• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Look man, even other detractors tend to suggest rules that involve multiple stages selected, which all but guarantee you won't always get to play on the stage you want. Also doesn't help that at least some rulesets don't allow Final Destination to be a starter stage.
Okay......
I have no idea what this has to do with my post but alright.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I honestly don't have a problem at all with Quickplay. GSP is as good a matchmaking value as you could hope for from a single number, and 10% of my matches or fewer not fitting the no-items-omega/battlefield criteria is a perfectly acceptable amount. It's way, way better than Smash 4's online. I'd like more customization but it's perfectly playable as is.

I do have a lot of issues with arenas though, and I think they're issues that should have been immediately obvious to the devs. Losing your place in line from viewing any menu, not being able to leave and re-enter spectatorship at will, and not having a mode that keeps the host in the arena at all times have all been major headaches for me and other streamers. Playing with viewers is almost impossible.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
The recent dr mario game news reminded me how poor the dr mario representation in Smash is. It's been 4 games and 18 years and we still don't even have so much as a single stage while game and watch had 3. I hope they atleast add alternate costumes from dr mario world in smash 6.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The recent dr mario game news reminded me how poor the dr mario representation in Smash is. It's been 4 games and 18 years and we still don't even have so much as a single stage while game and watch had 3. I hope they atleast add alternate costumes from dr mario world in smash 6.
That trailer also made me remember how much I want a proper Dr. Mario stage in Smash...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They always half-ass making him stronger but slower, so it's no surprise Dr. Mario content gets the short end of the stick.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Not sure how unpopular this really is, but if we ever do get a Smash rep added to the roster, I honestly think that it should be Sandbag. Tabuu or Master Hand could be cool, but they honestly fit better as bosses like they have been in the past. Beyond that, a Fighting Polygon/Wire Frame would just be boring, and Sandbag having the living tar beaten out of him over the years gives him a perfect reason and narrative for joining the roster.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not sure how unpopular this really is, but if we ever do get a Smash rep added to the roster, I honestly think that it should be Sandbag. Tabuu or Master Hand could be cool, but they honestly fit better as bosses like they have been in the past. Beyond that, a Fighting Polygon/Wire Frame would just be boring, and Sandbag having the living tar beaten out of him over the years gives him a perfect reason and narrative for joining the roster.
Unpopular opinion: Master Hand is the actual face of Smash.

I would throw in the Primid for original Smash character. Sandbag would be interesting.

SSF2 agrees with you there.

(Side note, Sandbag would be hella rad)

Last edited:

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, the discussion essentially sums up everything I didn’t like about it.

Except for the story. I loved the story and the characters. It was emotionally impactful and was pretty fun.

But seriously, what the HELL is Rex’s voice actor doing? He’s so horrible!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, the discussion essentially sums up everything I didn’t like about it.

Except for the story. I loved the story and the characters. It was emotionally impactful and was pretty fun.

But seriously, what the HELL is Rex’s voice actor doing? He’s so horrible!
If we're gonna talk about bad voice acting let's not forget Breath of the Wild.

The editors thought it wouldn't be necessary to change lip movements form the JP version over so everyone's lines extend way after the character's mouths stop moving and vice versa.

D

Deleted member

At this point i think its more important to expand on modes than including new characters. Ultimate and smash 4 are empty games compared melee and brawl. Smash is the only fighting game to be more than just fighting battles. A new character doesnt add that much variety to the game other than a new mu.

UserKev

Smash Champion
At this point i think its more important to expand on modes than including new characters. Ultimate and smash 4 are empty games compared melee and brawl. Smash is the only fighting game to be more than just fighting battles. A new character doesnt add that much variety to the game other than a new mu.
I really love this post, which has some truth to it. Come to think of it, Special Orders and Master Orders really turned out to be repetitive, barely original. But they could have been so much better. I think Sakurai needs to put more patience into Mode creativity.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I agree and would add it brings even less variety to game if you don't like any of the DLC fighters or don't play the game competitively. I hope they have new (fun) modes in store for us rather just reselling modes that were in past games.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Absolutely. Although everyone can appreciate new fighters, Ultimate is disappointingly lacking in extra gamemodes. We lost way too much from Smash 4.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree and would add it brings even less variety to game if you don't like any of the DLC fighters or don't play the game competitively. I hope they have new (fun) modes in store for us rather just reselling modes that were in past games.
I personally think Special Orders can be redone. I'd call it "Hand Events" a Mode that nods to Event Matches. An idea I have for one Match, you have to play against and score higher than the CPU in Home Run Contest. Battle of Metal Marios, Tiny Piranha Plant Vs. Giant Mario, etc

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I honestly don't have a problem at all with Quickplay. GSP is as good a matchmaking value as you could hope for from a single number, and 10% of my matches or fewer not fitting the no-items-omega/battlefield criteria is a perfectly acceptable amount. It's way, way better than Smash 4's online. I'd like more customization but it's perfectly playable as is.

I do have a lot of issues with arenas though, and I think they're issues that should have been immediately obvious to the devs. Losing your place in line from viewing any menu, not being able to leave and re-enter spectatorship at will, and not having a mode that keeps the host in the arena at all times have all been major headaches for me and other streamers. Playing with viewers is almost impossible.
Wow... what an opinion cause I heavily... HEAVILY disagree. There are so many things wrong quickplay. Quickplay is... just mediocre garbage and utterly..... UTTERLY infieorior to what we got in smash 4. First of all, the gsp isn’t even that great and is not the best number for a ranked system. You could have have easily made the gsp number go from high number to low number so we can at least know who has the dinfitive highest gsp on online since it counts down. That’s one.
B, you literally can’t get anything other then 1v1 once you hit elite smash which just sucks for so many players. That in of itself makes quickplay really trashy. At least in smash 4, you were guaranteed to get a team battle.
C, the allowance of those wretched battlefield stage. People are going to disagree with me here but I could give a squat. BATTLEFIELD SUCKS. Terrible stage where I believe people who need handicaps because they lack skill go to play. In smash 4, that dumb stage was rightfully dealt away with in serious gameplay.
D. People not rematching due to how the gsp works. It doesn’t condone people to want to rematch like in smash 4.
E. The absolute stupidity of customization rules which throws people into matches they don’t want to be apart of and they lose gsp because of it. Smash 4 gave us order of a standard which produced more contenful players
F. BANNING TAUNTS. Which encouraged players to teabag instead which is worse.

Fitting I end on F which is exactly what the ideas of this online system deserve. And I seriously doubt you log in that many hours on quickplay to say you like it that much. I doubt you're genuine.

And this is coming from someone who has logged in several hound hours of quickplay, has multiple people in elite smash and has a high gsp with my main. If you go to the smash ultimate online forum, you’ll see how extremely unpopular quickplay is, and for good reason. It’s a piece of trash which I hope everyone who worked on and produce such disgraceful garbage should be ruthlessly fired. What imbeciles. Created the purest representation of stupidity and then like greedy slimy and disgusting snakes charge their buyers 20 bucks for chemical trash.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
If $20 a year matters to you you shouldn't be buying game consoles. Maybe look into EBT if you haven't.
The heck kinda rebuttal is this? This is the best defense you have for smash ultimate online? “20 bucks a year doesn’t matter”. That’s it. Alright man, good discussion. Just more validation why I don’t think you’re serious but rather just an contrarian.

And to wrap things up, if smash 4 gave us a better online for free with less hype and sales then ultimate, then ultimate should have no reason for charging 20 bucks for whatever this excuse of online is. As a matter, I Say they should pay us 20 BUCKS a year for barring with this trash!

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
That, and Nintendo's online services are incredibly mediocre. Smashes onle is dog-**** (it's somehow worst than 4's), and bunch of games that I can play on an emulator (some of which aren't even that great).

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think Rex got kind of screwed with the excuse that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 started development too late for him to make it...when they were talking about DLC. DLC which apparently hadn't started much if any development outside of Plant (likely just a late base game fighter).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think Rex got kind of screwed with the excuse that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 started development too late for him to make it...when they were talking about DLC. DLC which apparently hadn't started much if any development outside of Plant (likely just a late base game fighter).
They were already putting in stuff from XB2 in the base game which is why he wasn't eligable for DLC. It's more like a "Hey, I couldn't get you the toy you wanted for your birthday, but we'll go to Disneyland next month instead". There was already music and spirits in the base game when those are two of the 3 selling points for the challenger packs. The reason he couldn't make it in the base game is because by the time Ultimate was being made, XB2 was pretty early in development without much being set in stone and knowing Sakurai he wants to have the full character finalized before adding them as he has some regrets about Roy in Melee due to the game changing quite drastically while Roy was being added. Pokemon is an exception because one Pokemon isn't nearly as complex as a JRPG protag

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If $20 a year matters to you you shouldn't be buying game consoles. Maybe look into EBT if you haven't.
That, when Smash 4 had practically objectively better online and it was free.

$20 is enough to buy some really great indies out there. Or an amiibo. Or a movie ticket plus snacks.

Other gaming companies are offering for more expensive but way better online. What Nintendo is offering is exactly what you'd expect for only $20 a year. I'd much rather pay $60 a year if it means we had something on par with what Microsoft offers.

That's not how it works, at all. When Ultimate was being developed (as in they were animating and coding sprites, not just throwing ideas on the table), Rex's character was not finished. There was no way he could have possibly been in the base game unless thy seriously delayed it. When it comes to DLC, Rex/Pyra were probably not on the list of characters that Nintendo gave to Sakurai for DLC candidates (seeing as so far all of them have been third party). Things like Spirits or music rips are literally just copy/paste edits into the game and don't require much effort to include.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think we technically do have our "Smash rep" already in the Mii Fighters since they kind of are the playable Fighting Polygon/Wire Frame in both Smash 4 and Ultimate. I know not everyone's fond of the Miis, but they use the Smash symbol and are given a victory theme that is a rendition of the respective game's main theme and of course as aforementioned the Fighting team of each game they've been in.

This wouldn't be the case if they had gone for a moveset inspired by the Wii series games in any case of course (Which I guess the best there is for that is found in Wii Fit Trainer even if that's just Wii Fit. Though I don't think the Trainer would of been included without playable Miis in Smash. Even if the trainer was announced first). But as it stands, it feels like there's enough to count it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

$20 is enough to buy some really great indies out there. Or an amiibo. Or a movie ticket plus snacks.

Other gaming companies are offering for more expensive but way better online. What Nintendo is offering is exactly what you'd expect for only $20 a year. I'd much rather pay $60 a year if it means we had something on par with what Microsoft offers.

That's not how it works, at all. When Ultimate was being developed (as in they were animating and coding sprites, not just throwing ideas on the table), Rex's character was not finished. There was no way he could have possibly been in the base game unless thy seriously delayed it. When it comes to DLC, Rex/Pyra were probably not on the list of characters that Nintendo gave to Sakurai for DLC candidates (seeing as so far all of them have been third party). Things like Spirits or music rips are literally just copy/paste edits into the game and don't require much effort to include.
Not to mention the fact that Nintendo's online services were always rather lacking even when free. I have had my PS3 for about a year but the PSN store constantly had huge discounts for big titles both modern and old. You'd be lucky to even get half off of a Nintendo game

Arthur97

Smash Master
They were already putting in stuff from XB2 in the base game which is why he wasn't eligable for DLC. It's more like a "Hey, I couldn't get you the toy you wanted for your birthday, but we'll go to Disneyland next month instead". There was already music and spirits in the base game when those are two of the 3 selling points for the challenger packs. The reason he couldn't make it in the base game is because by the time Ultimate was being made, XB2 was pretty early in development without much being set in stone and knowing Sakurai he wants to have the full character finalized before adding them as he has some regrets about Roy in Melee due to the game changing quite drastically while Roy was being added. Pokemon is an exception because one Pokemon isn't nearly as complex as a JRPG protag
How does minor stuff from the game disqualify him exactly? Sounds like a fan rule to me. As far as I know, the idea that DLC cannot be from an existing series is a creation of the fans. Especially when adding some songs (not remixed) and some jpegs isn't exactly hard.

And I can get that he may have been too late to join the base roster, but they literally said that while talking about DLC which had not started development by the time his game was already out seeing as Joker wasn't even finished enough for a reveal trailer. They essentially said, yeah he would have made it, but lol, he's not going to be DLC despite that. Don't act like a track or two and some JPEGS is a logical reason.

And Sakurai isn't always so accurate (look at almost any echo).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Cost arguments are dumb. You either didn't care or used another platform for your online needs for one to have stuck with Nintendo's lesser offerings for over a decade; still griping about it either means you think all online subscriptions for consoles are rip-offs or have skewed priorities, and in both cases you're probably being even more stubborn and obstinate than you may claim Nintendo to be. The one and only reason to pay for any subscription, no matter the cost, is because you play a lot of games online, and all other features are just gravy.

Also find it weird that people try to cast the Nintendo Switch Online as Super Smash Bros. Online, as if the 20$ a year cost is exclusively to play Ultimate online. Spending that kind of money just to play one game (that isn't free-to-play) is kind of suspect regardless of the game's quality... would you be OK with paying 60$ a year to play Call Of Duty online exclusively?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How does minor stuff from the game disqualify him exactly? Sounds like a fan rule to me. As far as I know, the idea that DLC cannot be from an existing series is a creation of the fans. Especially when adding some songs (not remixed) and some jpegs isn't exactly hard.

And I can get that he may have been too late to join the base roster, but they literally said that while talking about DLC which had not started development by the time his game was already out seeing as Joker wasn't even finished enough for a reveal trailer. They essentially said, yeah he would have made it, but lol, he's not going to be DLC despite that. Don't act like a track or two and some JPEGS is a logical reason.

They said it hadn't started active development. That doesn't factor in the negotiation process, which very likely took place much earlier.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

So far the DLC hasn't included anything with Spirits. XB2 had spirits. I'm not saying they went "Ah damn we already included XB2 spirits and songs! How are we supposed to add Rex now?" But rather "Yeah we aren't putting him in as DLC. Let's put some spirits and songs in as a consolation prize alongside some mii costumes". Despite Nintendo choosing the characters themselves the only promotional pick so far is arguably Hero but that's ignoring how huge Dragon Quest is in Japan and how much the Japanese wanted a DQ character. It seems that Nintendo doesn't want any 'shill' picks at all and thought "Eh, Rex would seem more like a marketing stunt for his game" or were worried about overlap in the fanbase

Arthur97

Smash Master
They said it hadn't started active development. That doesn't factor in the negotiation process, which very likely took place much earlier.
They still could have planned for it since the game did finish before Smash did. I still say he got screwed, and probably cause they're so gung ho on third party DLC.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They still could have planned for it since the game did finish before Smash did. I still say he got screwed, and probably cause they're so gung ho on third party DLC.
That's a huge assumption. It sounds to me like you're implying that they compared Rex to other third party characters and chose them over him, or that they wanted third parties so badly that they never considered Rex in the first place. The problem with your logic is that they certainly did consider Rex for the game and even acknowledged his popularity during the November direct, but they ultimately decided that he would take too long to develop and did not fit in the DLC. Sakurai's list was probably handed to him by Nintendo a while before that direct anyway, which means negotiations with other companies were well under way.

Besides, with that logic people could be arguning that any character got screwed by third party DLC. I don't see any reason to start complaining that some of my favorites like Bandana Dee or Waluigi got unfairly treated simply because of the DLC lineup.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404

Isn't Microsoft $10 a month?

Anyway, my memory of Smash 4's online is that it was completely unplayable. A slideshow. Any online mode that I can play the game on is a step up from that, and I don't share any of the other complaints that have been listed about Quickplay. I could go into details about each one if you really want me to, but it doesn't sound like it would be productive for either party.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I know it's popular to hate on Smash Ultimate's online... but if I honestly only find 4's marginally better... marginally to the point where I don't think it makes an effective difference in much of anything. Both the online modes struggle from some serious issues with net code (which is partially the fault of Nintendo and their design for the Switch as well, and not including a proper Ethernet connection port in their machines). I get how if you played a ton of Smash 4, you'll prefer that system, but I effectively think Smash online play has never existed in a stable or good form. To the point where I don't even seriously consider online a feature of the games for myself to use beyond dealing with the bull**** challenges for Ultimate.

I also think that Brawl, and especially Melee get too much credit for having "modes" in comparison to Ultimate. Like it's nice seeing all those options on the menu and having occasional distractions, but a lot of them weren't that great. I found the Subspace Emissary pretty comparable to World of Light in enjoyment factor, with the singular exception of better cut scenes and story in Subspace, but from a pure gameplay perspective... meh. The best part of both modes was Boss Battles, which I'll give some credit to Brawl for having the mode in the game (I really hope Sakurai brings that back in some form for Ultimate). Event Mode was probably at its worst in Brawl honestly, I did not enjoy that version much. Target Smash in Brawl was just a complete failure to me. All-Star mode was already becoming just a giant pain in the ass by Brawl and wasn't particularly fun more than once or twice. Classic Mode was randomized and pretty standard by then, and after having played Classic Mode 25 times for Mr. Game and Watch in Melee, it just wasn't fun anymore. Coin Launcher for trophies was actually really damn fun though.

Melee especially doesn't have as much meat as I think people want to believe it does. I think it had the best Event Mode in the games with some serious difficulty that forced you to earn your victory and completion. I also really did enjoy the Target Smash mode being tailored to each character because that actually worked super well and was fun to complete them all. Those are the best advantages the game had in comparison to other titles. I think the Adventure mode was actually super cool, but it also didn't really have much for you once you'd seen been through it. It brought a little bit of gameplay variation that lost its newness after you'd seen the trick and knew exactly what to do. Classic Mode was only really all the fine because it was new, but suffered from the same thing. And All-Star was only enjoyable because it was short enough to not make you hate yourself for ever playing it more than once. The three main modes are enjoyable, but don't offer the kind of variation that makes them super replayable.

Ultimate had a competently put together single player campaign in World of Light, a nice distraction mode with event match qualities in Spirit Board, introduced new versus features like Smash Down and Squad Strike while also keeping Tourney, had Classic Modes individually tailored to every character in the game which made Classic even enjoyable again and actually properly replayable for the first time in ages (or maybe even ever), and it included Multi-Man Smash with a compromised version of All-Star since that mode had grown unbearably awful in its classic form. Then we got Stage Builder and a Video Editor, and we may well end up with more by the end of DLC. Sure, I'll agree that it could use a little bit more inspiration in some places and some more specifically non-Smash related modes to break things up, but I don't think Ultimate's in a bad place content wise. And I think particularly Melee and Brawl get a little too much credit for their offerings when they weren't always that great anyway (in my opinion) and suffered from bigger problems (particularly Brawl had actually unusable online, horrible balance, and awful design decisions like the speed and tripping).

D

Deleted member

Besides a few characters here and there, and inevitable new characters from certain franchises in the future, I really think we're running out of A-list Nintendo characters to add to Smash. In the past, Smash Bros. has relied on adding new characters to keep things fresh because Nintendo's IP is vast and there were always more characters to add. But now.....the list is not as big as it was. So how do you keep things fresh? I'd say do what other fighting games do: offer more customization.

That's right--CUSTOM MOVES DID NOTHING WRONG. Okay that may not be true but I LOVED the concept of custom moves, just was a little disappointed in their execution and limits and unlocking them of course. But the solution was not to get rid of them!!! The solution was to do it better.

Originally, when custom moves were revealed, I thought that you could manually adjust special moves--like you'd move a dial to make Mario's fireballs larger and slower on one end, or faster and smaller on the other end. That's one idea, though I think many characters would benefit from more personal attention being put into their custom moves. Ideally, most if not all characters would have at least some completely unique custom specials, like Palutena. Some were absolutely brilliant and tons of fun, like all of Mega Man's which were actual moves from his games, or Luigi's Iceball, Pikachu's Discharge and Thundershock, Charizard's Dragon Rush, Link's Giant Bombs, Kirby's Ice Breath, Samus' Relentless Missiles and Screw Rush, Zero Suit Samus' Shooting Star Flipkick and Plasma Dash--etc. etc. etc. I'm telling you guys, if you didn't have fun playing around with these moves then you were doing it wrong. There were a LOT of custom moves that I really preferred over their normal ones too. In fact, some did get implemented to a certain degree in Ultimate, like Samus' Super Missile being a little like her Turbo Missile now, and of course Palutena's Explosive Flame being a part of her moveset.

I miss custom moves so much!!! They would also resolve so many issues people have with certain characters like Ganondorf or Mario--want to play as Mario but you hate FLUDD? Use his original Mario Tornado as a custom special. Or maybe you want to replace Cape with a Cappy throw. Want Ganondorf to have his dead man's volley attack? Here you go. Samus could have her various beam weapons, or fire Ice Missiles. Olimar could have Rock Pikmin. Link could have square Remote Bombs, or his traditional bombs. Toon Link's Boomerang could be replaced with Deku Leaf. Donkey could have his Giant Punch replaced with his Coconut Gun, which fires in spurts. Rosalina could use Lubba instead of Luma. You could give every character a counter. Imagine the possibilities! The sky is the lim--no! There is no limit! Every character could be tailored to your preference and playing matches with friends or strangers would never be dull! Whether you want to surprise others with your character's customizations, or you want to stay on your toes by reacting and adapting to someone else's customizations, the need for new characters to keep things fresh would be reduced. Combine all this with more costumes and it's perfect. I mean they could even sell custom moves/costumes as DLC. So many options. So many dreams.....dreams that were shattered....broken, never to be repaired, because people did not understand the gift they had been given--alas, for a brief time only. Such is the way of things.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Besides a few characters here and there, and inevitable new characters from certain franchises in the future, I really think we're running out of A-list Nintendo characters to add to Smash. In the past, Smash Bros. has relied on adding new characters to keep things fresh because Nintendo's IP is vast and there were always more characters to add. But now.....the list is not as big as it was. So how do you keep things fresh? I'd say do what other fighting games do: offer more customization.

That's right--CUSTOM MOVES DID NOTHING WRONG. Okay that may not be true but I LOVED the concept of custom moves, just was a little disappointed in their execution and limits and unlocking them of course. But the solution was not to get rid of them!!! The solution was to do it better.

Originally, when custom moves were revealed, I thought that you could manually adjust special moves--like you'd move a dial to make Mario's fireballs larger and slower on one end, or faster and smaller on the other end. That's one idea, though I think many characters would benefit from more personal attention being put into their custom moves. Ideally, most if not all characters would have at least some completely unique custom specials, like Palutena. Some were absolutely brilliant and tons of fun, like all of Mega Man's which were actual moves from his games, or Luigi's Iceball, Pikachu's Discharge and Thundershock, Charizard's Dragon Rush, Link's Giant Bombs, Kirby's Ice Breath, Samus' Relentless Missiles and Screw Rush, Zero Suit Samus' Shooting Star Flipkick and Plasma Dash--etc. etc. etc. I'm telling you guys, if you didn't have fun playing around with these moves then you were doing it wrong. There were a LOT of custom moves that I really preferred over their normal ones too. In fact, some did get implemented to a certain degree in Ultimate, like Samus' Super Missile being a little like her Turbo Missile now, and of course Palutena's Explosive Flame being a part of her moveset.

I miss custom moves so much!!! They would also resolve so many issues people have with certain characters like Ganondorf or Mario--want to play as Mario but you hate FLUDD? Use his original Mario Tornado as a custom special. Or maybe you want to replace Cape with a Cappy throw. Want Ganondorf to have his dead man's volley attack? Here you go. Samus could have her various beam weapons, or fire Ice Missiles. Olimar could have Rock Pikmin. Link could have square Remote Bombs, or his traditional bombs. Toon Link's Boomerang could be replaced with Deku Leaf. Donkey could have his Giant Punch replaced with his Coconut Gun, which fires in spurts. Rosalina could use Lubba instead of Luma. You could give every character a counter. Imagine the possibilities! The sky is the lim--no! There is no limit! Every character could be tailored to your preference and playing matches with friends or strangers would never be dull! Whether you want to surprise others with your character's customizations, or you want to stay on your toes by reacting and adapting to someone else's customizations, the need for new characters to keep things fresh would be reduced. Combine all this with more costumes and it's perfect. I mean they could even sell custom moves/costumes as DLC. So many options. So many dreams.....dreams that were shattered....broken, never to be repaired, because people did not understand the gift they had been given--alas, for a brief time only. Such is the way of things.
I think the main problem was it's implausible to give everyone super varied custom moves and still meet the deadline, unless you have a very small roster.

Not to mention most people don't care about specials as much as they care about the characters themselves.

D

Deleted member

I think the main problem was it's implausible to give everyone super varied custom moves and still meet the deadline, unless you have a very small roster.

Not to mention most people don't care about specials as much as they care about the characters themselves.
I knew someone would bring up something to the effect of "it's not practical". Actually, anything is practical if you have enough manpower and resources. Look at the pyramids of Giza. Now look back at Smash Brothers. Don't tell me something can't be done because it's too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom