• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Well, I admit I was wrong on both Erdreick and Banjo. Although I didn't expect Edrick to be a alternative costume.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... These reveals were sort of whelming. Just looking at the DQ Hero is seemed like a Link echo until they showed off their unique mechanic, and Banjo just seemed sort of bland. Just from the tiny bit we see of him, his move-set didn't very inspired (I know it's suppose to be a joke, but he literally had DH b-air).

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I enjoyed Banjo's reveal trailer more than Banjo himself. Seeing K Rool just chilling in DK's house just seemed very funny to me.
Also honestly would have been more excited if both characters weren't leaked to all heck. Spoil the fun of speculating why don'tcha? It's not like people like surprises or anything.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to have sword Goku in the game as long as we also get Duck Hunt 2.0 /s

In all seriousness I hope both these characters have strong offensive options or have an aggressive playstyle. It'll be lame if running away and spamming magic spells/eggs was the optimal way to play these characters.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I don't live in Japan so I don't know what Persona or Dragon Quest are. I didn't grow up with Banjo but I'm happy he's in just because he's a western IP, and we really, really need more of those.

Here's hoping one of the two remaining characters will be from a game I've played.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Well then, I'll get this out while it's fresh: Three fighters in, and I still am not convinced to buy the Fighter's Pass. The way things currently are going, I probably won't get it at all.
I have to agree. I'm kind of disappointed with the pack, none of the characters so far are exciting to me. RIP

Still holding out for Toad and Dixie...

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree. I'm kind of disappointed with the pack, none of the characters so far are exciting to me. RIP

Not gonna lie I thought the start of Banjo's trailer was for Dixie Kong. I didn't even see the Jiggy piece the first time.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Same, actually. At this point, I'm not even holding out for just my most wanted (Elma) anymore. I just want any Nintendo character to make it in, and not an endless amount of third-party characters that I have zero interest in. Isaac, Dixie, Bandana Dee, a new Pikmin or F-Zero character. . . just give me someone that's not Rex from XBC2.

Not gonna lie I thought the start of Banjo's trailer was for Dixie Kong. I didn't even see the Jiggy piece the first time.
I thought so as well. That hope obviously didn't last long, though.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah... These reveals were sort of whelming. Just looking at the DQ Hero is seemed like a Link echo until they showed off their unique mechanic, and Banjo just seemed sort of bland. Just from the tiny bit we see of him, his move-set didn't very inspired (I know it's suppose to be a joke, but he literally had DH b-air).
All of Banjo and Kazooie' moves are literally taken from their games as if they were copy pasted. That move you said it's DH's Bair, they actually did it first in Banjo Kazooie. Calling their moveset uninspired is just inaccurate, as characters are supposed to take after their source material. Really don't know what you were expecting.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Same, actually. At this point, I'm not even holding out for just my most wanted (Elma) anymore. I just want any Nintendo character to make it in, and not an endless amount of third-party characters that I have zero interest in.
They're all going to be third parties, man. It's what the fans want and it's what benefits both companies.

Hold out hope for later DLC maybe, but almost certainly not this pack.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just gonna repost this one from a while back in light of the apparent influx of "banjo is boring" comments...
I don't believe every new character needs to have some sort of gimmick to be unique or provide something new to the game. I've seen so many people write off the moveset potential of folks like Geno and Bandana Dee as boring "ordinary fighter" movesets just because they wouldn't have some silly meter under their portrait, and frankly, it just seems silly to me. [...] Sure, when there are over 70 characters in the game, it can be easy to tread over old ground with some of them, but that doesn't mean that anyone without some sort of cheesy gimmick should be immediately written off as boring.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This reads like "I hate meters and gimmicks" than a legit defense argument, tbh.
Maybe to you it does, but regardless, it really feels like the main reason people are so quick to call Banjo "boring" and "generic" is because he doesn't have some flashy gimmick (like, say, a meter, as has been done with other otherwise ordinary newcomers) to make him stand out. That couldn't be further from the truth, in my opinion.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe to you it does, but regardless, it really feels like the main reason people are so quick to call Banjo "boring" and "generic" is because he doesn't have some flashy gimmick (like, say, a meter, as has been done with other otherwise ordinary newcomers) to make him stand out. That couldn't be further from the truth, in my opinion.
Ridley didn't have a gimmick yet he was far from boring. Belmont didn't really have a gimmick either and Belmont was hype as hell. One can argue Revenge is a gimmick but outside of that Incineroar wasn't boring. Banjo was though. Brave was too sadly although I need more details to understand them

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ridley didn't have a gimmick yet he was far from boring. Belmont didn't really have a gimmick either and Belmont was hype as hell. One can argue Revenge is a gimmick but outside of that Incineroar wasn't boring. Banjo was though. Brave was too sadly although I need more details to understand them
Which is subjective. Some people, even those who wanted Ridley, have said that they didn't find their moveset appealing once they tried him out. Not that I'm one of those. And I found Banjo & Kazooie's moveset anything but boring.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
That the DQ Hero has a menu gimmick at all automatically makes him an instant pass. IMO That's an incredibly forced way to try to make a character unique.
You may as well do the same for Megaman so that he can use more Robot Master's powers and allow Villager to swap between 15 different item slots so you can hold multiple items.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm definitely happy Banjo has opened the doors for Western IP's. Give me Scorpion next Smash.

D

Deleted member

I was more excited over wol being shown in the trailer than DQ. I thought that maybe there would be dlc for wol that would make it interesting, specifically new bosses because that was the real higlight of glorified event mode.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I don't live in Japan so I don't know what Persona or Dragon Quest are.
Oh wow, Philadelphia must be in Japan now.

Anyways, I think it's very telling that the DQ trailer got a completely new environment and 4 high quality character models in the pre-rendered section... while the only new assets in the Banjo trailer were Banjo and Kazooie themselves.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely happy Banjo has opened the doors for Western IP's. Give me Scorpion next Smash.
Glad that tired "No Western IPs" fan rule is finally dead. Alot of my dream picks are actually from companies and indie games in the West. If I can get just one of them I'll be truly satisfied with the fighter pass.
I was more excited over wol being shown in the trailer than DQ. I thought that maybe there would be dlc for wol that would make it interesting, specifically new bosses because that was the real higlight of glorified event mode.
Fingers crossed for a Boss Rush Mode in the future.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
My first thought was that it was a trailer for Porky, but when it cut to DK, Diddy and K Rool I thought it was Dixie.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Anyways, I think it's very telling that the DQ trailer got a completely new environment and 4 high quality character models in the pre-rendered section... while the only new assets in the Banjo trailer were Banjo and Kazooie themselves.
And I think you are being petty.

Three pages ago, people were saying that Banjo & Kazooie were the most boring possible choices with little moveset potential (oldest bull**** argument in the book), despite there not being any gameplay trailer at the time for reference (clairvoyance powers, y'all). So why I'm not surprised that post-reveal those exact same people are singing the same tune but come off as fruitless attempts at damage control and saving face?

We get it, you didn't want Banjo and Kazooie in which is why you were desperately downplaying them. But now that they are a reality, you seem keen on using any potential flaw against them. Yes, their trailer reused some assets from the King K. Rool trailer... and was extremely well delivered partially because it was a reference at how King. K. Rool, Diddy and the DK Country world were created by the same people who made Banjo-Kazooie thus making them sibling franchises in a way. But you said that the Banjo trailer was very telling... of what exactly?

Also, if I have to take a guess, people like you probably didn't grow in the N64 era and never played these games at the time. So the main reason why you don't care about them or their inclusion is because of your ignorance of the characters. It's hard to relate to something you didn't experience.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
And I think you are being petty.

Three pages ago, people were saying that Banjo & Kazooie were the most boring possible choices with little moveset potential (oldest bull**** argument in the book), despite there not being any gameplay trailer at the time for reference (clairvoyance powers, y'all). So why I'm not surprised that post-reveal those exact same people are singing the same tune but come off as fruitless attempts at damage control and saving face?

We get it, you didn't want Banjo and Kazooie in which is why you were desperately downplaying them. But now that they are a reality, you seem keen on using any potential flaw against them. Yes, their trailer reused some assets from the King K. Rool trailer... and was extremely well delivered partially because it was a reference at how King. K. Rool, Diddy and the DK Country world were created by the same people who made Banjo-Kazooie thus making them sibling franchises in a way. But you said that the Banjo trailer was very telling... of what exactly?

Also, if I have to take a guess, people like you probably didn't grow in the N64 era and never played these games at the time. So the main reason why you don't care about them or their inclusion is because of your ignorance of the characters. It's hard to relate to something you didn't experience.
I wasn't trying to come off as petty.

I said:
"I think it's very telling that the DQ trailer got a completely new environment and 4 high quality character models in the pre-rendered section... while the only new assets in the Banjo trailer were Banjo and Kazooie themselves."

Nintendo put a lot more effort into the DQ trailer than the Banjo one.
The money went into the consistently popular/relevant pick while the fanservice pick got a well-received joke re-used that required the minimal amount of new assets. It was an observation.

You're right, I didn't grow up with Banjo. I don't hate him, but I would've personally preferred most other characters under Microsoft's wing.
I'm neutral about his inclusion; the only thing that bothers me are how certain fans of his acted/are acting.

There was no "desperate downplaying"; admittedly, I could've worded things slightly better instead of letting a stupid and banal comment get to me and color the rest of my post.
I'm not going to let the inclusion of one character I'm personally "eh" on drag things down, or steadily complain about them months/years later or anything.

Sorry that discourse is so jumpy right now that my comment came off as something that it wasn't intended to be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I find funny about Banjo & Kazooie is that the duo basically reuses K. Rool's reveal trailer. But when you consider that K. Rool was created by Rare when it used to be affiliated with Nintendo, recycling K. Rool's trailer for another Rare character (preferably one who had some sort of affiliation with the Donkey Kong series) does make sense.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick's trailer was more hype than Banjo's. Then again, maybe that's because when I saw the jigsaw, I immediately just froze.

Also, friend of mine in Japan sent me a video of people reacting to DQ in Smash and it was so wholesome. They were so excited and rightfully so!

Did you watch the trailer? We got a new stage too in Spiral Mountain.

Then again, you probably saw it and thought nothing of it, since you seem so intent on bashing Banjo without knowing much about him.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Also, friend of mine in Japan sent me a video of people reacting to DQ in Smash and it was so wholesome. They were so excited and rightfully so!
Have a link? Most of the reactions I've seen are either unenthused silence or plain mockery.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Breath of the Wild 2 was more hype than the rest of the direct combined. Not even Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash can top that.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular Opinion. BotW wasn't that great. I thought that combat was incredibly lackluster (dodge into parry... rinse & repeat), and weapon durability system was a huge buzz kill. It got to the point where I started avoiding most fights due to them usually not being worth it. A lot of the side quest were really un-interesting (except for a few like the one where you fight the dragon on the mountain), and the enemy variety was lacking (moblin, big moblin, black moblin, big black moblin, fire lizard boy, eletric lizard boy, multiple rock bosses that are all pretty much the same fight, another Lynel, etc...).

Also, the story wasn't very interesting, and the dungeons were super forgettable. The only one I remember is the giraffe robot dugeon where you fight Thunder Blight Ganon (or whatever his name was), but that's only because I didn't have the proper gear to fight him so it took forever for him to die.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I haven't played BotW but I hope they go full-on Majora with the dark overtones in the sequel. We'll never get another Majora but I'd love some Poe **** anyway.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm glad Banjo and Kazooie don't seem to rely on some gimmick like most newcomers do now.

Unpopular Opinion. BotW wasn't that great. I thought that combat was incredibly lackluster (dodge into parry... rinse & repeat), and weapon durability system was a huge buzz kill. It got to the point where I started avoiding most fights due to them usually not being worth it. A lot of the side quest were really un-interesting (except for a few like the one where you fight the dragon on the mountain), and the enemy variety was lacking (moblin, big moblin, black moblin, big black moblin, fire lizard boy, eletric lizard boy, multiple rock bosses that are all pretty much the same fight, another Lynel, etc...).

Also, the story wasn't very interesting, and the dungeons were super forgettable. The only one I remember is the giraffe robot dugeon where you fight Thunder Blight Ganon (or whatever his name was), but that's only because I didn't have the proper gear to fight him so it took forever for him to die.
Fully agreed. I'm convinced it get's so much praise because it's probably most Nintendo fans' first modern open world game.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad Banjo and Kazooie don't seem to rely on some gimmick like most newcomers do now.

Fully agreed. I'm convinced it get's so much praise because it's probably most Nintendo fans' first modern open world game.
A feather gauge was spotted in their trailer when using certain specials.

Seems like you spoke too soon.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

How is this Smash related.

Just curious where you're going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom