• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice Unsure on a character main :)

jJOEe

Smash Rookie
The characters I have gravitated the most to have been Toon Link and Lucina. I am unsure which to main out of the two as I enjoy both for different reasons. I like that Lucina can edgeguard so well as I enjoy doing it, and that she does not have many (if any) match-ups where you feel like you are at a disadvantage. I like Toon Link as I enjoy his projectiles being able to force others to approach as well as I just find him a bit more fun (which is important to me). If I do not find a character that has the aspects of these that I like I would most likely main Toon Link just because he is more fun to me.

What I was wondering if is there is a character that has good edge guarding tools, a decent projectile (or projectiles) and a good match up spread that I could try, or advice on whether or not I should main Lucina or Toon Link. I am not so invested into either character that learning a new main would be a massive waste of time.

The characters that came to mind to me were Wolf and Peach, but Peach might be a bit to mechanically hard for me with float cancels and Wolf does not have a lot of freedom to edge guard off stage because of his recovery. Is learning float cancels that difficult and is wolf better at edgegaurding than I think maybe?

Any other characters that fit the profile?

I am aware that this is sort of a ramble and a lot of questions so I appreciate any advice or help people can give me!
Thanks for help :)

Mags07

Smash Rookie
I know this is gonna be coming from a snake main but....

Snake is a good character for edge guarding and ledge trapping if thats what you're looking for, up smash can set up a lot of pressure situations and C4 and give you stage control and generally a menacing presence while in play.

If you want to look matchup wise for a sword type character Lucina is a great starter for spacing and general play. If thats not good for you or you feel like playing slow, roy is great for an oppressive type of play.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
:ultpalutena: comes to mind. She doesn't have the crazy projectile zoning that Toon Link does, but she still can force an approach pretty well. She's also really good at intercepting recoveries with drop down Nair, and can go really deep to boot.

I know some Palu's think she loses to the rats but she's simple yet versatile enough that I can't imagine any of her match ups being too horrible.

:ultjoker: is a pretty technical character, but he can force approaches with Gun and Eiha, and if his opponents have better projectile spam then he does he can absorb them with rebels guard. He's also a great edge guarder with a great match up spread, but note that he might struggle a little to kill sometimes and
you're going to want to lab out his combos if you really want to commit to him.

If you're not concerned with tiers you might want to also consider :ultpit::ultdarkpit: - they have decent projectiles (I particularly like Pit's, but some people still like Pitoo's better) and they are great at edge guarding as well. Just consider that while their match up spreads will also be pretty balanced, these guys are a bit under tuned so you're still going to have to work harder to win with them in general.

Top Bottom