you land before hitstun ends you can tech unless this critical hit reeling thing is induced.
I had thought so initially due to the video, but I just got it to work by doing a (Link) SH Nair underneath a side BF platform hitting Falcon's feet, so.. I guess I'll edit the OP.

Luigi player

Smash Master
While trying to come up with my character survival ranking and hurtbox shifting stuff etc I also had to deal with this reeling which just really appeard to happen randomly. I used throws to hit the other characters with and when they had this animation they would often die earlier (probably because their hurtbox touched the blastzone sooner?), meaning I always had to retest until the non-spin animation would occur.

It's a little sad that something this important is just randomized.

So it only happens at 100+%.. which means I have no excuses not being able to tech Marios weak nairs most of the time (other reason I could think of besides timing being off is that I tried to shield, but got hit and then was unable to input a tech again since there's some time you have to wait before trying again). x.x Had this happen so often to me, so I was wondering if that would maybe explain it, but I guess not, since most of the time I think I was below 100 %. But good to know regardless.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually.. I just remembered something XD. Prepare to have your mind blown.

Because I now know how this works, I can re-test something I thought I stumbled upon while testing but was never able to recreate, till now.

This applies to spikes too.
To clarify, I just spiked someone out of the air, they entered the same animation (facing downwards though), and they were unable to tech on the ground.
Again, completely random, over 100%. It just happened.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Addendum to the above: While air spikes aren't techable if sent reeling, grounded spikes always are.

I think the technical reason for this is that the game doesn't figure out if you're reeling or not until after you've bounced off the ground; something like Charizard's dair or Link's Meteor Bombs can definitely send an opponent reeling after a groundbounce, but a grounded opponent can always tech them in spite of this. Only an aerial spike reel is untechable.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

It also applies to throws apparently ?

Are there any other properties to this animation? Because if it applies to throws then all it is achieving is an alternative animation a lot of the time and is making follow ups potentially easier or more difficult.

Heck, this could be something that just 'randomly' decides to let someone fall out of a zss up-b or not.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It doesn't appear to apply to moves with vertical upwards knockback.. It might be an idea to figure out at what point the angle is determinative. (e.g. it doesn't work when getting hit by Link's U-tilt but it does work when getting hit by his boomerang (early), so somewhere between those two; it's a start.)
Edit: doesn't apply to Link's D-smash 1, so something between 70 and 78.
Doesn't apply to Mario's Uair, so something between 70 and 75..
Doesn't apply to ZSS U-throw which is 73, so that leaves either 70, 71 or 72.
Doesn't apply to Sheik F-throw which is 72.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
This might help to explain some of what I was experiencing while labbing kill percents with Meta Knight. While looking for the ceiling percents on when dash attack to Shuttle Loop is unable to work, I noticed some of the time that characters would suffer different kinds of knock back animation, which typically alludes to a change in hit stun duration. Depending on the animation, my opponent could either air dodge out or they would die. I thought this was because the dash attack has three separate hit boxes and I was being clumsy and hitting the middle one accidentally, but this makes a lot more sense.

With that being said, I would say it does apply to moves with vertical upwards knock back.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
With that being said, I would say it does apply to moves with vertical upwards knock back.
No it definitely doesn't work.
Following on from the edits in my previous post, there is no move with an angle of 71 that I'm aware of, so, any move that hits characters upwards at an angle over 70 cannot inflict the critical hit reel animation so far as I can tell.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This explains Sheik's weak Nair>Bouncing Fish nonsense.

Great discovery guys, I'll try to look more into it when I get the chance.

:196:

Yikarur

Smash Master
I felt so dumb everytime I failed to tech a spike to the ground and got bounced upwards even though I was 100% certain to have reacted in time.
This would explain it :(

Ulevo

Smash Master
No it definitely doesn't work.
Following on from the edits in my previous post, there is no move with an angle of 71 that I'm aware of, so, any move that hits characters upwards at an angle over 70 cannot inflict the critical hit reel animation so far as I can tell.
Ah alright. Dash attack 1 and 2 are 60/70 degrees respecively, so this makes sense.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
My testing with throws would agree with this. I've had varying kill percents for more horizontally launching throws but primarily vertical throws tend to be consistent.

Ah alright. Dash attack 1 and 2 are 60/70 degrees respecively, so this makes sense.
Related to this, if a move's base angle would prevent the reel animation but DI would cause it to be in the threshold, is the reel animation still possible?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Related to this, if a move's base angle would prevent the reel animation but DI would cause it to be in the threshold, is the reel animation still possible?
Good question..
One moment..
I just tested Sheik's F-throw again, this time DIing away or diagonally down, and it really isn't working.. That's strange because I would have thought that it would have worked..

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I wondered why my Villy dair spike worked so often. I was like 'They can't be failing to tech ALL the time...' Lol. Ima test this out later.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Is this in addition to not being able to tech when touching a wall? Or is this part of that same mechanic?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Is this in addition to not being able to tech when touching a wall? Or is this part of that same mechanic?
That's different. One isn't able to tech when touching a wall due to being against the wall during hitlag (unable to input anything), thus bouncing off before getting a chance to tech. Same concept as frame syncing actually, just with wallbouncing.

That actually happens with grounded spikes too, but I don't know if any other than Ganondorf dair have enough hitlag to prevent techs.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Interesting notes I got while working on character specific tech:

If you can jump, the reel state is over. So your foe has to hit the ground before they are able to interrupt their hitstun with a jump.

I thought that Game and Watch did not have a reel state. That's not true. Game and Watch's reel animation looks exactly like his other high damage animation. I got that confused because of the above point. Game and Watch's fall speed is so low, he can jump out of most reel animation setups.

I ended up retesting this again on Halberd. Hit him from the low floor at the center to the higher floor on the outside of the main flying platform. It'll prevent him from jumping, and you can count techs to show the existence of his "reel state." Approximately 33% of techs should fail.

Last edited:

vyQ

Smash Cadet
Hey fellow labbers!
We covered this topic in our newest video! We also labbed it on our own to confirm it but BIG shoutouts and thanks to all of you!
Watch here if you want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6-mldGJog

really unfortunate that this exists, but at least we're informed now ^^

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Spikes happen at different angles (not all of them are 270°). What's the angle range for the "reeling" animation?

For instance, can Gannon's 290° aerial wizard's foot cause reeling?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Spikes happen at different angles (not all of them are 270°). What's the angle range for the "reeling" animation?

For instance, can Gannon's 290° aerial wizard's foot cause reeling?
Considering Link's Meteor Bomb custom (270°) and Ryu's dair (300°) can both reel and the non-spike restriction was versus vertical knockback, I don't see any limitation on reeling from spikes.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Interesting find.

So basically this is Brawl tripping. In some ways it's worse as it has a much higher chance of occurring, happens in a situation where the opponent is already looking to react to something and in some situations it's impossible not to hit the stage regardless of DI. Tripping actually couldn't ever happen if you never dashed, only walked or jumped.

Also at least with tripping you immediately knew when the game screwed you over and it was beyond your control. Since this isn't known imagine how many people have been frustrated beyond belief as no matter how much they practice teching they keep missing relatively easy techs never knowing why.

Nintendo clearly wanted another big RNG mechanic but didn't want it to be known. Well played, there was a good chance no one would have found it because who expects teching of all things to be random?

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
This looks great and its not as bad as people think.
just like peach and gnw this rewards the offensive player trying to get this animation to get a kill confirm by trying all the possible moves that can trigger it, unlike tripping which was random bs that punished the player with more grounded movement.
For example link which is a character than can kill confirm with his nair now, its great because he is going to get rewarded by reacting to the animation accordingly and to followup with dash attack.
Samus and Roy get a lot of this too, and people kind of forget the animation doesn't happen unless you actually try the specific move in that specific %, so its all on the player even if there is RNG here and there, this will only benefit lab monsters which is great.

A lot of moves that aren't used a lot now have a really good use and it all depends on the player, there will be no rng if no one tries to get the untechable animation so I dont find anything wrong with it.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Interesting find.

So basically this is Brawl tripping. In some ways it's worse as it has a much higher chance of occurring, happens in a situation where the opponent is already looking to react to something and in some situations it's impossible not to hit the stage regardless of DI. Tripping actually couldn't ever happen if you never dashed, only walked or jumped.

Also at least with tripping you immediately knew when the game screwed you over and it was beyond your control. Since this isn't known imagine how many people have been frustrated beyond belief as no matter how much they practice teching they keep missing relatively easy techs never knowing why.

Nintendo clearly wanted another big RNG mechanic but didn't want it to be known. Well played, there was a good chance no one would have found it because who expects teching of all things to be random?
I wouldn't jump on the Nintendo is evil train. This seems to rare a situation for that. And you can just DI up for many situations.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
In the Reddit thread, I see someone saying that since it takes longer to hit the ground, can jump out of the animation earlier. Is that accurate?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Now, my question is this. Does the reel animation add or reduce hit stun, and by how much?

EDIT: From what I tested, there appears to be the same amount of hit stun duration. Using Fox's frame skip animation method for testing frames, using Mario at his starting position in training mode and using Meta Knight's jab finisher at 100%, Mario would air dodge on frame 41-42 regardless of whether he was in the reel animation or not. I think this warrants further testing but this is my initial findings.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Best idea on paper is to DI up and mash jump/tech away with decent timing. I don't know if you enter tumble from reel (the reddit post seemed to imply otherwise, I'll test it on my own) but if so you can cover all the bases by using this game's relatively lenient 10f buffer window.

As weird as it sounds I'll still take this over tripping assuming it's not just a random bug that will get fixed or something. At least I'm getting punished for getting hit and not for attempting basic movement.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
In the Reddit thread, I see someone saying that since it takes longer to hit the ground, can jump out of the animation earlier. Is that accurate?
I tested this a bunch using ROB's dtilt on various characters, and I can confirm that on every character I've tested, they were able to jump out of the reeling animation at a lower percent than the 'standard' launch animation.

Top Bottom