• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Can you elaborate? Why would moveset potential not be an important factor for a newcomer? Particularly since Sakurai has stated outright that he and the devs gravitate towards characters that would bring a new and unique playstyle to the game.

It's not that a lack of anything too crazy is a killer--Banjo looks like a pretty traditional fighter. But it's not a non-factor.
I think every possible character ever has moveset potential, after characters like R.O.B or Duck Hunt were introduced. I have no doubts that Sakurai could create a playable Tetromino if he wanted. I'd rather hear "This character should be in because I really like it!" than "Check that moveset potential, dude!"

D

Deleted member

Wait, how can the ship have sailed for a game that isn't even out??? I certainly don't expect a Three Houses newcomer, but it's also not impossible given that they were showing off the game last E3 during a period when DLC was being chosen and Nintendo tends to communicate their major upcoming projects to Sakurai pretty well anyway.
I feel like if a Three Houses character were to happen, it would've happened by now or already with 3H being released soon to promote the game like Corrin did with Fates in Smash 4.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like if a Three Houses character were to happen, it would've happened by now or already with 3H being released soon to promote the game like Corrin did with Fates in Smash 4.
Corrin was announced after the release of Fates.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There's still plenty of reason to go for Three Houses if Sakurai wanted to. There's never going to be a bad time to advertise characters and Nintendo games historically lose pretty much none of their value. A Three Houses fighter 6 months from now would likely just lead to sales 6 months from now and Nintendo's more than happy to take profit whenever they can get it. It's also possible that Sakurai and Nintendo are just interested in a Three Houses character being added to Smash, which doesn't have to happen alongside Three Houses release at all. Hell, let's say they go big DLC for Three Houses, they could also just as easily release a Three Houses fighter alongside that content.

Like I don't expect a Three Houses character in the Fighter's Pass or any first parties in the pass at this point, and I don't really expect DLC beyond the pass either, so I'm going to say I don't expect a Three Houses character based on that... but when first parties are back on the table, I don't think there is anything that indicates Three Houses is out of the running for such a character. Nothing has to coincide with Three Houses release and Nintendo have missed more obvious places to make big deals about dates and advertisements in the past.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I don’t see them taking the :ultcorrin: route (reveal after release) this time.

They announced :ulthero: right before they promoted Echoes of an Elusive Age so I imagine they’re taking this path, which is also why I think Crash is unlikely as much as I want him.

He could’ve cross-promoted Nitro-Fueled but it’s already out so it’s kind of a process of elimination imo.

Besides, giving us huge a hype streak with new franchises :ultbanjokazooie::ulthero::ultjoker: it’d be break it with a first-party character from an already bloated series.

Then again, we know Smash is with ending their reveals so anything can happen...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t see them taking the :ultcorrin: route (reveal after release) this time.

They announced :ulthero: right before they promoted Echoes of an Elusive Age so I imagine they’re taking this path, which is also why I think Crash is unlikely as much as I want him.

He could’ve cross-promoted Nitro-Fueled but it’s already out so it’s kind of a process of elimination imo.

Besides, giving us huge a hype streak with new franchises :ultbanjokazooie::ulthero::ultjoker: it’d be break it with a first-party character from an already bloated series.

Then again, we know Smash is with ending their reveals so anything can happen...
I especially don't see how Crash is out of the running. You're not adding him just to promote the more recent games (which Nitro-Fueled seems to have a long DLC cycle going on and I'm sure Activision is already foaming at the mouth about how to make even more money off of his brand's return to prominence), you're adding him for legacy and place as another major 90s icon. Like Hero doesn't just promote Dragon Quest 11 Definitive, it promotes and further immortalizes the Dragon Quest brand as a whole. The whole Crash situation would have easily fit within the window of choosing DLC (N' Sane Trilogy was announced for Switch at the same time as Smash Bros. was and we know DLC was being chosen in that period). I sincerely doubt there's any rigid advertisement ideologies going on anywhere in Smash that dictates characters have to be release exactly around the same moment as their main games are releasing. Hero's just kind of uniquely positioned in that regard compared to Joker, and especially Banjo who doesn't have squat coming.

I don't disagree with you on the FE stuff (I mean, I am all for more reps from Fire Emblem because it's a solid series and has many unique options for further characters), but I also certainly don't think Three Houses has any real reason to be off the table in the event that First Parties are back on the table, especially if another Corrin like scenario happens where the character's unique moveset warrants attention and inclusion, or even if just a character becomes a breakout star for the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's a good reason a Three Houses character would likely wait until after release. With Chrom being the sole exception, Sakurai gives Fire Emblem characters the endgame variants of their weapons. Some of these have big story implications, like Corrin with the Omega Yato. It's very possible a Three Houses character would use an endgame weapon or ability and, as such, would be spoilery to add prior to release.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-I would be pissed if a 3H character gets in this pass, after getting brand new and fresh series like Persona, Dragon Quest, and Banjo Kazooie into, they would somehow go back to pre-existing Nintendo series and give FE a obligatory new character that most would expect anyway when there’s still other potential 3rd Parties left?

It would completely take away from the aspect of these DLC fighters being surprises.

I understand the FE hate stigma in the Smash community is getting a bit old for the FE fans here but I would genuinely be annoyed if this happens.

-On another note, I really don’t understand why people never took Reggie’s statement clearly meaning new series, if he meant just general newcomers including first parties, wouldn’t that basically be a “no sh** sherlock” out of him?

Especially if said series are getting their own dedicated songs and stages?

God, I wish he didn’t make the statement vague.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
On another note, I really don’t understand why people never took Reggie’s statement clearly meaning new series, if he meant just general newcomers including first parties, wouldn’t that basically be a “no sh** sherlock” out of him?

Especially if said series are getting their own dedicated songs and stages?

God, I wish he didn’t make the statement vague.
What's vague about "series not already in Smash?"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's a good reason a Three Houses character would likely wait until after release. With Chrom being the sole exception, Sakurai gives Fire Emblem characters the endgame variants of their weapons. Some of these have big story implications, like Corrin with the Omega Yato. It's very possible a Three Houses character would use an endgame weapon or ability and, as such, would be spoilery to add prior to release.
The endgame weapons have already been revealed though. Assuming it's Edalgard, her endgame weapon has already been revealed (and is presumably post timeskip only) and Byleth's chainsword as well.

If, and this is a very big if here, they plan on a Three Houses character, I don't see why they'd have to wait post-launch or post-post-launch or whatever, especially considering Corrin's game hadn't even been released to Western audiences and the Revelations DLC where you get the Omega Yato wasn't even available until what, a month after launch if you didn't preorder it?

ze9

Smash Ace
The anime crowd of Smash is easily identifiable.
Like, I'm not sure if I could come up with a valid all-encompassing definition, but it's clear which characters are being talked about when people say "anime characters".

:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultjoker::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulthero:

Zelda characters always get a pass.
Other realistically shaped characters like Simon, Snake, Falcon, Ryu or Samus also get a pass.
Not sure about Bayonetta.
I could explain why it works like that, and somebody could easily refute with "but actually...!!!", but it's just a feeling thing, you know.

And also, it's nothing more than another byproduct of Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem's sudden overrepresentation in Smash 4.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The endgame weapons have already been revealed though. Assuming it's Edalgard, her endgame weapon has already been revealed (and is presumably post timeskip only) and Byleth's chainsword as well.

If, and this is a very big if here, they plan on a Three Houses character, I don't see why they'd have to wait post-launch or post-post-launch or whatever, especially considering Corrin's game hadn't even been released to Western audiences and the Revelations DLC where you get the Omega Yato wasn't even available until what, a month after launch if you didn't preorder it?
Personally I'm banking on, at the very least, the Sword of Creation to have another lategame form like Yato/Falchion since you seemingly get it really early.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
We need more side-events that feature items at majors.

Okay before you blow up at me since any mention to this kind of topic is taboo, just hear me out.

We once held a side tournament at my local that allowed both players to toggle 1 item of your choice and honestly it was the most fun I've ever had playing Smash. (The casuals were right)

Or maybe I just need play items more. lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally I'm banking on, at the very least, the Sword of Creation to have another lategame form like Yato/Falchion since you seemingly get it really early.
It's possible, but at the same time there's not much you can change on a segmented sword since it already has its "gimmick." I think it very well could just have some sorta aura change to it like Chrom's awakened falchion except with darkness.

And if that's the case Byleth could probably get away with using his base sword anyways.

D

Deleted member

Corrin was announced after the release of Fates.
In Japan, yes.
In America, no. As a result, they came off as a promotional character in the west.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You are free to disagree with it, but I think the time for a promotional Byleth is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I never said they weren't.

But you can promote a game even after its release.
I guess, but I am sticking to my belief that a 3H character won't happen. If I am proven wrong I will admit it, but I don't think it will happen.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I also don't think we'll see another Fire Emblem character but for a different reasoning.
Nintendo has gone out there and contacted 3rd parties about DLC characters. So, unless a deal didn't work out as planned, we won't see another Nintendo character. I doubt a deal won't have success because who doesn't want his character in Smash?

Maybe in another Fighter's Pass but we don't know if we even get a 2nd wave of DLC characters.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I guess, but I am sticking to my belief that a 3H character won't happen. If I am proven wrong I will admit it, but I don't think it will happen.
God, I wish you're right about this. Everytime a new character trailer appears and a sword pops in screen, I prepare for the worst.

Oddball

Smash Lord
We once held a side tournament at my local that allowed both players to toggle 1 item of your choice and honestly it was the most fun I've ever had playing Smash. (The casuals were right)
Is that "you can toggle one item ON" or "you can toggle one item OFF"?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think every possible character ever has moveset potential, after characters like R.O.B or Duck Hunt were introduced. I have no doubts that Sakurai could create a playable Tetromino if he wanted. I'd rather hear "This character should be in because I really like it!" than "Check that moveset potential, dude!"
Considering the amount of clones in this game as well as fighters that borrow from another's kit, moveset potential can be taken very seriously.

:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultyounglink: are all either clones or have bitten off of another fighter in the past. I can see why some people would take moveset potential seriously.

Consider this: I'm going to use Slippy as an example. If I campaigned for Slippy and someone asked me what his moveset would be, would you rather say "well he'd take elements from Fox again," or "He would have a unique moveset that fetures more weapons and items from the Star Fox series." Having a creative moveset is important.

On the topic of a fighter from 3 houses in the game, I would be incredibly disappointed. Right now I really enjoy having all new series being introduced to the game and reverting back to a first party that in my opinion has more than it's fair share of fighters would be another kick in the teeth. I'd rather have a completely new character or series in the game than another Fire Emblem character.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Considering the amount of clones in this game as well as fighters that borrow from another's kit, moveset potential can be taken very seriously.

:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultyounglink: are all either clones or have bitten off of another fighter in the past. I can see why some people would take moveset potential seriously.

Consider this: I'm going to use Slippy as an example. If I campaigned for Slippy and someone asked me what his moveset would be, would you rather say "well he'd take elements from Fox again," or "He would have a unique moveset that fetures more weapons and items from the Star Fox series." Having a creative moveset is important.
I think I haven't expressed myself clearly.
I'm not against creative movesets. Nor I'm in favor of cloning or copying moves from other fighters. I just don't like when people mention that a character should be in the game because of their moveset potential. Everyone has moveset potential.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not against creative movesets. Nor I'm in favor of cloning or copying moves from other fighters. I just don't like when people mention that a character should be in the game because of their moveset potential. Everyone has moveset potential.
But some characters have more unique moveset potential than others. That's like if you responded to K. Rool's popularity by saying, "big deal, EVERY character has fans!"

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
A message to all Palutena mainers:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
But some characters have more unique moveset potential than others. That's like if you responded to K. Rool's popularity by saying, "big deal, EVERY character has fans!"
With enough time and dedication, It would be possible to make a unique moveset for everyone. A better comparison is if we were organizing a soccer match, ok? You have to pick teammates and I'm like "pick me pick me" , you ask why and I respond "cause I'm alive!" Everyone is alive!!!

I know a lot won't agree with what I'm saying, but that's why the thread is called unpopular opinions.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
With enough time and dedication, It would be possible to make a unique moveset for everyone. A better comparison is if we were organizing a soccer match, ok? You have to pick teammates and I'm like "pick me pick me" , you ask why and I respond "cause I'm alive!" Everyone is alive!!!

I know a lot won't agree with what I'm saying, but that's why the thread is called unpopular opinions.
I think I'm more confused than anything.

Yes, any character has moveset potential, but some have more than others. Using that soccer metaphor of yours, if you were told to pick your teammates, you'd naturally want to choose the ones who were best at playing soccer, right? Smash is the same. We want Sakurai to pick the characters who we know for sure have the potential to be unique, not just take a gamble with someone who might be unique if he really tried.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Alright, my bad. I misinterpreted the post, I apologize.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Alright, my bad. I misinterpreted the post, I apologize.
No need to apologize. As I said, I didn't exactly expressed my point clearly. In fact, after I reread my second post, I even confused myself a little... Well, that's it. I don't really have anything to add regarding the moveset potential "issue".

So here's my next controversial opinion: I think Mario's Waluigi outfit makes no sense and should be replaced with Fire Mario!!!

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Even if they were to upgrade one of the assist trophies into a playable fighter, I could think of atleast 10 candidates that are more worthy than Waluigi.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Even if they were to upgrade one of the assist trophies into a playable fighter, I could think of atleast 10 candidates that are more worthy than Waluigi.
I think Waluigi is the most worthy to be promoted to playable in Smash 6, but others include Isaac, Knuckles, Shadow, Bomberman, Akira, and Takamaru. Maybe Alucard. But definitely not Shovel Knight or Yuri.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I think Waluigi is the most worthy to be promoted to playable in Smash 6, but others include Isaac, Knuckles, Shadow, Bomberman, Akira, and Takamaru. Maybe Alucard. But definitely not Shovel Knight or Yuri.
There's moveset potential in everyone. I dare say Sakurai picking Yuri as an Assist in the first place could lead to a Fatal Frame representative someday.

D

Deleted member

I think that Dr.Mario is a sub-series which Nintendo seems to support a lot.

It has gotten games on almost every Nintendo system after the NES, and even got a mobile phone.

I could see why Nintendo would want Dr.Mario content in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I think that Dr.Mario is a sub-series which Nintendo seems to support a lot.

It has gotten games on almost every Nintendo system after the NES, and even got a mobile phone.

I could see why Nintendo would want Dr.Mario content in Smash.
What i mean by that is that the resources that went into making clone character shouldnt have been wasted on Dr Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Clones use resources from other characters to make it in the game. They recycle assets, borrow moves and animations. They are only included to pad out the roster.

Therefore, expecting the Smash team to replace them with an original character frankly isn’t realistic.
How did you procces another character as making a full fledged fighter?

I clearly said

the resources that went into making a clone character
As in time and effort into making a clone character should've been spent on another character that could be a clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom