• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The former was talking about it on a comment page-turned-impromptu-chatroom (long story) that's since way been pushed back, the latter leading up to the release of 4 rather than Ultimate.
I know, awfully convenient. But you'll just have to take my word for it.

As for the rest of you, I didn't used to be this bitter. I just got sick and tired of all the feelings of entitlement this fanbase has. I haven't had a break from all the infighting and flame wars about whose characters are better than whose and what facts can conveniently be twisted to support your character and treating someone's specific inclusion as a social justice victory and anything involving "representation" for almost a decade now, and it really does come across to me as, well...
I've stayed out of it, just let the fights happen and stepped away from the fandom for four years, and the game as a whole for two of those.
You do whatever you want. But if you're insulting everybody (because yes, "gready spoiled brat" is an insult), what do you expect?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You do whatever you want. But if you're insulting everybody (because yes, "gready spoiled brat" is an insult), what do you expect?
I assume you were still typing when I made this edit. I apologize for exploding.

EDIT: I'll change my statement, because I acknowledge that I went too far.

It's fine to want someone, but if you debate about it and demand it instead of just supporting, that's crossing the line.

And asking for characters to be removed is still just plain ridiculous.

EDIT: And while I'm at it, some less inflammatory unpopular opinions.
• I wish :ulticeclimbers: and :ultduckhunt: got the :pit:treatment and used their presence in Smash to get their own games again. The former's original game doesn't even use the trait they're most famous for, and wasn't well-received in the first place. The latter's game can barely even be played anymore due to changing TV technology; there is the Wii U VC version, but that only goes so far, not to mention the change in his personality.
• World of Light was fine. Yeah, it kinda bites that Sakurai didn't want to do another SSE because of YouTube, and it does have a length problem, but I AM poysonally fine with what we got. (And it's a lot more fun if you cheese through it overpowered, IMO.)
• I do wish Mushroomy Kingdom had its 1-2 form available again. I always found that one more fun to play on than the 1-1 form.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You can debate about your ideal character option, to be fair. ...Demanding it, however, is definitely entitlement.

Though there's nothing wrong with wanting characters to be removed either. That's just a preference. Everybody has their own ideal rosters. It doesn't mean that their reasonings isn't worth criticism, really.

Now for one of my own; when it comes to having specific franchises getting characters, the first character shouldn't inherently be the mascot. They should be someone who is able to remotely represent the gameplay or abilities of the franchise well(which is why Pikachu still works). It's why I consider Villager the best first character to add to AC(Tom Nook was only ideal otherwise for me because him using the various tools and items is... just what I would expect. More or less, same moveset). Anybody else are great options, but not if you want to represent the core gameplay, which only the Nooks and Villager can properly do as is. That's what they're more known for, an item ensemble. Isabelle is not known for that, so her having the moveset she does is pretty much a consequence of Villager already existing. I honestly believe she'd have been way more unique if she was added as the first AC character, with maybe Pocket as the only notable thing from Villager at best. She's more about work projects than using items in the same way. I'm still glad we finally got the Fishing Rod, though, and I'm glad she's the second character overall.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
This whole discussion sounds to me like a whole lot of caring too much.

Let the babies cry about their characters and don't be a baby crying about babies crying about their characters. Life's too short. Any serious emotional investment in a video game is too much emotional investment. Just let it slide on by.

CJzex-6UcAE1PpD.png

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This whole discussion sounds to me like a whole lot of caring too much.

Let the babies cry about their characters and don't be a baby crying about babies crying about their characters. Life's too short. Any serious emotional investment in a video game is too much emotional investment. Just let it slide on by.

View attachment 219069
I understand your view about this, but my situation is a bit separated from the game. It's not about the characters.

(Warning, I'm about to be a total chatterbox. I have tried to restrain myself, but I can't figure out how to spell out my exact problem without spilling into a wall of text oh dear god I'm even doing that with this disclaimer, aren't I...)

It's about a general problem I have with stress and intrusive thoughts, and how being around people throwing a disproportionate amount of mud and knives at each other for long periods of time... like say, nonstop for seven years at this point*... tends to exacerbate those problems.
Then when I try to do something innocuous related to that mud/knife throwing, surprise surprise! I can't think of anything but that when doing the thing. I can no longer enjoy the thing until the memory dulls and stops barging in uninvited. And because the thing is frequently what I'm doing at the time to de-stress, I've been suddenly cut off from a major outlet. I try to ignore it, I try to just like the thing anyway, but it's never any good. That usually just gets me thinking about it more.

This isn't just a problem with Smash. It's a problem with most things I try to enjoy but ultimately can't because I'm too bothered by having nobody to talk to about my interests to stay away from the fandoms, even if I know they're a very bad idea--My close friends and I tend to not share interests, Smash being one of them, so I usually have to wait to talk around them.

That's probably why I can't shut up when I do get a chance to talk, come to think of it... like a shaken-up soda bottle.

Yes, I do have issues. I'm already being treated for them. That doesn't mean I'm cured.

(*My mistake before... I just cannot get it through my head that Brawl's lifespan crossed decades, I always think of it as a "late 2000s" thing, not a "early 2010s" thing...)
(*Also, it was nonstop because I may have taken a break from here for four years, but I was part of the Super Smash Flash 2 backroom for most of that time, so I was still in its community. Also I used Miiverse regularly.)
(*...I wasn't fired from the SSF2BR, if that's what you're thinking. Something else happened there that crossed the moral event horizon, and that made me not only quit the BR but burn my bridge to that community and stop playing SSF2 permanently. I've only opened that game once since July 2017, and that was to take measurements for the World Tournament stage for Stage Builder.)
(*Oh for :ultfox: sake I did it again...)

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I am hoping the remaining 4 DLC aren't all third party. Since there might be an interesting first party pick.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I would love to have very obscure characters as DLC, but that's not going to happen :( ...
Same, honestly. Though I personally highly doubt that every DLC character for the Figher's Pass is going to be a huge, widely popular crowd pleaser.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
In the ongoing tradition of "two people post something so it must be popular so I'm going to post the opposite of that opinion,"

Obscure characters defeat the entire purpose of Smash Bros., which in my opinion is seeing characters you would never get to see fight each other outside of fanfiction. Far better to please the many thousands of "What if Cloud fought..." people than the two or three "What if Daigoroh fought..." people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it needs to be a mix of famous and obscure characters.

Granted, the character can't be a literall nobody but cult classics like Earthbound and Xenoblade only make the game more fun.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Everyone here realizes that every video game character was obscure at one point, right? Or did you forget to do your video game history homework?

I personally think Smash should be a mix between like 60-70% bigger name characters (not necessarily "famous" or anything) and the rest be lesser known ones (Indie, retro, etc.) to add variety without adding confusion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I wish Smash became more friendly to the "one off" character, especially if the character is from one of Nintendo's top 5 IP's. The relevancy merit is one of the most bs circumstances.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I wish Smash became more friendly to the "one off" character, especially if the character is from one of Nintendo's top 5 IP's. The relevancy merit is one of the most bs circumstances.
If the character is the main character from one of their top 5 IP's then the character is relevant. I don't understand the confusion here.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The "No one-offs" gripe people have sucks considering a bunch of Smash characters are already one-offs as well.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Assist Trophies are the absolute worst. People would argue "it's just a fan rule that says Assist Trophies won't be upgraded through DLC," but I believe you guys are fooling yourself with that. Sakurai changes his mind from time to time, but he seems more consistent when it comes to his views on Assit Trophy Characters, which is "this character doesn't deserve the time to make playable."

When Assist Trophies first started out it was his way to include characters that he doesn't believe he could make playable. Ever since Assist Trophies were a thing we only got three Assist Trophies upgrade. "Oh, so that means he doesn't think those characters aren't worth the time," well take a closer look at the 3 Assist Upgrades. We got Little Mac for Smash 4 who got in because of Punch-Out for the Wii which gave him a new look and Giga Mac for a Final Smash. Next we got Dark Samus in Ultimate, who is just a clone (and we all agree that her Assist Trophy version has a more unique movest). And last we got Isabelle, who is a 50% clone of Villager. So two of the most recent upgraded Assist Trophies are clones and the only one who got a unique moveset was because he got a new game. So it seems like Sakurai isn't give that much attention to Assist Trophy characters.

Now let's look at Sakurai's past comments. When Waluigi was revealed in Smash 4 he said Waluigi won't be playable because of that. Now look at what Sakurai said when Piranha Plant was revealed, "Plant joins Smash Bros, but not as an Assist." That comment shows that Sakurai himself views these Assist Trophy roles as very unimportant. If that's how Sakurai views them then he's not going to promote any of those characters.

"Being an Assist Trophy is an honor," is a load of bolloks. No, there is no honor in a character being an Assist Trophy. In fact, it would've been better if the character isn't in at all. What value do they add? They add nothing because the only way you can see them is through RNG, I've played Smash Ultimate for a long time and I still haven't seen Bomberman in action outside of a Spirit Battle. With these characters being an Assist it screws their chances over and is Sakurai way of saying "Piranha Plant is way more important than that character. We won't bother including him/her in as DLC, so let's make them an item and never get a chance again." When these characters get revealed as an Assist it takes away the support for that character. Barely anyone talks about those characters that got screwed over. It would be better for these characters to never have gotten in as an Assist Trophy because that would means we can still support them and won't get those hate art of deconfirmed characters being stuck as Assist.

Assist Trophy sucks. Sakurai's way of meeting fans of these characters half way is just terrible. Either go all the way or don't do it at all. Imagine if they just didn't develop 17 Assist Trophies, they probably could've gotten Piranha Plant done in time. Or maybe we could've gotten another stage. Or maybe Sakurai could've taken a break. Sakurai complains that he works so much, so how about they stop wasting time on creating Assist Trophies and doesn't nothing but make people upset?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Fully agreed despite what the well catered to Sakurai circle jerkers will tell you.
Comments like these make me really question why some "criticisms" are so warranted in the community.

I mean you can be upset about Assist Trophies, but, while the insistence that Sakurai personally upset you is absolutely your prerogative and your choice, it is not a valid criticism. Why? Because this kind of emotional probing has nothing to do with an actual game outside of contrarian pot-stirring.

This is especially telling when you try to bait a reaction from people by accusing them of circle-jerking.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Even though they’ve become an infamous stereotype in the Smash community, I’ve actually grown attached to anime swordfighters even more.

I dunno there’s a certain charm about pretty boys like :ultlink::ultmarth::ultroy:etc that I’m starting like or simply because I’m starting to like swords as a weapon.

Plus, I co-main heavy sworders like :ultike::ultcloud: and I find :ultganondorf:‘s DORIYAH meme funny making me wish he’d use his sword more since it has a cool design.

Or maybe it’s just because I’m settling for them until Isaac and Sora (my most wanted in terms of “anime sword-wielders”) get in lol.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I liked Ridley more as a stage boss, and miss pyrosphere. It was incredibly satisfying to get Ridley to team up with you, or KO him. Ultimate Ridley just doesn't do it for me, and despite being a giant purple lizard space dragon his move-set just comes across as dull.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I liked Ridley more as a stage boss, and miss pyrosphere. It was incredibly satisfying to get Ridley to team up with you, or KO him. Ultimate Ridley just doesn't do it for me, and despite being a giant purple lizard space dragon his move-set just comes across as dull.
Even better, why not have both? If Duck Hunt can be playable and a stage element, surely it would be possible to have Ridley be playable, AND be a stage hazard; the Other M incarnation would cover the stage hazard role.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
That could work, but I highly doubt Sakurai would do that. It seems like Sakurai tends to treat minor stuff like the sprite version of DH & the PNG of DDD on DL way differently than what essentially a full fledge character, but with massive pro-portions.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit knows how to read, and is just lying to us all
Even better, why not have both? If Duck Hunt can be playable and a stage element, surely it would be possible to have Ridley be playable, AND be a stage hazard; the Other M incarnation would cover the stage hazard role.
8 Ridleys fighting a bigger Ridley would’ve been awesome to have had

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That's more of a headcanon than an unpopular opinion.
It could go either way for us Pit mains...you know...the rare players who heavily rely on Earth to make us feel special

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Even though I'm part of the Assist Alliance I don't think Assist Trophies are the worst thing ever. It's still fun to pick one up and see something like Wily Capsule 7, Yuri Kozukata, or Sukapon come out to prove themselves.

What I will agree is an issue is Sakurai thinking Assists are something to be really excited over, especially in this day and age when DLC is a thing. I really did not see a point to having 59 of these in Ultimate, it just felt like too much over-compensation. Fans would rather their character not appear at all than have time put into them being unplayable for the next decade.

Then you could go into the specifics. How come Sonic and Mega Man both have two Assists now while Castlevania and Street Fighter have two fighters? Is this supposed to mean something, or is it just a consolation prize for the former examples?

Basically what I'm saying is: Assist Trophies are a great idea, but the picks often feel tonedeaf towards peoples' desires. In terms of who got picked I think this lineup is excellent (in fact I'd argue it's more interesting than the fighters to an extent), but it also just feels like some sort of graveyard for characters that are unlikely to get the ticket for a while, if ever. Shadow, Lyn, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh etc. have been in there for over ten years now, for some I think that's a bit much.

Call me butthurt or obsessive or whatever, that's just my two cents.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Even though I'm part of the Assist Alliance I don't think Assist Trophies are the worst thing ever. It's still fun to pick one up and see something like Wily Capsule 7, Yuri Kozukata, or Sukapon come out to prove themselves.

What I will agree is an issue is Sakurai thinking Assists are something to be really excited over, especially in this day and age when DLC is a thing. I really did not see a point to having 59 of these in Ultimate, it just felt like too much over-compensation. Fans would rather their character not appear at all than have time put into them being unplayable for the next decade.

Then you could go into the specifics. How come Sonic and Mega Man both have two Assists now while Castlevania and Street Fighter have two fighters? Is this supposed to mean something, or is it just a consolation prize for the former examples?

Basically what I'm saying is: Assist Trophies are a great idea, but the picks often feel tonedeaf towards peoples' desires. In terms of who got picked I think this lineup is excellent (in fact I'd argue it's more interesting than the fighters to an extent), but it also just feels like some sort of graveyard for characters that are unlikely to get the ticket for a while, if ever. Shadow, Lyn, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh etc. have been in there for over ten years now, for some I think that's a bit much.

Call me butthurt or obsessive or whatever, that's just my two cents.
Assist trophies does have a type of benefit for what you make of it but it is still mostly frustrating.

Also unpopular opinion, Shadow has the most broken bandwagon. I'm extremely happy Sakurai has acknowledged my boy Knuckles.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Based off of the user above mentioning the Assist Alliance, I think it's terrible and a miracle the farce has lasted that long. I get the idea, lots of Assist Trophies would be pretty cool if they become playable, some choices of mine became Assists after all, but to pretend you're a movement with the same goals is a lie. If an Assist became playable as DLC, it's going to be like what happened to Decidueye support post E3, people will go "Lol got the Assist promotion I wanted k bye" and people are going to argue "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAVOURITE THAT GOT TO BE PROMOTED THE ONE THAT ACTUALLY GOT PROMOTED SUCKS!". The only way it would end well is if all the Assists became playable which is a ****ing nightmare with over 40 potential newcomers

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Based off of the user above mentioning the Assist Alliance, I think it's terrible and a miracle the farce has lasted that long. I get the idea, lots of Assist Trophies would be pretty cool if they become playable, some choices of mine became Assists after all, but to pretend you're a movement with the same goals is a lie. If an Assist became playable as DLC, it's going to be like what happened to Decidueye support post E3, people will go "Lol got the Assist promotion I wanted k bye" and people are going to argue "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAVOURITE THAT GOT TO BE PROMOTED THE ONE THAT ACTUALLY GOT PROMOTED SUCKS!". The only way it would end well is if all the Assists became playable which is a ****ing nightmare with over 40 potential newcomers
I think the idea of Assist Alliance is to promote the "most popular" ones first and then move down the totem pole.

But I agree it would probably end up a nightmare anyway.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
A quote above mentioned an issue with assist trophies, that "Fans would rather their character not appear at all than have time put into them being unplayable for the next decade.". Which I believe is true for some, but no less stupid. Which is why those fans should never be taken seriously. Ever.

This is also a product of how we are taught an "all or nothing" mentality. That we gotta get everything we wish for or we can't be happy. And this is more notorious in the younger generations within this community. Their egos are so fragile that they let anything rain on their parade when it comes to Smash. They get two out of three characters they wanted in Smash, while the other one becomes an assist trophy; yet this is enough to create bad blood. They let something innocuous ruin an otherwise good experience.

And these people come to wish that those assist trophies weren't even there, which is moronic. I wanted Zero in Smash but I'm happy to see him anyways. Yacht Games were happy as well that their boy Shovel Knight was in Smash: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ames_discover_shovel_knight_in_smash_ultimate

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1399694-super-smash-brothers-ultimate

Yet, some people want to take this away from others because of their own selfishness?

If people go to those extremes for being dissapointed, then that's on them. It's your fault for being dissapointed.

And this "assist alliance" is news to me but sounds cringey. Seems to me like a group of people who can't get over themselves.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the idea of Assist Alliance is to promote the "most popular" ones first and then move down the totem pole.

But I agree it would probably end up a nightmare anyway.
That would just prove me right, the popular ones getting promoted first will have people drop support of this 'alliance' faster because of the "Got mine" mentality. And if they don't go for the most popular picks and do say, Starfy, they'll end up fighting each other over if Starfy was the one worthy of promotion

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>People rather having nothing at all than their character being in as an Assist Trophy.
>Meanwhile I'm here concerned that my most wanted won't even get acknowledged as a glorified PNG...

There is no guarantee that your most wanted would even make it in as DLC even if they are nowhere to be found anywhere else in the game. Isaac fans learned that the hard way during smash 4.

I'd personally rather see Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright be at least present in some capacity in the game than go through yet another Smash cycle where their existence isn't even acknowledged whatsoever, even after DLC is all said and done. But that's just my unpopular opinion I guess...

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That would just prove me right, the popular ones getting promoted first will have people drop support of this 'alliance' faster because of the "Got mine" mentality. And if they don't go for the most popular picks and do say, Starfy, they'll end up fighting each other over if Starfy was the one worthy of promotion
Agreed. While I've never seen Assist Alliance fans actively get hostile toward each other, I have seen hostility on support threads where people have the "all or nothing" mentality or that there's only so much room for newcomers. Basically, some people think that only X amount of AT's or spirits have a chance to become a fighter, so it becomes an up for grabs free for all to decide who that should be.

For example, a few months ago on the Bandana Waddle Dee support thread there was a huge argument over whether or nor BWD should get in over Marx. The mentality was that only one Kirby character had the possibility to become a fighter and it became a huge dispute over who should own that spot.

I can kind of see the same thing happening to AT's. If Nintendo ever announces a poll and says that there's a possibility of an AT becoming a figher, fans of Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, etc. will be tearing at each others' throats to decide who the top AT is.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Assist trophies either need a big rebrand like the clones or be removed entirely. It's very clear that most of the community treat them as some mark of shame, as if Sakurai himself has a personal vendetta against them being playable E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶ ̶L̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶,̶ ̶I̶s̶a̶b̶e̶l̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶D̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶S̶a̶m̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶
I'd suggest either making them playable in a special mode similar to the end World of Light (albeit with a simplified moveset) or just add a stage and music from their franchise if their series is new to smash.

As for DLC fighters, I hope they toy around with the idea of including non protag and mascot characters. I honesty wouldn't mind seeing a support or villian character get the spotlight for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom