• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unsportsmanship behavior

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
So i figured id come share an experience with everyone.

Just got out of a lobby where inwas 3v1d in a pre-meditated manner where they all must know each-other. I manage to take one stock from each player and highly damage them before finally succumbing to what is the worse experience of my time playing this game. 4 minutes left on the clock and all these juveniles do is teabag the arena so i leave. Only to now be banned from online play for a time while they get to run free but hey at least they aren’t getting any gsp for it.

Can we see people like this being banned instead? Can i record these matches and report it anywhere so people like this can see perma bans from online play? Oh and let me add that nintendo sees it as unsportsman like to leave when im already dead apparently.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I don't know if Nintendo actually does anything about them, but you can report people for unsportsmanlike conduct by viewing past opponents you've played with in the Records section of the Vault.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Getting disconnected often will count as unsportsmanlike. I lost to someone online, and when I went to start another match, I ended up playing against Sonic. Well, suddenly I was disconnected and when I tried getting back online after I reset the Internet, it said I was banned for 22 minutes for being unsportsmanlike or because it was I was disconnected. That was enough for me to say I'm done with this game. I think online could be improved, but it doesn't matter to me anymore.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
This is sad. Teabagging doesn’t belong in a Nintendo Game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is sad. Teabagging doesn’t belong in a Nintendo Game.
Well, when it comes to tea bagging, you're just going to have to get used to it. I say this because I don't know how Nintendo can do anything about people pressing down on the analog stick. People could end up getting penalized for accidentally pressing down on the analog stick two or three times when they were just trying to drop through a platform or use down special in a match that's riddled with latency. It's unfortunate that people can ruin the fun for others. This seems to be dominant in Super Mario Maker 2. I haven't played online for that game because I've seen how horrendous it is from other players, but people don't care about anyone but themselves when they're trying to win. Etiquette goes out the window.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
That sounds really annoying.

I feel like if Nintendo allowed taunting online, it would result in less tea bagging.

I don't know why, but I've never really found taunting to be in bad taste since it's part of the game's intended mechanics and the developers took the time to create all those taunts and put them in the game.

Why are they disabled online?

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That sounds really annoying.

I feel like if Nintendo allowed taunting online, it would result in less tea bagging.

I don't know why, but I've never really found taunting to be in bad taste since it's part of the game's intended mechanics and the developers took the time to create all those taunts and put them in the game.

Why are they disabled online?
Probably due to taunt parties. Back in SSBB, if you weren't taunting with everyone else, but started to play the game, they'd go after you.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Probably due to taunt parties. Back in SSBB, if you weren't taunting with everyone else, but started to play the game, they'd go after you.
I miss those days, honestly. Taunt parties are definitely degenerate, but I thought they were a lot of fun. It gave me a chance to just have fun with the people I was playing with instead of trying to win. Also it was a great way to explore weird mechanics and glitches. I'm glad they added a 'playground' arena type this go-round.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Well, when it comes to tea bagging, you're just going to have to get used to it. I say this because I don't know how Nintendo can do anything about people pressing down on the analog stick. People could end up getting penalized for accidentally pressing down on the analog stick two or three times when they were just trying to drop through a platform or use down special in a match that's riddled with latency. It's unfortunate that people can ruin the fun for others. This seems to be dominant in Super Mario Maker 2. I haven't played online for that game because I've seen how horrendous it is from other players, but people don't care about anyone but themselves when they're trying to win. Etiquette goes out the window.
Mario Maker's online issues have nothing to do with player etiquette. The problems are the game mechanics and level pool.

Telling people "don't do that, that's not nice," doesn't work. A system needs to be in place to make it so that doing said action is against their personal interests. Then it works.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've not had this sort of extreme happen. The most unsportsmanlike conduct I receive is being kicked out of a room after a single win or because of the character I choose (Pac-Man often gets me kicked out of a room before I get to play, but he's my main so...whatever). I don't usually report them though it's just pathetic. I'd just black list folks who are doing stupid stuff like that if you want to avoid running into them again for another lame experience.

Some people just like to troll and we just gotta find a way to wade around it.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I've not had this sort of extreme happen. The most unsportsmanlike conduct I receive is being kicked out of a room after a single win or because of the character I choose (Pac-Man often gets me kicked out of a room before I get to play, but he's my main so...whatever). I don't usually report them though it's just pathetic. I'd just black list folks who are doing stupid stuff like that if you want to avoid running into them again for another lame experience.

Some people just like to troll and we just gotta find a way to wade around it.
This is the single reason it's so hard to find an arena. Either I get kicked for using my character, or the arena shuts down before I even get to play.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
This is the single reason it's so hard to find an arena. Either I get kicked for using my character, or the arena shuts down before I even get to play.
I've begun to remember names of good sports and better lobbies. Honestly any arena that's a Twitch streamer tend to be safe bets as they aren't, usually, going to be d-bags with a live audience. There are good players out there, just gotta keep looking like I do every day XD

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Honestly teabagging is whatever to me, but im not going to sit in this ffa with 4 mins on the clock watching these children do it for 4 mins straight

The system is flawed why am i being penalized for that

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Honestly teabagging is whatever to me, but im not going to sit in this ffa with 4 mins on the clock watching these children do it for 4 mins straight

The system is flawed why am i being penalized for that
k. So how would you fix it?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I just make my own. Though, making it 2 people only may attract people much better than me at times, but at least that way I always get to play.

In a somewhat related note, I still remember the time in 4 I ran into something like this, but I actually won. Think I was using Meta Knight (who I'm not even good with), and I did use some well placed taunts as I kicked them to the curve. One of them actually complimented me I think. Alas, that is the exception.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mario Maker's online issues have nothing to do with player etiquette. The problems are the game mechanics and level pool.
I never said SMM2's online issues had anything to do with player etiquette. When I said I've seen how horrendous SMM2's online is based on from what I've seen from other players, what I meant was that I've seen other people upload videos of their online experience and it's been riddled with latency. That by itself is enough to not even bother playing SMM2 online.

Telling people "don't do that, that's not nice," doesn't work. A system needs to be in place to make it so that doing said action is against their personal interests. Then it works.
Of course.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The only way they can be punished for this is if you report them and someone reviews the match and determines whether or not they were engaging in a "teabagging party" or if their actions were meant to offend an opponent. Nintendo likes to bury its head in the sand sometimes so they have no clue what teabagging means. They might see teabagging as someone with a drifting controller or someone trying to crouch or use a move with a downwards input without recognizing the offensive nature of teabagging. While I have no problem with it since I have enough self control to not get annoyed by it, I wish they would just re-implement taunts online. They removed taunts to try to make people less salty and ended up creating something worse.

Top Bottom